• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sun protection for ladies?

kate0010

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata
Hi everyone! I’m preparing to walk the Via de la Plata route starting on 4/28 and hopefully finishing early-mid June. I’ve got finicky pale skin prone to melanoma, so I’m concerned about sun protection on the seemingly-exposed paths, especially in the southern parts of Spain. My question is what do other women wear on their heads/necks that a) doesn’t look completely ridiculous, b) protects from sun, and c) doesn’t get TOO hot. Any specific models/brands of hats or scarves would be appreciated! Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Howdy kate0010,

I am definitely a man replying here, but I am blessed to say that my girlfriend has been on most of my Caminos, or at least have been patient and understanding when I go on a Camino when she doesn't have time to join me. She has a great sun protection regimen that I admire and now completely emulate, especially in the Mediterranean sun.

I am sure you follow a similar routine (stay covered, wear sunglasses, use sunblock, etc.), and the only unique suggestion I can provide from mine and my girlfriend's experiences, is that sunblock in Spain is very expensive. I've seen it range from 15-22 Euros, depending on the size and SPF. My girlfriend and I both agree that the quality of the sunblock in Spain is amazing, but now that I can buy sunblock in dollar stores where I live in the USA, guess what the biggest request from my European friends are when I ask them if they want me to bring them something from the States? So if you can get better priced sunblock where you are, definitely consider bringing some, and if anyone knows better deals for sunblock in Spain, please comment on this thread.

¡Buen Camino!

I'm very fair skinned. My hair covers my neck. I wear sunglasses if outside, ever on cloudy days. My moisturizer has a 50 SPF, and I use 100 SPF as well, and I re-apply often. I always wear a broad brim visor. I walk early to avoid the full strength of the sun, and keep to the shade as much as possible.
I've never been sunburnt on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wear long loose trousers, longsleeved loose shirt plus head band to stop sweat rolling down my face and carry an umbrella. Don’t have to use (and therefore carry) any sun protection lotion.

The are items of hiking clothing made with SPF in mind, I have trousers and synthetic knit shirts that claim an SPF of 50. Hats are also similarly rated. Exposed skin can be slathered in serious sun block. A broad brimmed sun hat is also good. A walking umbrella, with silver reflective fabric on the outside is also a good idea.

Google: "sun protection clothing" That will get you started...

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Irish-Swedish skin is prone to skin cancer - I've already had one surgery that removed half my nose skin. Shishido has a tinted moisturizer that's SPF50. I walked the entire Frances and didn't always have my hat on. My face never once was burned and I now wear the tinted sunblock every day and look "made up." Best stuff ever -

Howdy kate0010,

I am definitely a man replying here, but I am blessed to say that my girlfriend has been on most of my Caminos, or at least have been patient and understanding when I go on a Camino when she doesn't have time to join me. She has a great sun protection regimen that I admire and now completely emulate, especially in the Mediterranean sun.

I am sure you follow a similar routine (stay covered, wear sunglasses, use sunblock, etc.), and the only unique suggestion I can provide from mine and my girlfriend's experiences, is that sunblock in Spain is very expensive. I've seen it range from 15-22 Euros, depending on the size and SPF. My girlfriend and I both agree that the quality of the sunblock in Spain is amazing, but now that I can buy sunblock in dollar stores where I live in the USA, guess what the biggest request from my European friends are when I ask them if they want me to bring them something from the States? So if you can get better priced sunblock where you are, definitely consider bringing some, and if anyone knows better deals for sunblock in Spain, please comment on this thread.

¡Buen Camino!
On the Portugues Camino the cheapest good sunscreen my friend and I could find was 26 euros and it was not a big tune. We bought it in Tomar so it wasn’t in a small village. I think the only places that sold sun screen were pharmacies.

I have a pair of cooling sun protection arm sleeves I picked up from Korea that keep me cooler and sun protected, but also provide ventilation when worn with a short-sleeved shirt.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I forgot to mention in my other post I use an Ocean Research Sun Runners hat. It is very lightweight with an adjustable strap and has has a removeable protection that can completely cover your neck and face. It is quick dry. When it is hot you can soak it in cold water and cool your head. I bought mine for under $30US on amazon. Mine is white and I have thrown it in the washing machine when it is really dirty without a problem.

I have done both the Frances (2016) and Portuguese (2017) in May through to beginning of June and have always worn long trousers, long sleeve light weight tops, cotton gloves, wide brim Tilley hat, sunglasses and a multi use cotton/poly neck gaiter head bandana scarf (this can be worn on neck for sun protection/wind protection) which can be worn on neck and pulled up from back of neck to also cover head/hair as a baklava or totally pulled over onto hair only for those bad hair days and it helps with sweat.

Hi everyone! I’m preparing to walk the Via de la Plata route starting on 4/28 and hopefully finishing early-mid June. I’ve got finicky pale skin prone to melanoma, so I’m concerned about sun protection on the seemingly-exposed paths, especially in the southern parts of Spain. My question is what do other women wear on their heads/necks that a) doesn’t look completely ridiculous, b) protects from sun, and c) doesn’t get TOO hot. Any specific models/brands of hats or scarves would be appreciated! Thank you!
Get a silver sun reflective umbrella!

Attachments

• 0B93BC43-9D92-4437-BD07-F0AF53EB043F.jpeg
    0B93BC43-9D92-4437-BD07-F0AF53EB043F.jpeg
    547.3 KB · Views: 16
  • B2205C97-A7AF-4085-9D7E-C29594A14AFB.jpeg
    B2205C97-A7AF-4085-9D7E-C29594A14AFB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • C627623C-B024-4A47-BE9D-B1C8F0D59BB1.jpeg
    C627623C-B024-4A47-BE9D-B1C8F0D59BB1.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 14
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Umbrella, big hat and go to Mercadona (a chain supermarket) and buy their sunscreen their btand ia yellow plastic bottle about 250cc it cost between 7 and 8 euros , good one. LIDL have a good sunscrenn as well, their brand is called CIEN , good price and good product as well.

I would really recommend La Roche Posay for sunscreen especially for sensitive skin. I find their face cream super, I can use it for weeks on end without getting any clogged pores or spots and if you get the tinted version(s) you look kinda sun kissed without the usual ghostly pallor of a 50SPF. I use their general factor 50 for my body. I also avoid walking between 12 & 15, wouldn't walk later than June in Spain and also have a factor 40 long sleeved top plus a ridiculous looking but highly effective hiking hat which is wide brimmed and quite long at the back to cover my neck. Bought it years ago in NZ though so couldn't tell you what the brand is!

I met a peregrina who used a lightweight fashionable scarf as an arm sleeve. She placed it on the arm receiving the most sun.

Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look up 'sun protective clothing'. Solbari, an Australian brand has many options for protection from the ever increasing danger of Australia's sun.

I have had ten skin cancers removed. I have inherited the English skin. As pictured, I wore long sleeved shirt, long trousers, broad brimmed hat and started walking at 7 am. I have my hair tied back so neck burn has never been an issue. I used hiking poles so no umbrella. I bought gloves along the way but will definitely buy cotton ones for next time. I bought sunscreen at the supermarkets in Spain but got carried away and bought too much. I walked in August.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back