• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunglasses?

StorkRN

I am leaving in 20 days for my first Camino! I am so excited and want to express how grateful I am to everyone who posts and answers questions to this forum; what a great reference! I read it ALL the time! I read in one of the threads that sunglasses really aren't necessary (Camino Frances) if one wears a hat? That the sun is never directly in your eyes? That would save some weight, but I wanted to hear other's feedback! I have the weight of my pack down to 18 lbs including water. I don't think I can do better. I also have trekking poles. There seem to be mixed reviews on those. I'm going in with an open mind and I'm so looking forward to it! Thanks again for all of the input!!

Danette

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My opinion: sunglasses are as essential along the Camino as they are this time of year in California. Wearing a hat is not adequate to protect your eyes. Yes take them. It's not like they add any measurable weight where it might be worth a second thought.

Trekking poles - my opinion again - depends on the condition of the person. If you are relatively athletic with strong ankles and quads they may be more of a nuisance, only getting in the way. Despite my opinion of that, many, if not most people seem to prefer having some sort of sticks or trekking poles. Even if they are not a physical requirement, there may be something in that click, click, clicking along the way -- I don't know. You can always wait until you get over there to determine that one. Walking sticks that are certainly adequate for anyone are easy to purchase once on the camino and they are relatively inexpensive.

In discovering this forum prior to your departure you have indeed found a great resource to help you prepare ... I was so grateful for the people who posted on here and provided their insight prior to my own Camino earlier this year.

Buen Camino!

Definitely bring sunglasses. Its not any appreciable weight and it will protect your eyes. Even if the sun isnt shining directly into them, it will be very bright.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi StorkRN,

How exicting that you are leaving so soon! I've been back 2 weeks (SJPdP-Finisterre) but if I could, would be off again in a flash!

Sunglasses: Definately!!! Somehow lost mine in the airport upon leaving. After 4 days without (and red eyes) finally broke down and bought a new pair (surprised but more expensive in Spain than here in Holland).

Walking sticks: already posted a few times about this but YES, would take walking poles. I am fit without a history of knee/ankle problems but developed right knee pain day 5 during downhills. Tried someones' pole and was sold! A lovely hospitalero in Granon gave me her set when she heard about my knee. It's personal but I liked having something to do with my arms. Also find 2 more natural and balanced than 1. I had never used poles so was surprised to see people of all ages using them.

Enjoy the last preparations!
Abrazos,
LT

dark glasses - thanks for raising the thread
i've dug out my old set of Ray Ban Drifters
from the late 80s
as worn by Jack Nicholson
my kids will disown me if they knew
maybe they'll be banned, just like sandals and sox

Thank you for all of the great advice! I will take the glasses and the poles! I was just as worried about losing my glasses as I was about the weight, but it sounds like it's worth the risk! This site has been a true blessing! Two more weeks and I'm off!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And I'll be hot on your heels!
StJPP on the 4th, starting in Roncesvalles on the 5th. Have already done the StJPP to Roncesvalles bit in July.

I took my poles to try them out and I must say that the inconvenience is far outweighed by their help in going up hills!

I'm leaving on June 4th for my first Camino. I picked up a pair of sunglasses today that will cover my regular glasses! I agree that sunglasses are a good thing. Excited about the journey. I've been trekking around Muskoka carrying my gear for several weeks. The black flies are now out in full force and several bear sightings in my area are a bit of a deterrent to walks along the trails here.

I regularly wear sunglasses at home but didn't take them on the Camino. A hat was a necessity but I didn't miss not having sunglasses.

Before doing the Camino I had been bushwalking pole-free for quite a few years. It was with some reluctance that I bought two poles on the strong recommendation of an experienced distance walker and I now love using them on European tracks (which are quite different from the Australian bush).

I don't know how much the poles help but I'm willing to give them credit for my lack of knee and ankle problems.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I strongly disagree with the idea that sunglasses are not necessary. And I'll bet an optomitrist or opthamologist would too. Being out in the sun all day for a month requires sunglasses, period. Don't spend a fortune, inexpensive plastic ones are fine. They need to be durable, because they will get crushed.

Poles are a matter of preference. Try them at home and see how you like them. I carry an aluminum single pole with a cane-shaped handle which helps in balance and negotiating slippery spots and makes me feel a little more secure agaisnt the occassional dog, and also takes a little weight off my feet (which is offset somewhat of course by the additional weight on my arms and back). I find two poles to be cumbersome -- you're always looking to plant them as well as planting your feet, and for me it's just one too many things. I think the long wooden poles are more theater than function-- they're too heavy -- but that's just me.

glennb said:
I carry an aluminum single pole with a cane-shaped handle which helps in balance and negotiating slippery spots and makes me feel a little more secure agaisnt the occassional dog, and also takes a little weight off my feet (which is offset somewhat of course by the additional weight on my arms and back).
To effectively reduce the load on the lower joints, one needs two poles, not just one. The benefit ratio is that you can reduce the load on your lower joints by in excess of 5kg on each pace by carrying two poles of about 250gm each. That is a 20x plus advantage on the first step! Imagine the benefit after the million steps of the Camino Frances. The offset seems worth it to me.

Of course, this only works if the poles are in your hands and being used! Otherwise they are a complete dead weight.

The only time I really worry about where I plant the pole tip is on really steep or rough terrain. I don't find it necessary to watch this in detail at other times any more than keeping an eye on the path for where I would put my feet.

Regards,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"I picked up a pair of sunglasses today that will cover my regular glasses! "

I've just bought a pair of sunglass 'clip ons' that clip onto my normal glasses. Much lighter than a pair of sunglasses- very thin light material. Saves taking two pairs of glasses (one prescription and one presctription sunglasses) as I have done on my last two caminos. The 'clip ons' just flip up when I go indoors and are really light. Looks daggy but when was the camino a fashion statement? 8) . 8 weeks to go!

I've just returned from a grey, wet camino [which I had to cut short]. Of course I took sun glasses - we're talking about Spain here! Sadly, I used them for twenty minutes on the entire walk ... but hopefully the sun WILL shine for YOU! And, rest assured, you'll need sunglasses.
Buen camino!
Stephen.

There is no way on Gods green Earth I'm walking 800km+ in a WNW heading without my sunglasses. I have one set now (prescription), but will need new ones by then. I might take along 2 sets of regular and 2 sets of shades...they're relatively light these days. My thought as to how to keep them intact whilst in my ruck would be a hardshell case (Pelican). I doubt there would be an optician shoppe along El Camino that would have a new pair made using my script in an hour.

Buen Camino,
Wandering "four eyes" Christian :arrow:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sunglasses can be a personal preference. However UV rays may have some contributing effect to cataracts. Most sunglasses today have a UV filter but cheap ones may not.

I wear a Tilley hat that has a brim wide enough to shield my eyes. When I walked in 2010 I took sunglasses and wondered when I would ever need to wear them! But then, when my dad died at home in Canada and I spent the first couple of days walking after I found out, the sunglasses were a blessing. There was no bright sun but the sunglasses hid my tears, and gave me a bit of a welcome barrier between me and other pilgrims when I needed some distance to grieve and begin to process the experience.

Last year when I walked I wore the sunglasses more. They were helpful on the Meseta, and also after I arrived at the albergue each day and wasn't wearing my hat to explore or go shopping. The sun can be piercingly bright, and as others have said, sunglasses don't need to weigh very much at all.

Buen Camino to all of you heading out soon!

Rachel

I had problems with the glare of the sun on my last camino, so for this one I decided to try out some sunglasses. A friend advised me to get polarized shades and I have been using them on my training walks, I wouldnt go without them now. The glare is gone and funnily enough I can see more of a range of colours with the spring flowers, if there is a brief rain shower coming I can see it well in advance of my walking companions without polarized glasses.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wouldn't walk around the block during the day without my sunglasses. I can't imagine trekking across Spain without sunglasses. My Rx glasses for driving are counted among the best things I ever bought. Since I won't be driving I won't need to take those but I will have some sunglasses with UV protection with me.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Before starting one very sunny Camino, I contracted a mild eye infection and had to wear my glasses for the first week -- no contacts. I only had regular sunglasses along, so I thought I'd be in a pickle. Luckily I'd just purchased a new hat with a wide brim, and it worked surprisingly well -- and I'm someone who wears sunglasses almost every day, sunny or cloudy. So my advice is to bring sunglasses, but also a good hat with a nice, wide brim.

Melanie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I definitely plan on a hat. I have one already from my trek to Utah and the Grand Canyon several years ago.
Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen will all be making the trip with me.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back