• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sunrise times

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
If the sunrise time is 8am (as it is in Madrid in September), how much before then can you be walking? At what point is the "dawn" bright enough to be able to see arrows?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If the sunrise time is 8am (as it is in Madrid in September), how much before then can you be walking? At what point is the "dawn" bright enough to be able to see arrows?
I'm not totally certain but I think you are looking for the start of morning civil twilight.

For Madrid on 1 Sep 2018, that's at 7:49 am and sunrise is 8:18, so roughly 30 minutes before sunrise. There are calculators on the net for working out local times for twilight (there are actually three different types of twilight).

Edited to add: Just noticed that the site timeanddate.com mentioned by @Dorpie has all this information and more and it's very clearly presented.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are at least two good apps for smartphones that can provide daily weather as well as accurate sunrise and sunset times. As mentioned above, GENERALLY, first light (when you can start walking and see the arrows) is about 30 minutes BEFORE published daylight times.

The apps are:

- weatherunderground

- el tiempo.es+

Both should be available in the Android store or the iTunes store.

El Tiempo.es+ has weather information for just about every named place in Spain. I recall reading that the government weather office has remote weather stations all over the place. These are typically solar-powered and regularly report back to the main forecasting computer. I do recall seeing odd boxes with sensor equipment even in the smallest hamlets. I suppose that is why it it so comprehensive. It is free.

Hope this helps.

Rachael when I walked the Madrid last September it never seemed light enough to walk until 8am.

On the one occasion I went out earlier it was pitch black with very little moonlight. It was going to be a long day and I wanted to get a head start on the youngsters who were my companions. I had to rely totally on the gps in my smartphone to keep me on the track, walking up a hill through bush and small trails seemingly running off in every direction. Once the sun came up it was a great relief.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rachael when I walked the Madrid last September it never seemed light enough to walk until 8am.

On the one occasion I went out earlier it was pitch black with very little moonlight. It was going to be a long day and I wanted to get a head start on the youngsters who were my companions. I had to rely totally on the gps in my smartphone to keep me on the track, walking up a hill through bush and small trails seemingly running off in every direction. Once the sun came up it was a great relief.
Yikes! I've been reading that the Madrid camino is well marked and I've been contemplating it possibly for next year...now you've got me rethinking this, Kanga!

@Camino Chris it is well marked! Anyone who walks during daylight will have no trouble at all. Or even at night if it is a day of walking along a gravel road. But this day just happened to be a day of walking on a dirt path, not a road, and that combined with there being no light at all is what made it difficult.

One of the delightful things about the Madrid is that there is almost no hard surface walking. For a long way you follow the old dirt drove roads, on which they used to take the animals north for the summer high pastures.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmmmmm..... Headlamp comes to mind here. I used mine plenty in September during my early morning walks. Instead of placing it on my head I would just hold it in my hand so I could point it where ever needed. I found when placed on the head not only did it shine in others eyes if I looked at them but the lamp was restricted to where my head was pointing.

I feel the headlamp is not only for convenience it is also a safety tool. Go get yours today. :);) Also you won't have to rely on GPS..........you can take control.

Last edited:
I walked in mid April into May and there was always earliest daylight coming in the windows by 5:30am, so never used, nor needed a headlamp...peeking out of my sleeping bag I would know approx. what time it was. I usually covered my face back up and went back to sleep for awhile. My earbugs kept the noise of the early risers and bag rustling from impacting my sleep.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After diner, I suggest walking part of the Camino out of town while it is still daylight to verify your planned exit route. Sometimes the route is obvious, other time the route is more complicated in larger cities. In the morning, the route will be familiar and easy to follow in low light.

-Paul

It will often depend upon where you are & on which Camino. If you are on the Frances in say Pamplona then you can probably start at 7:30: but in my opinion if you are at Rabanal & it’s overcast then even at 8:30 it might still be a bit dim. My recommendation, carry or use your head torch, walk a little slower & keep an eye on your feet & those yellow arrows! Good luck

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It will often depend upon where you are & on which Camino. If you are on the Frances in say Pamplona then you can probably start at 7:30: but in my opinion if you are at Rabanal & it’s overcast then even at 8:30 it might still be a bit dim. My recommendation, carry or use your head torch, walk a little slower & keep an eye on your feet & those yellow arrows! Good luck
I'll be on the Camino de Madrid and I'm just having a little wonder about the practicality at that time of year of doing longer stages and walking to Leon instead of taking the train from Sahagun. Obviously I'll see when I get there, but I do enjoy hashing through possible scenarios - but walking in the dark is not one of them!

Just a thought...
If I want to walk in a beam of my head lamp I can stay at home and walk around the house XY times before sunrise...
If I go to Spain I want to SEE Spain. With headlamp I see at most 30 meters of Spain. Sorry 30 meters of Spanish AG gravel track somewhere ;)

Just my way of viewing things ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But OTOH it can be very nice to walk the well known path during the night. I've done it numerous times and it's so... just magical. Especially in full moon. Ahhh.......

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be on the Camino de Madrid and I'm just having a little wonder about the practicality at that time of year of doing longer stages and walking to Leon instead of taking the train from Sahagun. Obviously I'll see when I get there, but I do enjoy hashing through possible scenarios - but walking in the dark is not one of them!

Hola @Kiwi-family i fully understand. Back in 2015 totally unsuitable weather meant I could not cycle from Sahagun & took the train. In 2017 I was able to walk this section, so my walking partner & I took the alternative old Roman road. For you I suggest you can leave Sahagun at 8:00, there should be enough morning twilight, unless it’s overcast in the east. It’s still basically a two day walk. All you have to do is determine your overnight stopping point. Go & enjoy!

I recommend leaving at "first light" or "twilight", usually 30 minutes before sunrise. You may need your headlamp only a few minutes to get out of the town that you have already seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight

BONUS: You get to watch the sunrise on the Camino!

-Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.