Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Surplus Gear

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
American Science and Surplus is one of my favorite sources for all sorts of travel supplies - tiny bottles, assorted storage bags, miscellaneous containers and all sorts of things you didn't know you needed!
Oh great - another website to drool over! 😄
(yes, it's pretty sad when I'd rather look at tiny containers than jewelry!)

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
F

Former member 31048

Oh great - another website to drool over! 😄
(yes, it's pretty sad when I'd rather look at tiny containers than jewelry!)
@ trecile. Your comment reminds me of a postcard I bought at a gite on the Le Puy Way (one in a series) - now framed - which says -

‘j'aurais jamais cru qu'un jour je m'occuperais plus de mes pieds que de ma frimousse,’

Rough translation

‘I never thought the day would come when I’d take more care of my feet than my face’.

Attachments

• 175564C4-BFEA-4394-9D43-C906F3E4B990.png
    175564C4-BFEA-4394-9D43-C906F3E4B990.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 31
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
@ trecile. Your comment reminds me of a postcard I bought at a gite on the Le Puy Way (one in a series) - now framed - which says -

‘j'aurais jamais cru qu'un jour je m'occuperais plus de mes pieds que de ma frimousse,’

Rough translation

‘I never thought the day would come when I’d take more care of my feet than my face’.
when you git to my age, it comes natural :)

samarkand

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
American Science and Surplus is one of my favorite sources for all sorts of travel supplies - tiny bottles, assorted storage bags, miscellaneous containers and all sorts of things you didn't know you needed!
An Aladdin's cave of curiosities! If only the postage from the US to the UK wasn't ten times the cost of the item!

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Past OR future Camino
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
Surveying the embarrassment of surplus gear in my house, I have to concede that if I didn't know I needed the stuff then, I almost certainly didn't and still don't!

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
My nephew introduced me to these, you cut the tops off of drinks bottles sand down the rough ends and superglue them together.
I have dozens now storing everything from harvested seeds to white glue.

View attachment 110254

Edit: see cola cap containers on how to make these.
I LOVE this idea. Fewer "things" that will eventually end up in a landfill!

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

Rough translation

In 2017, about 6 weeks before my Camino I walked into a glass wall while exiting a parking garage that was so clean that I didn't realize it wasn't simply an opening. The impact knocked me to the ground, stunned. As I was lying there in a crumpled heap I realized that my face had taken the brunt of the impact, and I was so relieved that it was only my face and not my legs!

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
My nephew introduced me to these, you cut the tops off of drinks bottles sand down the rough ends and superglue them together.

View attachment 110254

I love that YouTube channel! I normally don't like to watch many diy YouTube videos because they spend too much time on flashy intros and often use too many words to say too little. But this guy's videos are very well edited, and he explains things well in a calm manner.

Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I wish I had saved more 35mm film canisters.
You can buy them by the dozen on eBay - you can also get empty 35mm cassettes to reload if you buy your film in bulk. Who said analogue photography was dead?

The real holy grail is the screw top aluminium ones Kodak put out before the scourge of plastics!

Past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (Oct 2015), Camino Primitivo (Apr 2019)
The store is too far for me to buy from, but whoever is writing descriptions is doing an excellent job! Is it weird that I want to read every single one?

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (Oct 2015), Camino Primitivo (Apr 2019)
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Jewellery
Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
While on the topic of gizmos, a friend gifted me with a wonderfully useful one that could save my life one day -- an automobile emergency escape tool. It has a seat belt cutter and window glass breaker and it is inserted into the car's 12/24 volt auxiliary outlet. It is placed there not only so it can be found in an easy accessible spot but also to have its blue LEDs shine when the car's power is on to make itself even easier to find. Also to charge its battery which can be used as a detachable power bank or to power the flashlight that is part of it (high and medium power white and flashing red).

Somostel Automobile Emergency Escape Tool described on Amazon

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
While on the topic of gizmos, a friend gifted me with a wonderfully useful one that could save my life one day -- an automobile emergency escape tool. It has a seat belt cutter and window glass breaker and it is inserted into the car's 12/24 volt auxiliary outlet. It is placed there not only so it can be found in an easy accessible spot but also to have its blue LEDs shine when the car's power is on to make itself even easier to find. Also to charge its battery which can be used as a detachable power bank or to power the flashlight that is part of it (high and medium power white and flashing red).

Great info and help if driving, but I don't drive a vehicle on the Camino. 🙂

F

Former member 31048

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino

But is it small enough to fit inside a rice cooker?

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Jewellery

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
I sit down with a cup of tea when the new catalog arrives.
Wait - there's also an actual physical catalog?! I know what I want for Christmas! Just the catalog.

That does look great. I've added to my Amazon Christmas shopping list. Everyone is getting one in their stockings.

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés (2018), Camino Ingles (from La Coruña, 2019), Camino Portugues (2020)

domigee

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino

View attachment 110254

That is soooooo cool! I bought similar small containers from Boots for the Camino (for toothpaste or whatever) but this is recycling at its very best, so much better 😎
Now I know how I am going to spend those long Winter nights in England 👍😁

ess1113

Past OR future Camino
April 2016

Rough translation

My face is a lost cause but my feet can still take me places

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
That is soooooo cool! I bought similar small containers from Boots for the Camino (for toothpaste or whatever) but this is recycling at its very best, so much better 😎
Now I know how I am going to spend those long Winter nights in England 👍😁
There's a hack for smaller toothpaste tubes as well . . .
I never seem to be able to buy "travel sized" tubes of toothpaste any more and I don't always want to carry a 100ml tube with me on a short trip so was pleased when I came upon this video

Roman's reusable toothpaste tube

chinacat

Veteran Member

I’ve got an analogue one of those 😉

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances