• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Surgical Update - Heelsperricus at it again!!!!

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello to all and hope everyone is well. My new Avitar..comes from my trip to Germany (other side of the Rhine looking at Dusseldorf) over this past Christmas. Not much hiking but I did do some long camino-like walks when the weather cooperated.

I thought I would provide an update especially because there are so many people with simular issues. Mine is a severe case so Maybe some people may not have extreme foot pain to the degree to which mine has progressed but I thought the info might be useful just the same. No camino for me in 2020 that is for sure and I of course will update you all on those many days with my foot iced and up in the air😉

Moderators —feel free to edit anything here ..😊 Or move to the proper place!

Surgery #2 scheduled in 2 weeks Mid June. Right foot Plantar Facia Release bone spur removal. A more invasive more painful and Longer recovery period. This time the bone spur will be shaved down under my heel on the foot bottom Due to continued pain and difficulty walking daily... Link below only for those interested —-Not for the faint of heart
Warning graphic Surgical video!!!

History of treatment:
Surgery #1 in mid January was a Endoscopic Plantar Faciaotomy In which they cut the tendons . This went well and it is not often that they need to shave the bone...I guess I must be the exception Because heelspurricus persisted ...I am often a trailblazer 😃

Pre surgical Injections. All of 2019 Include all manner of injections from cortisone to Plasma. Several !!!!!

Previous thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-this-thread-to-my-updated-foot-issues.66088/

Remember that your feet will carry you far but only if you take care of them ! This is your instrument care for it and it will take you places you have never been!!
Buen Camino To all !!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All the best to you, Iriebabel. Good luck with the operation, hopefully you will be up and walking after your recovery period.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello to all and hope everyone is well. My new Avitar..comes from my trip to Germany (other side of the Rhine looking at Dusseldorf) over this past Christmas. Not much hiking but I did do some long camino-like walks when the weather cooperated.

I thought I would provide an update especially because there are so many people with simular issues. Mine is a severe case so Maybe some people may not have extreme foot pain to the degree to which mine has progressed but I thought the info might be useful just the same. No camino for me in 2020 that is for sure and I of course will update you all on those many days with my foot iced and up in the air😉

Moderators —feel free to edit anything here ..😊 Or move to the proper place!

Surgery #2 scheduled in 2 weeks Mid June. Right foot Plantar Facia Release bone spur removal. A more invasive more painful and Longer recovery period. This time the bone spur will be shaved down under my heel on the foot bottom Due to continued pain and difficulty walking daily... Link below only for those interested —-Not for the faint of heart
Warning graphic Surgical video!!!

History of treatment:
Surgery #1 in mid January was a Endoscopic Plantar Faciaotomy In which they cut the tendons . This went well and it is not often that they need to shave the bone...I guess I must be the exception Because heelspurricus persisted ...I am often a trailblazer 😃

Pre surgical Injections. All of 2019 Include all manner of injections from cortisone to Plasma. Several !!!!!

Previous thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-this-thread-to-my-updated-foot-issues.66088/

Remember that your feet will carry you far but only if you take care of them ! This is your instrument care for it and it will take you places you have never been!!
Buen Camino To all !!!
So sorry to hear you need a 2nd surgery. I also will not watch the video. I wonder if they should have done the shaving of the bone spur originally since they were already "in there". Such a shame they have to go back in. Please keep us posted.

@Iriebabel, I will not look at the video, all I want to say is how much I admire you for your ability to keep the bright side out. Thank you.
the video is only for those with the cast iron stomach 🤪

Thank you 🙏for your kind words. I do try my best to look for that illusive siver lining. whats the song..... “ always look on the bright side of life”. what else is there? the sadness was not working so I made a positive choice !!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So sorry to hear you need a 2nd surgery. I also will not watch the video. I wonder if they should have done the shaving of the bone spur originally since they were already "in there". Such a shame they have to go back in. Please keep us posted.
Thanks Chrissy 🙏

The shaving is not normally done. it is most panful, simular to what they did in my left knee.
some recover with injections and some people recover with the release of the plantar facia ..
in this I must be exceptional 😉😃!!!

that heelsperricus is very persistant and stubborn but to be honest I think my issues have a lot to do with my military injuries ...just a continuation maybe.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Chrissy 🙏

The shaving is not normally done. it is most panful, simular to what they did in my left knee.
some recover with injections and some people recover with the release of the plantar facia ..
in this I must be exceptional 😉😃!!!

that heelsperricus is very persistant and stubborn but to be honest I think my issues have a lot to do with my military injuries ...just a continuation maybe.
I will say that if you can not walk a camino this year because of your upcoming surgery, this is certainly the year to give the camino a "miss". I hope you are able to take care of your lovely garden flowers.🌸🌼🌹🌻

I will say that if you can not walk a camino this year because of your upcoming surgery, this is certainly the year to give the camino a "miss". I hope you are able to take care of your lovely garden flowers.🌸🌼🌹🌻
Well no rest for the crazy...I am getting fat from COVID Isolation and Heelspericus so I found a Non weight bearing remedy for post surgical recovery ...no more excuses !!!! Im in training for the next 😁🤪 camino

the flowers will have to wait unfortunately but they will be ok ..the Gardner’s will do minimal care

“this is certainly the year to give the camino a "miss".I knew that there was a positive to this COVID thing
60433854-65DA-4011-B521-7CB98441BE05.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Iriebabel
So sorry to hear of your problem - feet are so important !
Have you looked into using the Feldenkrais Method ? It helps by addressing the habitual underlying movement patterns that contribute to the tendency to plantar fasciitis/bone spurs. In my experience problems tend to repeat if you don't address the underlying reasons. I've had plantar fasciitis and I know how painful and difficult to resolve it can be

I am afraid that I will need the same surgery, but I will not look at the video until I will have to. It's been at least 6 months with almost no change in degree of pain. Honestly my feet had been neglected parts of my body until it started hurt a lot. Then I realize how complicated the structure is with 26 bones in each foot. Anyway, I am hoping my body heals itself as time passes to the point I can walk 25km a day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good luck with your procedure. I have been plagued with foot problems from overuse. I have had bone spurs, neuromas, plantar fasciitis, broken metatarsals, and compartment syndrome from a broken tibia. So I feel your pain and wish you well on your future adventures on foot. Feet are important.

My podiatrist suggests that the I should consider becoming a Certified Public Accountant to solve my foot problems.

Hi Iriebabel
So sorry to hear of your problem - feet are so important !
Have you looked into using the Feldenkrais Method ? It helps by addressing the habitual underlying movement patterns that contribute to the tendency to plantar fasciitis/bone spurs. In my experience problems tend to repeat if you don't address the underlying reasons. I've had plantar fasciitis and I know how painful and difficult to resolve it can be
Sorry I am late in replying
I have other medical issues as a result from military injury which causes complications all over. I have had to be my own advocate for as you say “problems tend to repeaT if you dont address the underlying reason”. After much time this second surgery was a last resort. I hope for the best and will walk again and yes of course with cyborg turtle modification😁

Last edited:
I am afraid that I will need the same surgery, but I will not look at the video until I will have to. It's been at least 6 months with almost no change in degree of pain. Honestly my feet had been neglected parts of my body until it started hurt a lot. Then I realize how complicated the structure is with 26 bones in each foot. Anyway, I am hoping my body heals itself as time passes to the point I can walk 25km a day.
Sorry for the late reply. I wish you the best. Yes always best to take care of your feet. Hopefullly at the most you will only need the plantar surgery ...the heel spur removal is a last resort. If you neglect the feet too long they will bite back.
After walking 2 Camino (norte and frances) with this and other problems it’s important to take this step for me or i would not be able to walk any distance without pain

Best of luck to you

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi all. Latest update

my surgery is in just a few days (this coming tuesday)
I have the official name: Right heel Calcaneal Ostectomy ...
looks like no weight bearing (walking) for Up to 12 weeks. Probably with gradual Increases in use with the aid of physical therapy. Thanks for all your support. I will keep you updated.

Last edited:
Good luck with your procedure. I have been plagued with foot problems from overuse. I have had bone spurs, neuromas, plantar fasciitis, broken metatarsals, and compartment syndrome from a broken tibia. So I feel your pain and wish you well on your future adventures on foot. Feet are important.

My podiatrist suggests that the I should consider becoming a Certified Public Accountant to solve my foot problems.
Thank you so much. This just gives me more strength And encouragement to walk again. I like your podiatrist - good sense of humor.

Indeed feet are most important but often ignored! Heelspurricus knows he has my full attention 😄

Hello all.
Surgery yesterday. Op time 45 minutes to remove the bone spur and align my heel
At home Recovering : Right heel Calcaneal Ostectomy ...
I have many allergies to drugs so refused the use of any pain pills -Don’t need it!!!! No problems Follow up appointment tomorrow. Only medication given is an antibiotic to prevent infection

Some might wonder how was surgery during COVID-19 pandemic Times
I was not worried because I knew medical Professionals want to keep themselves and the patients safe. Procedures in place:
**Temperature check and virus questionnaire Before entering the building; nurse outside to check patient ID
**Patient in mask, not removed until inside the operating room replaced by surgical breathing machine mask
** family member not allowed to enter the building
** In the surgery center I was the only patient in the wait area, check in, review paperwork and Only patient in
the surgery area. After surgery recovery I was the only patient
**next patient was in the Operating room while I was in the rocovery area- less than an hour
** In surgery area and OR minimal staff. Surgeon , anesthetist , nurse....

TIMELINE:1pm check in 1:30pm to surgery room for IV and paperwork; 2pm operation; 3:30pm out the door Into my car

TODAY
I am doing ok and slept ok with very little to no pain. due to my action in the picture below.
Night time this is the set up...surgical leg above the heart equals less swelling and little to no pain.
RICE= Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
494BC707-8B27-4E29-A5DB-F6D7E8453E41.jpeg
Daytime : cryocuff provides continuous ice (Water flow ) - my leg lower than the cryocuff cooler for optimal cold water flow. After a time the water gets warm. To recirculate The cold water I place the cuff higher than the cooler to empty the cuff .. then put it back on allowing cold water to flow again into the cuff. Better than any ice pack When living alone and no help I avoid getting up often To put the ice pack in the freezer refreezing to use again. Thank you 🙏 all in advance for your thoughts and prayers and I promise to keep you updated.

513111DE-9ABD-415B-8751-85725EA5D2A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So glad that there's hardly any pain!
May that be so when you heal enough to walk, as well - I hope you heal quickly and you're on your feet asap!
You're an inspiragion @Iriebabel ... you have so much courage and strength of heart.
Thank you So much ..I am felling blessed and doing well ! Best wishes to you and those you hold close.
Must keep going...only way I will get someplace 😃 have feet must walk !!!😁

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your spirits seem good, and the technical explanations were interesting. Best wishes!
Thanks...I try hard to maintain a positive spirit despite injury.
I’m happy to share with others I hope my explanation and experience can be helpful .😃

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Update today. All is well, just home from the post surgery follow up-
He said they removed a large piece of bone during surgery and everything looks Good so far.

in case you are wondering what plantar fasciatis with calcaneal spur (heelspur or talon espalon) looks like here is a X-ray from the web (Similar but not mine) You can see why walking on this would hurt . I look forward to walking again 😃
32FE7918-D15F-40A1-9BDD-80C0FBDDFBDF.jpeg

hello all. I hope Camino dreams are swimming in your heads.😃

Just back from the Podiatrist. All is going well since surgery one 23 June and 6 stitches are finally out. Upgraded to a band aid.
Still not allowed to walk without the use of the crutches but slowly and surely it will happen soon enough.

I must confess I was excited when he said I can finally get a proper shower 🛀 😍I was in love at this point !!!
Even more important I can finally see the Happy possibility of another camino in my future...I hope for the best. 🚶‍♀️ 👣👣👣👣👣

Little to no pain becauseI keep the ice going and elevate my foot. Driving is a little difficult (it’s my right foot) but we do what we must😃. at least I get to stroll the market in the happy motor cart...Im a dangerous woman In this area (all bad stuff in this aisle yummmm. But sadly no ) im just following the directional arrow

😃 but dont worry The Motor shopping cart it’s slower than the giant snail 🐌 we see on camino early mornings . Happy Friday and wish everyone a wonderful weekend .

CCA7A7C7-1D13-4B81-BD24-EED61F0E66FD.jpeg🛀🛀

Last edited:

€46,-
I must confess I was excited when he said I can finally get a proper shower 🛀 😍I was in love at this point !!!
Even more important I can finally see the Happy possibility of another camino in my future...
Fantastic news!
Progress...and minimal pain.

Thanks for this, and for the chuckles. I well know how delicious that first shower feels.
Go well and keep well, peregrina! And happy planning, now you know you can....

@VNwalking 😁 already researching Japanese camino, Norway camino and possible the VDLP ..we shall see what 2021 has in store.

yes hardly no pain .. mind over matter I suppose.😛 the shower felt great 😁!!!! funny how the small things really matter.

happy planning to you too and keep well !! 🙂

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.