Sureste late august 2018?

2018 edition Camino Guides
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Finisterre - Muxia(2014,16)
Portuguese (2016)
Vdlp and Sanabres (2017)
Ingles (2017)
Last year I left Seville on the 23rd August following the VDLP and then the Sanabres to Santiago. It took me 35days. While the first few weeks were extremely hot I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I know a lot on the forum would not consider doing the VDLP at that time of year but I would see it as one of the best times if you are properly prepared, sensible with hydration and keep within your limits. I had no rain any day on that camino (life is so much easier when it is dry!). The small number of pilgrims, especially at that time of year, was a big plus for me.

I am now seriously considering the Sureste this year for similar reasons. My intention would be to stick roughly to the same time frame, leaving Alicante around last week of August and arriving in Santiago first week October. I still haven't fully decided the entire route yet but am leaning towards Astorga from Benavente to Ponferrada and then on to the Camino Invierno, as I did the Sanabres last year.

I am interested to know if anyone is planning on doing the Camino del Sureste this year around that time and/or general thoughts/suggestions. I have the 2017 Pilgrim Guide by Lewis Roxby Maris and use mainly OsmAndMaps on my iPhone for directions.

Advertisment

domigee

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
2018: 'Via Lemovicensis or maybe Via Francigena, again....
Hi! I haven't walked it but was planning to one year (did the VdlP instead).
I got a list of accommodation from this Asociación, which would have proved very helpful I'm sure: http://www.encaminodesdealicante.org
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Portuguese (2016)
Vdlp and Sanabres (2017)
Ingles (2017)
Many thanks Domigee. Hope you do one day.

MikeJS

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2011), Norte (2012), VdlP (Apr 2016). Next - Sureste.
I walked the Sureste and then the Invierno last year starting in late Apr - details on the relevant threads on this forum. If you start in Aug you will probably be walking in 40 deg plus and you will be walking north into the cooler areas. I would recommend the guide that is available from the camino association in Alicante. The way was well marked on the Sureste and I did not see another walker for 95% of the way. I used a gps track for the Sureste and the Wise Pilgrim app for the Invierno.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Portuguese (2016)
Vdlp and Sanabres (2017)
Ingles (2017)
Hi Mike. Thanks for your response. Yeah it's a balancing act for me with regards my starting date and the expected temperature. Last year leaving Seville in late August it was 40+C and the first couple of weeks were hot but I excepted that, but it gives me a better chance of decent weather up north. It's a chance you take as you can never fully predict the weather. I carry a lot of water and use a brolly in those conditions. I experience much rain and cold weather here in Ireland that I enjoy the opportunity of a spell of real warm weather for a change.

I will try and pick up that guide from the association if I do the walk. I like the idea of using AirBandB for accommodation as an option. Never used them in Spain before. I have read you account of your Sureste experience last year. Really informative and greatly appreciated. I tried to upload your spreadsheet holding accommodation details but can't access it! Have you taken it down or is it a problem at my end? It would be a very useful resource.

Many thanks again.

Advertisment

Bob Chambers

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Levant from Avila 2013
Frances (2018 or 2019)
Three of us walked part of the Camino de Levante in late 2013. We started In Avila and detoured onto the Sureste for the final "run" into Santiago. I see that we finished in late September. Not many walkers, and clear days. In Galicia of course a few drizzly days. No really cold days.

MikeJS

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Mike. Thanks for your response. Yeah it's a balancing act for me with regards my starting date and the expected temperature. Last year leaving Seville in late August it was 40+C and the first couple of weeks were hot but I excepted that, but it gives me a better chance of decent weather up north. It's a chance you take as you can never fully predict the weather. I carry a lot of water and use a brolly in those conditions. I experience much rain and cold weather here in Ireland that I enjoy the opportunity of a spell of real warm weather for a change.

I will try and pick up that guide from the association if I do the walk. I like the idea of using AirBandB for accommodation as an option. Never used them in Spain before. I have read you account of your Sureste experience last year. Really informative and greatly appreciated. I tried to upload your spreadsheet holding accommodation details but can't access it! Have you taken it down or is it a problem at my end? It would be a very useful resource.

Many thanks again.
Sorry, but I think I deleted the spreadsheet some time ago. To be frank I hardly used it as in the end the guide from Amigos de Santiago en Alicante was much more comprehensive.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Portuguese (2016)
Vdlp and Sanabres (2017)
Ingles (2017)
No problem Mike. I will do my best to pick up the guide in Alicante if I take on the Sureste!
Cheers

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés August 2014
Camino Via de la Plata (Sevilla-Salamanca) May 2015
Camino Via de la Plata (Sevilla-Zafra) April 2016
Camino Via de la Plata (Zafra-Santiago) september 2016
Last year I left Seville on the 23rd August following the VDLP and then the Sanabres to Santiago. It took me 35days. While the first few weeks were extremely hot I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I know a lot on the forum would not consider doing the VDLP at that time of year but I would see it as one of the best times if you are properly prepared, sensible with hydration and keep within your limits. I had no rain any day on that camino (life is so much easier when it is dry!). The small number of pilgrims, especially at that time of year, was a big plus for me.

I am now seriously considering the Sureste this year for similar reasons. My intention would be to stick roughly to the same time frame, leaving Alicante around last week of August and arriving in Santiago first week October. I still haven't fully decided the entire route yet but am leaning towards Astorga from Benavente to Ponferrada and then on to the Camino Invierno, as I did the Sanabres last year.

I am interested to know if anyone is planning on doing the Camino del Sureste this year around that time and/or general thoughts/suggestions. I have the 2017 Pilgrim Guide by Lewis Roxby Maris and use mainly OsmAndMaps on my iPhone for directions.

Camino(s) past & future
We start on the 5e september to walk the camino del Sureste. I ordered a little guide by the Confraternity of St James in the Uk. (11 euro). Very good information of the stages in this guide.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Portuguese (2016)
Vdlp and Sanabres (2017)
Ingles (2017)
Hi Chrisje.
Thanks for your post. The guide you mention is it by Lewis Roxby Mairis? If it is then it's the one I have.

Camino(s) past & future
Yes indeed. We also will try by the Ass. del Peregrinos in Alicante to become some maps.
Buen Camino Joe

MikeJS

Camino(s) past & future
The guide from the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante is excellent and very up to date. It has all the necessary info. Its in Spanish but as an english reader with only a little spanish it was very easy to get the important info and the maps are really good.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
The guide from the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante is excellent and very up to date. It has all the necessary info wSpanish but as an english reader with only a little spanish it was very easy to get the important info and the maps are really good.

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks Mike !

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Portuguese (2016)
Vdlp and Sanabres (2017)
Ingles (2017)
Thanks Mike and Chrisje. Will definitely try and pick up the guide from the Amigos de Santiago. Is it open on a Wednesday as it will be the only day I would be able to go there as I arrive late on the Tuesday and intend to start walking early Thursday morning 23rd August?

Buen Camino Chrisje

Camino(s) past & future
You too Joe. Looking forward for this camino !
Buen camino !