Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

swimming gear

julija

hello to all!
we will start walking camino frances in august 2010 and we were wondering if there is any possibility for a relaxing swim after or during walking and does it have any sense to bring bathing suit or not.
any recomendation for swimming spots?
thank you in advance.
julija

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

keilnirby

A lot of towns and villages along the way have municipal pools. Many pilgrims don't realize this. Just ask someone in town if there is one and where it is.

I would definitely bring a bathing suit. Men might be better off bringing shorts that could be worn for both swimming and just lounging around -- a dual purpose for anything in your pack is a plus.

Neil

Time of past OR future Camino
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Do not ignore the refreshing possibilities of the Pisuerga, the Isla, or even the Canal de Castilla, although caution is always to be exercised while swimming in rivers. I have several times seen pilgrims swimming dressed informally, which is not illegal in Spain, but it is usally better to carry a swimsuit with one. I have had very pleasant swimming in the riparian pool in the middle of Molinaseca and quite enjoyed the cries of Es mucho fria señor, to which I replied, Es no fria por me: soy canadiense.

University and community pools are almost always open to pilgrims, and I note the kindness of the staff in Luquin who kept it open for us after their usual siesta closing time.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anybody know the phone number for the Pilgrim shop in Tricastella in Spain? I was charged twice for the same item. I bought a pair of shoes which cost 29.99. I was asked to tap my card twice...
Friends, My family of four has made it to Palas de Rei today and coming into town my wife slipped and sprained her ankle. She’s unable to finish. We’re considering sending our 17 and 16 year old...
At the entrance to El Burgo Ranero there is a lovely monumental cross, It bears this inscription: "A la memoria de los ninos." Anybody know the story behind that inscription?

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon