• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Supermarkets at Christmas time

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
A practical questions for our forum friends who do or have lived in Spain...

What time do the supermarkets close on Christmas Eve? Will most likely be around Logrono, Najerra or Santo Domenigo de la Calzada

Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was in Spain one Christmas, admittedly on Majorca, and was amazed to see supermarkets and restaurants open on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day itself - it may be different in the north.

Were I you, I would presume that most all stores and shops will close about 14:00 (2:00 pm) on Christmas Eve - the time they would normally close for siesta. Assume they will be closed all day on Christmas.

For reference, presume this pattern for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day as well.

FYI, the Pilgrim Office is closed ONLY two days each year. These days are Christmas Day and New Years Day. Please plan accordingly.

IMHO, it is better to presume the most extreme case, as above, and not get caught without needed supplies. If I am wrong, nothing is lost.

I will defer to my friends living at Santiago, or elsewhere in Spain for input.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks lads, appreciate the responses. dougfitz, I had tried googling but didnt think of google maps and the specific times for Christmas Eve. Is Eroski on the Camino path or do I need to divert? I will look it up, but thought you might know off the top of your head.

To be sure, I will pack some dried pasta and some lightweight food just in case, but it would be nice to be able to cook up a nice meal for Christmas day (a rest day)

Thanks lads, appreciate the responses. dougfitz, I had tried googling but didnt think of google maps and the specific times for Christmas Eve. Is Eroski on the Camino path or do I need to divert? I will look it up, but thought you might know off the top of your head.

To be sure, I will pack some dried pasta and some lightweight food just in case, but it would be nice to be able to cook up a nice meal for Christmas day (a rest day)
As many have stated elsewhere have a look at the maps.me app for your smart phone or tablet. You only need to download the sections of the Spanish map that cover your Camino; you can work off line so won't need WiFi or to use up your allowance; you can search for banks, restaurants, food stores etc. in your vicinity.

Eroski_Najera[1].png

(Blue line = CF coming into Najera, yellow leaving)

There's Eroski, just before the Convent of St Elena but beware, it's not the most obvious of supermarkets!

1572601268352.png

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Jeff, that was really helpful and helpful to know it is not obvious!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello,
I live in A Coruña and here stores close around 8pm on the 24th and 31st of December and will reopen on the 26th, I imagine this is the case in the larger cities, smaller towns could close at 2. Most stores will have their holiday hours posted. Also note that many many restaurants are not open for cena (dinner) the 24th or 31st., or comida (lunch) on the 25th or 1st. This is something we learned the hard way 26 years ago after planing our anniversary dinner out, nothing was open.....now we always go out for lunch on new years eve. Also the 6th and 8th of December are holidays as well, stores may be closed but restaurants are usually open. This is life in A Coruña and things could certainly be different in other provinces, I hope this helps.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen

Hi!
I live in Galicia and my experience is pretty much the same as @Betterisgood's.

December 24th
Supermarkets and other shops: they will open after lunch but close earlier than usual, between 7.00 and 8.00pm. Any changes in regular hours will be displayed days in advance, so remember to check.
Restaurants: Christmas' Eve dinner is traditionally a family thing. Things are slowly changing, but you should be prepared to find all (or most) restaurants closed for dinner. Same applies to Christmas lunch.

December 25th - expect to find everything or almost everything closed.

December 31st / January 1st - similar situation to December 24th. The only difference is that it is more common for people to dine out on this day so you have a better chance of finding open restaurants. On the other hand, many restaurants/hotels offer special New year's Eve packages, so you might not find a place if you don't have a reservation. Then, people go partying all night, so you'll find open cafés early morning on January 1st, full of people having chocolate con churros before going to bed. After that, it's mostly a dead day, with shops closed.

January 6th - this is another national holiday, so shops will be closed. Restaurants are probably open.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back