• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sweaty Feet!

Marlin

Need some help from others with really sweaty feet. Read lots and lots on this forum about using the system (boots, shoes, socks, Vaseline, etc) that works for you. I agree! I have historically very sweaty feet. Podiatrist even recommended using Right Guard Antiperspirant on my feet....ugh! I have historically hiked and backpacked with Polypro underliners and either cotton or wool oversocks depending on weather. Works most of the time. But when I get a hot spot, I stop and put moleskin on, but it wads up in about 5 minutes because my feet will sweat and it comes off. Duct Tape does the same thing, just falls off.

For those others out there with sweaty feet, how do you manage?? Better with Vaseline?? Better powders?? better with cement??

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you dry and clean your feet first, Compeed will stick to the hot spot! It has a killer adhesive, which causes some folks to avoid using it. It has wet wound technology, so absorbs moisture, then falls off naturally. With sweaty feet it may come off more frequently for you, but it will initially adhere very well (I think). Give it a try.

I've heard bamboo fiber socks wick sweat away the best. Makes sense to me. Also, I think your polypro might be the wrong sort of fiber for you...polyester doesn't wick sweat, just makes more. Bamboo or bamboo combo with Smartwool would be my 2 cents.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Put cheap sanitary pads in your boots, adhesive side sticking to the boots' insoles. The pads are designed to absorb moisture (expect to change them every 3 days walking). I found that Vaseline worked for people with dry, cracking skin but not well for those of us with sweaty feet. I wore sock liners and medium weight hiking socks, not heavy thick ones which might cause my feet to sweat more.

I tried moleskin, Compeed, band-aids, etc. on blisters and never did crack the code. By the time I thought I'd figured out what I would do for the next one, the blisters stopped coming and remained gone for the rest of the trip.

For me, smartest foot thing was tweaking my boot laces to make my wide foot comfortable in a regular width (although men's) boot, and those pads.

Good luck.

Kathy

I did the sanitary pad thing a few years ago when I had bad blisters and it worked beautifully. Now I just go barefoot (bring minimalist footwear as backup). No sweaty feet, no blisters. :) A word of advice...you have to start barefoot slowly and build up to longer distances....I hope to do a barefoot Camino blog soon.
Sue

I don't have sweaty feet nor did I get any blisters but I had someone tell me to put salt in the bottom your shoes! Makes sense; think what happens to salt on a humid day in the summer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Need some help from others with really sweaty feet. Read lots and lots on this forum about using the system (boots, shoes, socks, Vaseline, etc) that works for you. I agree! I have historically very sweaty feet. Podiatrist even recommended using Right Guard Antiperspirant on my feet....ugh! I have historically hiked and backpacked with Polypro underliners and either cotton or wool oversocks depending on weather. Works most of the time. But when I get a hot spot, I stop and put moleskin on, but it wads up in about 5 minutes because my feet will sweat and it comes off. Duct Tape does the same thing, just falls off.

For those others out there with sweaty feet, how do you manage?? Better with Vaseline?? Better powders?? better with cement??

This is also a BIG problem for me in warm weather, with normal boots my feet are sodden in 2 to 3 hours. Keeping my feet cool in sandals and shorts does make a big difference but there is little that works when the weather is hot. For a few years I used (very effectively) a soaking regime of very dilute formaldehyde that absolutely cleared the problem by stopping the sweat glands, dry feet, no blisters and socks that would last more than a week without rinsing, absolutely no odour. Sadly this treatment now has little to no effect and I don't wish to go overboard by extensive soaking with what is a serious poison.

I'll be very interested to know if there is any genuine method for handling this very debilitating problem.

I too suffer from sweaty and very HOT feet. I call this phenomenon "foot claustrophobia" or at times refer to this as simply "hot feet" I live in Minnesota, the ONLY time of year I don't suffer is Jan-Feb when the avg temperature is around zero F. In real life I wear flip flops every second I am not at work to keep my feet dry and cool, right up until there is a fine dusting of snow on the ground :) In the dead of winter I wear shoes that slide off, aka mules, and THIN socks otherwise my feet at a hot sweaty mess.

I too have wondered often at the multitude of posts about multiple layer socks, waterproof vs. breathable, vaseline, etc. I have found myself rather discouraged by this as my experience differs so much from others in this regard. How to deal with very hot sweaty and miserable feet on the Camino?

Well, I haven't walked it yet but I have been training with my Camino footwear and so far the system that works for me is outside the norm.

Boots vs shoes: Waterproof boots for me is closely akin to torture. I found a pair of solid hiking shoes called "ventilators" this is the most I can tolerate and even on long walks on hot days my feet stay dryer - not dry, but much dryer. Here is a link if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OP6022/?tag=casaivar02-20

Socks: I had purchased a high quality pair of midweight, padded smart wool hiking socks and Injinji liners - frequently recommended by others. I don't doubt this system works well for most but of course does not work for me at all. After about 30 min on the trail on a COOL day my feet were a hot sweaty mess! I have since changed to my blister resistant running socks. Very lightweight but they are a double layer so they rub on themselves not on your skin. This stopped the foot torture now I can walk several hours, no excessive sweating, no blisters.

Here is a link to the socks I use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O6XE8O/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have worn them for running for YEARS and swear by them but figured they would not hold up with hiking. I was wrong, they work splendidly for me. As a fellow foot sweater - you may want to think outside the box, try different products and stick with what works for you. The key is to train in them to confirm a system works for you.

As an earlier poster recommended you talk with a health professional - unless your doctor is an avid hiker and suffers from a similar hot foot problem, don't count on them being able to help you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try "gloves in a bottle" from Boots chemists. It won't stop your feet sweating but will stop you geting blisters.

Wayfarer isn't joking the stuff is brilliant I used it every day and lots my Camino family kept borrowing it from me each day as we walked. Really good advice wayfarer

I, too, suffer from the dreaded "sweaty feet" syndrome. I've walked three different camino paths in as many years, and have learned through trial and error what works best for me. Last year I hiked the Le Puy route and had the best success with the following routine: I use roll on creams (keeps my hands a bit cleaner) Compeed and Glide. I interchanged Soloman hiking shoes (not boots) and Teva sandals. I pack 3-4 pairs of hiking socks and wear one. I walk 4-5 miles, take a rest, dry my feet, apply cream, change socks, hang damp socks onto my back pack and continue on. The trick for me is to stop and change socks/shoes when I feel my feet starting to warm up . Yes, this is an inconvenience, but I've learned that my feet need to be happy all day and night.

I, too, suffer from the dreaded "sweaty feet" syndrome. I've walked three different camino paths in as many years, and have learned through trial and error what works best for me. Last year I hiked the Le Puy route and had the best success with the following routine: I use roll on creams (keeps my hands a bit cleaner) Compeed and Glide. I interchanged Soloman hiking shoes (not boots) and Teva sandals. I pack 3-4 pairs of hiking socks and wear one. I walk 4-5 miles, take a rest, dry my feet, apply cream, change socks, hang damp socks onto my back pack and continue on. The trick for me is to stop and change socks/shoes when I feel my feet starting to warm up . Yes, this is an inconvenience, but I've learned that my feet need to be happy all day and night.
Which Teva sandal do you recommend?

I get hot, sweaty, smelly, feet – I snore too – surprised I have any friends really :)

I live in my Keen Sandals all year round but in summer/on the camino I was walking in verra Teva sandals except when I was cold and the Keen’s came out. I use Lanacane anti chafing gel to prevent blisters.

I have a pair of sealskin socks that I wear if it’s raining but if it’s warm and wet I am better off just wearing my sandals. I have no idea how people do an August camino in boots, my feet would be so hot and sweaty that they would look like they had been sitting in a bath for 8 hours at the end of the day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I live in my Keen Sandals all year round but in summer/on the camino I was walking in verra Teva sandals except when I was cold and the Keen’s came out.I

The Verras are as open as my universals so perhaps I won't worry. I took my Keens last time and felt good about the closed toe. Unfortunately Keens are not giving me the arch support that they used to and the Tevas do, so I have converted.

Lots of thoughts, obviously see your doctor, etc etc etc

Stay away from boots, look to ultra-light / light trail shoes.

Look to some of the newest/highest tech footwear. Light hiking shoes and trail runners are evolving very quickly with lightweight and breathable materials. For the most part staying away from Goretex might serve you well but there may be some exceptions.

Look to lighter weight socks to go with the lightweight/breathable shoes.

Expect to spend a few bucks on the shoes, the newest/lightest/most breathable styles are not cheap, but might be an excellent investment.

You may find this very interesting, from Backpacker Magazine, their Editor's Choice award winner 2015, the video specifically talks about sweaty feet! => LaSportivia Synthesis is available in mens & womens: http://www.backpacker.com/gear/foot...editors-choice-la-sportiva-synthesis-mid-gtx/

Their 2014 Editors Choice winner was the Zamberlain 230 Crosser GTX, which is a light hiking boot. I would avoid the Goretex boot, but they make a NON-Goretex hiking shoe, the model number is the 129 Crosser. I personally own both the 230 light boot and the 129 light hiking shoe. If you are looking for a durable light hiking shoe with plenty of shock absorbtion and plenty of toe & foot protection, then seriously consider the 129 Crosser. Its light, and it breathes far better than the boot version . . . but not as light, and probably not as breathable, as the trail runner type shoes. It is available in both mens/womens versions.

I'm not overly fond of KEENs, but I have a couple pairs. I find them to be very stiff in the sole and my feet tire quickly when using them but perhaps some of their "hiking sandals" would be suitable, and clearly far more breathable than most any shoe. Teva and Chacos are alternate brands that have hiking sandals. I also have a pair of Tevas but don't have any experience with them on trails.

Last edited:
Which Teva sandal do you recommend?
Sandals are just like boots/shoes -- one needs to try a lot of different makes and styles on before you can commit. REI has been an incredible resource for me. The sales people are helpful, and I've been able to return shoes,boots, sandals after I get them home and realize that they aren't a perfect fit. One doesn't want to take advantage of their 100% guarantee, but they do stand behind their products.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.