• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SURREY pilgrims, Woking, Guildford etc

gregdedman

Hi there all,

Im Greg and have recently completed my second Camino and have settled back here in Surrey.
The problem with returning to your native country, I find, is losing physical contact with those friends you made along the way and keeping those feelings of camaraderie, support, encouragement and being a part of something bigger becomes a little more challenging.

Im just putting the word out there to see if anyone in my area has walked the camino, any camino or indeed who are wanting to do so at some point.
If there is some interest maybe we can organise a get together, I know that the hollywood camino film 'The Way' is released next month so maybe an evening of vino tinto, tapas and a movie theatre could be on the cards? :)

Just pilgrims, being pilgrims for the evening.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Greg,

This is Eva from Sanderstead. I'm ready to set off on the 11th of May from SJPP to Santiago de Compostella. I'm hoping to complete this walk within four weeks.
I've got almost everything for the trip only the rucksack I couldn't decide yet, what size to buy. I would love to hear your advise on questions like do I need to book accommodation in advance as this time of the year I guess refugios are very busy, is it advisable to buy my pilgrim passport here in London or can get hold of one when I arrive on the 11th of May in SJPP which is on saturday and I wonder if the office is open at weekends...

Your advise will be appreciated! Eva :)

Hi Greg

Funnily enough the last few days I've been walking down your way - th eother day I walked from Guildford to West Byfleet along the river. The next day I walked from Guildford - Dorking along the pIlgrim Way onto the North Downs Way - the views were stunning.

Hi Eva

Your questions:

I've got almost everything for the trip only the rucksack I couldn't decide yet, what size to buy.
The answer is the smaller the better - i.e. the less stuff you take in your pack the easier the walking will be. There are other threads on this board where people recommend particular rucksacks

do I need to book accommodation in advance as this time of the year I guess refugios are very busy
If you are going to sleep in albergues and you are starting on 11th May - I think you will be fine. You are walking before the peack of the season in August - when even then people find beds. If you are worried when you start walking you can always book in advance then. Take an up to to date guidebook - I'd recommend the CSJ guide: http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... in_23.html

is it advisable to buy my pilgrim passport here in London or can get hold of one when I arrive on the 11th of May in SJPP which is on saturday and I wonder if the office is open at weekends...

There is no need to get a pilgrim passport before you arrive in StJdPP - the pilgrim office there is open at weekends and they will give you one.

Buen Camino

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Johnnie,

Oh you should have said earlier! I live in Send, the canal is just a stones throw from the canal.

Eva, what Johnnie said :)

Greg

I'm walking the Camino Ingles with a friend from 5th May before I head down to Valencia. The two Surry walks are ideal for him to do with a full rucksack so now I've scouted them out I'll be back down there before I go....come for a walk!

John

I'll be walking as much of the Pilgrims Way from Winchester to Canterbury as possible in a week from 8th May (two of us, camping) so we'll be coming through Surrey then

Andy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi John,

thank you for your kind respond to my questions. Eva :)

JohnnieWalker said:
Hi Greg

Funnily enough the last few days I've been walking down your way - th eother day I walked from Guildford to West Byfleet along the river. The next day I walked from Guildford - Dorking along the pIlgrim Way onto the North Downs Way - the views were stunning.

Hi Eva

Your questions:

I've got almost everything for the trip only the rucksack I couldn't decide yet, what size to buy.
The answer is the smaller the better - i.e. the less stuff you take in your pack the easier the walking will be. There are other threads on this board where people recommend particular rucksacks

do I need to book accommodation in advance as this time of the year I guess refugios are very busy
If you are going to sleep in albergues and you are starting on 11th May - I think you will be fine. You are walking before the peack of the season in August - when even then people find beds. If you are worried when you start walking you can always book in advance then. Take an up to to date guidebook - I'd recommend the CSJ guide: http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... in_23.html

is it advisable to buy my pilgrim passport here in London or can get hold of one when I arrive on the 11th of May in SJPP which is on saturday and I wonder if the office is open at weekends...

There is no need to get a pilgrim passport before you arrive in StJdPP - the pilgrim office there is open at weekends and they will give you one.

Buen Camino

John

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back