• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Surprising background of the Alto del Perdon

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
On one of the first days of our Camino Frances walk, we come to the top of Alto del Perdon, with its windmills, and not least, metal sculptures of pilgrims. But what do these sculptures actually mean?

Here's an explanation:

And another (dark) feature also exists there, not known to many firsttimers (or "repeat offenders"):

Alto del Perdon is well worth a break and reflection, right at the start of your Camino. Hopefully, there are more reflective moments awaiting for you on your walk: Pay attention: The Camino is a personal learning curve, and the old saying "The Camino will give you what you need, not necessarily what you want"" still goes....

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
One can find a number of memorials to civil war victims on different caminos as well as the remnants of glorification of those who fought for Franco (although they are disappearing now - the first photo is in Azofra, the second in Villambistia - just after Tosantos).

Attachments

• 371.JPG
    371.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • 457.JPG
    457.JPG
    753.9 KB · Views: 40
One can find a number of memorials to civil war victims on different caminos as well as the remnants of glorification of those who fought for Franco (although they are disappearing now - the first photo is in Azofra, the second in Villambistia - just after Tosantos).
Indeed. Also on the top of the hill after Villafranca Montes del Oca on the Camino Frances:

Just horrible.

But for now, it's about Alto del Perdon :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did know that. I never read a guidebook before starting my CF in 2019. But I stumbled upon this explanation on a website as I was planning my CF.

Hope that I will make it there again.

BC
Roland

On one of the first days of our Camino Frances walk, we come to the top of Alto del Perdon, with its windmills, and not least, metal sculptures of pilgrims. But what do these sculptures actually mean?

Here's an explanation:

And another (dark) feature also exists there, not known to many firsttimers (or "repeat offenders"):

Alto del Perdon is well worth a break and reflection, right at the start of your Camino. Hopefully, there are more reflective moments awaiting for you on your walk: Pay attention: The Camino is a personal learning curve, and the old saying "The Camino will give you what you need, not necessarily what you want"" still goes....
“Not necessarily what you want” , well said. Thanks for the continuing education.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Here's an explanation:

Thanks so much and the website is one that I wasn't aware of. I think this "new" website (for me at least) will keep me out of trouble for awhile. Thanks

Indeed. Also on the top of the hill after Villafranca Montes del Oca on the Camino Frances:

Just horrible.

But for now, it's about Alto del Perdon :)
People's sympathies in Spain vary greatly about the War. It is a topic that I have great interest in as my Dad was in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in Spain fighting against Franco. I NEVER speak of it with Spaniards unless (it has only happened once), the person brings it up in conversation and makes it very clear where their sympathy lies.

Here's an explanation:

Thank you! I found this interesting!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Here's an explanation:

Alex,
Here is more information
as of October 9, 2021, re the same horrific events/times but in another different location.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lo, though I want to share my experiences, I appreciate this is not the forum for talking about matters related to the Spanish Civil War. That's not a tease so much as plaintive recollection of my tangency with that period and what happened to me in 1975 in a remote corner of Cataluña. I paused at the monument on that hill Alex Walker mentions outside Villafranca Montes de Oca, sat at one of the picnic tables located there, and reflected at length on the horrors of war. All wars.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I appreciate your sentiment, Alwyn. Thank you for that. I can picture you sitting at that same table. We may yet meet at that bar/tavern/restaurant in Pictin just off to the right and slightly uphill as one gets off the ferry. Or you might come to Anacortes where we also have many ferries and where you would be most welcome. Happy New Year to you.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.