• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Swimming on the Via?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Someone asked this question earlier on the Portuguese route... but will I need a swimming costume on the VdlP?

In my head I seem to think that there is a spa somewhere en route and also hot springs? Did I dream this? I'm only taking a costume for these. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Someone asked this question earlier on the Portuguese route... but will I need a swimming costume on the VdlP?

In my head I seem to think that there is a spa somewhere en route and also hot springs? Did I dream this? I'm only taking a costume for these. :D

Hi, LesBrass, there are baths in Aljucen http://www.aqualibera.com/ I had a fun hour or so with three walking pals, and none of us had swimsuits. We all used shorts and bras and no one seemed to be scandalized. There is also a spa in Baños de Montemayor http://www.balneariomontemayor.com/
I can't remember when you are beginning to walk but if the temps are anything like they are now, you might want a proper bathing suit for using municipal pools along the way. Though I bet most of them close once school starts.

I am not sure that carrying a swim costume for the off chance you will use it would be worth it.
I think Laurie's advice would be a better choice.
It was about 47c when I was in the hotspring area (mid August)....they did not sound like something I would want to do. There were tourists in town, but they were also skipping the opportunity for the most part.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went to the hot springs in Ourense - no costume but wore pants (underwear) and vest top. Also, there is a huge dam on the stage between Santa Croya de Tera to Rionegro where I would have been very tempted to take a dip from the sandy shores of the reservoir if the weather had been a little warmer.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well thank you folks for so much great information! I think it was both the spa and the hot baths that I had heard about. I am still undecided about the bathers... I bought a light (130gms) costume and it's been in and out of my pack several times in the last week :D

I was hoping to keep my pack at around 7.5 kg but it's grown to 8.6 kg. I've added things like the costume, and a UV Umbrella and a few more electrolyte tablets and some emergency rations and before you know it I'm at 8.6 kg! It's so hot at the moment I want to be sure I stay healthy. :rolleyes:

I think I'm just going to accept this weight and hope that as the days pass so the weight reduces... I've walked with it all and 3L of water and I could feel the weight on my back but it really wasn't too bad... I wish I could remember what my pack weight was when I first walked the CF... And I'm 25kg lighter so that must count for something :oops::D

I can vouch for the baths in Banos de Montemayor. Lovely hillside town, with the proper spas. One of them has a pilgrim rate. For 3.50 euro each we got terry towel robes, slippers, towels, changing cabin, and two hours in the warm pool. They even found a swimsuit for me that fit. Not the hot tub, unfortunately. (I went in April/May, spent most of my time trying to keep warm, especially in the hills.) The whole experience was heavenly after a day's walk. The main pool has parts of it from Roman times, and some display areas with ancient bits.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks @FelixBC ... I've been sent details of another spa in Sevilla too... As there are now at least three chances of something wonderful, I think the costume will stay in my pack now. This way I will have to make use of all these wonderful facilities so as not to waste carrying it!

I'll be in Sevilla this time next week and I am beyond excited :D

Thanks @FelixBC ... I've been sent details of another spa in Sevilla too... As there are now at least three chances of something wonderful, I think the costume will stay in my pack now. This way I will have to make use of all these wonderful facilities so as not to waste carrying it!

I'll be in Sevilla this time next week and I am beyond excited :D
The Baños Arabe in Sevilla! One of the best two hours of my life. Really. And it was quiet enough that I got some of its beautiful pools to myself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@LesBrass, right this very minute we are experiencing the first significant rain for months here in my part of Andalucia, and it is very welcome indeed. Hopefully this will mark the end of the very high temperatures we have been experiencing over the summer and walking the VdlP will be a more pleasant experience as a result.
Wishing you a very Buen Camino with much use of your new costume!

I made sure I had underwear that could double up as swimwear if needed and included a pair of running shorts if my knickers were potentially inappropriate. I went swimming in Banos, the Embalse on the way to Rio Negro, Castro Dozon and Ourense.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back