• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sureste late august 2018?

Joe McDonald

Time of past OR future Camino
CF14
F'stere14,16,18
P'uese16
Vdlp/Sanabres/Ingles17
Sureste/Invierno18
Lana/SanSal/Primitivo19
Last year I left Seville on the 23rd August following the VDLP and then the Sanabres to Santiago. It took me 35days. While the first few weeks were extremely hot I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I know a lot on the forum would not consider doing the VDLP at that time of year but I would see it as one of the best times if you are properly prepared, sensible with hydration and keep within your limits. I had no rain any day on that camino (life is so much easier when it is dry!). The small number of pilgrims, especially at that time of year, was a big plus for me.

I am now seriously considering the Sureste this year for similar reasons. My intention would be to stick roughly to the same time frame, leaving Alicante around last week of August and arriving in Santiago first week October. I still haven't fully decided the entire route yet but am leaning towards Astorga from Benavente to Ponferrada and then on to the Camino Invierno, as I did the Sanabres last year.

I am interested to know if anyone is planning on doing the Camino del Sureste this year around that time and/or general thoughts/suggestions. I have the 2017 Pilgrim Guide by Lewis Roxby Maris and use mainly OsmAndMaps on my iPhone for directions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi! I haven't walked it but was planning to one year (did the VdlP instead).
I got a list of accommodation from this Asociación, which would have proved very helpful I'm sure: http://www.encaminodesdealicante.org
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Many thanks Domigee. Hope you do one day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Sureste and then the Invierno last year starting in late Apr - details on the relevant threads on this forum. If you start in Aug you will probably be walking in 40 deg plus and you will be walking north into the cooler areas. I would recommend the guide that is available from the camino association in Alicante. The way was well marked on the Sureste and I did not see another walker for 95% of the way. I used a gps track for the Sureste and the Wise Pilgrim app for the Invierno.

Hi Mike. Thanks for your response. Yeah it's a balancing act for me with regards my starting date and the expected temperature. Last year leaving Seville in late August it was 40+C and the first couple of weeks were hot but I excepted that, but it gives me a better chance of decent weather up north. It's a chance you take as you can never fully predict the weather. I carry a lot of water and use a brolly in those conditions. I experience much rain and cold weather here in Ireland that I enjoy the opportunity of a spell of real warm weather for a change.

I will try and pick up that guide from the association if I do the walk. I like the idea of using AirBandB for accommodation as an option. Never used them in Spain before. I have read you account of your Sureste experience last year. Really informative and greatly appreciated. I tried to upload your spreadsheet holding accommodation details but can't access it! Have you taken it down or is it a problem at my end? It would be a very useful resource.

Many thanks again.

Three of us walked part of the Camino de Levante in late 2013. We started In Avila and detoured onto the Sureste for the final "run" into Santiago. I see that we finished in late September. Not many walkers, and clear days. In Galicia of course a few drizzly days. No really cold days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mike. Thanks for your response. Yeah it's a balancing act for me with regards my starting date and the expected temperature. Last year leaving Seville in late August it was 40+C and the first couple of weeks were hot but I excepted that, but it gives me a better chance of decent weather up north. It's a chance you take as you can never fully predict the weather. I carry a lot of water and use a brolly in those conditions. I experience much rain and cold weather here in Ireland that I enjoy the opportunity of a spell of real warm weather for a change.

I will try and pick up that guide from the association if I do the walk. I like the idea of using AirBandB for accommodation as an option. Never used them in Spain before. I have read you account of your Sureste experience last year. Really informative and greatly appreciated. I tried to upload your spreadsheet holding accommodation details but can't access it! Have you taken it down or is it a problem at my end? It would be a very useful resource.

Many thanks again.
Sorry, but I think I deleted the spreadsheet some time ago. To be frank I hardly used it as in the end the guide from Amigos de Santiago en Alicante was much more comprehensive.

Thanks Bob for your response.

No problem Mike. I will do my best to pick up the guide in Alicante if I take on the Sureste!
Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year I left Seville on the 23rd August following the VDLP and then the Sanabres to Santiago. It took me 35days. While the first few weeks were extremely hot I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I know a lot on the forum would not consider doing the VDLP at that time of year but I would see it as one of the best times if you are properly prepared, sensible with hydration and keep within your limits. I had no rain any day on that camino (life is so much easier when it is dry!). The small number of pilgrims, especially at that time of year, was a big plus for me.

I am now seriously considering the Sureste this year for similar reasons. My intention would be to stick roughly to the same time frame, leaving Alicante around last week of August and arriving in Santiago first week October. I still haven't fully decided the entire route yet but am leaning towards Astorga from Benavente to Ponferrada and then on to the Camino Invierno, as I did the Sanabres last year.

I am interested to know if anyone is planning on doing the Camino del Sureste this year around that time and/or general thoughts/suggestions. I have the 2017 Pilgrim Guide by Lewis Roxby Maris and use mainly OsmAndMaps on my iPhone for directions.

We start on the 5e september to walk the camino del Sureste. I ordered a little guide by the Confraternity of St James in the Uk. (11 euro). Very good information of the stages in this guide.

Hi Chrisje.
Thanks for your post. The guide you mention is it by Lewis Roxby Mairis? If it is then it's the one I have.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes indeed. We also will try by the Ass. del Peregrinos in Alicante to become some maps.
Buen Camino Joe

The guide from the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante is excellent and very up to date. It has all the necessary info. Its in Spanish but as an english reader with only a little spanish it was very easy to get the important info and the maps are really good.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The guide from the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante is excellent and very up to date. It has all the necessary info wSpanish but as an english reader with only a little spanish it was very easy to get the important info and the maps are really good.

Thanks Mike and Chrisje. Will definitely try and pick up the guide from the Amigos de Santiago. Is it open on a Wednesday as it will be the only day I would be able to go there as I arrive late on the Tuesday and intend to start walking early Thursday morning 23rd August?

Buen Camino Chrisje

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You too Joe. Looking forward for this camino !
Buen camino !

From memory they are supposed to be open on Thurs but I found them also open on the Tues so worth checking!

Cheers MikeJS.

If they are not open on the Wednesday then it's unlikely I will get one as I intent to pull out very early on the Thursday morning!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Halo Joe, they are open on tuesday from 17u00 till 19u30 and on friday from 10u00 till 13u00. (From 1/6 till 31/8) Tel 0034/965 926 623.

Thanks Chrisje for the opening times. Looks like I'm not going to be able to get one from them at their centre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks MikeJS. Will email them.

Hi Joe,
I’m hoping to walk from Seville from the last week in August. Im nervous I will find the heat too much.
At what time of day do the temperatures reach the max ? Did u start early in the day , what time does it get light ?
All the best,
John Sheridan (fair skinned Irish man !)

About the Sureste: I spent one day walking out of Alicante following the markings. They were very good. Just pay attention: The locals mostly do not know there is a Camino there, so you're on your own :). The office of the Amigos is just on the way out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Bunclody1,
I normally started around 7am most mornings for the first few weeks. Daybreak is about 7 30am at that time of year so a head touch is often necessary. I tried to reach the end of each stage by 2pm at the latest as temperatures were up in the high 30s at that stage and often even higher in the later part of the afternoon. I used a hiking brolly that I found invaluable for shade that can lower the temperature by up to 5C. I, like yourself, would be reasonably fair skinned and used high protection sunblock on exposed areas most of the time. A light long sleeve top is useful. I really enjoyed my experience and would recommend that time of year for the camino as it eliminates any water crossing issues and life is just much easier when the sun shines I feel. It is vital to have at least 3 litres of water on board each day as there is often no means of replenishing supplies on route in some cases. A sensible well planned approach at the start of each stage will ensure you should fully enjoy the experience. Go for it John.
Buen camino.

Hi alexwalker,

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I am fully signed up for this camino, flights all booked and can't wait. Just much prefer the less travel road!

It is certainly a less travelled road - when I walked it last year I only saw 2 other hikers along all of the Sureste and that was near the end! As for temperatures, in Aug it will be very hot - probably high 30s at least.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Bunclody1,
I normally started around 7am most mornings for the first few weeks. Daybreak is about 7 30am at that time of year so a head touch is often necessary. I tried to reach the end of each stage by 2pm at the latest as temperatures were up in the high 30s at that stage and often even higher in the later part of the afternoon. I used a hiking brolly that I found invaluable for shade that can lower the temperature by up to 5C. I, like yourself, would be reasonably fair skinned and used high protection sunblock on exposed areas most of the time. A light long sleeve top is useful. I really enjoyed my experience and would recommend that time of year for the camino as it eliminates any water crossing issues and life is just much easier when the sun shines I feel. It is vital to have at least 3 litres of water on board each day as there is often no means of replenishing supplies on route in some cases. A sensible well planned approach at the start of each stage will ensure you should fully enjoy the experience. Go for it John.
Buen camino.

Halo Joe, did you used a normal brolly or UV brolly ?

Hi Chrisje,
I use a Euroschirm silver trek brolly. Find it a really good piece of kit especially for sun protection and temperature control but also great for intermittent showers where it saves having to put rain gear on. I attach it to my backpack using a couple of ties so I'm hands free to use my walking poles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Chrisje,
I use a Euroschirm silver trek brolly. Find it a really good piece of kit especially for sun protection and temperature control but also great for intermittent showers where it saves having to put rain gear on. I attach it to my backpack using a couple of ties so I'm hands free to use my walking poles.

Thanks Joe, I have one that I can attach to my bacpack but is not sun protection. Perhaps I look for the silver brolly !

Flying out to Alicante today to begin my Sureste. Hope to start walking very early Thursday morning 23rd to Novelda. My intention is to head up to Astorga and then follow the Invierno and eventually on to Santiago!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Flying out to Alicante today to begin my Sureste. Hope to start walking very early Thursday morning 23rd to Novelda. My intention is to head up to Astorga and then follow the Invierno and eventually on to Santiago!

Buen camino Joe, we start the 6th september.
Have a great time !

€46,-
Buen camino, If you are lonely, remember you can always report back to the forum and its armchair peregrino wannabes, who will enjoy hearing how it’s going. :) I have walked the Levante, so some of this is familiar ground, but not all.

And btw, Joe, do you have the forum Invierno guide? I may be doing 2019 updates this fall rather than later in the year, and it would be great to have real time input. Any and all comments are welcome. Buen camino, Laurie

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/

Its the route I took last Apr. Hardly saw a soul until Astorga then saw more peringrinos in the 15 mins I had a coffee than since I left Alicante!

Left Alicante early Thursday morning 23/8/18. Stages so far :- Novelda, Villena, Yelca, Montealegro del Castillo, Petrola, Albeceta, La Roda, Minaya, El Provencio, Las Mesas. So 10 days walking and have been extremely impressed by the off road trails and lack of noise pollution. Think it’s been the best in that respect of all the camino I’ve done to date. Yes it’s been hot ( 30+) most of the time, but with sensible planning and provisions ( water, food, etc.) it has presented no real problems. I haven’t met another pilgrim along the road so far. Great support from all the locals. Can’t speak highly enough of this camino if you can manage distance and want the real spanish culture. Looking forward to more. Thank you all for your best wishes and guidance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Left Alicante early Thursday morning 23/8/18. Stages so far :- Novelda, Villena, Yelca, Montealegro del Castillo, Petrola, Albeceta, La Roda, Minaya, El Provencio, Las Mesas. So 10 days walking and have been extremely impressed by the off road trails and lack of noise pollution. Think it’s been the best in that respect of all the camino I’ve done to date. Yes it’s been hot ( 30+) most of the time, but with sensible planning and provisions ( water, food, etc.) it has presented no real problems. I haven’t met another pilgrim along the road so far. Great support from all the locals. Can’t speak highly enough of this camino if you can manage distance and want the real spanish culture. Looking forward to more. Thank you all for your best wishes and guidance.
Well done, glad you are enjoying it :) Keep us posted please as it is one Camino I really want to do...

Nice to hear it Joe, we start 6 sept. Do we need a sleeping bag ? We just packed a thermolite liner. Buen camino !

Hey, Joe!

Enjoy to the fullest. These are really nice parts of Spain you'll be walking through. I did Levante and in parts the two routes overlapping so I kinda know what you are talking about ;)

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry for the lack of response and updates. I’ve just arrived in La Baneza from Benavente today as I head up to Astorga to join the French Camino for a short spell to Ponferrda before doing the Invierno. Since leaving Las Mesas on the 2nd September I’ve stayed in El Toboso, La Villa de Fon Fadrique, Templeque, Mora, Toledo, Noves, Cadalso de Los Vidrios, San Bartolomé, Ávila, Gotarrendura, Arevalo, Medina del Campo, Tordesillas, Mota del Marques, Villapando, Benavente. It’s been a truely wonderful experience with great trails and almost no road walking. Special mention to Juan in Villa de Don Fadrique and Antonio in Medina del Campo for these welcome, support and enthusiasm. Special people who give and add so much to the camino experience. I haven’t met another pilgrim since leaving Alicante. I know I’m in for a culture shock when I hit Astorga tomorrow! Anyone who want space and beautiful varied off road trails and can handle longer distances between services this is the camino for you.

Thank you very much for the update! This Camino is on my list :)
Buen....continuación!

It looks great !! We must stop due to illness of my husband but next year we continue this camino. Enjoy and buen camino !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone. Just arrived in Ponferrada today from Rabanal. Starting the Invierno in the morning. Btw anyone looking to stay in Rabanal and looking a quiet restful place I can recommend ‘The Stone Boat’ run by Kim. She has just opened it and her attention to detail and service is second to none! Only three rooms but quality!

Thanks everyone. Just arrived in Ponferrada today from Rabanal. Starting the Invierno in the morning. Btw anyone looking to stay in Rabanal and looking a quiet restful place I can recommend ‘The Stone Boat’ run by Kim. She has just opened it and her attention to detail and service is second to none! Only three rooms but quality!
Buen CdI, Joe!

Once again thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I appreciated all advice and best wishes. To finish off I just want to reiterate that this camino has been absolutely fabulous and is without doubt one that many should consider if off-road long quiet stages are what they like. I may even do it again sometime! My Invierno experience that follows I will present in a new thread in the Invierno Forum. Buen camino everyone

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once again thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I appreciated all advice and best wishes. To finish off I just want to reiterate that this camino has been absolutely fabulous and is without doubt one that many should consider if off-road long quiet stages are what they like. I may even do it again sometime! My Invierno experience that follows I will present in a new thread in the Invierno Forum. Buen camino everyone
Hi, Joe,

If you are so fond of Sureste maybe next time pick up Levante. Many stages overlapping but you can still see new places. And Levante ends in Zamora where you can turn left on VdlP Portugues through Braganca because I see you already walked Sanabres.

I am contemplating doing the Sureste or La Lana in early September - is anybody else thinking of doing either of these caminos around that time.

Hi Marilyn,

I am flying out to Valencia on the 20th August and hope to start walking the Requena on the 22nd. This will join the Lana which I will then follow to Burgos. I hope to then walk to Leon on the FC and then take the Salvador and Primitivo to Santiago. I really enjoyed the Sureste last year btw!

Hi Marilyn,

I am flying out to Valencia on the 20th August and hope to start walking the Requena on the 22nd. This will join the Lana which I will then follow to Burgos. I hope to then walk to Leon on the FC and then take the Salvador and Primitivo to Santiago. I really enjoyed the Sureste last year btw!
Hi Joe - thanks for the input - I think you will be way ahead of me - this looks like a great camino as well. I have been looking for an english guide to the Sureste but cannot find anything. Did you just wing it - I don't mind some long stretches but certainly do not want to put in too long days and would like to get to Benevente or Zamora- I only have about 28 days to walk - and then train back to Madrid. Happy planning and buen camino.

Hi Marilyn,

I used the Lewis Roxby Mairis Guide 'Camino del Sureste' that I obtained from The Confraternity of Saint James ( A UK-based charity) - online shop www.csj.org.uk/shop

It is rather wordy but gives you all the relevant information you would need. Not too bulky either!
I left Alicante on the 23rd August last year and arrived in Benevente on the 17th September (26 days walking and no rest days). A few 40km shifts but the majority were around 30km. It was a wonderful camino. Very hot at the start but I expected that as it was still late August. Wish you well.

Buen camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back