• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sureste 22 April 17

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
Plans are now coming together and I expect to fly to Alicante on 17 Apr. I am booked to brush up on my Spanish (hope to be able to do more than just the essentials - wine, food, bed! - after the course) from 18 to 21 and start the walk on 22. First planned stop in Montforte del Cid which should be a comfortable first days walk of between 25 and 29km depending which source you believe!

Owing to the lack of a single up to date guide I will be using a GPS track when necessary and also plan to collect the latest guide from the Asociación amigos del camino de Santiago de Alicante when I am in Alicante. I have also gathered together a lot of general info in a spreadsheet that you should be able to see here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ve9sh6ajmp2oz6v/AACSHaGef1ri7ZV1Vai0QoRCa?dl=0

I plan to update this thread during the walk as often as possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That sounds wonderful Mike.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Plans are now coming together and I expect to fly to Alicante on 17 Apr.
Greetings, young Mike!
I tried that camino a couple of years ago, and had to abandon it, due to severe blistering of the feet, plus forecast of a foot of snow in the hills! But that was in February, and April should be much better. I was in Alicante only a week ago, and found this sign .... if you follow it, I think you'll end up in heaven :).
Buen camino, amigo!
P1060491.JPG

Thanks for the good wishes. I always start with a little trepidation especially when I walk by myself. That said I do like the solitary hikes which is one of the reasons I chose this route. Did the VdlP last year that turned out to be a bit busier than expected.

@MikeJS :I just bought this one:

http://www.csj.org.uk/product/pilgrim-guide-camino-del-sureste/

2017 edition, for £ 7.00. Arrived in my mailbox in Norway after 5 days... Very light and handy. I combined it with a few Google Earth searces to get a grasp. Nice.

The Assoc. in Alicante also has a 5 Euro albergue offer, on the Camino on way out of Alicante. Check out:

http://www.encaminodesdealicante.org/ (Only in Spanish: Rightclick to translate if you use Chrome).

Location of the Assoc. in Alicante:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...67be9360fac!8m2!3d38.343776!4d-0.493274?hl=es

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alex - Thanks for that.

I tried a CSJ guide before for a previous Camino and did not like it at all. Far, far too wordy and very few maps. Does their Sureste guide have a good maps?

I’m content with gps track and my friend google maps! I’m staying in a shared flat in Alicante before my camino as part of the spanish course and I have contacted the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante and plan to visit them before I leave as they say they have a ’new’ guide.

No maps in that guide, @MikeJS But it looked very helpful and informative, not least with phone numbers to all places. I studied the Sureste on Google Earth, and it looks easy, with few places you should miss. I suppose you will attend an Enforex spanish course? I was there one month in April 2016 for learning basic Spanish: Very helpful! Feel much more confident in going alone on rural grounds. Stayed in a local's apartment in Alicante centre.

PS: Maybe there is some stuff on WikiLoc?

Albergues etc. on Sureste:

http://www.encaminodesdealicante.or...ues/albergues-del-camino-del-sureste-2014.pdf

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Plans are now coming together and I expect to fly to Alicante on 17 Apr. I am booked to brush up on my Spanish (hope to be able to do more than just the essentials - wine, food, bed! - after the course) from 18 to 21 and start the walk on 22. First planned stop in Montforte del Cid which should be a comfortable first days walk of between 25 and 29km depending which source you believe!

Owing to the lack of a single up to date guide I will be using a GPS track when necessary and also plan to collect the latest guide from the Asociación amigos del camino de Santiago de Alicante when I am in Alicante. I have also gathered together a lot of general info in a spreadsheet that you should be able to see here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ve9sh6ajmp2oz6v/AACSHaGef1ri7ZV1Vai0QoRCa?dl=0

I plan to update this thread during the walk as often as possible.

Oh, it should be wonderful in April. Please tell us all about it! I'd like to know what you think about their guidebook as well, as you go along!

/BP

Now in Alicante having had a very smooth and trouble free trip out. Found my accommodation easily and the start of the Camino! Here for 4 days to brush up my Spanish. Disconcerting that the simple trip here will now take more than 5 weeks to travel back home!

Now in Alicante having had a very smooth and trouble free trip out. Found my accommodation easily and the start of the Camino! Here for 4 days to brush up my Spanish. Disconcerting that the simple trip here will now take more than 5 weeks to travel back home!

Wow, I will be your most devouted follower! I am so jealous! And you will have time to scope your way out of the city so you won't get terribly lost, like I did... I know you aim to get further the first stage but, once again, the Casa del peregrino in Orito is good standard, just saying... I will follow in your footsteps but... Two months to go... Take care!/BP

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Alex - Thanks for that.

I tried a CSJ guide before for a previous Camino and did not like it at all. Far, far too wordy and very few maps. Does their Sureste guide have a good maps?

I’m content with gps track and my friend google maps! I’m staying in a shared flat in Alicante before my camino as part of the spanish course and I have contacted the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante and plan to visit them before I leave as they say they have a ’new’ guide.

Forgot to say that I liked the guide very much. My version was from 2010 but there was no problem. Maps are very basic though. As for the accommodation along the way there is a list as of 2014 in the ressources section on this forum. Now if they have printed a new guide since 2015, even better. Mine was in Spanish though. I would like to hear if there is a new version and what you think of it!

BP I checked the way out yesterday as I had nothing else to do! Saw a few Camino signs and the way was fairly straight. I hope to pick up a guide when they open on Thursday evening! I think it is still only in Spanish- good job I'm doing this course. As for accommodation, I have a pretty god list ( I think ) on my spreadsheet that is linked at the start of this thread. Also air B&B helps!

Went to find the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante so I knew where they were when they opened on Thursday to find them open! Typical! However, at least I could get the guide (5euro) which looks very comprehensive with good maps. Just need to massively improve my Spanish to read it all! After 4.5 hrs of lessons today I think my head will explode!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Went to find the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante so I knew where they were when they opened on Thursday to find them open! Typical! However, at least I could get the guide (5euro) which looks very comprehensive with good maps. Just need to massively improve my Spanish to read it all! After 4.5 hrs of lessons today I think my head will explode!

Good. The maps are super basic in my version but they give you a sense of direction. But the "rutómetro" is very detailed, meter by meter. There are a lot of info about the historic route and what to see in each town, stories connected to the Camino and so on... It will be a great opportunity to practice your Spanish!

I leave Alicante in the morning to start my walk. It's been an interesting city and I'm sure there is a beach somewhere! Despite being a tourist town I can still eat out well (and drink) for less than 25 euros a day which I don't think I could do in uk! Given the reduced value of the £ it seems strange to me that it is still inexpensive here. Also, it's much safer crossing the roads here than at home as at least cars here stop at the pedestrian crossings. In fact cars stop to give way on most roads. Also the wide streets paved with tiles and stone look a lot smarter than Brighton's chewing gum strewn concrete. There is very little litter and everyone seems to be washing the pavement in the morning. In addition, most nights there is someone dancing in the street, last night was tango. The Spanish lessons have been hard work and after 4 to 5 hours a day my brain is numb. I just hope some of it sinks in. However, I will be pleased to leave as I tend to find any city a bit soul destroying. Now let's see what tomorrow brings.

Alicante to Monforte del Cid. About 28 km. Started at 0720 and arrived at 1220. A bit early for my air B&B room but the owner was fine with be arriving early. Quite east to find my way out of the city and after the cemetery there were plenty of yellow arrows to show the way. In fact the amigos de Alicante's guide seems to be very good and well worth the 5 euros. Probably about 60% tarmac and pavement but the rest was nice rugged tracks. After only an hour I had left most of the city behind, and saw pigs wandering around and an hour later I was out in the country. As I neared Orito there was a sign showing an alternate route to MdC which saved about 2 km so I took that route as it was my planned destination. Air B&B seems a useful tool for Camino's like this that have less albergues di peregrinos (AdP) to choose from. In fact I'm using it for tomorrow's stop in Sax but hope to stay in the AdP in Caudete the following day. Saw no one else on the track today.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alicante to Monforte del Cid. About 28 km. Started at 0720 and arrived at 1220. A bit early for my air B&B room but the owner was fine with be arriving early. Quite east to find my way out of the city and after the cemetery there were plenty of yellow arrows to show the way. In fact the amigos de Alicante's guide seems to be very good and well worth the 5 euros. Probably about 60% tarmac and pavement but the rest was nice rugged tracks. After only an hour I had left most of the city behind, and saw pigs wandering around and an hour later I was out in the country. As I neared Orito there was a sign showing an alternate route to MdC which saved about 2 km so I took that route as it was my planned destination. Air B&B seems a useful tool for Camino's like this that have less albergues di peregrinos (AdP) to choose from. In fact I'm using it for tomorrow's stop in Sax but hope to stay in the AdP in Caudete the following day. Saw no one else on the track today.

Wow now you are on your way, fantastic. Yes what I like is that the city stops short and throws you out in the countryside rather quickly. It must be much greener now in Spring than in Summer. Any photos? - The shortcut to Monforte: do you mean you didn't pass the Cueva de San Pascual, the sanctuary just before Orito? Or does the short-cut appear after the Cueva? It's quite a hike to get there, and if there is an alternative route to skip the hilly part it's good news for those who like to choose. But it would break my heart if pilgrims started to miss out on the sanctuary up there. Nothing big or fancy, but it's beautiful! - The hotel Fuente del Cura in Sax is very good standard, almost luxury style according to my standards, and offers reduced prices to peregrinos. Keep on moving! :OD

/BP

Never managed to get photos onto this web site. But I post on Facebook as well with photos. Lots of wild flowers out but looking a bit like a dry summer at home. Went to San Pascual and the diversion is after that at the bottom of the hill. Saved about 3 kms. Tried to contact the hotel in Sax but as they were a bit tardy in responding I booked a room with AirB&B again. Hotel did respond tonight and the price would have been 22 euros. So well worth using. Just need to confirm a bit earlier I guess.

MdC to Sax 25kms
Left at 0730 on what was a cool but sunny day. In fact didn't take my fleece off until 1000! Easy to follow track that was well marked until I got to Petrer. It is often difficult to follow the Camino signs through cities and this was true here. Got most of the way through then lost the signs. Not helped by the fiesta in progress! No problem as I have a gps track and my mate google. Ultimately found my way through but added about 5 kind to the route, so did 30 kms instead of 25. Track after Petrer was well marked and the last few kms into Sax were a pleasant stroll along a river. Got to Sax at 1300 and stopped for food ( and a large beer). Room not available until 1500 ( which I knew) so just relaxing and sorting things out for my walk to Caudete tomorrow.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
MdC to Sax 25kms
Left at 0730 on what was a cool but sunny day. In fact didn't take my fleece off until 1000! Easy to follow track that was well marked until I got to Petrer. It is often difficult to follow the Camino signs through cities and this was true here. Got most of the way through then lost the signs. Not helped by the fiesta in progress! No problem as I have a gps track and my mate google. Ultimately found my way through but added about 5 kind to the route, so did 30 kms instead of 25. Track after Petrer was well marked and the last few kms into Sax were a pleasant stroll along a river. Got to Sax at 1300 and stopped for food ( and a large beer). Room not available until 1500 ( which I knew) so just relaxing and sorting things out for my walk to Caudete tomorrow.

Okay, did you get lost in Petrer when walking on the left side of the river/canal? In the town I mean, walking through a park with playgrounds and stuff? I think it was a canal, but it was dry when I was there. I forgot to turn right over a bridge and had to go back. If you have the same guide as I did, it says that you can continue straight on by the left of the river but that adds 2 kms and passes some kind of Ermita. Okay that was confusing, sorry... Glad to hear that you are in Sax. Have you visited the castle?

/BP

No, I was at the high end of Petrer so no river but as I lost the arrows I headed down toward the river and crossed over. Therefore ended up picking up the route that goes via Elda! If I had managed to follow my intended route I would have avoid some hills. My mistake as given how well the route is marked so far I must have just missed the signs. But you know how frustrating it is when cities choose to try something posher than a painted arrow! I remember on one Camino where a city used engraved scallop shells placed on the pavement- try seeing those on a busy street. As to the castle in Sax, I can see it from my room but it looks a little high up at the moment! May go for a stroll later....

Caudete tomorrow, if you're going that way, has an excellent albergue, with the only disadvantage that's it's on top of the hill. I ate in Los Naranjos in central town, a simple but outstanding restaurant, with a menu with not much choice, but all of it tempting - and it certainly tempted the locals, as it was packed by 8.30pm and I was lucky to get a place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Phoned the albergue in Caudete this afternoon so should be ok for a bed. Up a hill - lovely! I will look for los naranjos.
Camino notes

Had a few hours to spare after I had checked into my room - Casa Saxrural airb&b again and it was excellent- so thought I would go for a walk! Sat above Sax is a very old Saxon castle so I of course decided to would walk up to it! Being a Sunday it was closed but at least I wasn't surprised. Bar El Quijote, which is just across the bridge as you enter the town, was very good. Lovely lady called Anna helped me and you have to like a place that when you ask for another glass of wine say "help yourself "! So a beer, 3 glasses of help yourself wine, fried anchovies then chicken and chips all for 13 euros!

Sax to Caudete via Villena 29kms
Out at 0730 and arrived at 1230. Hot today and had used all my water in the water sac by the time I arrived. However, I still had a litre in reserve. Unusually, I had a coffee before I left sax and a coffee and tostada in Villena - I must me getting soft! Track was simple today, well marked and flat - too flat really as I hate seeing my destination when it's more than 15kms away! More general agricultural on the way and plenty of wild flowers still out. Unfortunately, it is a fiesta here today so little if anything is open. On the bright side there is a fridge full of beer in the AdP!Staying in my first AdP for this Camino and it's fairly typical. In an old church building with bunk beds and a single shower. However, at the moment I'm the only one there but I'm told another person is expected later. So far this Camino is definitely not crowded. There have only 2 others here this week and it would seem only 3 English people in 5 years! Tomorrow I should see the little red elephants of the Camino Anibal!

Yeees the red elephants are cute! Uhm... Some of them look like red blobs of paint rather than elephants but I appreciate the artist's efforts...

More or less 2 people a week is also what I could see in the registers at the albergues, two years ago, looking through the months of Spring. During Summer it must be almost deserted...

So you are off to Montealegre del Castillo tomorrow? That is another stage where you can see the town several kilometers before you arrive... And bring water because there is no place to stay in between? Or, coming from Caudete (and not from Yecla), are there any villages to pass through?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my way to MdC at the moment. No places in between but I knew that so have plenty of water. Route is dimple and flat and I Agee avotthe red elephants. Just spoke to the tourist office in Petrola so I should be ok for a bed there! Next few stages are awkward if there is nowhere to stay ion Petrola. I would prefer not to need to call the day before but that seems to be the requirement.

On my way to MdC at the moment. No places in between but I knew that so have plenty of water. Route is dimple and flat and I Agee avotthe red elephants. Just spoke to the tourist office in Petrola so I should be ok for a bed there! Next few stages are awkward if there is nowhere to stay ion Petrola. I would prefer not to need to call the day before but that seems to be the requirement.

I always called one day ahead. I don't know if that was necessary, given the low numbers of pilgrim. There will certainly be a place for you to stay in Pétrola, but as you now know, no shower... There is not much to see in that town but, as you might experience tomorrow, it's a beautiful walk to get there! Will you stay in Chincilla or try to reach Albacete the day after?

My guide book infers you must call the day before. Not to ensure a place but I think it is so someone is expecting you! Found today's walk tough for no obvious reason but I'm sure it's more than the 35 kms the guide shows as I know my place. Luckily tomorrow is a short one as I hope to go to Albacete to next day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Caudete to Montealegre del Castillo 35kms

No one else arrived last night so I was by myself again. Left at 0700 and got to MdC at 1410. I knew I had to go to the Ayuntamiento (town hall) to register and get the keys. Also I knew they would not be open all afternoon. Luckily for me they did not close until 1430! That would make it tough for some to get there in time as I walk quite quickly! Track to here was good and well marked with yellow arrows and little red elephants. Mainly flat again and passed lots of almond and walnut trees and wild flowers. Also lots a rabbits around. Last section is a dull slog along a road. Only relief was seeing 3 people going along the Camino riding skateboards and a Spanish driver that stopped in the middle of the road to call me over and tell me how to get into the AdP! MdC is quite a small town with about 700 inhabitants. Their AdP is excellent - 8 beds,2 loos and a shower all very clean and very nicely done. No charge either and they would not take a donativo either. Just had my 3 course lunch (with a coke!) but unfortunately this placed is closed tonight so I need to find somewhere else for tonight. Saw in the register that there is a Scottish man a day ahead of me so I guess we will catch up at some point! Be nice to have a conversation with more than ten words in it! Hasta manana.

Yeah it is a real slog to get to MdC, the last kilometers... I think the distance from Yecla is somewhat shorter, about 30 kms?

You have a beautiful walk to look forward to tomorrow. Not from the start, but rather half-way through. You'll see!

The staff in the Ayuntamiento of MdC are very friendly and the albergue is nice, I agree. The same procedure mañana in Pétrola, aim for the Ayuntamiento. There is a Damian that is responsible for the albergue, right? He is some sort of Camino character that I have heard of but I never met him... Maybe you will have better luck...

/BP

I am looking forward to it. Yes it is Damian who I called yesterday. At least tomorrow is a short walk ready for a couple of long days after Albacete. When you said in an earlier post that you could see MdCfrom a long way I was getting worried as I could not see it when I thought I should be close. Turns out that you don't really see it until you turn the last corner and it's about 2kms away! Thanks!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was joined in the AdP in MdC by a Spanish peregrino called Pepe. He is doing the Camino on on electric bike! The person who let us into the AdP warned us not to let the door close unless we had a key. Evidently, someone recently stepped outside to check something and the door closed and locked on them. No keys and no trousers! Had to go across to the restaurant to get them to phone for help!

MdC to Petrola only 23kms

An easy day today but the next stop is another 36 kms away. Left at 0710 and arrived at 1200. Lovely stroll today on a good track with lots of little twists and turns. Pleasant scenery and still dry. Although the last 6km was dead straight again! This is a very small place so found my way to the bed,after asking for help,them asked for the best place to eat. Hopefully they are open tonight as well. The albergue is very simple, just 4 bunk beds on a room that is part of the church. A hand basin with cold water and a toilet. So it was an RA's dhoby for me! (Ask a navy person what that means!) To get to the AdP you need to phone Damian Lopez the day before. Then when you arrive you need to call again and go to 19 Calle San Bernard to get the key. I had to ask the baker! Damian is 100 m right of bar Jesus the AdP is to the left of the bar by the church.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3397.JPG
    IMG_3397.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3399.JPG
    IMG_3399.JPG
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3400.JPG
    IMG_3400.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3401.JPG
    IMG_3401.JPG
    697.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
I was joined in the AdP in MdC by a Spanish peregrino called Pepe. He is doing the Camino on on electric bike! The person who let us into the AdP warned us not to let the door close unless we had a key. Evidently, someone recently stepped outside to check something and the door closed and locked on them. No keys and no trousers! Had to go across to the restaurant to get them to phone for help!

MdC to Petrola only 23kms

An easy day today but the next stop is another 36 kms away. Left at 0710 and arrived at 1200. Lovely stroll today on a good track with lots of little twists and turns. Pleasant scenery and still dry. Although the last 6km was dead straight again! This is a very small place so found my way to the bed,after asking for help,them asked for the best place to eat. Hopefully they are open tonight as well. The albergue is very simple, just 4 bunk beds on a room that is part of the church. A hand basin with cold water and a toilet. So it was an RA's dhoby for me! (Ask a navy person what that means!) To get to the AdP you need to phone Damian Lopez the day before. Then when you arrive you need to call again and go to 19 Calle San Bernard to get the key. I had to ask the baker! Damian is 100 m right of bar Jesus the AdP is to the left of the bar by the church.

That must be one of the longest straight roads of all the Caminos - longer than the one to Guillena on VdlP?

The skies look rather ominous! Bare in mind that the next stage can be tricky in or after it has rained: the roads get muddy. The last slog into Albacete can be particularly difficult when your feet just sink through... Perhaps you have better shoes than me.

Will you visit Chinchilla as well?

Think I have got the photos to upload now! Here are a few from the previous part of the camino

The first picture is from the first arrow next to the Basílica, right? There is a pensión at the other side of the street, if anyone wants a fast start!

BP. It has stayed dry so far so my fingers are crossed for dry but not too hot weather. Not going via Chinchilla as there are a few long stretches coming up and it's a bit early in the Camino and font won't to over do it.
The first picture is from the first arrow next to the Basílica, right? There is a pensión at the other side of the street, if anyone wants a fast start!
Yes you are correct.

Petrola to Albacete 35km
Got up to a wet day today so put on my trusty poncho and headed out at 0700. Arrived just before 1400 and it rained or drizzled most of the time. Luckily, Albacete had the least as the track in would have been very muddy otherwise. I could see heavy rain either side in the distance but I stayed fairly lucky. In fact, yesterday in this region there was an extremely heavy hailstorm for 30 mins that damaged large areas of crops so I was glad to miss that too. Besides the rain it was a nice track for most of the way and I was treated to a Spanish airforce display on my way in, loops, corkscrews and what looked like bombing runs. Glad I was not a target! Albacete looks like a fairly standard medium sized city but I'll get to explore later once I have checked into my Airbnb room at 1500. See photo - a bit better than last night!

Markings were not so good today. I realised early on that one very large rock just out of Petrola had been moved so the direction was wrong and later on many appeared to be missing. Also, the final 5 kms ish into the city should be a fairly straight track but the route has been used to dump tons of soil on. Had to go around, not difficult but a nuisance. Glad I had the gpx track and apple maps today!

Attachments

• IMG_3405.JPG
    IMG_3405.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3406.JPG
    875.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3409.JPG
    IMG_3409.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Petrola to Albacete 35km
Got up to a wet day today so put on my trusty poncho and headed out at 0700. Arrived just before 1400 and it rained or drizzled most of the time. Luckily, Albacete had the least as the track in would have been very muddy otherwise. I could see heavy rain either side in the distance but I stayed fairly lucky. In fact, yesterday in this region there was an extremely heavy hailstorm for 30 mins that damaged large areas of crops so I was glad to miss that too. Besides the rain it was a nice track for most of the way and I was treated to a Spanish airforce display on my way in, loops, corkscrews and what looked like bombing runs. Glad I was not a target! Albacete looks like a fairly standard medium sized city but I'll get to explore later once I have checked into my Airbnb room at 1500. See photo - a bit better than last night!

Markings were not so good today. I realised early on that one very large rock just out of Petrola had been moved so the direction was wrong and later on many appeared to be missing. Also, the final 5 kms ish into the city should be a fairly straight track but the route has been used to dump tons of soil on. Had to go around, not difficult but a nuisance. Glad I had the gpx track and apple maps today!

I wouldn't like to do that particular stage in the rain. You are on hardy pilgrim! :OD

Tomorrow you will have more flat, flat, flat to La Roda...

Thanks. I like to scout my way out each day so I know where to go. Especially in cities. Just spent an hour trying to find the way out of Albacete to Roda! Knew I had to get across the rail line but stupidly missed the pedestrian bridge! Think I assumed I was looking for a road! As usual the markings on the city are hard to hunt down. As it 40kms tomorrow and 43kms the next day I could do with a flat day. Just hope it is dry.

Thanks. I like to scout my way out each day so I know where to go. Especially in cities. Just spent an hour trying to find the way out of Albacete to Roda! Knew I had to get across the rail line but stupidly missed the pedestrian bridge! Think I assumed I was looking for a road! As usual the markings on the city are hard to hunt down. As it 40kms tomorrow and 43kms the next day I could do with a flat day. Just hope it is dry.

Oh yes, it's tricky to get out of the town. I don't know if the guide is good here because I didn't use it, knowing since last time I was in Albacete where to go. Only arriving in La Gineta when I checked the maps I noticed I hadn't followed the guidebook. I think the Levante and the Sureste exits Albacete in different ways? And before Gineta there may be som places with faded or no arrows where the roads split... It will be interesting to read your comments tomorrow about the waymarks!

€60,-
Great that makes me really look forward to it . Still, I'm in the bar now having had lots of lovely food a lots of wonderful wine - even managed to get them to give me warm wine! Never understood why they tend to serve their red wine cold! Even a dam good Rioja gets served freezing unless you can convince otherwise. Hasta manana.

Albacete to La Roda 40kms

Started at 0720 and arrived at 1500 after a shot stopper for a coffee at La Gineta.

Albacete was a typical Spanish city in that there is no suburb - you go straight from the city to farmland. Pity about the open drain, that used to be a river, on the way out. An Europe had the cheek to call UK "the dirty man of Europe!!"

Simple well marked track out of town after getting over the rail tracks. Mainly dry to start with but it gradually got damper until after 2 hours I had to put my poncho on. Then kept raining to rest of the way. As recommended in my Spanish guided I had phoned the AdP the day before. When I found it there was no sign or any info about access. So I called the same number again and was told he be over in 40 mins. Lovely to hang around in the rain and it was only 10 degs He did turn up as promised and explained that all the beds had been taken! By now there were 3 of us as 2 German ladies had arrived who are walking the Camino Levante and the 2 routes cross here - which is why it was busy. 11 people and only 2 of us are on the Sureste. Fortunately, they had some spare mattresses- one look and the German ladies left! I did not fancy wandering around any more so I grabbed one and got on with it. The AdP is fairly basic and a bit of a mess. The standards on the Sureste seem a lot lower than on other routes. I can understand for the Sureste as it's not walked often, but the Levante is much busier. Hope it's dry tomorrow as I would prefer not to have a third wet day. The distances are challenging enough for the first week without the wet adding to the blister risk!

Albacete to La Roda 40kms

Started at 0720 and arrived at 1500 after a shot stopper for a coffee at La Gineta.

Albacete was a typical Spanish city in that there is no suburb - you go straight from the city to farmland. Pity about the open drain, that used to be a river, on the way out. An Europe had the cheek to call UK "the dirty man of Europe!!"

Simple well marked track out of town after getting over the rail tracks. Mainly dry to start with but it gradually got damper until after 2 hours I had to put my poncho on. Then kept raining to rest of the way. As recommended in my Spanish guided I had phoned the AdP the day before. When I found it there was no sign or any info about access. So I called the same number again and was told he be over in 40 mins. Lovely to hang around in the rain and it was only 10 degs He did turn up as promised and explained that all the beds had been taken! By now there were 3 of us as 2 German ladies had arrived who are walking the Camino Levante and the 2 routes cross here - which is why it was busy. 11 people and only 2 of us are on the Sureste. Fortunately, they had some spare mattresses- one look and the German ladies left! I did not fancy wandering around any more so I grabbed one and got on with it. The AdP is fairly basic and a bit of a mess. The standards on the Sureste seem a lot lower than on other routes. I can understand for the Sureste as it's not walked often, but the Levante is much busier. Hope it's dry tomorrow as I would prefer not to have a third wet day. The distances are challenging enough for the first week without the wet adding to the blister risk!

There seems to be a lot of peregrinos then. When I was in the AdP in La Roda I was the only one, and I was attended immediately. You mean the Bull Ring, right? By coincidence, Kinky1 from this blog was just a few days ahead of me and the one who had signed the register most recently! We both wrote a message about the need of a fridge in the albergue, I remember... :O)

/BP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... I think the Levante and the Sureste exits Albacete in different ways? ...
True. Sureste is on the left of the tracks and exits Albacete through industrial area (with Decathlon) and Levante crosses autovia and tracks and runs on right side of them.

Same from Chinchilla de Monte Aragon but there Sureste again runs through industrial area on right side of the road and Levante is on the left (where the airforce base is).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
La Roda to El Provencio via Minaya 43 kms

Left at 0700 arrived at 1520

It rained all day! Track from LR was good and clearly marked. Almost a straight path all the way. Stopped in Minaya for coffee and toast with olive oil and headed out after my short break. After a small place call Casas de Roldan the directions almost disappeared. In fact without my excellent sense of direction ( otherwise known as Apple maps) I'd have had little chance of finding my way. Many junctions had no arrows at all and it was made more difficult by the circular fields that the paths followed. After about 20 kms it sorted itself out and the signs for the final section are very good. The beds are sports mattress on a floor in the sports hall changing rooms. Better than it sound as its warm, clean and I can lock the door. I also have 4 mattresses to myself as no one else is here. Getting into these places is often problematic as it can be hard to find who has the key. However, it could not of been better here as Manuel, who I phoned yesterday to say I was coming, must have seen me walking down the street as he came and met me about 1km from the sports hall and led me in. Then, no only was he very efficient getting me settled, but he gave me a load of other info about future places to stay. He is the star of the Camino Sureste to date. Along the Camino Don Quijote today and not one windmill!

Attachments

• IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Saw some blue sky just now then it started raining hard and thundering! Rain is so heavy the locals are taking photos. I told them I was English so it was normal, then had another beer!
Hahahahaha, at least some comfort :D
For an Englishman ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After a small place call Casas de Roldan the directions almost disappeared. In fact without my excellent sense of direction ( otherwise known as Apple maps) I'd have had little chance of finding my way. Many junctions had no arrows at all and it was made more difficult by the circular fields that the paths followed.

Totally agree, and I had no Apple maps... I was so confused out there but somehow managed to find El Provencio. Didn't you find a portion of the way a few kms outside El Provencio to be difficult? There was a sandy path/road and I hade to slide around in it for a while, not knowing where to put my feet. I thought it would become a mud-bath in rainy conditions?

However, it could not of been better here as Manuel, who I phoned yesterday to say I was coming, must have seen me walking down the street as he came and met me about 1km from the sports hall and led me in. Then, no only was he very efficient getting me settled, but he gave me a load of other info about future places to stay. He is the star of the Camino Sureste to date.

Manuel is very kind indeed! The best hospitalero of the Sureste in my opinion! :O)

I suppose you want to stay at the monastery/convent in El Toboso as everyone speeks good about it... But don't forget the restaurante Quijote is ok as well! Room with AC was 17 euros (2 years ago, at least) which was a must for me, considering the heat... But you don't seem to have that problem for the moment...

/BP

Last edited:
BP - no problem with the paths as they have all drained well so far. In Toboso now and at the Don Quijote Hostel. Pretty basic - see next post.

El Provencio to Don Fabrique 43kms

Last nights accommodation worked out well. As it was in the sports stadium complex it meant I had the key to the whole place. Can't see that happening in U.K.! Left at 0700 and arrived at 1500 after a short stop in Las Mensas. Thankfully, it was dry at the start and stayed dry all day. I even saw the sun for a short while. Route from EP was simple a very well marked and after LM it was along the road for about 11km and then the rest was on a good track. Markings very good all the way. Got into DP fine and headed for Hostel Don Quijote. The local convent offers beds but I thought the Hostel would be easier. I got there at what must have been peak time for their family Sunday lunch! It was utter chaos. Managed to confirm I was in the right place but I needed to talk with Papa for the room. Well Papa was working As frantically as possible (but not efficiently) and was clear pressed for time! Managed to catch his attention and got the 'in a moment ' response. After 15 mins I got the chef to give me a beer and then 15 mins stopped Papa and explained I just wanted to if there was a room or not. He said yes, so I got another beer and had lunch. Afterwards I got the key to the room, killed the resident cockroach and settled in - maybe I should have gone to the convent. However, I looked around the convent later on and could see no way in or a sign for access. Otherwise ok and as my legs are tired from 3 long days I had no desire to go hunting for a room elsewhere. Tomorrow is a short day of only 25 kms so I'll get a rest. I called tomorrow's place earlier today-El Rincon del Infante- which is highly recommended for peregrino's - but when I asked for a room I got a very long winded reply of which I understood very little!! Lucky, I found them on Booking.com so reserved that way!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I got there at what must have been peak time for their family Sunday lunch!

Yes I have met different members of the family there, or so I think... A boy and a girl (Papa's children?) are much more inclined to help the costumers, is my experience... Papa was nowhere to be seen but the youngsters ran the place without problems...

Route from EP was simple a very well marked and after LM it was along the road for about 11km and then the rest was on a good track.

Do you know if it was possible to obtain water at the Ermita de Manjavacas? Are the fountains working?

I called tomorrow's place earlier today-El Rincon del Infante- which is highly recommended for peregrino's - but when I asked for a room I got a very long winded reply of which I understood very little!! Lucky, I found them on Booking.com so reserved that way!!

Uh-oh, that sounds like Juan (the hospitalero). Boy you're in for a treat. "Highly recommended" = YES, I would recommend it myself. But the hospitalero can be quite fuzzy and... talkative, to say the least. He's a real character of the Camino. Damian and Manuel are also characters, but Juan is the one I remember most vividly. :O)

You have something to look forward tooo

/BP

BP - no idea about water at the ermita as I carry lots so didn't look. Had a coffee in the morning at the Hostel Don Quijote as I only have about 26 kms to walk. Lot calmer in here this morning but I would advise others to look elsewhere. The room was 18 euros and the foood was expensive compared to most places on the Camino!

Ok,

And tomorrow off to Tembleque? Juan will give you the directions to a good place to stay in Tembleque, unless you have other plans!

€83,-
IMG_3422.JPG IMG_3423.JPG Just a short note about El Toboso. Overall, I think the Hostel Don Quijote is best avoided. It is expensive, both for the bed and the food and the standard is poor considering the price. I would suggest that others first try the convent. If that is not possible or not your favourite option there are 2 Casa Rurals signed outside the village. Only about 1km from the Hostel and right on the Camino. One called Casa del Cominco the Amendros with phone numbers of 678694498 and 615960618.

Attachments

• IMG_3424.JPG
    IMG_3424.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
View attachment 33522 View attachment 33523 Just a short note about El Toboso. Overall, I think the Hostel Don Quijote is best avoided. It is expensive, both for the bed and the food and the standard is poor considering the price. I would suggest that others first try the convent. If that is not possible or not your favourite option there are 2 Casa Rurals signed outside the village. Only about 1km from the Hostel and right on the Camino. One called Casa del Cominco the Amendros with phone numbers of 678694498 and 615960618.

Always good with options on where to stay.

Nice to see what the vineyards look like in April/May. More pictures please! ;O)

Later start than normal today as it was a short hike. Sky was clear blue and the sun was shining. A bit chilly but lovely all the same. Decided to take the route via Quintanar as it was only about 3 km extra. The route out of ET was well marked and one of the nicest paths so far. Rest of the way to DF was simply and flat. Didn't need a map as the way was obvious. When I found the way the the Rincon del Infante I was met in the plaza by the owner and I them realised what he had been trying to say on the phone. Its fiesta day and I arrived 5 mins before the procession came into the square! I thought he said something about 'festa' when I phoned. Probably good job I booked via booking.com as I'm not sure otherwise they would have been taking bookings! Juan was extremely helpful. It took 3 beers, some cheese, crisps and mussels as well as a lot of info before I got to my room. No criticism meant- he was just very welcoming to a peregrino and the washing was still included. Even though he was at great pains to explain to me that it was going to cost me 5 euros more because I used Booking.com! Lovely place and a must stop for the Camino.

Attachments

• IMG_3424.JPG
    IMG_3424.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Don Fadrique to Tembleque 30 kms. Left at 0730 and arrived at 1300

Slightly later start than normal as Juan the hospitalero at Rincon del Infante insisted on giving me breakfast! Toast, marmalade, fruit,cake and coffee. Then insisted I took some fruit juice, fruit as well as ham and bread with me! Felt like a child leaving home. It was a beautiful morning and the clouds just breaking up as I left. It turned into a lovely clear blue sky day and by the time I arrived it was about 25 degs. Route was simple, mostly flat and it was well marked. Juan had drawn me an alternative map to show an option to save 3km by walking alongside the road for longer. Nice thought, but I would happily walk an extra 3 km or more to avoid the road. If it was a 40km day then maybe I would choose differently. Hotel Pasada is to the right just as you enter town so easy to find. Have a large, clean room with a bath and a shower for 20 euros inc breakfast. Took a short walk around to find lunch and it is a pretty well cared for town.

Tomorrow I plan to got to Mora as there is evidently a good place to stay called El Toledano. This way I can avoid having to stay in Almonacid de Toledo which has a bad reputation and go direct to Toledo the next day. The day after also looks like a variation as I am told that beds in Noves are extremely limited so instead I will probably head for Torrijos which should be about 34kms and then the next day head for Escalona ( about 27 kms) or go on to Cadalso which would be about 45 kms. The choice will depend on how I feel and what the weather is like!

Attachments

• IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    772.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Tomorrow I plan to got to Mora as there is evidently a good place to stay called El Toledano. This way I can avoid having to stay in Almonacid de Toledo which has a bad reputation and go direct to Toledo the next day. The day after also looks like a variation as I am told that beds in Noves are extremely limited so instead I will probably head for Torrijos which should be about 34kms and then the next day head for Escalona ( about 27 kms) or go on to Cadalso which would be about 45 kms. The choice will depend on how I feel and what the weather is like!

Good! Beautiful pictures as always!

Almonacid de Toledo boasts some impressive ruins of a castle, but the "albergue" is not much to put in the Christmas tree, as we say over here.

Please send a review of el Toledano in Mora. I don't remember the name of the place where I stayed myself. Are there several options in Mora?

Limited beds in Novés, well perhaps, but the house (Caritas is in charge) is decent standard for being donativo.

Do you know where to stay in Torrijos? Bar Abuelo is ok, but I guess there are other options as well.

/BP

Torrijos is supposed to have an albergue. Can find some stuff from 2013 on the web but no phone number. Juan told me about it. There are other options there anyway. As for Mora I can only find the Toledano so I'll see. Do you have any other info about beds in Noves - how many? Does the Lavante go through there as well? As that makes it busier. Must say that the Posado here is really excellent for 20 euros. Not forgetting that if there was two of us it would probably still be 20 euros! Thanks for info about Bar Abuelo.

Torrijos is supposed to have an albergue. Can find some stuff from 2013 on the web but no phone number. Juan told me about it. There are other options there anyway. As for Mora I can only find the Toledano so I'll see. Do you have any other info about beds in Noves - how many? Does the Lavante go through there as well? As that makes it busier. Must say that the Posado here is really excellent for 20 euros. Not forgetting that if there was two of us it would probably still be 20 euros! Thanks for info about Bar Abuelo.

Hi,

Novés is on the Sureste, Torrijos on the Levante! They meet again in Escalona. Let me refresh your memory with our previous conversation:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-santiago-between-toledo-and-escalona.42809/

If there are more pilgrims around after Toledo/Rielves they will split during that stage, so I don't think there will be a full house in Novés, nor in Torrijos... Have you seen other pilgrims now? And isn't the number of beds listed in the guide? There were at least 2 bedrooms so 3-4 beds I would say, if not more...

I would love to hear about the new option that goes through Villamiel de Toledo, if you're heading towards Novés! :O)

I knew Torrijos was on the levante but was not sure if the Levante went through Noves as well. The guide only says there is place to stay but no other info about beds. I have so phone numbers and names in my spreadsheet. I think I will have to wait and see.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tembleque to Mora 25 km
Left at 0800 as it was such a short day and arrived at 1230! Intended to stop at Villanueva de Bogas but no bar to be found. Mind you they had at least 2 ladies hairdressers! Good track to VdC although one junction was unmarked. The route from VdC to Mora was excellent- probably the nicest so far. Helped by the fact that there were so hills at last and the scenery was very pleasant. Nice to see the hermitage and the very old castles as well. Where the route divides to go to Mora or AdT it is very clearly marked by a large sigh post. Mora is a large town which like Tembleque is well kept and prosperous. Even the local police station is a grand building with a mosque like dome on the top. I stayed at Hostel El Toledano (925300242)which was clean and simple with a private shower. Perfect for peregrinos (17 euros). Fairly easy to find as it only 100m off of the Camino but it's only a single plain door as and entrance with a small notice outside. There are at least 2 others in town. One is immediately as you enter the town and the other is in the centre on the Camino called Hostal Agripino 25 euros 925300000/1 which looks grander. For tomorrow the way out appears to be well marked.

Attachments

• IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3497.JPG
    IMG_3497.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3498.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    940.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3501.JPG
    IMG_3501.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10
Intended to stop at Villanueva de Bogas but no bar to be found.

There are at least 2 bars. There is one on your right just after entering the village. But the entrance is not towards the street but around the corner of the building; perhaps it's easy to just walk by. The other one is even less visible I think, and on the left side if I'm not mistaken, on another street than the "main" one through the village.

Last edited:
route from VdC to Mora was excellent- probably the nicest so far.

This connection between Villanueva de Bogas (do you mean VdB??) and Mora - is it mentioned in the guide and is it marked with arrows (except for the sign post)? I went directly from Tembleque to Mora without passing through Villanueva de Bogas. Good with more options I suppose.

So you will reach Toledo tomorrow - that's worth a rest day of exploring! But perhaps you want to carry on! I'm looking forward to hear which route you take from Toledo!

/BP

... Los Pascuales is a nice place to stay in Toledo. I know that Laurie, K1 as well as I have stayed there; me on two occasions. But of course in Toledo you can find whatever you want in terms of lodging...

/BP

There are at least 2 bars. There is one on your right just after entering the village. But the entrance is not towards the street but around the corner of the building; perhaps it's easy to just walk by. The other one is even less visible I think, and on the left side if I'm not mistaken, on another street than the "main" one through the village.
I asked in the village and they said there was nowhere except further out on the main road.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mora to Toledo 37kms

Started a bit earlier at 0645 and arrived in Toledo at 1430 after a breakfast/lunch stop at Burguillos. Route out from Mora was good through the city but haphazard thereafter. Didn't matter as the Don Quijote camino is well marked. Seems a pity to focus on a modern made up route. I know my tan must have come on a bit as when I was walking through Cobisa a delivery driver stopped and as me for directions! The last 8kms or so down into Toledo are lovely, until you get the all the tourists on the high side of the river taking their photos. As you get to the main road and start to follow the river there is track that heads down towards the river. I ignored it as I was not aware of any other way across the river. However, there is clearly a 'ferry' on a steel rope that goes across the river. Not sure how you get to use it but if it's not in use the path follows on and then climbs back up to the road. I took the high route and entered the city across the old pedestrian bridge. The city is full of tourists. I'm no fan of big cities so I will be glad to leave for Noves tomorrow. Here it was 2.20 euros for a coke!! I'll try to phone the hospitalero in Noves later.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3508.JPG
    IMG_3508.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3509.JPG
    IMG_3509.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3511.JPG
    IMG_3511.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Mora to Toledo 37kms

Started a bit earlier at 0645 and arrived in Toledo at 1430 after a breakfast/lunch stop at Burguillos. Route out from Mora was good through the city but haphazard thereafter. Didn't matter as the Don Quijote camino is well marked. Seems a pity to focus on a modern made up route. I know my tan must have come on a bit as when I was walking through Cobisa a delivery driver stopped and as me for directions! The last 8kms or so down into Toledo are lovely, until you get the all the tourists on the high side of the river taking their photos. As you get to the main road and start to follow the river there is track that heads down towards the river. I ignored it as I was not aware of any other way across the river. However, there is clearly a 'ferry' on a steel rope that goes across the river. Not sure how you get to use it but if it's not in use the path follows on and then climbs back up to the road. I took the high route and entered the city across the old pedestrian bridge. The city is full of tourists. I'm no fan of big cities so I will be glad to leave for Noves tomorrow. Here it was 2.20 euros for a coke!! I'll try to phone the hospitalero in Noves later.

Nice! I'm doing my pre-camino chores here. Having bought the credencial and booked a place to stay in Alicante, I prepare to follow in your footsteps, at least for the first stages (I'm taking the Lana in Villena, remember.) Hopefully San Juan won't mess up my chances to find lodgin during the weekend (I arrive 22th of June)... I wonder if there would be a problem with that hotel in Sax, for example... I have no idea... Well, following your wonderful posts here makes me want to start right away! :O)

/BP

Sureste approach into Toledo must be much nicer than the Levante one. On Levante you walk last 10 or so kilometers on the highway. Not very pleasant especially in summer heat.

KinkyOne - there still a lot of tarmac but the views are nice and it is only the beginning of May so highest temperature at the months 25 degs. I don't envy BP starting in Jun!

Sureste approach into Toledo must be much nicer than the Levante one. On Levante you walk last 10 or so kilometers on the highway. Not very pleasant especially in summer heat.

Oh, but I think it is the same way. I approached Toledo on the same road both on Levante and Sureste. Or is there an alternative that I am not aware of? Mike (Sureste) said he went from Burguillos-Cobisa to Toledo, which is also the Levante track. Right?

Toledo to Noves 33kms

Left Toledo at just after 0630 as I was not certain if I would stop in Noves or continue to Quismondo as I had been unable to contact the AdP in Noves (more of that later). Started in light rain accompanied by thunder and lightning, luckily it stopped after about an hour and stayed overcast until Huecas. The initial route out of Toledo is relatively simple as you just go along Av de Barber to the north of the city. There are a few options to get there from the old town but all require a steep descent down a near vertical cliff. I had 2 choice either down the longest escalators I have seen (about 300m) or further west down some steps. Didn't expect to be able to use the escalators as they don't open until 0700. However, I had to walk past the escalators anyway and was delighted to find them already open at 0640. Straight down the escalator and then headed for Ave Barber. Head NW from there through a number of roundabouts with a few Camino signs evident. Was looking carefully for where this 'new' route via Villamiel splits from the alternate route via Rieves. However, it seems the what signs I saw were only to the villamiel route. From here to Huecas the signage was limited if not plain confusing - at one point there was a large formal camino sign to turn right and there is no right turn available!! Luckily, with apple maps I could see the route easily and my way was confirmed by the occasional camino sign. I have no idea what the other route is like but this one is unattractive- it's all either on road or next to the road. The only good thing is that it's 7kms shorter. From Huecas things improved as the track was better, being well away from roads, the markings were mostly good and the sun came out. Arrived in Noves at 1300 still not sure if I would stop. However, as I headed through Noves on the camino towards the church a group of ladies said hello and asked if I was looking for the AdP! Turns out this was Phillepe's house and he had the keys! Took it as a sign to stop. Seems to be a good choice as it started raining when I got indoors.

The Adp is fine. 7 beds (inc a double!) lots of other space and a washing machine ❤️. Phillipe insisted that I have dinner with him and his family tonight and even tried to offer breakfast until I explained I would be leaving at about 0630! The AdP is a simple place but it has all that's required. A little grubby in places so I had a bit of a clean as I had time to spare.

Now for some AdP facts:

AdP Hospitalero is Phillepe 677832460 He lives at 18 Calle de la Iglesia and the

AdP is 6 Calle Jose Caro.

Attachments

• IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Was looking carefully for where this 'new' route via Villamiel splits from the alternate route via Rieves. However, it seems the what signs I saw were only to the villamiel route.

Okay, so you followed the red line on Julian's map, right? Things haver changed then, because earlier there were only arrows sending people off through Rielves, at least that I could see when I was walking from Toledo. But of course, Julian posted the map with the different/new options last year, so the Asociación must have gone out to do some re-painting at the same time. So is this is the new route that will be promoted, by the Asociación, through Villamiel instead of Rielves?? It doesn't seem that inspiring from what you tell. In that case, the road from Toledo through Rielves is less asphalt. I mean, I remember it continues for a good while on asphalt after leaving Toledo, but the largest part is on farm tracks, in a rural area that is calm and beautiful, with some wildlife. A looong stretch of some 20 kms out in the countryside with no intermediate village before Rielves.

I would like to call on Julian to hear what the plans are according to the Asociación! Ha ha! I'm such a nerd. But it seems that it would be more camino-esque to promote the road through Rielves, still. I'll have to go myself to check out what Villamiel de Toledo is all about... :OD

Sorry if I lured you into taking what seemed to be the "boring" option Mike, that was not my intention!!

/BP

Last edited:
BP. Don't worry I would have taken that route in any case once I decided to go to Noves as I wanted the shorter option in case I had to go on to Quisimondo. What is strange is that I can clearly see better options - even from the outskirts of Toledo- on my online maps. I have also put Felipe in contact with Juan from Rincon del Infante so that Juan better understand what is here in Noves.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Noves to Cadalso los Vidrios via Escalona 38 kms

Good start with a lovely track today - one of the best so far. Route out of Noves was simple and a pleasant walk to Quismondo. Checked that Hostel Euro Quismondo was there and it is on the right of camino as you leave Quismondo. Looks small and simple. Way to Escalona was lovely with a slight change to the farm landscape with more arable land and saw my first cows since I started! The route from Paredes de Escalona has been made more direct than previously with clearly lots of effort and the way is very well marked. Last 7km are on a very old tarmac road that is uphill all the way to CdlV. There are 2 Hostels here - the San Jose (it has 20 rooms) and the Cadalso. So unless you are here in peak Spanish holiday time rooms should be easy. Off to San Bartolome de Pinares tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3523.JPG
    IMG_3523.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3525.JPG
    IMG_3525.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_3526.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3527.JPG
    IMG_3527.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3529.JPG
    IMG_3529.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10
The route from Paredes de Escalona has been made more direct than previously with clearly lots of effort and the way is very well marked. Last 7km are on a very old tarmac road that is uphill all the way to CdlV.

Hm,

I took the older option (?), which must have been longer. Mostly tarmac with intermediate sections of paths in the woods, supposedly in order to avoid the wide curves of the carretera. But the last 5 kms or so to Cadalso de los Vidrios was not on asphalt at all.

You can look forward to an amazing scenery tomorrow! If you want a piece of advice: descend into San Bartolomé on the carretera instead of the "other way", if the options are indicated in your guidebook! You will certainly want to fish out your camera on that stretch...

And you will certainly see more cows tomorrow!! :OD

/BP

BP- thank you for the info. The guide offers both routes so why the preference ?

Last edited:

€60,-
BP- thank you for the info. The guy de offers both routes so why the preference ?

Hi,

Well as you know I tried them both... The carretera gives you a spectacular view of the hills/mountains and the valley. One year earlier I took the other camino, one that avoids the tarmac of the carretera (I think - this was a few years ago), and of course it's nice also with the giant boulders and stones in different shapes that surround the path. But as I remember it, you don't have any view of the hills or the valley there.

The two options are completely different until you reach San Bartolomé, strangely enough!

I expect to see some pictures! :OD

Oh, but I think it is the same way. I approached Toledo on the same road both on Levante and Sureste. Or is there an alternative that I am not aware of? Mike (Sureste) said he went from Burguillos-Cobisa to Toledo, which is also the Levante track. Right?
As I know after Nambroca official Levante goes to the right and Sureste to the left.

Cadalso de los Vidrios to San Bartolome de Pinares via Cebreros 37kms (felt like 40 +)!

A wonderful walk today but tough. Started at 0700 and arrived at 1445. Blue skies and mid to high 20s by the afternoon. Lots of birds singing and besides the first 8kms it was just about all off road. Just before Cebreros I walked through a mass of people and passed many more who it turned out were going to the towns big festa! The Day was tough because from about 5kms before Cebreros until about 12kms before SBdP it's all uphill. Climbed about 700m and that's not counting the bits where you go down a little so you can go up again! That said the scenery and track were great. A few lovely old bridges and lots of scrambling between grit stone boulders. There is a stretch where I was really glad there had been no rain as it was a bit boggy even now. Way was extremely well marked. I had hoped to stay in the AdP but failed to find it. I knew it was supposed to be in Casa de Pino and I had telephone numbers. No answer on the phones and when I asked in a couple of bars and elsewhere I just got a puzzled response. Didn't want to spend much more time hunting around so went to Hostal El Patio (25 euros). There is also another Hostal called Beatriz Toledo. It's a pity that none of the AdPs on this camino so far have had a single arrow pointing to where they are and if you are lucky enough to fine it there probably no sign outside let alone anything on the door to tell people how to get the keys. After settling in I took a stroll around SBdP as I thought I would have a look for the other Hostal (it does not appear to be there any more!) and the AdP- which I still could not find - as I would have liked to get an address and I would have far preferred to give them the money!
BP - I set before I saw your post about the route into SBdP. I took the off road route ( the guide shows both options) but I prefer off road and it was the way marked.

Attachments

• IMG_3540.JPG
    IMG_3540.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3542.JPG
    IMG_3542.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3543.JPG
    IMG_3543.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3545.JPG
    IMG_3545.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3549.JPG
    IMG_3549.JPG
    840.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3550.JPG
    IMG_3550.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I may be wrong or "misremembering", but I think the albergue there was above the funeral parlour. When I was there the hospitalera was the alcadesa, and very charming and helpful. It's a lovely walk the next day over the highlands to Ávila.

Cadalso de los Vidrios to San Bartolome de Pinares via Cebreros 37kms (felt like 40 +)!

A wonderful walk today but tough. Started at 0700 and arrived at 1445. Blue skies and mid to high 20s by the afternoon. Lots of birds singing and besides the first 8kms it was just about all off road. Just before Cebreros I walked through a mass of people and passed many more who it turned out were going to the towns big festa! The Day was tough because from about 5kms before Cebreros until about 12kms before SBdP it's all uphill. Climbed about 700m and that's not counting the bits where you go down a little so you can go up again! That said the scenery and track were great. A few lovely old bridges and lots of scrambling between grit stone boulders. There is a stretch where I was really glad there had been no rain as it was a bit boggy even now. Way was extremely well marked. I had hoped to stay in the AdP but failed to find it. I knew it was supposed to be in Casa de Pino and I had telephone numbers. No answer on the phones and when I asked in a couple of bars and elsewhere I just got a puzzled response. Didn't want to spend much more time hunting around so went to Hostal El Patio (25 euros). There is also another Hostal called Beatriz Toledo. It's a pity that none of the AdPs on this camino so far have had a single arrow pointing to where they are and if you are lucky enough to fine it there probably no sign outside let alone anything on the door to tell people how to get the keys. After settling in I took a stroll around SBdP as I thought I would have a look for the other Hostal (it does not appear to be there any more!) and the AdP- which I still could not find - as I would have liked to get an address and I would have far preferred to give them the money!
BP - I set before I saw your post about the route into SBdP. I took the off road route ( the guide shows both options) but I prefer off road and it was the way marked.

Glad you enjoyed the views. Uphill is tough on this stage. Hostal Beatriz Toledo - I have never heard of it? Hostal El Patio is nice. I liked the owners and the food was great! The albergue in San Bartolomé is in the Centro de Salud (Health Care Center) if I'm not mistaken. You get the keys from a lady who lives nearby - the one Alan mentions above, if it's still her. It's very basic and the showers are in another building. I think Hostal El Patio is the better choice.

Today is uphill again for several kms but it's not as steep as today. Be nice to the cows!

Tornadizos de Ávila is not on the Camino but very close, if you need a bar before Ávila.

/BP

Last edited:
SBdP to Avila 25km

Left at 0730 and arrived at - 1230

Beautiful day again and a wonderful short stroll to Avila. There is another steep climb starting 6kms out of SBdP when it climbs 450m in about 4kms - which I really felt after yesterday's hill. Glad it was only 25kms in the end. Also this steep stretch could be a problem if it has been wet as you would probably be walking up a stream! In that case, better to take the road I think. Could see some snow on top of some of the distant hills and could feel the temperature drop at the top today. The rest of the walk was mainly downhill all the way to Avila. It is noticeable how much the general way markings and info has improved since getting into the Castillo and Leon region. The AdP here is excellent and it is clearly marked on the way.All the facilities inc a washing machine! However, it is on the outside of the wall so you may end up walking a kilometre or 2 further than you expect! Great location right on the Camino. There is a notice outside with the hospitalero's phone number, but luckily when I arrived he was there just getting ready to leave.

Attachments

• IMG_3550.JPG
    IMG_3550.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3553.JPG
    IMG_3553.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3554.JPG
    IMG_3554.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Tornadizos de Ávila is not on the Camino but very close, if you need a bar before Ávila.

/BP
Good for others to have extra info about the AdP in SBdP. The other Hostal I mentioned is one that comes up on google!
I went to Tornadizos as I followed the arrows and the bar was open!

SBdP to Avila 25km

Left at 0730 and arrived at - 1230

Beautiful day again and a wonderful short stroll to Avila. There is another steep climb starting 6kms out of SBdP when it climbs 450m in about 4kms - which I really felt after yesterday's hill. Glad it was only 25kms in the end. Also this steep stretch could be a problem if it has been wet as you would probably be walking up a stream! In that case, better to take the road I think. Could see some snow on top of some of the distant hills and could feel the temperature drop at the top today. The rest of the walk was mainly downhill all the way to Avila. It is noticeable how much the general way markings and info has improved since getting into the Castillo and Leon region. The AdP here is excellent and it is clearly marked on the way.All the facilities inc a washing machine! However, it is on the outside of the wall so you may end up walking a kilometre or 2 further than you expect! Great location right on the Camino. There is a notice outside with the hospitalero's phone number, but luckily when I arrived he was there just getting ready to leave.

Walking up the hills in rainy weather is a completely different experience than walkling in sunshine. Especially for the first part one is walking in mud, up the stream. There was one part, albeit very short, that slowed me down because I didn't know where to put my feet. The next time I was there I just walked through in a few seconds...

Are you alone in the albergue? Normally a lot of people start from Ávila so you should have some company from now on?

Avila to Gotarrendura only 24.5kms

Another short one today. Avila was an impressive walled town and it was nice to walk around it in the afternoon while the street were in shade. This AdP has beds for 10 and there has not been that many here in the past week. I was the only one there until about 1600 when I wandered up to the gate and found a Spanish cyclist there! Turned out he had been trying to phone for an hour and couldn't get a key! Not much chance for the rest of us - in fact the Norwegian man I mention further down was evidently at the AdP gate later in the evening when we were out and he never got in! According to a notice in the AdP ,'the' bar in gotarrendura is closed on Tuesdays so I picked up some essentials last night - inc a bottle of Rioja! So my pack is a little heavier today. Good job it's such a short one. Simple walk out of town on a quiet road for 7 kms to Narrillos de San Leonardo where I picked up some fresh bread. Too early for the bar to be open for cafe. Rest of the route was off road and very pleasant. No bars open on the way so went straight on to Gotarrendura and arrived at 1200 having left at 0730. When I arrived for the first time there were arrows to the Camino and to the AdP!! Regrettably, there was no sign on the door to say where to get the key but I guessed correctly that they were in the 'town hall'. However, this is the best AdP on this route so far. 4 peregrino beds plus 12 tourist beds, kitchen, showers, courtyard and a washing machine and dryer! In it even has solar water heating. The info about the bar being closed was correct so glad I picked up some food. At about 4pm a Norwegian man turned up and was very disappointed to be told there was nowhere to eat!! He considered going on but as the next stop of any size is 28kms it did seem like a great plan. Explained I have enough to share so neither of us will starve.

Attachments

• IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3582.JPG
    IMG_3582.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3584.JPG
    IMG_3584.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Gotarrendura to Arevalo 28kms

My Norwegian friend left earlier than me this morning and he is walking the Levante so I don't expect to see him again so fortunately I could walk solo. I'm happy to meet with others at the end of the day but I do prefer walking by myself. Left at 0730 and arrived at 1300. Good walk today, especially the last 15kms or so which was through a wonderful pine forest. The pines are being farmed for their sap as each one has a container on it to collect the sap. Also, many of these pines have mistletoe growing in them, it is very unusual to see it grow in pines in U.K. After about 5kms into the pines the camino arrows try to take you towards the road which I did want to do. I knew that there was a river valley to my left that went to Arevalo so decided to ignore the arrows and take an alternative route next to the valley! This worked out well as I stayed in the forest for an extra 5kms. Tomorrow should Medina del Campo. Camino signs out of town are confusing, glad I scouted the way out this afternoon. Feels like the weather is changing!

Attachments

• IMG_3591.JPG
    IMG_3591.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3592.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3594.JPG
    IMG_3594.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3600.JPG
    IMG_3600.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
At about 4pm a Norwegian man turned up and was very disappointed to be told there was nowhere to eat!! He considered going on but as the next stop of any size is 28kms it did seem like a great plan. Explained I have enough to share so neither of us will starve.
Nice you did that :)
I don't know whether Sureste and Levante goes different ways or are they overlaping from Gotarrendura to Arevalo but there is next village Hernansancho maybe an hour walk from Gotarrendura. It even has a pilgrim shelter. And if everything is closed the gasolinera at the entrance to the village would be opened.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back