• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunday, October 5, 2014. What's going on?

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
This was the day I left Santiago after walking to Finisterre and catching a bus back. I went to my favourite watering-hole, the Cafetería Paradiso, 29 Rúa do Vilar. I took a photo of the calendar. Now I'd like to know what's going on. Who is having rocks thrown at him? It could be St Stephen, but his day is 26 December.
1616496696307.jpeg

I've tried googling the various saints listed below the picture, but nothing seemed to match up. The Thirty Martyrs of Messina have been suggested, but there's only one man being stoned (rocked?). Were the Thirty Martyrs stoned?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This was the day I left Santiago after walking to Finisterre and catching a bus back. I went to my favourite watering-hole, the Cafetería Paradiso, 29 Rúa do Vilar. I took a photo of the calendar. Now I'd like to know what's going on. Who is having rocks thrown at him? It could be St Stephen, but his day is 26 December.
View attachment 95918

I've tried googling the various saints listed below the picture, but nothing seemed to match up. The Thirty Martyrs of Messina have been suggested, but there's only one man being stoned (rocked?). Were the Thirty Martyrs stoned?
Perhaps the stoning of Stephen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last edited:
OK. I checked all the names given as martyrs: Atilano to Caritina. A bit late, I realised that I didn't need to check the female saints. The Catholic Encyclopedia was not a lot of use. Half of the names weren't included. The way that they were martyred was not given for those that were. The only information given was the year of death and sometimes the year of birth. So I turned to Wiki, and found that several of the saints had feast days (FD) other than 5 October. Several saints had more than one Feast Day. Asterio was beheaded, FD 3 March; Aurea drowned, FD 20 May, 18 July, 24 August; Eutiquio, killed by pirates, FD 29 September, 11 December; Victorino FD 2 November; Donato, beheaded with 40 others, FD 4 July, 7 August; Firmato, FD 17 February; Palmacio, killed in an unspecified manner with 11 companions.
I need to find the publisher of the calendar.

They look like pirates. My guess is that it's the graphic artist's interpretation of the martyrdom of San Placido. There is very little knowledge about the actual events on Sicily at the time. Some pretty gruesome paintings have been produced since then.
Plácido is not listed as a martyr on the calendar, but his name is there as a monk. I found his name listed when I googled Eutiquio (Eutychius). But he was killed by pirates, as you said, with 36 others (seven named and "30 others" – Wiki), so it seems a bit unlikely that the artist would show only one man being stoned. I don't know what pirates have looked like at various times through history, but the gentlemen holding the rocks don't look particularly piratical to me. Stoning doesn't seem to be a very piratical form of execution, either. Drowning would seem more likely.
Perhaps the illustrations in the calendar have nothing to do with the date. I will try to find the publisher.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stoning doesn't seem to be a very piratical form of execution, either
They raided Sicily, according to the various stories. They are also described as invaders in some short descriptions. And I don't assume that the artist who illustrated this calendar had an in-depth knowledge of scholarly research about the centuries around the year 500 or of martyrology. I corrected my earlier message and added a second link to the Placidos. They remind me of the various Jameses as they, too, often got and still get mixed up in popular religious belief. :cool:

Last edited:
General question: What do the three men holding rocks look like? Country/region? Era? Profession if any? Do their clothes including their headgear and their facial features tell you anything? What's the artist trying to convey to those who look at this image for a 5th of October in Galicia if anything other than this happened elsewhere a long time ago when a saint got killed.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! That's brilliant! A perfect solution. Even the illustration practically matches! How on earth did you find that? Are the readings for the day the same all over the world?
Consider my question answered!

In the Catholic church (and some Protestant faiths), the daily readings are the same all over the world. They are on three year cycles, then start over again. (Sunday readings are on a three-year cycle). So what was read on Oct. 5, 2014, was not read in 2015, but returned again in 2016.😇😄

In the Catholic church (and some Protestant faiths), the daily readings are the same all over the world. They are on three year cycles, then start over again. (Sunday readings are on a three-year cycle). So what was read on Oct. 5, 2014, was not read in 2015, but returned again in 2016.😇😄
I think there is cycle C as well....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you mean a two-year cycle, or the readings of October 5 returned in 2017? But would a Sunday reading always be a Sunday reading, i.e. October 5 2014 was the first Sunday in October, so would the same readings be made on Sunday, 2nd October 2016, or Sunday, 1st October 2017?

Do you mean a two-year cycle, or the readings of October 5 returned in 2017? But would a Sunday reading always be a Sunday reading, i.e. October 5 2014 was the first Sunday in October, so would the same readings be made on Sunday, 2nd October 2016, or Sunday, 1st October 2017?

Here's some more detail

People who want to know which readings to expect on a given day can consult a missal:

Since the readings are aligned (for the most part) all over the world, I guess it's an intercontinental missal. ;-)

Because of moveable feasts (e.g. Easter), the readings in a particular year will not be in exactly the same calendar weeks as three years earlier.

I think there is cycle C as well....
Sorry, I didn't connect that the post says "Sunday, Oct. 5". I just read "weekdays" in the post. You are correct. For Sundays, yes, Cycles A, B, C. On weekdays, only two cycles, I and II. @Raggy's post above goes into more detail, for those interested 😉.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.