• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunrise, sunset

bibtracker

My years of planning a camino have neglected one vital thing: the hours suitable for walking at various times of the year.
Living in Australia, I forgot that the length of the day can vary considerably with the seasons in the northern hemisphere.
I understand that in the period mid-September through to early November, it's likely to be dark in Spain at 8am.
What time does it get dark in the evening at that time of year? I may now have to look at being a spring pilgrim next year, rather than going in autumn this year. I have not desire/intention of walking in the dark.
Not having lived in the northern part of the world since about 1970, I had rather left myself in the dark about this (pun intended). :lol:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sunrise and sunset

If you plan your walk on this website, it will not only offer you a print out of the route profile, but also a daily walking schedule that includes sunrise and sunset (or dawn to dusk) times and a percentage of lunar illumination - just in case you decide to try a night walk!

http://www.godesalco.com/plan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sil, thanks for the godesalco site, but I'm not clear on its purpose.
It says to "send" the form. Nothing seems to happen when you do.

When I click on the arrows to the right of "Send this Form" the next page comes up. You enter your starting date at the bottom of that page and the times you prefer then click on the arrows again. The fourth option on the next page gives you a spreadsheet that shows the suntimes as well as amount of moon exposure.

Thanks for responses. Sil has been kind enough to give me full instructions and I can't wait to get home and put them to use (I don't think my schedule pouring out of the office printer would make me very popular).
Much appreciated, Tony

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sep 1, 2007 7:42 AM 8:48 PM 13h 05m 56s
Sep 15, 2007 7:55 AM 8:25 PM 12h 29m 28s
Sep 30, 2007 8:10 AM 7:59 PM 11h 49m 45s
Oct 5, 2007 8:15 AM 7:51 PM 11h 36m 32s
Oct 16, 2007 8:26 AM 7:34 PM 11h 07m 50s
Oct 31, 2007 7:43 AM 6:13 PM 10h 30m 31s
Nov 4, 2007 7:48 AM 6:09 PM 10h 21m 10s
Nov 15, 2007 8:00 AM 5:58 PM 9h 57m 27s

good question. never considered it before. these are all for madrid but they wont be too far off

Not quite relevant to you, but may help someone else's planning - sunrise in Januaryand February is first light about 8.30 and light about 9.00, (we started every day with a miner's headlight). Night fell about 6, getting very dark and cold from about 5.30.

My special thanks to Sillydoll for sending me (off list) the tips for using the godesalco site.
What a fascinating site! I especially like the way that when you change your towns, everything else updates automatically. I foresee endless hours spent working out alternative schedules (when I should be out training!).
It's proving really useful for planning some short days, as well.

Cheers, Tony

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back