• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Supposed to be starting el camino tomorrow....

Skylar Townsend

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (coastal) 2017
Camino del norte (2019)
So with just my luck I somehow injured my foot right before I left for Spain. I currently am in Barcelona and waiting to start until Tuesday now to give my foot some more rest. The swelling has gone down already by resting it for two days, and I have been able to be mobile, with a tad pain *nothing major*. Do you guys think that I should still start on Tuesday? I plan to start from Irun, is the camino extremely difficult in the beginning? I don't really have a time frame, I just am very ready to start this, but I'm also trying to be smart and not further injure myself.
Obviously I know nobody can be my doctor over the computer, I just am looking for some friendly advice/possible past experiences

Thank you and
Buen Camino To All

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Skylar! If you really don't have a time frame then I would wait until your foot is healed. Pharmacists in Spain are very well educated and may offer a professional opinion, I think that is where I would check first. You are about to really use your feet for more hours and with more weight than normal, I would not want to start knowing your foot is not functioning as well as normal.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are worse places to be "stuck"! I have to agree with Anemone and Mike. Take a few more days, at least. It is easier to heal and then walk, than to worsen an injury--however slight--and suffer with it for the length of a Camino.

I just completed the first day from Irun to San Sebastian - in torrential rain which can happen at any time on the coast. Hard enough with healthy feet, especially with mud and wet rocks. Like the others said, wait. Not only will your foot feel better but maybe the weather will improve.

Well guys, I think you're right. I forgot my hiking shoes back in the states (I'm having all the luck ) and can't get them shipped out here because of certain restrictions.
All signs are pointing to keep it easy now. I'm trying not to lose faith and realize this is another challenge for El camino.
On the plus side, I explored Barcelona today, about 5 miles walking, and my foot felt pretty good. Should be good by next week, I hope.
Thanks for all of the advice, you have helped lift my spirits greatly.
Buen camino! Hope to see you soon!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just completed the first day from Irun to San Sebastian - in torrential rain which can happen at any time on the coast. Hard enough with healthy feet, especially with mud and wet rocks. Like the others said, wait. Not only will your foot feel better but maybe the weather will improve.

I definitely have been keeping an eye on the weather, happy you made it safe to San Sebastian!

On the plus side, I explored Barcelona today, about 5 miles walking, and my foot felt pretty good. Should be good by next week,

Well, that sounds quite positive. Maybe the well proven trick of RICE (rest, ice, compression elevation) will set things right for you Skylar.

Perhaps, after your daily explorations for 2-3 hours?

Buen (rapid-healing) Camino

You could try splitting the Irun to San Sebastian stage into two, by stopping at Pasaje de San Juan (it's beautiful, btw). The descent into San Sebastian, I feel, would be best done without being tired and having a less than perfect foot...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could try splitting the Irun to San Sebastian stage into two, by stopping at Pasaje de San Juan (it's beautiful, btw). The descent into San Sebastian, I feel, would be best done without being tired and having a less than perfect foot...
That does sound like a good idea. I realized walking downhill is still quite painful so I'm thinking I still may need more time to rest.
I'm really trying to stay positive and not give up on this dream. I'm so thankful for you all and the wonderful people I'm meeting. Helping me stay positive when I'm losing a bit of faith. But everything happens for a reason, right?

It most certainly does....
Barcelona is a great place to be hanging out in - if you haven't been already, take a look at Tibidabo Hill - legend has it that it is there that Satan offered Christ the world, if He would bow down before him (thankfully he refused) - nowadays there's a great view, and a theme park, with rides from fin de siecle to modern, a worthy place to while the day away....
You could also read The Shadow Of The Wind, set in BCN (if you don't mind the extra weight in your pack), after Don Qixote, its the most translated Spanish novel, and is excellent.
Oh and you really ought to get that foot looked at - if only for peace of mind !

It most certainly does....
Barcelona is a great place to be hanging out in - if you haven't been already, take a look at Tibidabo Hill - legend has it that it is there that Satan offered Christ the world, if He would bow down before him (thankfully he refused) - nowadays there's a great view, and a theme park, with rides from fin de siecle to modern, a worthy place to while the day away....
You could also read The Shadow Of The Wind, set in BCN (if you don't mind the extra weight in your pack), after Don Qixote, its the most translated Spanish novel, and is excellent.
Oh and you really ought to get that foot looked at - if only for peace of mind !

The bruising is finally gone, I'm sure it's fine, if it's not better in a few more days I might have to get it checked out. I went to Tibidabo the other day, such beautiful views! The bus didn't go all the way to the top so I didn't get to the amusement park. I'll definitely check that book out, it'll be nice to have something to do while resting my foot, thank you for the great suggestions!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I'm in Irun right now (Sunday eve, 21 May) . Anything you would have done differently in your first day out?

The only thing I would have liked to do differently was take a few pictures but I didn't feel like stopping to dig my phone/camera out. So I guess my one suggestion would be keep your camera handy.

Hi Skylar,

What did you finally decide? Did you start from Irun or further along the Camino?

Kathy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Skylar,

What did you finally decide? Did you start from Irun or further along the Camino?

Kathy

I decided to give myself more time to heal, which turned out to be a great decision, as my foot is still in the healing process. Did a lot of traveling in the south, I will be heading to Porto on Thursday to start the Camino portugues. Never thought I'd say that! It seems as if that's the smartest route to take, walking too much downhill is still a tad uncomfortable.
The amazing thing is that throughout this unexpected journey, I keep seeing yellow arrows and meeting new friends who have completed the camino recently. It has never left me, which has helped me to keep going and never lose faith.

Hope all is going well with everyone's journeys!

Buen camino
Bom caminho

That is wonderful Skylar, I believe that you made the right decision. I hope you have a wonderful camino and enjoy Portugal and Spain.

Bom Caminho!

Looks like I actually am starting the camino tomorrow! I can´t lie, I am feeling very nervous and so unprepared along the lines of accommodation and knowing the route. Del norte I had researched for almost a year, it has been hard to do that for the Portugues way, as I only have internet in the hostels I stay at, and let´s be honest, no way I can sit on a computer/my phone when I am visiting such beautiful places.
I have the main points marked on my map, and I guess the rest will be discovered along the way. Things up to this point have worked out unbelievably well, I just have to have faith that things will continue going that way.
I guess time will tell what will happen. I will keep you all posted as to how everything goes.

Bom caminho

In a few days it'll be 2 months since I completed the camino Portugues!
Boy, time really does fly.

I learned so much along the way, and even made a little camino family. Actually went to Germany to stay with them towards the end of my travels.
Didn't have proper shoes and met someone the first day who had extra shoes and offered them to me, perfect fit.
Got lost MANY MANY times, but since I followed the coast, I just continued walking with the coast on my left and always found my way.
I never believed anyone about the cobblestone being so awful.....boy was I wrong.
Everybody on the Camino really does have a story, and I really enjoyed learning those stories. It's amazing the bonds that you come to have with people who you only spend a short time with.

There were so many experiences that I had, both good and some not so good, but even the not so good moments turned out to be exactly what needed to happen, and always ended positively.
This felt like the way I was supposed to do this time, but it didn't feel completely right for some reason, so I didn't go all the way to Fisterra. I'm saving that for once I actually complete the camino del norte.

I miss the camino, I miss Spain. I miss all of the wonderful people that I encountered. I'm SO happy my injury didn't keep me from completing the camino. It was different than I expected, but I wouldn't change one thing about it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is great. Congratulations Skylar!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.