• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer/July Camino

HuffyCane

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2015
This thread is a review of what I packed for a July 2015 Camino journey from SJPP to Finisterre. On many days, we hiked in heat that was the highest ever recorded in that area. So rest assured that the products listed have been thoroughly tested in the heat. We experienced light rain for two days only. While your experience may vary, I very carefully researched products and made an effort to buy what I felt was the best available at the time, regardless of price. You may wish to pack less, spend less, etc. Its simply a matter of comfort and opinion. Im sure people will post comments below suggesting some of these items be left at home. In some cases, I would agree with them. In others, I think their opinions are based on their experience, but those opinions are not necessarily based on objective facts that apply to everyone who walks in July. Keep that in mind when you read my run down and any responses thereto. It will be up to you, your comfort and preference, when deciding whether to bring something along. Also please keep in mind that the size and weight of items affected whether I included them. For instance, I would not have packed a pillow, except the pillow I did bring packed down small, cleaned up easily, and weighed next to nothing. The majority of camp pillows on the market I would have left at home because the comfort provided would not exceed the weight/size of the product. You saw a lot of camp pillows left on the trail and in the albergues for this reason.

The important thing is to remember that your pack and the 1 to 1.5L of water you will be carrying make up the bulk of your weight. Start with that in mind and go from there as you make decisions for yourself.

Hopefully, this list can be used by you as a checklist as you prepare. Buen Camino.

I've listed each item I used, assigned a letter grade using the American school system of letter grades A+ being the best and F being an unsatisfactory grade. I graded each item based on their performance on my camino. Your results may vary.

Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50 AG with Rain Cover. A- A little large for the Camino, but the new suspension system was perfect for me because I have shoulder problems. I removed the top portion of the bag and used it as a shaving kit. No trouble getting it through airline carry-on.

Bison carabiner with rubber gasket to secure both face/neck towel and 500ml water bottle to shoulder strap for on the go use. B I used the towel constantly. I was the only one on the trail with this set up but was asked about it repeatedly. The key is buying small golf towels with metal rings in the corner for securing with the carabiner. The towels were also used frequently as back-up when my camp towel was wet or dirty.

Sleeping: Cocoon silk bed liner. A+ Absurdly small, light, breathable. Worked well. No bug bites. Never got hot or cold.

Pacer poles with spare road tips. B+ Poles were light, efficient, and helped prevent injuries. They were invaluable on the hills and my friends who did not bring poles openly wished they brought some by the end. Road tips fell off. I brought two spare pair and eventually lost them all.

Hydration: I purchased either two 500ml bottled waters or a 1.5l bottle every other day and refilled when water was available. Pricey but the system works for me and my tender belly. A- Expensive but effective. Everyone in my group got the “camino flu” except me. Everyone else had expensive reusable water bottles and/or bladders. Do the math.

Medique Medi-Lyte hydration salts (while walking). A+ Weigh nothing. No sugar. Fends off heat stroke, cramps, while moving etc. Hydration salts are available at any farmacia, but most contained added sugar, chemicals you don't need, or came in plastic sleeves that weighed a pound or more. I wish I had brought more of these.

Nuun sugar free Hydration salts for recovery. A+ Best thing out there I can find to replace eltrolytes without drinking the equivalent of a chocolate cake in sugar. Same answer as above. What is available on the trail is adequate but inferior and more expensive that what is available here.

Footwear:

Hoka Stinson ATR ultra marathon running shoes. B+ Performed well. No blisters. However, the sole wore down to nothing by the time we reached Finisterre. If it had been raining, this would have been a problem. Ventilation was adequate, not excellent. Shoes required periodic rest periods to cool and dry feet.

Keen Newport H2 hiking sandals C I love these sandals. I brought them as backups to my Hokas, since they are designed for walking long distances too. Frankly, these were my heaviest single item. Their performance did not justify their weight. While I did enjoy the comfort and ventilation of them at the end of each day’s walk, they did not dry quickly and there were other performance related problems. I would leave them home in favor of ultra-lite Tevas, Chacos, or just plain $2 shower shoes if I were going again.

Spare laces Did not use.

FootSmart Gel Toe caps for blisters D- I bought two of these. One large and one small. The large one split on the first day and was discarded. Given the price paid for it, I was disappointed. The smaller one performed well, but was lost after 10 days. Would not purchase again.

3x Injinji lightweight toe socks B+ No issues with blisters, but they were hard to keep clean and ventilation was an issue when temperatures went over 90/30.

1x Smartwool Merino toe socks A+ I bought the thinnest socks they had available. While very expensive, they were worth the money. I wish I had brought 4 pairs. (2 pairs for each day)

1x Smartwool hiking socks (my feet get cold at night) A Luxury item. Worn each after walking, even in 40 degree heat. Loved them.

Clothing:

2x Short sleeve Icebreaker featherweight sun shirts A+ Outstanding ventilation and temperature control. Warm in the mornings, cool in the afternoon. Absolutely the perfect item for July camino and no tech t-shirt stink! Dried quickly when washed. These items are expensive, but can be found onsale at places like Sierra Trading Post. I nearly did not buy them because of the ridiculous price for them. I cannot tell you how happy I am I trusted the advice on this bulletin board and took the plunge when buying them. My friends brought tech t-shirts, running shirts, etc. They all stunk, fell apart, and/or looked like crap by the end. Some had to buy additional shirts and discard their tech t-shirts. The icebreakers were a dream.

1x Long sleeve Icebreaker mid weight for layering with rain coat if temp goes below 50/10 degrees. A+ Outstanding ventilation and temperature control. Warm in the mornings, cool in the afternoon. Absolutely the perfect item for July camino and no tech t-shirt stink! Dried quickly when washed.

1x Ex Officio convertible khaki colored nylon pants A Lightweight and perfect for Spain desert plain conditions.

1x prAna Zion convertible pants, B Despite being perhaps the best outdoor pants on the market, they were a little heavy for some of the warmer days. I mostly wore these later in the day after walking or when nothing else was clean.

1 x Lined Nike Running Shorts A- Nearly left these at home. Glad I didnt. Served as lightweight shorts to be worn during laundry time. Swimwear as well as lounge wear in the albergue. I wouldn't bring three pairs of these, but one pair is a good idea.

3x Ex Officio Underwear boxer briefs anti-chafe A+ Performed spectacularly. Very breathable. Worn under shorts while walking and also to sleep in.

Recovery:

Bio freeze packs for soreness relief C Product worked as advertised but various creams and gels are available for a small price at pharmacies that contain topical pain medications. Those products out performed the Biofreeze.

Kinesio Tape A+ Invaluable. Used to prevent tendinitis in myself, treat tendinitis in fellow pilgrims, tape feet for comfort, prevent plantar pain, and head off blisters/hot spots.

Wilderness Wash soap and clothes detergent 89ml size C Product did not perform well and was unnecessary. Laundry machines with soap provided were located in nearly every albergue for 3 euro. If I were going again, I would not pack laundry products of any kind.

Rain Gear:

Westcomb Focus Rainjacket -7 oz! A++ The best of both worlds. The most waterproof jacket I've ever tried, the lightest I can find and packs down so small when it's sunny you forget you have it. Maybe the best designed item in its class on this list. Rain was a small issue only 2 days on the trip so it was not used much. Thats what you want in rain gear: the unused item at the bottom of your pack that weighs next to nothing. Performed well on two cold mornings keeping out the wind.

Outdoor Research Waterproof Baseball style Rain Hat in blaze orange in case I need visibility. C+ Breathability was an issue. Rain jacket had hood. Only used once. Would not pack again.

Packtowel.com travel towel Size M. A Perfect size and weight. Its all you need.

Petzl e-Lite head torch. 27 lumens and only 27 grams! B+ Very small, very light. Just enough light for the early mornings, without any weight. Red dot light worked well in albergues.

Wetbag:

iPhone and Charger/earbuds

Uni adapter

Glide anti-chafing balm B+ Some minor chafing on the two days that hiked “commando” because the laundry was all dirty. Vaseline is an option, but it is only available at the pharmacy in Spain and will cost you an arm and leg, so bring plenty.

Sleeping Meds

Allergy Meds

Painkillers - A- Prescription strength Advil is available over the counter in Spain and worked well when needed.

2x Compeed B This product works well on small blisters, but larger ones were problematic. It would tear off the skin when the patch was removed for cleaning, etc. The product is available on Amazon, but I would wait and buy it cheaper “in country.”

Neutrogena Sunscreen Roll-on. C- The product performed poorly. What is worse, in Spain sunscreen was ungodly expensive and primarily sold in pharmacies. Its worth the savings and extra weight to bring an ample supply of a waterproof sunscreen you trust.

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Contact lens case, spare lenses, Travel size Solution

Glasses

Disposable Razor

Travel size deo

Spork C- Used once. Would not bring again

Ear plugs A+ You need to invest some time and money here. Find the kind that work best for you and don't disturb your sleep. I finally settled on a latex pair that are rated for use with artillery by the US Army and I could STILL hear people snoring. Brought some foam ones I use at the gun range as backups.

Nightmask C Used maybe 4 times. Unnecessary. Would probably leave at home if I was going again.

Ink pen D Dead weight. Unused.

Very small sewing kit, mostly for blister relief of other pilgrims. A I brought a small one lifted from a hotel room. Weighted less than an ounce and used several different times, sewing, blister relief, button repair, etc.

Travel size Kleenex as emergency TP B Used the first day, but was never needed again.

1oz tube Topical steroid for heat rash and insect bites A Heat rash was a problem for several folks and this quickly disappeared.

Silk money belt. A+ Used on several different trips. I only wore it a couple of times while walking, but it was nice to wear it to the bathroom and while sleeping in the shadier hostels.

Passport/Pilgrim Credencial

Rock from my grandmothers gravesite/garden for Cruz de Ferro

Small flag of the Osage Nation to keep me tied to home.

3 gallon Plastic bags A

2 Trash bag liner A+ Wish I brought 4.

Narayan Balm for sore shoulders A- I brought this for its medicinal use, but it also smells wonderful. I wore it as therapeutic cologne at night, but the creams available in Spain were better at attacking sore muscles (see discussion in Biofreeze above).

Garmin Sport Watch and heart monitor. B Having the ability to judge on the fly how far we had walked and how far we had to go was invaluable. However, battery life was an issue, since we often walked more than 8 hours a day. If there are similar products with longer battery lives, I would go with those.

Nemo Fillo half inflatable/half memory foam travel pillow. A+ Nearly left it at home because all of the accommodations provide pillow. So happy I took it along, A good nights sleep is worth more than the weight it costs -- next to nothing and oh so comfortable. Packs down the size of a softball. Love it! A luxury item, but one that made sense for me.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you. I think such after-the-walk reviews are extremely helpful; much more so than critiques of list before-the-walk. My experience was different on a few items (My Keen Newports saved my feet and my Camino; and I replaced them only with Keen Arroyo II to get a better, hiking boot sole), but everyone's experience is going to be different. You post motivated me to get my report done for a second Camino we took in Italy this summer (yes, in July again--short version of the report: it was beautiful and way too hot with no breeze).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My thanks to both of you for the kind words. You are absolutely correct on the subject of the Keens. I was in charge of outfitting our group. I recommended the Hokas and the Keens. I wore the Hokas without any trouble. But had trouble with the Keens. One of the others in our group bought the Hokas, but also bought thick running socks. He refused to buy the Keens. Both against my advice. Four days in, both feet were so blistered both myself and a registered nurse suggested that hospitalization might need to be considered because of infection. He insisted on different shoes instead of just changing socks. Without prompting by myself or the sales clerk, he picked Newports off the shelf. He wore them like The Flash and was completely healed within a week. It saved his Camino (or he could have listened to me in the first place.). We will never know whether the blisters were caused by the Hokas (I had no issue with Hokas), the thick socks or his overweighted pack. Similarly, we will never know if the Keens solved the blister problem, buying thin smart wool socks did the trick, or me dumping 3 kg of crap out of his pack set him straight. or all three. My money is on the socks. He says it was the Keens. You decide.

Still, the weight of the Keens together with similar performance from lower weighted alternatives leads me away from recommending them to others. Great if you are hiking the narrows in Zion National Park. OK, but not without potential issues on the Camino.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.