• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sun Umbrella

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Just watching a 'Rob's Camino' video on YouTube. He says he never walks without poles, but recommends taking a sun umbrella??
I have done three Caminos an always use poles. Confused as to how the mechanics of using poles whilst carrying an umbrella actually works . .
I'm on a medication now that causes me to burn really easily, so if there's a way - count me in!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hiking umbrellas hook to the front or back of your pack to keep your hands free. You could use just about any umbrella although most are too transparent to protect you from the sun. Some people will use small bungie cords or similar to attach the handle to the front of the shoulder straps but a proper hiking umbrella with UV protection should come with some sort of attachment system. There is one here https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/products/swing-handsfree-trekking-umbrella but others can be found by a simple google search for hiking umbrella, many are in the $50-$75 range, weights vary per brand.
I did see a few when I walked in '21. They looked both silly and useful!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I tend to 'MacGyver' my Umbrella to my pack straps with elastic cords.
I've avoided the longer 'handsfree' versions to date. Mainly as they are heavier, but also I find I get greater flexibility in positioning, with a shorter handle. Though of course the long handle, can be shortened. :rolleyes:

Next Camino I'm trying these straps. Should make things a lot easier.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use the Zpacks UV umbrella for sun and rain. I have double clips on my pack harness. I just use one trekking pole and that makes it easy to steady the umbrella in gusty wind. I saw 6 other umbrellas in use in a two week period on the Frances last fall. In the sun. Silly? No. Buen Camino.

I'm on the fence with the umbrella. Used one for the first time last year when there was a week long heatwave in Spain. It certainly helped for that . I tied mine with elastic bands to pack a few days , so I had my hands free. However A wide brim hat works better for me, but obviously you need more protection due to your issue getting sunburned faster. Maybe a light long sleeved shirt might work too when it's not crazy hot?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear a white PFG fishing shirt (Columbia brand) with long sleeves and a fishing hat with a sun visor that also has the sun drape on the back and sides that you can store inside the back of the hat. An umbrella would be just one more thing for me to have to keep track of, but I don't use an umbrella in the rain either. Just a good rain coat/poncho is enough for me.

I have used the Euroschirm handsfree umbrella for many years. Have just bought my third trekking umbrella since they brought out a foldable one. It has a UV protective coating and being rather large it protects my whole upper body. I do not have to wear a hat thus enjoying the slightest breeze. Of course it protects me against the rain as well!

By the way you can buy it in Ivar’s shop….

Just watching a 'Rob's Camino' video on YouTube. He says he never walks without poles, but recommends taking a sun umbrella??
I have done three Caminos an always use poles. Confused as to how the mechanics of using poles whilst carrying an umbrella actually works . .
I'm on a medication now that causes me to burn really easily, so if there's a way - count me in!
I got a sun umbrella (through the Forum Store). It clips to one of the shoulder straps and the waist belt, so you can use it hands-free. I haven't used it on Camino yet. I'll be taking it on my summer Camino de Madrid and expect will have an opportunity to see its benefits then.

There are ways to attach an umbrella to your pack so that your hands are free. I can't explain it, but pretty sure there are videos online that show how to do this. My husband often uses both his poles and his umbrella. If you can't find a demo, send me an email at backpack45 at sign here yahoo.com and I'll try to help you further.

I loved my Gossamer Gear umbrella when I was on the Portuguese last summer. I found it better than my wide brimmed hat since it kept most of my body cooler. Like being in the shade on a hot day. I was only able to use it 4 or 5 days before I left it in a cafe and didn’t notice until way down the road. I will be using a new one on the Frances in March. This time for rain.

frm

Last edited:
Just make sure that you thoroughly test whatever you're planning to do well before you set off!
I've had to try and combine a few different systems before I found a combination I'm (mostly) happy with.
In general the systems don't really seem to be designed with ladies that are more well endowed in mind!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sun umbrella's come in very handy. I use mine for rain, heat, and shade. I bought some built for thru hikers so they are pretty durable yet very lightweight. You can buy handsfree attachments or make your own. I use one attachment to attach it to my straps near my shoulder and another to attach it to my straps near the lower chest area. In high winds - it is hard to keep it steady (and can damage the umbrella), but if you get it nice and snug to your shoulder strap you can be mostly handsfree. I used it quite a bit on the Frances - and didn't bring it on the Norte/Primitivo, but will definitely bring it on the Via Francigena through France.

Test it out and practice with it before you leave so you can figure out what works for you at home - so you aren't frustrated with it on the trail. Search for some online videos - there are some tricks that are harder to explain in print.

I wear a white PFG fishing shirt (Columbia brand) with long sleeves and a fishing hat with a sun visor that also has the sun drape on the back and sides that you can store inside the back of the hat. An umbrella would be just one more thing for me to have to keep track of, but I don't use an umbrella in the rain either. Just a good rain coat/poncho is enough for me.
So interesting how 1 perfect thing works for 1 person and is entirely wrong for another. I bought a Columbia brand shirt too for sun purposes. Out on a test run I could smell myself stink within an hour. Within 3 hours other people could smell me 10 feet away. I have no idea why, it was a good shirt. Just didn’t work for me.

Here’s another thread with info on umbrellas -

Last edited:
So interesting how 1 perfect thing works for 1 person and is entirely wrong for another. I bought a Columbia brand shirt too for sun purposes. Out on a test run I could smell myself stink within an hour. Within in 3 hours other people could smell me 10 feet away. I have no idea why, it was a good shirt. Just didn’t work for me.

Here’s another thread with info on umbrellas -
Yes, we use them for fishing trips as well as the Camino. My husband's is about 14 years old and I had to buy a new one for this year since I accidently left my old one on a bus in Spain. Could be the fabric or personal chemistry, but ours do not smell Mine is white and his is sort of khaki colored. We were both in the Army and umbrellas were not allowed so perhaps that is why I never got used to using one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Umbrellas are very common in Vancouver, albeit for rain rather than sun. But an umbrella with UV protection works for sun and rain.

I can understand people who don't generally use umbrellas in their regular life - for rain or sun - not considering them useful, but if you're accustomed to using one almost daily then it's almost a no-brainer to take one. I've never used one for the sun before, but I've read it can be up to 10 degrees cooler under an umbrella, so I figure it may come in handy at times, particularly if I'm walking during a heat wave.

Although to be perfectly honest I wasn't planning on taking one, figuring I would buy one along the way if I needed one. But I got a good quality sun umbrella as a Christmas present, so now I'm pretty much obliged to take it with me... :)

I walk in spring and am not particularly fair skinned, so I bring a cheap umbrella from home mostly to use for drizzle and light rain. I am able to hold it while resting its backside against my backpack. It works fine as I only use one of my poles for walking.

People might be interested to know that any umbrella will provide considerable protection from the sun. It doesn't need to be a silver-coated sun umbrella. Here is a link to a JAMA Dermatology article about a 2013 study. They compared 23 assorted umbrellas, including one (the Coolibar) that was a silver sun umbrella. Their concluding comments included:

"The Coolibar HU clearly outperformed the other HUs. However, the poorest performing umbrella still blocked an average of 77% of UVR. All of the black umbrellas blocked at least 90%, and most blocked more than 95%. Other colors, especially white, did not perform as well."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are ways to attach an umbrella to your pack so that your hands are free. I can't explain it, but pretty sure there are videos online that show how to do this. My husband often uses both his poles and his umbrella. If you can't find a demo, send me an email at backpack45 at sign here yahoo.com and I'll try to help you further.

This is my MacGyver approach using velcro straps or elastic cords.

Next time I'll try these. much easier.

Last edited:
So interesting how 1 perfect thing works for 1 person and is entirely wrong for another. I bought a Columbia brand shirt too for sun purposes. Out on a test run I could smell myself stink within an hour. Within 3 hours other people could smell me 10 feet away. I have no idea why, it was a good shirt. Just didn’t work for me.

I'm the same. For me it's like wearing a plastic bag! I sweat bucket loads!
I now wear really light weight long sleeve merino. 120-130 gsm.

Sounds crazy to wear wool in hot weather but they are great.
They wick away the moisture, don't smell, and are comfortable to wear.
I've never felt hot in them.

Last edited:
I used to laugh at people carrying an umbrella while hiking until I tried it myself. Now, I wouldn't be caught without one. They make such a difference, especially at the end of the day when all you want to do is shower then elevate your feet.
I purchased the Gossamer and found it to be well worth the investment.

One advantage of my umbrella (any umbrella of course) is the fact that it can give you shade not only while you are walking. Put on the ground, open, it provides shade for your picnic and, most important, for a siesta. Umpteen times I was able to have my siesta under my umbrella!

This is my MacGyver approach using velcro straps or elastic cords.

Next time I'll try these. much easier.
We used umbrellas with the Gossamer Gear clips on the Primitivo last year, and they were great. Right up until I lost mine. And then my solution pretty closely resembled your original idea - velcro and bungees!

I have no idea why I packed a random velcro strap, but I'm glad I did.

The EuroSchirm hands free umbrella, available from the forum shop.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Undecided about getting a hiking umbrella. Doing the Camino this spring, starting around May 1 in Somport and planning to do the Invierno after Ponferrada, so I'm anticipating rain in Galicia. I did a big chunk of the Camino 20+ years ago, and somehow miraculously had absolutely no daytime rain the whole time. I do have a rain jacket and pants and a sun/rain hat with ventilation, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of sun protection from an umbrella that MIGHT make it possible not to be slathering on sunblock constantly and also stay cooler. But I'm not sure it really WOULD be much cooler than a sun hat, and from pictures, it looks like your legs would still need sunblock and maybe lower arms, too. Also not sure it's going to get hot enough on the meseta in May to really need to be cooler. Maybe I just wait and see and buy one on the way if I need one?

Undecided about getting a hiking umbrella. Doing the Camino this spring, starting around May 1 in Somport and planning to do the Invierno after Ponferrada, so I'm anticipating rain in Galicia. I did a big chunk of the Camino 20+ years ago, and somehow miraculously had absolutely no daytime rain the whole time. I do have a rain jacket and pants and a sun/rain hat with ventilation, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of sun protection from an umbrella that MIGHT make it possible not to be slathering on sunblock constantly and also stay cooler. But I'm not sure it really WOULD be much cooler than a sun hat, and from pictures, it looks like your legs would still need sunblock and maybe lower arms, too. Also not sure it's going to get hot enough on the meseta in May to really need to be cooler. Maybe I just wait and see and buy one on the way if I need one?
Why not just purchase a cheapie Dollar Store/China store brand first to see what you think. If you happen to "love" using the umbrella for sun potection, you can invest in a high end Euroshirm or similar at a later date, or for your next Camino.

I'm with you. I just keep my body covered with sun protection clothing. It worked great. And I can't imagine that an umbrella would work that great in the windy areas of spain.

€60,-
Why not just purchase a cheapie Dollar Store/China store brand first to see what you think. If you happen to "love" using the umbrella for sun potection, you can invest in a high end Euroshirm or similar at a later date, or for your next Camino.
Yeah, I'm considering just seeing once I get there whether I really need one, although the cheapo umbrellas usually won't stand up to wind, and they're heavier, so options might be limited. I don't see myself doing multiple, repeated Caminos, at least not for several weeks at a time. When I did my other one 22 years ago, I felt lucky to be able to, and it took me years to really integrate and live out the insights gained on that one. I don't really understand this thing where people do annual Caminos. I'm kind of startled at myself as it is to be planning a longer one again. And one of the reasons I'm doing it now at all is that I'm planning a career change, and if I do it, I won't have enough time off per year to do this again for a while. Probably until retirement. So if an umbrella would significantly enhance my life on this one, it's probably worth doing. I'm just not sure that it would.

all these posts make me smile ! its snowing, blowing a gale etc right here and my son in Scotland is walking to work at -6 (hospital staff). Bless him !

Samarkand.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.