A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Summit 40 Pack- not as described...

Corwen

Just a warning to anyone who is tempted to use this pack, the Highlander Summit 40:

http://www.oswaldbailey.co.uk/eshop.asp ... T+40+LITRE

On the face of it it seems the perfect Camino pack, lightweight (750 grams), sensible features and price, and best of all the sort of back system that holds the pack away from your back and reduces sweating. The only review In could find seemed reasonable.

So we ordered one at our local outdoor store, since we'd like a pack like this for the Francigena next year. We discovered after weighing it on accurate digital scales that it actually weighs 1430 grams, almost twice the stated weight, making it a relatively heavy pack and not a contender for anyone who cares about the weight they carry. We returned the pack to the store.

So be warned, don't take the stated weight of outdoor kit for gospel!

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I think that a lot of pack specifications are written by the marketing department, not the design and engineering department. I don't think I have a single pack that weighs what it is "supposed" to weigh, and the error is always that it weighs more. Maybe they weigh a small size pack with half the straps removed. I have found that GoLite is the most accurate.

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-18
Looks like they're now showing the correct weight on the linked page.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
They must have responded to a complaint. Back on June 24, 2011, the website said 750 grams.

Corwen

falcon269 said:
They must have responded to a complaint. Back on June 24, 2011, the website said 750 grams.
They did, I emailed them to tell them it was wrong and kudos to them they changed it.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 141 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 235 25.0%