• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suseya or Suseia??

Brendan@ProjectCamino

Share your Camino story with me!
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago 16
Santiago to Finesterre 17
SJPP to Sarria 17
Ourense to Santiago 18
Hi all,

Does anyone know what the correct spelling is??

Suseya or Suseia??

I have read it spelled both ways, so was hoping someone could help clear this up.

Also, does anyone know where in Santiago this picture was taken??

Ultreya-y-Suseya.jpg

Thanks,

Brendan.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the correct spelling
More seriously, it's like asking whether you spell a similar call in English like "heya" or "hey ya". Neither ultreia nur suseia are a word in any known language, and contrary to what one often reads, it's not even certain that it comes from Latin.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
More seriously, it's like asking whether you spell a similar call in English like "heya" or "hey ya". Neither ultreia nur suseia are a word in any known language, and contrary to what one often reads, it's not even certain that it comes from Latin.
Irony may be dead in the Forum ...

I'm not a native English speaker - we are talking about spelling in an English language context here, right? - but I thought the answer is obvious: in English, it's Xunta (de Galicia) and all the others are juntas. :)

Yes, if you say Junta can be Andalucia, Extremadura, Castilla León and Castilla-La Mancha but not Galicia that is Xunta.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Irony may be dead in the Forum ...
I did put a big smilie at the end of my reply.

Plus, I did actually get curious about it but that's just because I know from a previous life that it can be very important to native speaker minorities how certain names, words, place names are written/expressed in dominant languages. In this context, I once had to work through a whole night because I had no inkling beforehand of the amount of work waiting for me - and it did actually involve Spain. Maybe I've not yet shaken off this trauma :cool:.

Last edited:

€83,-
Hi all,

Does anyone know what the correct spelling is??

Suseya or Suseia??

I have read it spelled both ways, so was hoping someone could help clear this up.

Also, does anyone know where in Santiago this picture was taken??

View attachment 39110

Thanks,

Brendan.
Have seen both words spelt differently so guess either spelling is fine ie ultreia e suseia Who knows

Does anyone know what the correct spelling is?? Suseya or Suseia?? I have read it spelled both ways, so was hoping someone could help clear this up.

My first answer ("The correct spelling is "suseia"") wasn't complete, as I found out. There is no single spelling, but three different ones in the Codex Calixtinus (from ca.1140), where the words are originally taken from:
  • in book 1, chapter 26 it's suseia, ultreia
  • in the appendix 1 within the hymnus "Ad honorem regis summi it's E ultreia esus eia
  • in the appendix 2 within the chant "Dum pater familias" it's E ultreia, e suseia
So it's up to you which spelling you choose. The spelling with y instead of i is obviously a spanish variant.

Harald

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
three different ones in the Codex Calixtinus [...]
  • in book 1, chapter 26 it's suseia, ultreia
  • in the appendix 1 within the hymnus "Ad honorem regis summi it's E ultreia esus eia
  • in the appendix 2 within the chant "Dum pater familias" it's E ultreia, e suseia
Thanks, this is the first time that I see a direct reference to this second text position in the codex, ie the Ad honorem hymn! And I now see that it says "e ultreia esus eia decantemus iugiter" in the text of this hymn ... "e ultreia esus eia we sing forever". Makes me wonder whether the expression has any more significance than say "eia popeia" (I'm sure you'll get this, @HaraldS :)).

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.