• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sun protection

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I'll be hiking the Chemin du Puy to Santiago this summer, and was wondering what everyone would recommend for sun protection. Obviously a wide-brimmed hat that would protect the neck as well as face, and sunscreen... but any particular brands/models, plus other gear? I had one skin cancer removed in my early 20s, and burn rather easily, so any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Obviously, long sleeve shirts and long pants, my recommendation is ...
I agree with Bajaracer's basic recommendation for long sleeves shirts and trousers. There are many good brands out there and a variety of styles. I currently wear or carry gear from Mont, Snowgum, Macpac, Ex Officio, Paddy Pallin, Kathmandu, OR, Columbia and North Face to name a few. Generally I keep an eye out for bargains at sales, rather than shop for specific brands.

What I do want is material that dries quickly. Colour selecion should suit the season you are walking in - if you are walking in summer, you might want to choose lighter colours.

For trousers, I prefer styles that have zippered pockets in the legs rather than baggy cargo style pockets all over the place. I find they just get in the way when I am using walking poles. Similarly, I prefer zippered rear pockets, although when I am travelling, I avoid putting anything in these and keep things in front of me. The best trekking trousers I have are from Mont. These have normal slash pockets on both sides, and two pockets on the front of the thigh that zipper closed. These are big enough for a wallet, guidebook or folded map.

For travelling, I prefer a loose shirt with enough room in the pockets for tickets, boarding pass, passport, phone, etc. I have carried neck pouches in the past, but find the slightly baggier pockets on some Ex-Officio travel shirts have enough room, as well as an inner pocket on one side with a zipper for items I want to be a bit more secure. These are a bit of a compromise for trekking, because the pack straps cover the pocket opening. The best shirts I have there have a vertical opening in the centre of the chest that is closed with a zipper. This allows easy access even with a pack on.

I also wear mitts, similar to bicycling mitts but without the padding in the palm, or if it is colder, a full glove. This protects what would be other the otherwise exposed backs of my hands.

In 2010, I wore a wide-brimmed hat, but plan to use one with a medium width brim next year.

Regards

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That is more for cooling than sun protection, I'm sure you could make it work for that as well, the Mountain Hardwear shirt I linked earlier has an extended flip up collar for the back of the neck, that in conjunction with a Sun Runner hat or medium brim hat would provide maximum sun protection.
Since I'll be traveling in June/July, I figure it'll be pretty hot, which is why I thought of the cloth. Should work ok if I have a good hat and sunscreen. Wouldn't the sun runner be a bit warm so close to the skin? Some people on another thread mentioned Tilley hats: http://www.tilley.com/Hats-Women.aspx. What about the T4, LTM6 Airflo, or TWC6 Outback? I do like the look of the women's Mountain Hardwear shirt.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What do you think of convertible pants?

Since I'll be traveling in June/July, I figure it'll be pretty hot, which is why I thought of the cloth. Should work ok if I have a good hat and sunscreen. Wouldn't the sun runner be a bit warm so close to the skin? Some people on another thread mentioned Tilley hats: http://www.tilley.com/Hats-Women.aspx. What about the T4, LTM6 Airflo, or TWC6 Outback? I do like the look of the women's Mountain Hardwear shirt.

I too walked in late June and all of July, the Sun Runner hat did a good job of protecting me from direct UV rays, it wasn't bad at all, and I didn't get the life sucked out of me compared to others walking in short sleeves/tank tops and shorts.
The women's or mens Mountain Hardwear shirt is well ventilated and quick drying after washing, I'd pack two of them and a light technical t-shirt or tank top for evening/sleep use.
I would recommend the Mountain Hardwear sun hat, Check out 6pm.com, they have them on sale as well at the L/S shirts.
Convertible pants? Some people like them, I wore the Mountain Khakis (MK) Granite Creek pants during the day and changed to regular MK shorts when I got to the Albergue.

Last edited:
What do you think of convertible pants?
I have tried them in the past, but don't use them now. I prefer to pack a pair of light weight shorts and a tee-shirt to change into in the afternoon while I do domestic things around the albergue.

I have also used a legionnaire style cap, but never really got used to it, and prefer a medium to wide brimmed hat. I don't recall it being any more or less warm than a 'normal' cap.

Regards,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just a comment on wide brims - too wide at the back can be annoying if your pack is little high which it can be some days if you pack differently for what ever reason. Don't forget your shirt collar will also protect your neck.

Linen scarf. Lightweight. Cool.

I'm not sure why you would even consider convertible pants if your worry is too much sun?

On temperture. Hot varies by person. Partly what you're used to. Partly how your body reacts. Then you have the issue of humidity and how that changes the body's perception .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My legs and forearms have never been a problem. They don't burn. It's the rest of me I'm concerned about.

My legs and forearms have never been a problem. They don't burn. It's the rest of me I'm concerned about.

If you're walking the entire Le Puy to Santiago route, you'll be exposed to the sun on a daily basis for at least 60-70 days, I'm sure that much exposure to the sun would not be healthy for you. I'd rather wear L/S shirts and long pants for walking during the day than having to slather on sunscreen on a daily basis.

I can't wear sunscreen so I take a gauze shirt.
It's actually cooler because it catches the sweat and the breeze.
Learned that from my 95 year old grandmother.

I also wear a brimmed hat and last year I carried an umbrella.
It was a good 10-15 degrees cooler in that umbrella shade!
I felt sorry for people I walked past who were sweating and red-faced.
I was cool as a cucumber under my umbrella!

I'll never walk without one again!
You can get NICE umbrellas in Spain for under 20 euros.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't wear sunscreen so I take a gauze shirt.
It's actually cooler because it catches the sweat and the breeze.
Learned that from my 95 year old grandmother.

I also wear a brimmed hat and last year I carried an umbrella.
It was a good 10-15 degrees cooler in that umbrella shade!
I felt sorry for people I walked past who were sweating and red-faced.
I was cool as a cucumber under my umbrella!

I'll never walk without one again!
You can get NICE umbrellas in Spain for under 20 euros.
I like umbrellas for the sun as well. Also when its really hot here in the desert, and I'm hiking or running. I like to wear a product called Sun sleeves, you can get them nike, Columbia, etc also there are some cheaper options that are good as well. They keep you cooler than sunblock on your arms ,with good UPF and I find them easy to move in.

Buen camino,
Ash

I like umbrellas for the sun as well. Also when its really hot here in the desert, and I'm hiking or running. I like to wear a product called Sun sleeves, you can get them nike, Columbia, etc also there are some cheaper options that are good as well. They keep you cooler than sunblock on your arms ,with good UPF and I find them easy to move in.

Buen camino,
Ash

The sun sleeves look great!
I make arm warmers from up cycled sweaters, so I can just make a pair of these.
They would be handy!
Thanks!

Sun protection is exactly that,I have said before in other threads,a wide brimmed hat,loose fitting UV protected shirt helps to avoid going to the surgeons to get skin cancers cut out of you:eek:...........creams are OK for the beach:cool:...,not for walking in 35c to 40c heat, in full sunshine.......You might not show symptoms of skin cancers when you are young,but ,believe me, when you get on a bit,that is when the problems occur .......in short... COVER UP.....that ball of fire up there is lethal:mad:..................Vicrev.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
make sure all your clothes have sun screen built into it! (that is not a given) I also reccomend polo-necks as this prevents your neck from being burned, long trousers are also a good idea, theya re jsut as cool to wear as shorts and you won't need to apply sun screen at 7 in morning while you are still half asleep, hat goes without saying even better if its sun and rain proof

As far as sun cream goes I have a all time favourite 'Soltan Once UPF 50' by Boots ... it lasts for a minimum of 6 hours so you don't have to reapply during the day (so you need to carry less!) and i's not sticky or greasy like so many other high UPF creams

I'll be hiking the Chemin du Puy to Santiago this summer, and was wondering what everyone would recommend for sun protection. Obviously a wide-brimmed hat that would protect the neck as well as face, and sunscreen... but any particular brands/models, plus other gear? I had one skin cancer removed in my early 20s, and burn rather easily, so any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

The Cancer Council of Australia recommends: Slip Slop Slap - Slip on a shirt (long sleeves), Slop on sunscreen - Slap on a hat!

I think they have also added a 4th, which I can't remember at present, but effectively just stay in the shade. Trouble is that is not easy to do on the camino - especially on the Meseta, where there is precious little shelter - from sun, wind or rain! Janet

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought a couple of Rab long sleeve tops for walking in August. They are SPF30 rated plus they also have an antibacterial treatment. I wore the same top for about five days, no smells, no sunburn. They aren't cheap but fantastic performance.

I also use P20 all day sunblock. Put it on 15min before setting off and it is allegedly good for all day. I usually reapplied in the afternoon just to be safe.

I also use P20 all day sunblock. Put it on 15min before setting off and it is allegedly good for all day. I usually reapplied in the afternoon just to be safe.
I would be very cautious about claims of all day protection. The Skin Cancer Foundation advice (http://www.skincancer.org) is to re-apply every two hours. This is from the foundation's website:

'But there are problems with the SPF model: First, no sunscreen, regardless of strength, should be expected to stay effective longer than two hours without reapplication. Second, "reddening" of the skin is a reaction to UVB rays alone and tells you little about what UVA damage you may be getting. Plenty of damage can be done without the red flag of sunburn being raised.'

Regards

I think they have also added a 4th, which I can't remember at present, but effectively just stay in the shade. Trouble is that is not easy to do on the camino - especially on the Meseta, where there is precious little shelter - from sun, wind or rain! Janet

There are 2 more additions to the Cancer Council slogan now, as well as slip, slop and slap, there is seek (shade) and slide (on some sunglasses). Many of us from Australia have developed a very healthy respect for the sun (and the importance of staying out of it). Another slogan they use for primary school kids in Australia is "from 11 till 3 stay under a tree"... Not possible where there is no shade, so long sleeves etc are very important.

[QUOTE as well as slip, slop and slap, there is seek (shade) and slide (on some sunglasses)./QUOTE]

Thanks for that HelenvE. I knew it was "s" words, but couldn't remember them at the time of posting. Janet

I would be very cautious about claims of all day protection. The Skin Cancer Foundation advice (http://www.skincancer.org) is to re-apply every two hours. This is from the foundation's website:

'But there are problems with the SPF model: First, no sunscreen, regardless of strength, should be expected to stay effective longer than two hours without reapplication. Second, "reddening" of the skin is a reaction to UVB rays alone and tells you little about what UVA damage you may be getting. Plenty of damage can be done without the red flag of sunburn being raised.'

Regards

UK skin cancer advice is that P20 and other "all day" sun screens should be reapplied to get a more even coverage, not because they question the effectiveness of the extended protection claims. UK advertising law is fairly stiff, claims that like that usually get hammered if there isn't fairly robust substantiation.

As I said, I reapply it half way through the day which gives a fairly generous leeway if the 10hr claim is "best case".

All these fancy ultra high SPF sunscreens are no substitute for full coverage with a wide brim hat, a loose collared long sleeve shirt, and long pants.
If you ever see farm workers anywhere in the world, they are all covered up despite the temperature and stay cooler because the direct sunlight is not baking their skin

I use sun protection #50 on my face, neck, arms and hands. I always wear a very light weight scarf around my neck, which can double up as a pillow protector at night. I always wear long pants and.... We carry an umbrella, which was brought once in Leon during pouring rain, never thinking how useful it turned out to be when walking under the blazing sun! It has turned out invaluable! Anne

I use sun protection #50 on my face, neck, arms and hands. I always wear a very light weight scarf around my neck, which can double up as a pillow protector at night. I always wear long pants and.... We carry an umbrella, which was brought once in Leon during pouring rain, never thinking how useful it turned out to be when walking under the blazing sun! It has turned out invaluable! Anne
How does one walk with an umbrella AND trekking poles?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Checked into this. It comes with a silver-colored coating that would definitely be worthwhile in the sun. Downside: it weighs 13.3 oz, even though made primarily of fiberglass and nylon. Yet another benefit vs. risk consideration.
Take a look at these: http://www.amazon.ca/s/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Had one from the Dollar Store on my 1st Camino. Not ubber comfortable around the forehead but if you wore a buff it might be better.

€60,-
See a separate thread for my "gear report," which contains a description of the clothing system I would use if I were to walk again in the summer. It contains a heretical suggestion that one of your two pairs of clothing be cotton for the really hot parts of the walk. For me, even the breathable nylon was too hot for the Meseta (and even before in Riojas). YMMV.

As for convertible pants, I would not. I had them along, and always ended up walking with the legs attached for sun protection. Non-convertible pants are lighter, so I'd save the weight.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.