• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunday bus service from Lourenza to Abadin

Suz2022

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2022 del Norte
With limited places to stay in September (I'm reserving private rooms), I have to go from Lourenza to Vilalba on a Sunday. I'll definitely have to use transport for part of this day, cuz I'm not doing 48km in a single day. I looked up bus service (Arriva Galicia seems the only choice?). I was thinking about bus from Lourenza to Abadin, and walking from there to Vilalba.

It looks like on Sundays it only runs once, in the afternoon, and that's too late for me. Since I'm twisted up in the Galician names for the towns, there's some chance I'm not looking at the right departure/arrival locations. Does anyone have 2022 experience on this? Worst case, I'll beg for a taxi on a Sunday morning.

Related advice would be greatly appreciated, including which taxi you might have used from Lourenza. This is my first Camino, and I don't know what I don't know. [I do NOT have the option of not covering this length on that day, as I've booked all my rooms from there to the end...sigh]

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
With limited places to stay in September (I'm reserving private rooms), I have to go from Lourenza to Vilalba on a Sunday. I'll definitely have to use transport for part of this day, cuz I'm not doing 48km in a single day. I looked up bus service (Arriva Galicia seems the only choice?). I was thinking about bus from Lourenza to Abadin, and walking from there to Vilalba.

It looks like on Sundays it only runs once, in the afternoon, and that's too late for me. Since I'm twisted up in the Galician names for the towns, there's some chance I'm not looking at the right departure/arrival locations. Does anyone have 2022 experience on this? Worst case, I'll beg for a taxi on a Sunday morning.

Related advice would be greatly appreciated, including which taxi you might have used from Lourenza. This is my first Camino, and I don't know what I don't know. [I do NOT have the option of not covering this length on that day, as I've booked all my rooms from there to the end...sigh]

Hi and welcome here on this forum .I see that this is your first post.

I'm sure Norte pilgrims will chime in and give you up to date information.

I did not walk the Norte but from experience I know that busschedules in smaller towns are limited on a Sunday. So you are lucky that on that route you have a least one bus that day.

Did you book refundable rooms? I ask this because there might be a chance that you have to change your schedule en route while walking? And no I'm not talking about major incidents but you might experience some minor foot issues or a tummybug and the likes.
IMHO on Camino you have to take into consideration that even the best made plans need some rescheduling.

A good tool to plan your travels.

For local taxis.

These companies will also advertise themselves via flyers ( to be found in albergues or pinned to a tree).

All the best with your preparations and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome here on this forum .I see that this is your first post.

I'm sure Norte pilgrims will chime in and give you up to date information.

I did not walk the Norte but from experience I know that busschedules in smaller towns are limited on a Sunday. So you are lucky that on that route you have a least one bus that day.

Did you book refundable rooms? I ask this because there might be a chance that you have to change your schedule en route while walking? And no I'm not talking about major incidents but you might experience some minor foot issues or a tummybug and the likes.
IMHO on Camino you have to take into consideration that even the best made plans need some rescheduling.

A good tool to plan your travels.

For local taxis.

These companies will also advertise themselves via flyers ( to be found in albergues or pinned to a tree).

All the best with your preparations and Buen Camino.
Thanks, I think the taxis will be the solution (hoping they run on Sundays!). I'd already noted their names from my google search and will look for their flyers.

On your "IMHO" point, I know that if something happens, I may have to eat the cost and pay for transit to get back on schedule as soon as I can. I didn't want to be so tightly scheduled, but was advised by people who've been there in 2022 to book before going, especially as I prefer a private room. It'll all work out somehow, even though it's not exactly how I wanted to do my 1st Camino. I'll do my next one in early Spring, when it's less busy! (already planning ahead)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Of course taxis will operate also on Sundays. Locals without a car have to get from point A to B too.

Firstly - welcome to the forum :)
A suggestion which might help depending on how far you are planning to walk on the Saturday at present, or whether you do have to reach Vilalba on the Sunday or can get there on the Monday instead.
If you are able to change your plans slightly is there a possibility of staying at Mondoñedo on the Saturday - we have stayed at the Hotel Montero which also has an albergue. Also on booking.com it has some availablity with free cancellation for September. (Dates I put in were just to check it out) . It is a lovely place with very friendly owner. Distance from Lourenzà to Modoñedo is approx 8km depending on how the Camino goes there.
Another alternative would be to walk to Mondoñedo, then get a bus maybe from there or a taxi....

Buen Camino

A suggestion which might help depending on how far you are planning to walk on the Saturday at present, or whether you do have to reach Vilalba on the Sunday or can get there on the Monday instead.
If you are able to change your plans slightly is there a possibility of staying at Mondoñedo on the Saturday - we have stayed at the Hotel Montero which also has an albergue. Also on booking.com it has some availablity with free cancellation for September. (Dates I put in were just to check it out) . It is a lovely place with very friendly owner. Distance from Lourenzà to Modoñedo is approx 8km depending on how the Camino goes there.
Another alternative would be to walk to Mondoñedo, then get a bus maybe from there or a taxi....

Buen Camino
Thank you for your welcome and for your good idea. Mondoñedo would be lovely, and I'm going to try again to reserve there. I'll still need a taxi or bus for a bit on Sunday, as those 8.9km won't make enough of a dent in a long day, but this would give me more flexibility on the Sunday.

As an aside, I'm doing my best to not use booking.com based on people having problems. Is this no longer such an issue?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mondoñedo is a very nice place for a stop. I think you would enjoy it.

I’m not sure what kind of problems you are referring to with booking, but here is some general reaction. Booking and the other sites usually do not have access to all of the rooms in any particular place. So even when they show no availability, there are frequently rooms available by contacting the site directly (try WhatsApp, it’s a very good way to text, and many places use it). The other issue about booking is that they take a comission, which means that these small places get squeezed even more. There may have been a post or two about people not getting satisfactory service with booking, but I don’t think that is generally a problem. It’s more about the incomplete access to the hotel’s room offerings and the money they take that lead many of us to try to avoid it.

We have found Booking.com is useful for finding places and their location and websites, but making bookings direct is usually best. Sometimes the cancellation policy or payment system can affect the way to book but most are easy to use 😀

We have found Booking.com is useful for finding places and their location and websites, but making bookings direct is usually best. Sometimes the cancellation policy or payment system can affect the way to book but most are easy to use 😀
thanks for this. I've tried to only use booking when the websites are problematic (some use a payment processor that rejects my IP address). Whether on foot or with an assist from a bus or taxi for a few days, I'm feeling good about my intended schedule, and glad I've been able to directly reserve most places.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino
Tia, your suggestion was really helpful. I've shifted things and will stay at Hotel Montero, which looks lovely and the owner was quite nice over email. The surrounding days now look like this:
* Ribadeo to Mondonedo
* Mondonedo to As Paredes
* As Paredes to Baamonde
While that first day is supposedly 37km "hard," the day before is shorter and I know I'll have a nice bed at the end of it. Muchas gracias!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back