• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer (July/August) Along the Camino del Norte (2023): Public Albergues and Sleeping Outside

dilemma1118

Time of past OR future Camino
First time pilgrim!
Hello!

First time poster, long time lurker on this forum. I'm planning on hiking the Camino del Norte in July/August. I have been reading a lot of older posts, but wanted to make a newer one for this year!

I have seen a lot of posts about some of the public albergues along the first part of the Camino are either closed, or inundated with tourists during the popular tourist season. I understand the second part is a bit unavoidable, but can anyone give current information about the public albergue situation from San Sebastian to Santander? I had planned to start in San Sebastian, as I've heard just incredible things about the town, but it seems quite expensive and like there's no public albergues right now!
For reference, I have been on Gronze, but a lot of the hostels seem to be 20+ euros (which is out of my budget).

Second, I really love sleeping outside (my bedroom at home most of the time is a screened in porch!), so especially if the public albergues are sold out, does anyone have suggestions for church porch steps/secluded beaches/other good stops along the way to plan for staying outside. I have read some of the sleep outside conversations already, but nothing about the Norte specifically. If anyone has any to share that they would rather not post on the public forum, please feel free to message me :)

Thank you!
Elise

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @dilemma1118 welcome to the forum! I think the Norte in high season on a tight budget is tricky. I am not surprised that most private albergues in the bigger towns/cities are over €20 for a bed. You could try sleeping on the beaches (check how far the water gets with high tide), but officially that isn't allowed. And because there will be campervans and tourists everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if the police is around quite a lot. Some church porches will be big enough for sleeping and staying dry, but a lot of them won't. And again, I am pretty sure that isn't allowed either.

Hi @dilemma1118 welcome to the forum! I think the Norte in high season on a tight budget is tricky. I am not surprised that most private albergues in the bigger towns/cities are over €20 for a bed. You could try sleeping on the beaches (check how far the water gets with high tide), but officially that isn't allowed. And because there will be campervans and tourists everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if the police is around quite a lot. Some church porches will be big enough for sleeping and staying dry, but a lot of them won't. And again, I am pretty sure that isn't allowed either.
Thank you for your insights! I was really excited to do that route, but may end up changing with that in mind. I'm now thinking about doing a couple days along the camino del norte at some of the main locations I wanted to see, then jump down to the camino frances. Do you think the public albergues would be more reasonably priced on the frances, or should I expect higher prices everywhere during this time?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am also walking the Norte in July, starting the second weekend and I started looking ahead for the first few days for private hotels or hostels to book...and there isn't much. I found a pricey Airbnb in San Sebastian but there is currently nothing available on Zarautz (and neighboring towns) for the night I will be there which is giving me some concerns.... Might have to bua through some early sections.

Due to the small size of the Albergues I am worried they will be full when I arrive.

Good luck!

Thank you for your insights! I was really excited to do that route, but may end up changing with that in mind. I'm now thinking about doing a couple days along the camino del norte at some of the main locations I wanted to see, then jump down to the camino frances. Do you think the public albergues would be more reasonably priced on the frances, or should I expect higher prices everywhere during this time?
I am not sure to be honest. I think the public albergues might me slightly cheaper on the Francés, but I don't think there will be a big difference. The problem is more that there aren't as many public albergues on the Norte and most of them are rather small. So that would mean arriving early and waiting in line for the albergue to open.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.