• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer Walking

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would in a heartbeat!

The infrastructure on CF allows for a camino on any day of the year. You’ll find water, food aplenty, and hopefully not too much of a bed race.

July may not be too busy.

August is the holiday maker month for Europeans.

So, buencamino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have always avoided June, July and August because they would be too hot, but after walking the Francés from Estella in Sept and Oct this year, when it was in fact hotter than in August, I have no worries anymore. As long as the albergues promise to keep the windows open at night ...

Did it cool down a wee bit at night?
Did you use a sleeping liner?
Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't do hot weather well. Our first Camino was in winter, we will walk October 2019 when it is cooler.

Yes, I walked the CF in July 2017. It was very, very hot, and crowded at the end. But I wouldn't change a thing!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutely. I have walked it during that month more than once. I loved it. Would do it again.
Can it be warm? Yes, but that's the beauty of it. Almost no rain and when it did it was passing. Wore shorts everyday. Carried only a bag liner to sleep in. Backpack only weighed about five kilos. Warm albergue floors. Can even walk around barefoot. Your clothes dry so quickly outside after you launder them. No gloomy, overcast cold afternoons like I experienced during the colder months on the Camino, along with the damp albergues. Instead you have bright, blue sunny skies. Fields of sunflowers and wheat.
Also the beer tastes better in the afternoon on a warm day.
Mind you, proper clothes and hat a necessity as is hydrating. Cannot be over stressed.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to add that the last time I walked in July I commented on how quiet it was and was told by an albergue owner that May and Sept are the busiest months. Definitely do it again but early starts are advisable to avoid too much walking in the late afternoons when it can get a little toasty.

Hello!

I will walk the CF form 6/29 (Arrival in Biarritz) to 08/05, End of July in SJPdP to SdC early August this Year.
Most people will try to avoid the 2 hottest months in Spain (July und August).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm forced to walk to the given date, b/c I work in an public school in Germany. And have to be back to school 1,5 week before end of the summer holidays. So I hit the road one week before summer holidays, lucky me that I have many extra hours.

Hello!

I will walk the CF form 6/29 (Arrival in Biarritz) to 08/05, End of July in SJPdP to SdC early August this Year.
Most people will try to avoid the 2 hottest months in Spain (July und August).
I am arrving Biarritz 21/7 then a couple of days in St Jean PP before setting off on 24/7 - as I love cycling in the high summer I am looking forward to the heat of the summer and less clothing to carry!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.