• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

summer clothes - opinions please

Leigh Macklin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances {2016}, Portugese {2017}, CdN {2019},
God willing I will be walking out of Biarritz in July. I run very cold and have fine tuned my gear for hot hiking and very cold winter hiking, but am unsure what is enough for a 'cooler' camino. I assume I will just wear everything on an unusually cold day. Fellow cold folk who walked CdN in the summer, would wearing everything I have be enough? Toss it 1 more warmth layer?? Change short gaiters for long???

Top: merino tank, quick dry short sleeve, long sleep merino top, waterproof windbreaker
Bottom: running leggings, waterproof skirt
Misc: UV buff, merino buff, short gaiters, use extra socks as mittens

Many thanks, LAM

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
God willing I will be walking out of Biarritz in July. I run very cold and have fine tuned my gear for hot hiking and very cold winter hiking, but am unsure what is enough for a 'cooler' camino. I assume I will just wear everything on an unusually cold day. Fellow cold folk who walked CdN in the summer, would wearing everything I have be enough? Toss it 1 more warmth layer?? Change short gaiters for long???

Top: merino tank, quick dry short sleeve, long sleep merino top, waterproof windbreaker

Many thanks, LAM

Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work -- as one an example -- for your time on Camino.

Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my backpack. Besides it being used during the Fall on the Camino last year, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation) And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done as well as on Camino. This clothing list covered what I have encountered from hot, desert heat to below freezing temperatures.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a long sleeved synthetic and lightweight shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going.

I also only use long sleeves which are cooler in the heat because they prevent the direct infrared radiation of the sun from heating the skin. If I want my arms bare, I just hike-up my sleeves. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use a t-shirt, half zip fleece, full zip fleece jacket. (And poncho in the rain). This works for me in summer and winter. One shorts and one pair of zip off leg trousers. (Or two pairs of zip off trousers). Usually when walking I wear a t-shirt and shorts, adding the fleece jacket at rest stops when chilly and in the evening. The half zip fleece is rarely used in summer. It is suprising how warm you get by walking!

Hope this helps
Davey

Many thanks, LAM

July in Spain is HOT! I don’t know what you consider cold but I wouldn’t even take a jacket. I’m walking next week and wearing nothing more than a short skirt and a T-shirt. I’m taking a super lightweight synthetic shirt jacket in case the early morning drops below 40F. Hiking with back will make you warm. No reason to increase the amount of sweating you’re already going to be doing :)

July in Spain is HOT! I don’t know what you consider cold but I wouldn’t even take a jacket. I’m walking next week and wearing nothing more than a short skirt and a T-shirt. I’m taking a super lightweight synthetic shirt jacket in case the early morning drops below 40F. Hiking with back will make you warm. No reason to increase the amount of sweating you’re already going to be doing :)

My experience has been diferent. I am 'over equiped' as I tend to do a lot of sleeping outside. But every time I have walked I have lent clothes and/or my sleeping bag to pilgrims in albergues who are cold and wished they had brought a jacket. Even in high summer. The meseta for instance may be 35-40 degrees during the day, but is very cold at night. Around 50% of evenings I wore a fleece. Plus it can get a bit windy on the Norte. Everyone is different though. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The temperature at 7 am is currently 0 to 2 Celsius yesterday we actually had frost, by 10 A.m it was a pleasant 10 Celsius (50 F ) with glorious sunshine so t shirt and shorts time.

Planning on packing only what I know I will use with the mindset that it will be possible to pick up another warm layer along the way if needed. Am I being realistic?

1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
Hi davebugg,

I'd love your advice...

I am walking Camino/Primitive May through June. Planning on summer weight short sleeve mohair top, 3/4 zip long sleeve Patagonia Capilene thermal weight layer with a Patagonia micropuff vest for upper body layering. Will be wearing shorts on bottom. But am also bringing one pair of tights also.

I tend towards heating quickly when moving and chilling quickly when I am still.

Thanks for your thoughts!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Many thanks, LAM
I started reading this post and thought, why am I reading this I always walk in the fall. Then I realized we are similar in as much as I think I deal with things alot better when the temperature is cooler than when it is really hot. Funny as I now live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Anyway I digress. When I saw you mentioned you walk in cold weather, my interest was piqued. I will be walking the Frances this year with my first step out of SJPP on October 29th. I have everything I need except I have no idea of what to buy with regards pants and base layers and boots. I was wondering what you have used as I assume your other caminos have been in cold weather. Any help would be appreciated greatly. I know I probably will be making a post in the equipment thread that I will call, (I just thought of this, isn't it brilliant, What to wear on the CF starting October 29th? Pretty catchy huh???) So if you happen to check it out maybe you can post any suggestions there as I will go into detail about what I would like. Oh yea, I walked the Norte last year ending in Santiago about November 1st. Towards the end some of the albergues were colder inside than it was outside. I was only using a silk liner and had every stitch of clothes on. It is a really beautiful camino. Lots of ups and downs, and I mean really ups and really downs, but the scenery was wow to say the least. Alot of road walking but there is tons of information on the Norte thread about alternative routes to avoid some of them, if you want to. The Wise Pilgrim app refers to some of them. My daughters chipped in and bought me the Buen Camino app as a going away gift. (So generous for the two of them to come up with $5.00US to buy it!!!!) But I loved that they did it. (I am sure you know how us dads feel about our girls. Even thought they are women now they are still my babies and I loved they bought it for me) Am I babbling or what. Anyway that helped also for places to stay as lots of albergues were closing in late October. It will be more crowded I am sure so it will also be handy for you. One other thing, I think you that generally speaking you will may meet a different kind of pilgrim. Not sure as you will walk in summer. They were more like me. In as much as they enjoyed less crowded caminos. I think more independent minded. They tended to walk alone more and most were not into the "Camino Family" concept. They were still amazingly friendly, warm and generous. I was surprised about how many young people I met. Less into partying and also seemed to have a real purpose in life and walking the camino with a purpose. I was often referred to as dad or even grandpa. Especially when they would zoom by me on the uphills and as they made their obnoxiously funny comments walking backwards downhill as I zigzagged my way down. I will shut up now. You will love it. I have a big mouth! Buen Camino!!!!

Many thanks, LAM
I love all these people who seem to have a mantra.."spain in summer=hot". Not always. I too feel the col d...on the northern part of the vdlp one year it was so cold that me andthe swedes i was walking with bought gloves..i wore my t s hirt,shirt,scarf, fleece and rain jacket

Many thanks, LAM

I bring a very lightweight dress so I can wash everything else while I wear it. I also carry my down jacket that weighs practically nothing and takes up almost no space, is comfortable in a wide range of temps, and - stuffed into a tee shirt -
makes an excellent pillow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.