• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Survival/Med Kit

Pavona

Hello all!
I'm starting to put toegther my kit, and I know what I *want* to put in it, as I'm very much a thorough, worst-case scenario type planner.... but what *should* I put in it?? Clearly I've things on my list that might not be needed for the Camino Frances and would just weigh me down. I'm trying to "remove half" of my packing as is always advised. :lol:
I look forward to the suggestions/advice!

Thanks/Gracias/Grazie!
-Chris

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like you, I am perhaps overly conservative about what goes into my survival kit. Remember, though, that you are going through towns and villages every day, and you are not in some remote place without the prospect of re-supplying your first aid kit, so you really only need to carry enough potions, plasters and patches to last a day or so.

My medical kit on the Camino contained:
- prescribed medications with the scripts and letter from my doctor explaining what I was taking, how much and why.
- over the counter analgesic
- tube of iodine cream
- anti-fungal solution
- gastro-stop or similar
- rehydration salts (x4)
- blister patches, moleskin, micropore tape, adhesive plasters
- scissors, tweezers
- cotton buds (~6) and a couple of cotton balls in a small snap-lock bag
- alcohol swabs (~6)
- small crepe bandage

I toyed with carrying an antibiotic (I have done so in the past elsewhere in the world) as well as an anti-nausea drug, but in the end decided that If there were issues, I would be close enough to medical care not to have these on me.

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buy Compeed at the first farmacia you find when you arrive in Spain.
If you tend to get headaches, take a dozen aspirin.
That's it.
Everything you need, you'll find along the Way.

Your first aid/foot care kit should have the following:

Any meds you normally take.
Ibuprofen
A safety pin
Alcohol wipes
Mefix Tape (2 inches wide)
Compeed in different sizes
Moleskin (I prefer Molefoam)
Trauma shears (or other decent scissors)
Gloves
A small bottle of betadyne (or iodine) in a plastic bag (you really don't want that to leak!)
A couple small bandaids
Some 2X2 Gauze pads (optional)
If you are susceptible to tendonitis, some Kinesio tap is not a bad idea as long as you know how to use it. Ace wraps are also handy, 3 inch wide.

This is all you need for foot care. Everything else, you can find along the Way....PACK LIGHT!!!!!

We take:

An antibiotic cream
Compeed in various sizes (not too many - can be replenished along the way)
Tape
Gauze pads
Alcohol wipes
AND:
Small gauge syringes (also called TB syringes) - if you have access to these, they are invaluable - after swiping the blister with an alcohol wipe, you insert the needle into the blister and withdraw the fluid - essentially flattening the blister. You can then inject betadine or some other agent and then dress the blister. It heals within 12 hours. That's my magic fix! As others have said, I also take copies of all of my prescriptions.

Everything else, including medication for headache, pain, inflammation, heartburn, nausea, diarrhea, can be obtained at farmacias along the way.

Buen pain-and-blister-free camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We take a small selection of sticking plasters, not Compeed; needle and thread; single card of diarrhea tablets, pack of rehydration salts; antiseptic cream (mini tube); and would take any prescription meds if needed. The other things might be needed when a farmacia is closed! but can easily be replaced if used.
If you decide on Compeed then make sure it stays on. If you can use waterproof plasters it probably will. If these fall off you within hours then Compeed may not stick either. However if you have never used it before be aware that if it does stick well you should not pull it off. :cry:

Chris:

I carry a leatherman wave (Swiss army knife type tool) and REI sells several very lightweight med-kits. Had everything you might need. I only used the ibuprofen but gave bandages, antiseptic, gauze, duct tape and lots of other stuff to other Pilgrims. The utility knife I carry on my belt and the med-kit weighs less than a pound. I would not hike without them.

Ultreya,
Joe

I'd suggest buying the really basic things like painkillers before you leave home. I thought the prices in the Farmacias were hugely inflated, but maybe I was just unlucky.

As you know, there's often a ridiculous amount of packaging around a few little tablets, so get rid of anything that doesn't compromise the product or leave you without instructions for use.

Compeed plasters just didn't stick to me at all. It may have been due to residue from Vaseline, although I'd washed my feet well before applying them. I met a few people who had a similar problem.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: compeed not sticking to skin

Washing does not remove all vaseline residue.Take some alcohol wipes, swab the area thoroughly and let dry completely before applying the compeed.

You can find small zip lock bags at drug stores...just big enough to fit a few pills in. I always carry a selection of meds with me because you don't want to have to go to the pharmacy if you are tired and sick...especially when you have vomiting and diarrhea. And sometimes, you may be staying in an alburge that is miles from the nearest pharmacy. I carry something for both of those, plus antacid, headache and pain meds, a small tube of antibiotic cream. I always carry something like meclizine. Even though it is usually used to prevent motion sickness, it is good for anti-nausea and can be used to help you sleep without too much side effect...you can always take half or a quarter of a pill if that suits you better.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.