• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer solstice in Santiago and Fisterra

mswest

Hello-- I'll be finishing my Camino right around the time of the summer solstice, and was wondering if anybody knows of any events or celebrations in either Santiago or Finisterre?
Thanks!

Melissa

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I understand that Spanish youngsters will celebrate on the beaches of Finisterre, but whether it is organised, safe and welcoming I cannot tell you.

I was there for the solstice in 2004 and too tired to do anything but be in my bunk.

Two ladies who did go woke me up when they came in during the early morning, so I was not amused.

It used to be possible to get into the Finisterre albergue after lights out. I don't know about now but bear in mind that you might not want to be locked out.

It will be interesting to see what replies you do get.

Hi whatever you do, you could always round the the day off on the 23rd june(galician summer solstice) with drinking 'Queimada' which is one of the main days for drinking it. There is usually a 'conuxuro'- a kind of incantation read out while it is being made. it is quite a sight to see(and quite moorish), and usually involves a group of companions drinking it and toasting together, I had my moment with it when i arrived at O Cebreiro on the CF. http://www.queimadasgalicia.com/spellofthequeimada.html

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for the feedback. Might have to sample the Queimada! And we're too old and curmudgeonly to party with youngsters on the beach. At any rate, watching the sun set on the 'wrong' side of the Atlantic will be celebration enough for us.

Melissa

The last Camino marker is at the lighthouse. There are cliffs beyond. Sit on the cliffs and watch the sun go down over the horizon.

Take a torch as there is virtually no light on the cliffs once it is dark. There is a cafe there and it will probably be open and no doubt suitable drinks may be had as well.

Be warned. The town and the albergue are 2km behind you. If you cannot get a taxi (or a lift) you will have to walk back along a dark road. Downhill you will be pleased to know. If it is a clear night it will be under the Milky Way and that has its own spiritual joyfulness.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back