• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Swimming on the Via De La Plata

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Anyone who has walked with me knows I love swimming. Normally my verging on obsessive search for pools and swimming spots starts fairly early on each day, with enquiries made to farmers, bar owners, hospitaleros and even on occasion the police.

I am walking the Via De La Plata April into May, I know there are a number of French Way swimming threads, does anyone have any similar information for the Plata?

The public outdoor pools will probably not be open yet (Spanish people always tell me they open 'in summer' which usually means June- September). I am quite happy with anything I can get, indoor, outdoor or reasonably hygienic rivers and lakes. I do know there are hot springs at Baños de Montemayor which I am extremely excited about. I also know there are few reservoirs, but they can sometimes be unsafe to swim in.

Many thanks :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I do know there are hot springs at Baños de Montemayor which I am extremely excited about. I also know there are few reservoirs, but they can sometimes be unsafe to swim in.

Many thanks :D

There are also Roman baths in Aljucén (about half-way between Mérida and Alcuéscar), in a private house. You can't actually swim in them of course, just move between a hot pool, a lukewarm one and a cold one. It's lovely and you can book your 'slot' so you are on your own.
Otherwise I did see a municipal swimming pool as we passed by it (and it was very tempting!) but I can't remember the name of the place, sorry. Hopefully someone else will know :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are also hot springs near the lovely Visigothic church of Santa Lucía del Trampal (689AD), nor far off the camino near Alcuéscar. Also Roman baths in the river at Ourense.

At Baños de Montemayor, I was glad I sphent three hours doing the circuito Romano - very relaxing, and cleansing. You get quite a big discount if you show your credencial.

I also had a couple of refreshing dips in upland streams, once between Riolobos and Galisteo, and another time not far from La Calzada de Béjar. Quite chilly but it sounds as if you wouldn't mind that. I didn't fancy swimming in any of the reservoirs I passed (the Alcántara, in particular, had unappealingly rough steep sides when I was there in October/November, but is probably full now, so might be safer). There was a very nice looking beach on the Valparaiso reservoir near Mombuey, but there was a light dusting of snow when I was there last December, so I resisted the temptation to jump in.

@alansykes a man after my own heart! I got stared at for being the only person swimming in the sea in Malaga last Easter, it seemed pretty warm to me.

And I agree, reservoirs are off putting.
Have you ever seen the terrifying plug hole of Ladybower?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Plata now done, reporting back on swimming

Public pools in the south are a bummer, seeing as their opening season is mainly the school holidays when it's far too hot to walk on most of the Plata. Things look up on the Sanabres though. I'm not mentioning pools in big towns where there's obviously going to be a bog standard public pool, but it won't be nearby the camino, like Salamanca or Merida. Small villages it's always worth asking in my experience. Many have hidden treasures.

Seville
Has the Baños Arabe, but I didn't go as it was Fería.

El Zaguan de la Plata in Fuente de Cantos
Cute little pool in a garden with tortoises

Embalse de Proserpina
Famous rustic Roman lake with swimming platforms, but the water was very low so I couldnt go in 😭

Aljucén
The amazing, wonderful Roman villa's bath house and outdoor pool. www.aqualibera.com
Incredible - do not miss this.
You can also dress as a Roman:
IMG_2439 copy.jpg

Alcuésar hot springs - didn't visit, can't remember why. Damn.

Embalse de Alcántara
Big, forbidding. Just no.

Baños de Montemayor
Went in one of the two spas, tbh it wasn't that exciting. Colour changing steam room, whoopedoo 🙄 The heated tiled benches were uncomfortable. Swimming pool was nice but infested with a canoodling couple (they need a No Petting sign).

Casa Saso, Valdunciel
Dreamy private pool 😵
IMG-20180731-WA0013 copy.jpg

A Gudiña
Nice public outdoor pool.

Rionegro del Puente
Lovely swimming in the river by the bridge

Puebla de Sanabria
River beach. Trout swimming around! Beer!

Requejo
Swimming pool constructed in the river. Very cold, even by my standards.

Laza
River beach

Ourense
Vast areas of free hot springs. The furthest away from town are the best. Toy train to get there. You can also jump in the river. Don't expect luxury changing rooms, more of a shack.
IMG-20190807-WA0034 copy.jpg

Castro Dozón
Public pool apparently, didn't go there

Silleda
Nice public outdoor pool bit outside town.

There are probably some that I've forgotten, given that I walked over 4 years and will basically swim in anything. Please do add any more.

Last edited:
I remember having a marvellously refreshing swim in the Rio Tera, on a 40 degree afternoon, upstream from the bridge between Santa Croya and Santa Marta de Tera.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back