• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Supplex Nylon or Macabi skirt available locally?

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I'm in love with my Macabi skirt, purchased from another forum member, but having been used daily by me on the Camino del Norte and the Camino Francés it is getting a bit worn. I really want another one but buying direct from the maker is prohibitively expensive - they want $60 freight.

So I've been trying to find Supplex Nylon fabric locally, to make one myself. Searched online, searched various fabric shops - no luck anywhere. I can find Supplex Nylon mixed with Lycra, but that is not what I want. Or buy the Supplex Nylon from the US - but the same problem, for an individual purchase the freight charges are not worth it.

Kathmandu and other makers sometimes have skirts out of Supplex Nylon, but nothing with the generous pockets of my Macabi.

Can anyone help?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm in love with my Macabi skirt, purchased from another forum member, but having been used daily by me on the Camino del Norte and the Camino Francés it is getting a bit worn. I really want another one but buying direct from the maker is prohibitively expensive - they want $60 freight.

So I've been trying to find Supplex Nylon fabric locally, to make one myself. Searched online, searched various fabric shops - no luck anywhere. I can find Supplex Nylon mixed with Lycra, but that is not what I want. Or buy the Supplex Nylon from the US - but the same problem, for an individual purchase the freight charges are not worth it.

Kathmandu and other makers sometimes have skirts out of Supplex Nylon, but nothing with the generous pockets of my Macabi.

Can anyone help?
How come they won't mail a skirt via "flat Rate"? I used to mail things to my daughter in Mongolia for heavens sake! The most it ever cost was $30 and that was for quite a heavy package. Where did you find the right fabric here is the U.S ? I could find it and mail it to you. I would like to make a skirt with good pockets for my May Camino Frances. The Macabi skirts are a little too much skirt for me. I would like a pared down, not quite as long version.

Hi Joodle,

I know, the freight charge is ridiculous. I've sent them an email but got no joy in response. I was going to order the Macabi in the new slimmer style, in short length - I keep going onto the website and filling my cart, then emptying it when the final cost comes up! I was at a local meeting last night and asked if anyone else wanted one because we could then share the freight costs, but unfortunately no-one was interested.

Yes, if I was making it would be a pared down version, but keeping the pockets exactly the same. I would probably make it shorter and not bother about the studs for turning into shorts etc.

Can't remember exactly where I found the Supplex Nylon - googled it and got the manufacturer I think. There is also Taslan (?) fabric but it seems thinner and more crushable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Joodle,

I know, the freight charge is ridiculous. I've sent them an email but got no joy in response. I was going to order the Macabi in the new slimmer style, in short length - I keep going onto the website and filling my cart, then emptying it when the final cost comes up! I was at a local meeting last night and asked if anyone else wanted one because we could then share the freight costs, but unfortunately no-one was interested.

Yes, if I was making it would be a pared down version, but keeping the pockets exactly the same. I would probably make it shorter and not bother about the studs for turning into shorts etc.

Can't remember exactly where I found the Supplex Nylon - googled it and got the manufacturer I think. There is also Taslan (?) fabric but it seems thinner and more crushable.
I'll do some investigation and see what I can find out. I have a friend who is an expert seamstress and will know where to find any kind of fabric. I'll let you know.

They make additional money on the shipping cost is my guess. "Shipping & whatever handling means". Find a friend in the US to whom it will be shipped for peanuts and have said friend mail it to you "surface". Wish I could be such friend but alas I also live outside of the wall about to be built.

Or... We can boycott them, it's not as if this forum is not a great advert and revenue source :mad:.

They are made in salt Lake City, UT, right where my son lives. I'm going to have my Daughter in Law check it out. I might have her mail me one.:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, thanks @SusieQ2 that is where I found the Supplex Nylon. And on eBay. But alas, freight charges are prohibitive from the US to Australia - I don't know why they are so much. They are more reasonable from the UK, so if I could get it there I would.

Found a couple possible Austrailia resources for fabrics for you but they are really expensive per yard! zebrafabrics.net.au and http://www.stretchtex.com.au/products-sportswear.html but they might be more swimwear type fabric. I have a skirt pattern that is close to a Macabi. It is I believe a discontinued pattern - Butterick 3133, view C. Click image to make it bigger.
3133.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What a coincidence - I was only searching for taslan fabric a few minutes ago to make a hiking skirt. Am off now for a hike in the mountains but will check in again later. Brilliant!!

Thanks @GreatDane but they are the Australian sites with the stretch fabrics. It is not the same as straight Supplex, which is not a stretch fabric, feels soft, is water resistant and breathable.

Be mindfull that supplex comes in all sorts of textures. I was very surprised when I learned my "bicycle shorts" I wear under skirts to avoid chaffing are supplex as the material iv very different from the one used in the Macabi.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They are made in salt Lake City, UT, right where my son lives. I'm going to have my Daughter in Law check it out. I might have her mail me one.:)
In my brand new Macabi Skirt has a label: made in Sri Lanka. I paid that 60 dollar shipping cost, with pain. But it was very quick, I ordered it Thursday and the skirt came following Tuesday from Utah to Finland.

Can anyone help?

Kanga, there is a lady in Australia who was selling a Macabi on my Used Camino Gear Facebook page. I think she still has it. You might check there?

Look

Can anyone help?
Looks like it is a small short skirt. There's another person from Australia selling some icebreaker stuff.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks @GreatDane but they are the Australian sites with the stretch fabrics. It is not the same as straight Supplex, which is not a stretch fabric, feels soft, is water resistant and breathable.
Knew that difference but thought maybe giving either a call would yield some clues to other resources.

I just discovered this when i went on their web page
Found a couple possible Austrailia resources for fabrics for you but they are really expensive per yard! zebrafabrics.net.au and http://www.stretchtex.com.au/products-sportswear.html but they might be more swimwear type fabric. I have a skirt pattern that is close to a Macabi if anyone is interested in the number. I'll post that info tomorrow.
I'd love to get the pattern number for the skirt. Thank you

I'd love to get the pattern number for the skirt. Thank you
It is I believe a discontinued pattern - Butterick 3133, view C. View C takes 2 5/8 yards of 45" fabric or 2 1/8 yards of 60". View C does not have pockets but easy enough to add them using the pieces from Views D and E. If you need anyone to take pocket measurements off a Macabi just say!! p.s. I see you're from the west side of WA, I am in the Tri-Cities. Lucky you have Seattle Fabrics on Aurora Ave North. My son lives a few blocks from it!!!
3133.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Can anyone help?

Found a couple possible Austrailia resources for fabrics for you but they are really expensive per yard! zebrafabrics.net.au and http://www.stretchtex.com.au/products-sportswear.html but they might be more swimwear type fabric. I have a skirt pattern that is close to a Macabi. It is I believe a discontinued pattern - Butterick 3133, view C. Click image to make it bigger.
View attachment 24324[/QUOTE
This is interesting! If you make the skirt will you post photos please. I am also contemplating making one.

Would love to see photos of finished skirts! Sounds like a project for me. I am a 'skirt' hiker myself. Completed Portuguese last summer and planning number two for this September! Life is good!

It is I believe a discontinued pattern - Butterick 3133, view C. View C takes 2 5/8 yards of 45" fabric or 2 1/8 yards of 60". View C does not have pockets but easy enough to add them using the pieces from Views D and E. If you need anyone to take pocket measurements off a Macabi just say!! p.s. I see you're from the west side of WA, I am in the Tri-Cities. Lucky you have Seattle Fabrics on Aurora Ave North. My son lives a few blocks from it!!!
View attachment 24325
I'm actually in Olympia, but no one knows where that is, so I say Seattle, it's know world wide. :D thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in love with my Macabi skirt...I really want another one but buying direct from the maker is prohibitively expensive - they want $60 freight. Can anyone help?
I just went to the US Post Office site and the difference between Priority International One Rate that Macabi uses ($63) and regular First Class International ($13-ish) is pretty darn great. I'm sure they use Priority International One Rate because it doesn't have to be individually figured for cost, arrives swiftly and comes with a bit of insurance. Have you tried talking to Macabi about them using regular First Class International for your case?

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I ordered a second macabi skirt and they sent the wrong colour. When I e mailed to let them know I did not even get a reply. I sold the skirt at a loss. It was brand new.
I am kind of interested in the new slimmer cut but it seems such a risk not able to try it on and the freight puts me off too..

So, I have just ordered some Supplex fabric and will be attempting to make a 'Purplerain' type hiking skirt. This fabric is...

lightweight, water and wind resistant fabric. Supplex is a cotton soft fabric with all the advantages of a modern technical fibre. It is shower proof yet still breathable and is colourfast. The material holds its shape well and is quiet to wear. If you do get caught in storm the fabric is quick drying.

Uses: Outdoor outer garments including jackets and trousers, general purpose

Approximate weight: 125gsm (grammes per square metre)...

I purchased from Profabrics.co.uk in the UK. £4.00 per metre, 152 cm wide. Very inexpensive, although VAT at 20% must be added to both the cost of the fabric and the shipping charge. They post worldwide. Shipping to Spain would have cost £10.55 which is more than I wanted to pay so am having it delivered to the UK.

The guys at Profabrics are really helpful. This is the third lot of fabric I have purchased from them as I have made a rain skirt, will be making a pack cover, and now the hiking skirt.

Here is a link to the item I purchased.

I will post a photo of the finished item.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just looked at the Macabi site. You sparked my interest. I can see why you like those pockets. I have been looking at hiking pants and have some possibilities saved in my wish list but now I think I should just make some that will suit my needs.

Can anyone help?
Check with Australian post ,we have the same problem in New Zealand with postal charges from the States and NZ Post have set up a postal address in USA to send to then it is sent here ,hope that helps

What an absolute star you are, Magwood! Thanks for posting the link :cool:
And thanks to the OP Kanga for starting this thread ....

About the freight postage for the Macabi skirts, when I ordered my first ones I am quite sure I didn't pay that exorbitant postage. I know I wouldn't have because that is what's stopped me when about to order the slimline version. I just couldn't believe it.
I think they've lost a lot of sales that way!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So, I have just ordered some Supplex fabric and will be attempting to make a 'Purplerain' type hiking skirt...I will post a photo of the finished item.
Funny thing! I took the pattern off a Walmart jersey skirt I have and made a trial "Purple Rain Style skirt" last week. Sale bin fabric cost me <$2.50US. Will only wear that one around the house. Now I know I want it about 3" longer and tighter in the waist. Sewing a new one this weekend with $6 worth of fabric (hooray for 50% off coupon sales!!) Might try pockets.
EDITED TO ADD: I just want to clarify that the "Purplerain' type hiking skirt" is generically called a yoga waist skirt. You can make them with or without the use of a pattern, in all stretch material or just the waistband in stretch fabric. Their common denominator is the yoga style waist band. (just search yoga waist skirt on Pinterest or Etsy)

Last edited:
Funny thing! I took the pattern off a Walmart jersey skirt I have and made a trial "Purple Rain Style skirt" last week. Sale bin fabric cost me <$2.50US. Will only wear that one around the house. Now I know I want it about 3" longer and tighter in the waist. Sewing a new one this weekend with $6 worth of fabric (hooray for 50% off coupon sales!!) Might try pockets.
That's what I do. I mix and match pattern pieces. I haven't sewn in quite awhile. I used to make prom dresses for my girls. Lets see if I still have it.

Can anyone help?
Kanga, I'm still trying to sell mine. It is a small size and short. Happy with $50. I am in Darwin. No idea on postage, but could find out. We met last year in Rabanal, at Gaucelmo!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi @Ellen Gotts , I'd love to buy yours but sadly there is no way I could get into a small. I've had a kind offer from someone in the States to buy one and post it to me using normal international post and I'm also investigating buying the fabric from the UK and getting it shipped - I think the postal rates are much more reasonable from there.

A word of warning if using supplex to make a garment!

I have ordered some to make a skirt, but whilst waiting for it to arrive I thought I would pick up a project I started some time ago and for whatever reason left it to one side. I had cut up a pair of slightly undersized hiking pants to convert to a skirt. I spent quite some time this morning making a pretty neat job of inserting a piece of fabric to join to two front leg pieces together. The seams needed pressing. I wouldn't dream of pressing hiking pants, but am quite meticulous when sewing. I just touched the fabric with an iron and it burned a hole right through. I looked at the label and it stated the fabric was nylon, which is what supplex is, although it has the feel of a very fine cotton.

So be warned - follow instructions given - and if none are given, test on a scrap of fabric first.

I've had a kind offer from a forum member in the US to post the skirt to me. And I've used Magwood's link to investigate getting some fabric! Thanks to everyone.

Kanga, I'm still trying to sell mine. It is a small size and short. Happy with $50. I am in Darwin. No idea on postage, but could find out. We met last year in Rabanal, at Gaucelmo!!
Hi Ellen. I too have been trying to find the perfect skirt. Love the PurpleRain type & attempted to make something similar but could not get the right fabric. Is your skirt still for sale? I live in Darwin.

Finished my yoga waist skirt on Sunday, wore it Monday to work (I dress for work like I could leave for Burgos in a heartbeat). Still didn't make the waist bad small enough (though I have a thick waist, I guess it's not that thick??). Lessons learned - I should have interfaced the pockets, the jersey fabric is just too stretchy for patch pockets I think. And no decorative stitching because my silly sewing machine would do the cute embroidery stitch beautifully on scrap fabric and the minute I tried it on the pocket flap it messed up - another reason I decided no pockets on this one!!
FullSizeRender(1).jpg

ahhhh, finally found the other hiking skirts I'd run into a couple of years ago and forgot to bookmark! Melanzana is a fleece mini skirt style. http://melanzana.com/catalog/produc...id/35?osCsid=d81fee581c7d1557492c6be09fb3d389 and Joan over at http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/2012/03/diy-hiking-skirt.html has made a couple different generations of hiking skirts. She shares her plans on her blog. I'd also read about a woman that takes men's wild board shorts, cuts out the liner and sews the shorts into a skirt. No plans shown but it must be like when you make a jeans skirt!! Hello Goodwill?? (yes there are tons of commercial hiking skirts - I think I must own half of them but these two I thought were great!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@GreatDane, what a fabulous link to ramblinghemlock's blog. I have just spent an age poking around there and will surely be returning regularly. I have signed up to to follow the blog. Many thanks.

I've had a kind offer from a forum member in the US to post the skirt to me. And I've used Magwood's link to investigate getting some fabric! Thanks to everyone.

Hi Kanga, I ordered some samples from Rockywood Fabrics. Taking forever to get here, over a month now. It did say on their site to allow 2 - 5 weeks for delivery. Only US$7:05 for postage for the samples.
We have a couple of friends in the US that I could have post a skirt to me too. Going to check out the Profabrics site as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's much more reasonable postage but it seems a bit slow - my last package from the US sat in a freight forwarding centre for over a month. When it hadn't arrived after the due date I emailed the company from whom I had bought the goods and they chased it up. They were annoyed too. No explanation as to why it sat there for so long.

I fell in love with the fabric and the pockets of the Macabi - and the idea of walking in a skirt - but sadly not with the sheer amount of it. I bought another, shorter skirt which I love and have walked in since. I have to thank @Magwood and @GreatDane and the rest of you for links, info and inspiration, I have already bought some lovely blue Supplex, fished out a patterned pair of tights that are too tight and will become side panels, and am mulling over my choice of ripstop materials ... I have no time to do any of it but am looking forward to summer when I will play around with some patterns and ideas and enjoy making my own!

I fell in love with the fabric and the pockets of the Macabi - and the idea of walking in a skirt - but sadly not with the sheer amount of it.
I've worn my hiking pants exactly once since I got into Macabi skirts. I don't think there's that much more fabric! I don't do the type of hiking I used to with things like skree scambling, or having to climb over logs. Under those conditions yes, for me at least, hiking pants would be a better choice.

And if anyone is interested in sewing their own sand gaiters (the short Lycra gaiters used to keep sand, burrs, etc out of your boots) here is a link. http://www.ar.co.za/2010/01/make-your-own-mini-gaiters/

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Can anyone help?
Perhaps buy a local skirt and add pockets?

I fell in love with the fabric and the pockets of the Macabi - and the idea of walking in a skirt - but sadly not with the sheer amount of it. I bought another, shorter skirt which I love and have walked in since. I have to thank @Magwood and @GreatDane and the rest of you for links, info and inspiration, I have already bought some lovely blue Supplex, fished out a patterned pair of tights that are too tight and will become side panels, and am mulling over my choice of ripstop materials ... I have no time to do any of it but am looking forward to summer when I will play around with some patterns and ideas and enjoy making my own!
Sounds nidarosa like you might be onto something! Perhaps you should invent the all-round Aussie skirt! I'm sure they would go down a treat in this country.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back