• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Superstition in France?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
While walking on the Via Podiensis (Le Puy camino) during the month of June my friends and I passed many of these dried wreaths on doorways in certain villages and towns along the way. We asked a local resident what they were, and the answer was in broken English, so couldn't fully get the gist of the reply. I concluded they were some kind of superstition or tradition to ward off evil spirits from their homes.
Can anyone provide better information about these? I tried a google search, but found nothing about them.
Screenshot_20201022-090046~2.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s called a ‘cardabelle’ and is a good luck charm or protection against evil spirits. It’s from the thistle family and is also claimed to be a weather forecaster in that it curls up before bad weather. Possibly due to the change in humidity?
Cardoon flower and top of stem?

I would call that "a tradition"
That's a good point. Many of our traditions of today have origins in beliefs and/or superstitions of the past, some of which we don't even know about today when we blindly follow the traditions. For example, I have just learned a lot by googling "meaning of wreath on door".

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It’s called a ‘cardabelle’ and is a good luck charm or protection against evil spirits. It’s from the thistle family and is also claimed to be a weather forecaster in that it curls up before bad weather. Possibly due to the change in humidity?
definitely superstition.

While walking on the Via Podiensis (Le Puy camino) during the month of June my friends and I passed many of these dried wreaths on doorways in certain villages and towns along the way. We asked a local resident what they were, and the answer was in broken English, so couldn't fully get the gist of the reply. I concluded they were some kind of superstition or tradition to ward off evil spirits from their homes.
Can anyone provide better information about these? I tried a google search, but found nothing about them.
View attachment 86159
Good noticing! I loved walking the Via Podiensis and want to return - you know when we can and all that.xo

Back