• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suspicious suggestions at the Tourist Office?

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
Two separate pilgrims, neither of whom speak Spanish, were told at the Tourist Office in Santiago that it was "not worth catching the bus" to Fisterra but were given flyers from a particular trip offering tours to Fisterra and Muxia for 45 euros.
I shall say no more about this, but hope that this practice is nipped in the bud toute suite...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK I have to add to this as there is a (small but significant) piece of updating to do here. It turns out on further discussion that the office in question is the Santiago tourist offive on the same side as the Pilgrims' Office, not the Galicia one on the other side. This only makes me feel slightly better but I think there might be some difference here. Glad it isn´t the other office as I have always found the staff there to be very helpful indeed.
Caveat Emptor...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Our recent experience with both tourist offices was very different. The Galician office gave bus timetables without showing much interest in our plans, whilst the Sanatiago office provided the timetables and gave additional advice on getting to and from Finisterre and Muxia. We were going to walk from Muxia to Finisterre and did not have time to walk to the coast.
Laurie

Looks like it depends on who you talk with.

Oh dear. Draw your own conclusions. A pilgrim who admittedly arrived quite late in the day, went to the SANTIAGO Tourist Office three days ago and was told: " All the albergues are full". A nearby hotel was suggested and a reservation made immediately and a map produced. The cost was double what she would have paid at an albergue but she was too tired to question it.
She said the hotel was nice, but that is hardly the point.
OK. Even if it were true that there was no other space elsewhere (which I very much doubt), how would they know?
Has anyone else had this experience?
And it´s not even July yet.....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back