Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Surprising background of the Alto del Perdon

Year of past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
On one of the first days of our Camino Frances walk, we come to the top of Alto del Perdon, with its windmills, and not least, metal sculptures of pilgrims. But what do these sculptures actually mean?

Here's an explanation:

And another (dark) feature also exists there, not known to many firsttimers (or "repeat offenders"):

Alto del Perdon is well worth a break and reflection, right at the start of your Camino. Hopefully, there are more reflective moments awaiting for you on your walk: Pay attention: The Camino is a personal learning curve, and the old saying "The Camino will give you what you need, not necessarily what you want"" still goes....

Last edited:
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Francés (1974 + others)
One can find a number of memorials to civil war victims on different caminos as well as the remnants of glorification of those who fought for Franco (although they are disappearing now - the first photo is in Azofra, the second in Villambistia - just after Tosantos).

Attachments

• 371.JPG
    371.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 457.JPG
    457.JPG
    753.9 KB · Views: 27
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
One can find a number of memorials to civil war victims on different caminos as well as the remnants of glorification of those who fought for Franco (although they are disappearing now - the first photo is in Azofra, the second in Villambistia - just after Tosantos).
Indeed. Also on the top of the hill after Villafranca Montes del Oca on the Camino Frances:

Just horrible.

But for now, it's about Alto del Perdon :)

Last edited:

Roland49

Did know that. I never read a guidebook before starting my CF in 2019. But I stumbled upon this explanation on a website as I was planning my CF.

Hope that I will make it there again.

BC
Roland

Juspassinthrough

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Inglés 2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Camino Aragonés (2023?)
On one of the first days of our Camino Frances walk, we come to the top of Alto del Perdon, with its windmills, and not least, metal sculptures of pilgrims. But what do these sculptures actually mean?

Here's an explanation:

And another (dark) feature also exists there, not known to many firsttimers (or "repeat offenders"):

Alto del Perdon is well worth a break and reflection, right at the start of your Camino. Hopefully, there are more reflective moments awaiting for you on your walk: Pay attention: The Camino is a personal learning curve, and the old saying "The Camino will give you what you need, not necessarily what you want"" still goes....
“Not necessarily what you want” , well said. Thanks for the continuing education.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?

Here's an explanation:

Thanks so much and the website is one that I wasn't aware of. I think this "new" website (for me at least) will keep me out of trouble for awhile. Thanks

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Indeed. Also on the top of the hill after Villafranca Montes del Oca on the Camino Frances:

Just horrible.

But for now, it's about Alto del Perdon :)
People's sympathies in Spain vary greatly about the War. It is a topic that I have great interest in as my Dad was in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in Spain fighting against Franco. I NEVER speak of it with Spaniards unless (it has only happened once), the person brings it up in conversation and makes it very clear where their sympathy lies.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!

Here's an explanation:

Thank you! I found this interesting!

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 57 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 206 15.2%
  • May