• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Swimming in the Sea at Finisterre

• Thread starter Deleted member 73892
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 73892

When there this week, I asked a local man for the best way to the west beach. He reacted strongly by telling me not to swim there, that the currents are particularly dangerous and that a young man was recently drowned there, and the fishermen will tell you the same. The currents are dangerous on all sides of the town. They know their waters and sea better than anyone. So take heed and enjoy the view and a knee-deep paddle at the most. A young pilgrim told me they were going to go and swim there, so I passed on the warning. Please do the same. The beach is fantastic for sun bathing, the view and a picnic. Enjoy.
Buen Camino. Keith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There’s also a fairly large sign there saying the same thing IN ENGLISH! Sadly, folks tend to not believe in it. The crescent beach on the protected eastern side of the cape is excellent for swimming, though.

Sorry, sun-and-surf fans! I saw some darn nasty stuff dumped into the sea while living aboard US Navy warships in both the Atlantic and the Med back in the '70s, and having seen that I wouldn't recommend putting even your tiniest toe in the sea - anywhere. Wouldn't be prudent.

And be careful what seafood you eat, for that matter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There’s also a fairly large sign there saying the same thing IN ENGLISH! Sadly, folks tend to not believe in it. The crescent beach on the protected eastern side of the cape is excellent for swimming, though.
The eastern beach is lovely. My son swam there as I watched from the warm rocks in May, but the water was chilly.

Sorry, sun-and-surf fans! I saw some darn nasty stuff dumped into the sea while living aboard US Navy warships in both the Atlantic and the Med back in the '70s, and having seen that I wouldn't recommend putting even your tiniest toe in the sea - anywhere. Wouldn't be prudent.

And be careful what seafood you eat, for that matter.

When you know what prawns like to eat, it changes your outlook on seafood.

Happily old age and alcohol mean I forget these things after a few days, and I’m not dead yet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When there this week, I asked a local man for the best way to the west beach. He reacted strongly by telling me not to swim there, that the currents are particularly dangerous and that a young man was recently drowned there, and the fishermen will tell you the same. The currents are dangerous on all sides of the town. They know their waters and sea better than anyone. So take heed and enjoy the view and a knee-deep paddle at the most. A young pilgrim told me they were going to go and swim there, so I passed on the warning. Please do the same. The beach is fantastic for sun bathing, the view and a picnic. Enjoy.
Buen Camino. Keith

Good to know!

Even in Biarritz I never go deeper than my knees. Rip tides are unpredictable and unless you have first had knowledge about the idiosyncrasies of the beach don't risk an accident.

The eastern beach is lovely. My son swam there as I watched from the warm rocks in May, but the water was chilly.
Hi Chrissy - the man I spoke to was quite clear and adamant that ALL beaches, east and west, are dangerous. They have rip tides that are fierce and give you little chance. I would recommend that people ask locals about this before swimming, they know their tides and sea better than anyone. I took one look at the west beach waves and current and could see immediately that it was steep and dangerous, classic rip-tide conditions.
The sea is unforgiving and remorseless, powerful and seductive. Ask and heed the locals at all times.
Best wishes. Keith

€60,-
Hi Chrissy - the man I spoke to was quite clear and adamant that ALL beaches, east and west, are dangerous. They have rip tides that are fierce and give you little chance....
It depends on which eastern beaches ( and weather, time of the year, swimming skill,...)...
The eastern beaches near to the lighthouse are still dangerous, the sand beach in the 'north/east' of Fisterra is rather safe... at the beginning of September 2018 I saw many people who where swimming there...

(red: dangerous; green: ok)

finisterre_beaches.png

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It depends on which eastern beaches ( and weather, swimming skill,...)...
The eastern beaches near to the lighthouse are still dangerous, the sand beach in the 'north/east' of Fisterra is rather safe... in Septembe 2018 I saw many people who where swimming there...

View attachment 65683
That's a great map of the zones. The man I spoke to made it clear that the green zone referred to was also dangerous. Perhaps it was the time of year - tides, weather, general conditions (early October). But he was clear about it and seemed to know his stuff. The green zone must have been safe in September - I'm sure they would have warned people if it had been dangerous. Always good to ask and check.

Please, everyone, take heed of this warning. It was a young Irish pilgrim who drowned there in the past couple of weeks while I was in Santiago. I have been drawn into a rip tide while just standing on a beach in California and I am a strong swimmer! I was saved by a miracle (in the form of a brave Canadian "senior" hockey goalie) so it was not my time, but I am very cautious now. Enjoy and stay safe!

Please, everyone, take heed of this warning. It was a young Irish pilgrim who drowned there in the past couple of weeks while I was in Santiago. I have been drawn into a rip tide while just standing on a beach in California and I am a strong swimmer! I was saved by a miracle (in the form of a brave Canadian "senior" hockey goalie) so it was not my time, but I am very cautious now. Enjoy and stay safe!
Hi elleley - yes, not only must it have been a terrifying experience for you, but a miracle that you were saved. Rip tides and undercurrents are as good as invisible to everyone but those who live and work by their sea. I read only yesterday of a young english couple who were tragically taken by undercurrents in Portugal. You have no chance, normally. The man who saved you must be extraordinarily brave and strong, and such people are not always there to help. So I hope our fellow pilgrims heed your advice and that of knowledgable local people, and further tragedies can be avoided.
Best wishes. Keith
PS aren't the Salvador and Primitivo fantastic!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino. Keith

My wife and I were in Finisterre the night the Irish man was swept out. He too did not heed the warnings and paid the price with his life. I am dismayed how many people put their life at risk to take a better selfie or just think they are invincible.!i believe the Camino makes us better people ... but not necessarily smarter. Be safe and Buen Camino.

The area is called Costa da Morte (Coast of Death) for a reason. If the locals tell you not to swim, even is the "safe" beaches, the best thing you can do is follow their advice. They know better. There are certain times of the year when the tides are stronger than usual and even relatively calm and quiet beaches can get dangerous.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi elleley - yes, not only must it have been a terrifying experience for you, but a miracle that you were saved. Rip tides and undercurrents are as good as invisible to everyone but those who live and work by their sea. I read only yesterday of a young english couple who were tragically taken by undercurrents in Portugal. You have no chance, normally. The man who saved you must be extraordinarily brave and strong, and such people are not always there to help. So I hope our fellow pilgrims heed your advice and that of knowledgable local people, and further tragedies can be avoided.
Best wishes. Keith
PS aren't the Salvador and Primitivo fantastic!
Yes, Keith, I fell in love with Austurias!

The area is called Costa da Morte (Coast of Death) for a reason. If the locals tell you not to swim, even is the "safe" beaches, the best thing you can do is follow their advice. They know better. There are certain times of the year when the tides are stronger than usual and even relatively calm and quiet beaches can get dangerous.
Hola MariaSP - that seems to be quite appropriate, 'Coast of Death'. I'm sure it must also refer to the danger to boats and ships that rocky peninsular threatens. Sailors would certainly have to know the safe, deep channels through which to navigate, and where dangerous rocks are hidden too close to the surface. As you reiterate, local knowledge must never be ignored.
Gracias. Keith.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It depends on which eastern beaches ( and weather, time of the year, swimming skill,...)...
The eastern beaches near to the lighthouse are still dangerous, the sand beach in the 'north/east' of Fisterra is rather safe... at the beginning of September 2018 I saw many people who where swimming there...

View attachment 65683
I only had the opportunity to sleep on that beach! Next time I will swim!

I think the eastern beaches are quite safe. I´ve been swimming there several times without any problem. Have a look on the tidal calender (or ask a local) and avoid times when the tide goes out.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back