• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Survey about Camino de Santiago for my Bachelor's Thesis

peregrinoforlife

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés in 2016 & Camino Primitivo in 2019
Hi there!

Shortly:
I have walked the Camino twice and it was the most amazing experience in my life, so therefore I decided to write the bachelor's thesis about it and I need your help! I am kindly asking you for participation in my survey to have statistics. I need at least 100 responds to make my work trustworthy. It takes on average 4 minutes to answer all the questions!

Please take in mind that this survey is ONLY FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE DONE the Camino de Santiago!

Link to the survey

I encourage you to take part in the survey!
Thank you in advance!

Buen Camino!
Hubert

PS. This picture was taken this year on the Camino Primitivo! Enjoy
IMG_0248_edited.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Done.

Though I take it the questions are for the Camino Frances in particular? Because each camino/chemin etc in Europe will give different answers. So I answered as regarding the Camino Frances.

Good luck,
Davey
I assumed so too...he does say St James Way throughout the survey so I think it's a safe bet. All the best with your thesis Hubert!
👣 🌏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It takes on average 4 minutes to answer all the questions!
Really must've read too quickly, I'd say 2 minutes and I answered 3 as other that required additional time spent typing. 🤠

Done!

I have the following comments to some of the questions:

9: the extent to which the pilgrimage lets you know about the local culture?
I would say that it depends a lot on your own attitude and how good your Spanish is.

10: the prices of accommodation, gastronomy and other services on the Saint James Way
Very much up to your own choices and preferences.

11: the standard of accommodation, gastronomy and other services on the Saint James Way
Same as above.

17: Does the atmosphere here encourage you to make more pilgrimages in the future?
Where is ‘here’?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Done!

I would say that it depends a lot on your own attitude and how good your Spanish is.

10: the prices of accommodation, gastronomy and other services on the Saint James Way

11: the standard of accommodation, gastronomy and other services on the Saint James Way
Same as above.

17: Does the atmosphere here encourage you to make more pilgrimages in the future?
Where is ‘here’?
I think translation (or English is not the OP's native tongue) has played a part in some of the wording so a few assumptions have to be made. A fun exercise all the same & I'm sure Hubert won't have too much trouble finding the 100 respondents needed!
I found the age bracketing interesting; only one category covering 50+ years. Unless the demographic has changed since I walked the Frances in 2012 & the Portugues in 2015, I think there will be a whole heap of ticks in that box...myself included. 😄
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Hi there!

Shortly:
I have walked the Camino twice and it was the most amazing experience in my life, so therefore I decided to write the bachelor's thesis about it and I need your help! I am kindly asking you for participation in my survey to have statistics. I need at least 100 responds to make my work trustworthy. It takes on average 4 minutes to answer all the questions!

Please take in mind that this survey is ONLY FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE DONE the Camino de Santiago!

Link to the survey

Thank you in advance!

Buen Camino!
Hubert

View attachment 62422

Hi Hubert,

Good luck with your BSc thesis!

For your information, there is an ongoing research project on the effects that walking the Camino has on people. Although the focus of their study is mainly on both physical and mental aspects, you can have a look at their survey and maybe eventually get in touch with the PIs.

You can find more info here:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I included all routes. So when asked how many pilgrimages I had done I included pilgrimages on any route to Santiago. When asked how long I set aside, I used my most recent pligrimage (which happened to be on the Portugues from Porto). The hardest question to answer was the quality of accommodations and food on the route. That, of course, will depend entirely upon how much one is interested in paying.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Done!

Same as above.

Where is ‘here’?

Thank you for participation! You are right with you comments. About the 17. "Here = there on the Camino" It used to be a paper survey when I was asking people for participation next to the cathedral in Santiago, so then it made sense.

I think translation (or English is not the OP's native tongue) has played a part in some of the wording so a few assumptions have to be made. A fun exercise all the same & I'm sure Hubert won't have too much trouble finding the 100 respondents needed!
I found the age bracketing interesting; only one category covering 50+ years. Unless the demographic has changed since I walked the Frances in 2012 & the Portugues in 2015, I think there will be a whole heap of ticks in that box...myself included. 😄
👣 🌏
Hi,
Yeap, I am not native. About the age bracketing, now I know I could have add more option +60 or even +70..

Hi Hubert,

Good luck with your BSc thesis!

For your information, there is an ongoing research project on the effects that walking the Camino has on people. Although the focus of their study is mainly on both physical and mental aspects, you can have a look at their survey and maybe eventually get in touch with the PIs.

You can find more info here:
Thank you so much! I will take a look at it

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
as someone who has done research, residency, publications, I cannot envision the Masters thesis this questionnaire would be helpful to
It is so generic that data from it is not be likely to be helpful

And, as others have said, it leaves a lot to open interpretation to even the simplest question
like did you find help here- does that mean the forum, or what?
great photo by the way

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
as someone who has done research, residency, publications, I cannot envision the Masters thesis this questionnaire would be helpful to
It is so generic that data from it is not be likely to be helpful

And, as others have said, it leaves a lot to open interpretation to even the simplest question
like did you find help here- does that mean the forum, or what?
great photo by the way

As someone who has done reseaches before, you should have know that there are some "hidden" question that people answer, but make sense only/mostly to my. But of course some of them are just generic. :) One is sure - the phote is great! Thank you so so so much! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there!

Shortly:

Link to the survey

Thank you in advance!

Buen Camino!
Hubert

View attachment 62422
Hi Hubert,
Happy to participate however the question about attending mass regularly is a yes no. It doesn't allow for people of other faiths who pray regularly or attend a religious service from time to time.
Otherwise a good initial survey. Like others I would be interested in seeing the final results.

I cannot envision the Masters thesis this questionnaire would be helpful to
Well, it's not for a Master's thesis, which you'd have realized had you read the title and the thread.
Give @peregrinoforlife a break. It's not our job to grade his thesis - that's what they hire profs for.
But we can be helpful.

Done, with pleasure @peregrinoforlife

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always think that a limited pilot survey -a prestudy- should be recommended by advisors, so there is chance to correct ambiguous questions or missing options. Anyway, problems found can be good points to discuss in the introduction -this could make the narrative more interesting.
In #16, for example, a "socializing" option could have been a good idea.
"Attending Mass" probably could have been better solved with a "Always/frequently/sometimes/never" options.
I suppose you already noticed that forum members may not be a representative sampling of the universe under study.
Good research!

Hi there!

Shortly:

Link to the survey

Thank you in advance!

Buen Camino!
Hubert

View attachment 62422
Done! Good luck

Hi there!

Shortly:

Link to the survey

Thank you in advance!

Buen Camino!
Hubert

View attachment 62422
Hi:
Is this a survey for a tourism program? Just curious because of the type of questions that you asked, and some of the limitations of those questions (a sociology research project would typically require a consideration of more variables). I completed the survey, but I found that you are missing some crucial questions that will limit the validity of your findings. You need to ask when/the last time the respondent walked the Camino Frances (and you need to specify that you are asking about the Camino Frances, because there are many roads to Santiago). The temporal dimension is crucial because the CF has changed quite a lot in recent years. My experiences walking in 2007 and 2011 may be different than people experience now. Other potentially useful questions are: What time of year did you walk? and Did you set out alone or with others? Both are important variables that beg consideration, unless you seek very general findings. I hope that your thesis committee has approved your questions, because they will then share responsibility for any data limitations. Good luck!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Hubert,

done!
Note that this forum is heavily skewed in three ways: (1) English speakers; (2) committed multiple Camino-ers; (3) people with a positive experience of the Camino. You will not be able to get rid of this heavy slant, so you will have to specify in your thesis that you are researching this particular group. (You can minimise the English-speaker slant if you find a French-speaking and a Spanish-speaking site and translate your questionnaire into those languages as well)

Well, it's not for a Master's thesis, which you'd have realized had you read the title and the thread.
Give @peregrinoforlife a break. It's not our job to grade his thesis - that's what they hire profs for.
But we can be helpful.

Done, with pleasure @peregrinoforlife
AGREED this is a bachelors thesis
and yes my words were too blunt (a hangover from university days of over sighting residents etc)
my apologies to Perigrinoforlife
Sometimes a thought is better left unsaid. I forgot that

Thank you for your post, @Nanc . I am very happy to see this answer. I must admit that these messages were reverberating while I was walking el Camino. Never got to reply, though.

Sometimes a thought is better left unsaid. I forgot that

Sometimes, maybe. Some other times, maybe not. Let me think aloud and share my own contradictions with this all since I’m not sure whether this is the conclusion that I’d like to draw.

Certainly, the post was very specific, and it did not include any request for feedback. At that time, however, I felt that (in this particular scenario) one could genuinely try to offer some additional help (e.g. constructive feedback to reflect upon in the conclusions of the thesis, additional resources, etc). Retrospectively, I see now that sending a private message would have been more appropriate for that than an open message to the forum. And, most importantly, kindness should be a key aspect to any of such offerings. Far too often, very much so in scientific/academic settings, feedback is offered in most aggressive ways.

Whether any type of help (beyond the very request of the original post) is appropriate or not, I’m still in two minds ... All I can say is that I’m inclined to think that I would be grateful to receive constructive feedback (even when not requested) if it is kindly delivered. Surely, I need to be there before I know how it feels.

I hope that you, @peregrinoforlife , have found enough of the requested support and some useful comments/suggestions for your thesis report.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Done. Wishing you well. Please remember to come back with your results!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back