• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Super cushioned footwear for Camino Portugues

Finnie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2015 Camino Portugese (April 2016)
I'm planning to walk the Camino Portugues from Lisbon in September and have read that there is some quite tough walking over asphalt and cobblestones. I am very concerned about my feet (recurring plantar fasciitis) and would like to do whatever I can to prevent foot problems. I would like to know if anyone has tried doing the Camino in any of the super cushioned sole shoes such as Hoka One One. I have seen these at the outdoor store and they look like they would at least mitigate some of the harsher walking terrain. Has anyone used them, or similar cushioned shoes and did they work as foot protectors?
Thanks for any foot saving info, Finnie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bom Caminho! You are opening again a real wasps nest on this one-the continuous hiking boot/running shoe disagreements.. Hoka One One are running shoes with lots of cushioning for your feet a good thing. No support for your ankles, your knees, your back not such a good thing. Watch the weight of your backpack, be aware of twinges, aches and pains, and should you need it know that until Porto a transfer service may be difficult to find.
PS Asphalt. The Portuguese are wonderful people, warm, welcoming, truly glad to see you...until they get behind a steering wheel...their reputaion or lack of reputation in this field is justified. Pack a flag and carry/wave it on the traffic side as you walk roadside. In the past, most Portuguese considered hikers to be barking mad, not really a concern just a trifle.

I had a pair of very cushioned Nike shoes that were very comfortable. However, it seemed to me that since they absorbed so much impact, they also required more force to propel my body on each step. Therefore I had to slow my walking speed, which is sometimes a good thing, but I decided I had overdone the cushioning. (But I don't have plantar fasciitus.) Having said that, I am still interested in the Hoka shoes and would try them if I found the perfect fit.

Has anyone else found that too much cushioning can be, well, too much?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a new pair of Sketchers Go Ultra Trail 3's. They are very comfortable and cushiony. I've only worn them 3 times - each walk was 4-5 miles on a flat, packed gravel surface with no backpack. Hardly a good test. They have good reviews online. They have some sort of "draining-design insole for added dry comfort". The soles look like they would be very stable on rugged terrain.

My wife loves her Hoka's. Both in NYC (concrete and asphalt), and a trail runner version while walking to Machu Picchu (dirt and rock). That will probably be the only shoe she takes this fall on the Ingles. My feet are too wide to fit into them, but that have been the magic bullet for her.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Last edited:
For Portuguese Camino I swear by Hokas. I had no problems doing the long stages in them. On my previous Camino (Frances), for which I didn't use Hokas, sore foot soles and heels were my worst problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore Hoka One Ones last month on the Portugues and loved them. Many of their models have a narrow toe box, so keep trying different models. I walked with Biondis. Only issue is that to be so light the material is also light: mesh is some parts. This means that your feet can get wet more easily, even walking in dewy grass in the morning.

I used them together with custom orthotics, since I have flat feet and suffered from PF when walking tne Norte two years ago.

There are a couple of threads about Hokas, I'm sure you can find them using the Search option.

@ c clearly, this Camino was more difficult for me. Was I dragging my feet because of less spring back in my step? I don't know, perhaps. Or perhaps I was just too tired for this type of vacation this year?

I wore hiking sandals the entire Lisbon to Santiago walk. I got a mean splinter in my foot, which my Little Camino Brother, Sebastian (a medical doctor) had to perform surgery on. (OK, he pull the splinter out; it was a log! It was a tree! It was...a small splinter that had worked its way in pretty deep.)
Other than that, no problems with my feet or my knees (because of my feet). The old Roman roads with their cobblestones were hard to walk on no matter what you wear.
(I walked and ran a lot in my barefeet before that Camino, which could be why I was OK to wear sandals. And sometimes socks with the sandals. Sebastian--a German--was asked a lot if I was German. :p)

I wore hiking sandals the entire Lisbon to Santiago walk. I got a mean splinter in my foot, which my Little Camino Brother, Sebastian (a medical doctor) had to perform surgery on. (OK, he pull the splinter out; it was a log! It was a tree! It was...a small splinter that had worked its way in pretty deep.)
Other than that, no problems with my feet or my knees (because of my feet). The old Roman roads with their cobblestones were hard to walk on no matter what you wear.
(I walked and ran a lot in my barefeet before that Camino, which could be why I was OK to wear sandals. And sometimes socks with the sandals. Sebastian--a German--was asked a lot if I was German. :p)
What kind of hiking sandals did you wear? I'm looking for a pair of sandals to trade off with my shoes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Finnie, I am leaving Lisbon 28 August walking in my walked-in scarpa boots that have been great for all the training I am doing in preparation. My training has from necessity been mainly on hard surfaces and I have had no problems. However, if you catch up with me and I am hobbling along remind me of your super cushions.
Beum Camino

It really comes down to what you are used to wearing and do you have any problems with weak ankles?

I've walked 3 Caminos each time wearing Nike Air Pegasus running shoes. I took these on the Camino Frances, Camino Baztane, Camino Salvador and the Camino Primitivo, proud to say blister free and I wouldn't wear anything else.

Hi,
I hopscotched the Camino from Lisbon to SdC in Hoka 11 Stinson ATR's. I loved them, no problem with feet, knee ,however, was another matter. I injured my knee on the first day coming back to the hostel from the cathedral, and it thereafter became a--walk til you can't anymore, rest a few days then catch a train or bus. I don't believe the shoes had anything to do with my knee problems as I will usually were a knee strap to prevent problems, but having just arrived,I left them deep inside the backpack. I agree about the weight of your backpack, it makes all the difference for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What kind of hiking sandals did you wear? I'm looking for a pair of sandals to trade off with my shoes.
I think they were Merrill's, Trecile. They are at home and I'm at my office; I'll get back to you when I have a look at them. Pretty sure they are Merrill's though... Comfortable as all get out. :)

REI carries a Hoka One hiking boot. They have them in men's sizes for sure. Not sure about women's sizes. As far as I know they are exclusive to REI.
The Hoka hiking boots and shoes are available on the Hoka site.
I am trying out a pair of Hoka Challengers right now.
I think they were Merrill's, Trecile. They are at home and I'm at my office; I'll get back to you when I have a look at them. Pretty sure they are Merrill's though... Comfortable as all get out. :)
Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For what it's worth, my Podiatrist wears Hoka hiking boots and also runs in Hoka running shoes, and he absolutely swears by them. He's my age (mid-50-ish), very active, and does his research before making such endorsements to his patients. My wife suffers from Plantar Fasciitis and Hokas were the boots he recommended she try. Here in the US, REI sells Hoka hiking boots in both men's and women's models. My wife tested the boots on several 6-8 mile day hikes and so far has nothing but positive reviews, but we're about to put them to the trail test in a couple of weeks when we head to Peru to hike the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu. Of course, footwear is always a matter of personal choice and comfort which is a very individual thing, so sweeping generalizations aren't to be trusted. Try many brands before you commit. You'll be happy you did your due diligence. Just my two cents...

I began wearing Hoka One shoes two years ago and they have pretty much eliminated my plantar fasciitis. They now make a heavier model for hiking, both low and high tops. I wore the low ones last fall and walked the Camino Norte with no problems on the trails and no problem on the asphalt. Go for it!

QUOTE="Finnie, post: 420165, member: 50548"]I'm planning to walk the Camino Portugues from Lisbon in September and have read that there is some quite tough walking over asphalt and cobblestones. I am very concerned about my feet (recurring plantar fasciitis) and would like to do whatever I can to prevent foot problems. I would like to know if anyone has tried doing the Camino in any of the super cushioned sole shoes such as Hoka One One. I have seen these at the outdoor store and they look like they would at least mitigate some of the harsher walking terrain. Has anyone used them, or similar cushioned shoes and did they work as foot protectors?
Thanks for any foot saving info, Finnie[/QUOTE]

Very hard surfacing on last year's Portuguese so needed something easy on the feet in the evening. My friend Jo took Sketchers, I didn't . . . but will next time ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi: I know this horse is dead....yet one more stab.... I'm walking the CP from Lisbon, and am having some foot issues during training (glad it happened here). I've been walking in LaSportiva trail runners, and while I find them very comfortable, now I'm starting to think I'd be wise to get more support. Hoka seems to have a unique design (the Meta-Rocker), which helps with a number of issues, and the TOR boot incorporates everything I need. The only concern I have is that they are waterproof, which will mean they're going to be hotter than I want. Does anyone have experience with this boot? Thanks, Steve

http://www.hokaoneone.com/tor-ultra...n1=hokaSurface&prefv1=hiking&start=1&cgid=men

Just finished the Porto to Santiago route yesterday in Hoka One Ones, with orange Superfeet insoles. I loved the cushioning for the crazy sufaces and had no bottom of the feet issues...but was not able to avoid blisters on baby toes and outside surfaces of big toes..I must have needed a wider toe box. Loosening the front (closest to toes) secton of the laces eased up the pressure on my toes, but by then we were in Spain, with few cobblestones and smoother surfaces to walk on...though many more inclines to climb! Buen camino!

I'm in Burgos right now and have worn the Hoka One One since Saint Jean. I had planters facsitus before starting and it has steadily become worse resulting in taking a rest day a few days back and again today. I kept the factory insoles - kicking myself for not getting something better - and they have become flattened out completely. Also, I have blisters on the inside of my heel where the insole meets the upper of the shoe.

I don't know if my issues are from the Hoka One One as a whole, just the factory insoles, or inevitable with my pre-existing issues. I loved the Hoka One One until about day 6 and hope that it is only an insole issue. I have friends meeting me down the road with the Orange SuperFeet and am really hoping that solves my issue.

I am waiting for the BASE shop to open in Burgos on Monday to see about a new pair of shoes just because I'm here and resting. I'm not too confident I'll be able to replace them as my foot size is larger than anything I've seen in Spain (48).

All that is just to share my story. I would HIGHLY recommend getting different insoles no matter what you decide. Something like the Orange SuperFeet.

I'll try and leave another post in a few days after I've received new insoles and put on some kilometers.

Best wishes,

James

A selection of Camino Jewellery
After years of foot pain in both feet, I have finally over came the pain by stretching, good shoe inserts, cutting body and pack weight and using hiking staffs (two).

Per my podiatrist, and own experience, super cushioned inserts break down and compress in a very short time. They become useless. Been there. Used them. NO GOOD.

I have same condition as you. Found stretching helps the most. Especially with foot on side of curb, block, etc. And slowly dropping heal down until feel the stretch resistance. This works wonders. You can find this stretch on line or from your Dr. Also stretch each leg, one at a time, by leaning against wall, tree, pole, etc and stretch leg, with feet flat on the ground, till you feel the stretch.

There is a timing and rep to doing these and other stretched. Again, ask Dr or find on line.

Second, only inserts that work a darn are Super Feet or Sole. They give the proper cup support, arch support, and some cushioning.

SUPER FEET ORANGE USERS READ THIS: Leason learned: don't use the orange Super Feet insert for hiking boots! Use the green insert.

Super Feet take a few days to get used to. Once you do, you will never go without them! Yes, expensive. But you get what you pay for. Worth it!

https://www.superfeet.com

https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/ins...mpaign=PNDLM&gclid=CPXJpJGYtc0CFceCfgodvZsHTg

When walking Caminos I take some naproxen tabs 200mg twice a day. Believe it or not, walking on rock, a rolling type of surface, helps my feet.

In addition to good proper inserts and stretching, the third item to no pain when walking is WELL worn and PROPERLY fitted boots.

Also, do not lug a heavy pack! And use two walking staffs.

What experience am I taking about? From a guy who had to crawl, yes crawl, around the house some days due to foot pain! Now hiking Caminos without foot pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked in Hoka One One shoes and they were fantastic. I can't recommend them enough. I still use them and would walk in them again in a heartbeat.

Hi Finnie, I am leaving Lisbon 28 August walking in my walked-in scarpa boots that have been great for all the training I am doing in preparation. My training has from necessity been mainly on hard surfaces and I have had no problems. However, if you catch up with me and I am hobbling along remind me of your super cushions.
Beum Camino
Margaret, my husband and I are leaving Lisbon on the 28th of August as well. Staying in Penseo Prada hotel on the 27th. Hope we meet.

€60,-
If only that were so. I am tired of our wet winter and wishing myself elsewhere. My walk was last year; what a fabulous time I had. Although I won't be physically there with you I will be if you keep me in your thoughts. You will be seeing what I saw, marvelling at your achievement and soaking up hundreds of years of history. You will know so many of those before you in the names of the roads, the churches, the towns and hills. Enjoy!

My wife loves her Hoka's. Both in NYC (concrete and asphalt), and a trail runner version while walking to Machu Picchu (dirt and rock). That will probably be the only shoe she takes this fall on the Ingles. My feet are too wide to fit into them, but that have been the magic bullet for her.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Which ones did she wear on the Inca trail? I wore Tor Summit Mids on Camino this spring and am currently wearing Hoka Challenger ATR2 on local trails. I am planning on Machu Picchu and am undecided on footwear. It will definitely be Hoka tho.

@Finnie Hokas are very cushioned and work well for me. @C clearly I thought it was age slowing me down. :D

My podiatrist recommended Hoka boots after my Camino. She also made me custom orthotics for daily use. Don't crowd source your foot issues. Go to a podiatrist and get evaluated. Mine told me to stay away from trail shoes and sandals.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm brave. Here's my two bob's worth. I did the camino Frances a couple of years ago in early design trail runners with zero drop, extra wide toe box and minimal soles. Felt every stone beneath my feet. Walked the plantar fasciitis out within the first few weeks. Had had it for at least 12 months. It was so severe that if I needed to get up in the middle of the night I would crawl because walking was too painful. An xray after the walk showed large heel spurs that had grown because of the severity of the plantar fasciitis. It's never come back. This year I walked in new generation trail runners with much thicker soles. Far more comfortable to walk in. No blisters either time but would I have lost the plantar fasciitis if I had walked in thick soles for the first camino? Personally I think the wide toe box was the most important factor but the "massage" from the stoney paths also helped. Just my opinion based on my experience. No medical knowledge involved. :):):)

I'm brave. Here's my two bob's worth. I did the camino Frances a couple of years ago in early design trail runners with zero drop, extra wide toe box and minimal soles. Felt every stone beneath my feet. Walked the plantar fasciitis out within the first few weeks. Had had it for at least 12 months. It was so severe that if I needed to get up in the middle of the night I would crawl because walking was too painful. An xray after the walk showed large heel spurs that had grown because of the severity of the plantar fasciitis. It's never come back. This year I walked in new generation trail runners with much thicker soles. Far more comfortable to walk in. No blisters either time but would I have lost the plantar fasciitis if I had walked in thick soles for the first camino? Personally I think the wide toe box was the most important factor but the "massage" from the stoney paths also helped. Just my opinion based on my experience. No medical knowledge involved. :):):)
Wow. That's interesting.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.