• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunglasses / Camino Portugues / Walking in August

YYC on the go

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Central 2022
I'm wondering about spending gobs of money on photochromic sunglasses designed for intense sports. The Ryder's Seventh I'm looking at have not only very protective lenses, but also a nosepiece that resists slipping from sweat. I'm planning on wearing a wide-brimmed hat, but I must say, I don't like hats very much and suspect it will be me, my buff and the sunglasses. Walking the Portugues means walking north with morning sun on one's right, and afternoon sun on one's left.
I'd like some input on the types of sunglasses people have selected for daily wear on the Camino, and why those sunglasses seemed to be best for them.....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In my opinion, sunglasses are a necessity on the Camino.

Don’t worry about how you look - you’ll probably be spending most of your time by yourself . You’re not going to be hit in the face by rocks and pebbles, only photons. Protect your eyes from the sun and glare (ok, the glasses might get scratched up, most likely from user abuse, lol).
Buy one’s that are the most effective for your needs and that you won’t be devastated if/when they get lost or broken.
If you are sweating so much that your glasses are slipping off your face, you might consider, a) slowing down, b) taking a break, or c) calling it a day. :p
Buen Camino!

I have a cousin who is an eye surgeon. She gives two pieces of advice to everyone:

Eat a diet with lots and lots of vegetables with ‘a rainbow’ of colours.

Wear good quality sunglasses - all the time - outdoors; unless you have brown eyes, in which case wear them almost all the time outdoors.

I’ve no idea of the scientific basis of her advice, but she’s a damn sight richer than I am.

I wear Oakleys with Cat 4 lenses.

Welding goggles are darker, but not by much.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Though I'm unable to comment on the specific type of glasses @Looking4suggestions has listed, one thing I found that made a difference in my comfort level was to have sunglasses with nose pads. That tiny amount of elevation the nose pads provided allowed for more air flow and actually made a big difference. The first time I went my sunglasses sat flush on my nose and I felt hotter as a result and they would often steam up.

I'm wondering about spending gobs of money on photochromic sunglasses designed for intense sports. The Ryder's Seventh I'm looking at have not only very protective lenses, but also a nosepiece that resists slipping from sweat. I'm planning on wearing a wide-brimmed hat, but I must say, I don't like hats very much and suspect it will be me, my buff and the sunglasses. Walking the Portugues means walking north with morning sun on one's right, and afternoon sun on one's left.
I'd like some input on the types of sunglasses people have selected for daily wear on the Camino, and why those sunglasses seemed to be best for them.....

I use sunglasses, purchased from my optician in the UK, that are designed to fit over ordinary glasses. That way, I can wear them over contacts or prescription glasses. They have protection at the sides too, so they keep flashes of sunlight out of the sides of my eyes … these tend to give me migraines.
They are also optically correct.
They’re not expensive and they work.
I wouldn’t take anything ‘special’ on camino, just these everyday ones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My sunnies are essential & of the standard everyday type but are prescription with the addition of being polarised. I've never had any problems on any of my walks.
When choosing sunnies, a big consideration for me is the colour of the lenses; my preference is for green or grey. I avoid orange lenses as IMHO they distort the colour of your surroundings too much. 😎
👣 🌏

I wear lightweight wrap-around, relatively inexpensive, sunglasses with polarized lenses that would not cause me great consternation if, by chance, they are broken or left behind. The key for me - besides the polarized lenses - is the croakies, so I can take the sunglasses off and on easily without needing to rifle through pockets. I’ve looked at transition lenses (photochromic) and am not yet convinced I need to make that investment. Good luck in the process of discerning what will work best for you. Buen Camino!

I had photochom(at?)ic lenses in my prescription specs in the late 60s /early 70s.
They were a novelty and worked rather well but I didn’t bother to get them again when next I changed my frames.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My eyeglasses have photochromic lenses. Best $$ I have ever spent as I wear them all the time and hate changing glasses.

I'm kind of a sunglass junkie with over 50 pairs, though I tend to pick sunglasses primarily based on how they look. I'm walking the Portuguese Camino in June 2022 and the sunglasses I picked for the walk are Maui Jim Front Street for two reasons: (1) they wrap around so the sun won't be coming in through the sides or over the top; and (2) they're super comfortable because they're light weight and have a nice nose pad. I wore them for a Crested Butte to Aspen hike last year and they worked out great. They have Polycarbonate lens, and although my Vuarnet sunglasses have better lens using mineral glass, they're quite a bit heaver.

I get my safety sunglasses (eye protection, UV protection and stylish too) at Home Depot in the U.S. for $4.99. They're sturdy won't disintegrate in a day.. I carry extra incase I lose them. That way I won't fret over losing an expensive pair of sunglasses.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wear lightweight wrap-around, relatively inexpensive, sunglasses with polarized lenses that would not cause me great consternation if, by chance, they are broken or left behind. The key for me - besides the polarized lenses - is the croakies, so I can take the sunglasses off and on easily without needing to rifle through pockets. I’ve looked at transition lenses (photochromic) and am not yet convinced I need to make that investment. Good luck in the process of discerning what will work best for you. Buen Camino!
What r croakies? Thanks u

Agree, Amazon have loads , if you leave them somewhere it’s not the end of the world

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Raybans polarized. They are very hard to scratch and have a very comfortable nose piece. With croaking to prevent loss.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Love the spell correct. Croakies
One day I will make it my mission to end auto-correct! Yup - getting closer to liking Raybans or Oakley. thinking about sunlight from the sides, that most 'flat' lenses don't take care of - thinking that sun is only in front of our face.....

I'm kind of a sunglass junkie with over 50 pairs, though I tend to pick sunglasses primarily based on how they look. I'm walking the Portuguese Camino in June 2022 and the sunglasses I picked for the walk are Maui Jim Front Street for two reasons: (1) they wrap around so the sun won't be coming in through the sides or over the top; and (2) they're super comfortable because they're light weight and have a nice nose pad. I wore them for a Crested Butte to Aspen hike last year and they worked out great. They have Polycarbonate lens, and although my Vuarnet sunglasses have better lens using mineral glass, they're quite a bit heaver.
Maui Jim’s and Revos are my favourite lenses. I rarely wear sunglasses but if I do it’s those. As light as possible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What r croakies? Thanks u
Hi Making Trax,
There are a LOT of different kinds/styles. The ones I have my kids brought me from Florida. Croakies attach (different kinds attach in slightly different ways) to your sunglasses. When you aren't wearing your glasses they hang down.croakies.JPG

Check my profile photo - Tilley hat and wrap around sport glasses from Amazon for about $20.

You need both and sunscreen on the CP.
Lots of sunscreen. And walking north the whole time, more sunscreen on my right side - the part that gets afternoon sun!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve worn good sunglasses all my adult life. I don’t see how the intensity of what you do effects the need-it’s how much time you spend in the sun. Portugal is sunny-protect your eyes!
If you're from the Pacific Northwest of North America or from northern Europe, you'll likely find the ambient brightness in Portugal and Spain pretty harsh--particularly in towns where all the walls are white and often, so are the cobbled sidewalks. The other thing you'll find surprising is how short the dawn and dusk periods are: you go from dark to bright very quickly in the morning, and the reverse, come evening.

I need strong prescription glasses so have a pair with photochromatic lenses that I wear almost all the time in central Portugal. The tricky thing is going into buildings. They will seem very shadowy in comparison to outside, and your glasses may not "de-shade"all that quickly. Clip-ons--it seems not that easy to find, nowadays--may be a good and cost-effective alternative for peregrinos/as.

I and others in my age-group (older) may find the bright-sky issue particularly challenging because our eyes adapt less quickly to changes in light levels.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.