• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Swine flu

livingwater

Hi,

I'm planning to do the camino this mid May. My flight arrives to Barcelona and I'll take a train to Leon and walk fro there to santiago. Do you think it's safe to go now despite of the outbreak of swine flu?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If it was me, I would not cancel any plans to travel to Spain because of this. I live in Santiago de Compostela and here people hear about this on the news, but it is not something they are worried about. I have not yet seen a single person with a mask, people are living their normal lives... from my perspective everything here is as normal as it can be.

Greetings from sunny Santiago,
Ivar

We have a new Department of Panicking the Public in the United States, devoted exclusively to blowing things out of proportion. Without a single illness, it recalled thousands of tons of pistachios.

It did its job so well that the Vice President of the United States panicked, and said his family would not fly to avoid the Swine Flu, which is no longer the Swine Flu in deference to those who view the pig as unclean, clearly not the Spanish. We have over 100 cases of H1N1 in the country with a population of 306 million, and one death of a Mexican child who had just crossed the border.

The President of the United States and the Secretary of Panic had to modify the VP's stance. We are to panic, but not too much; just enough to keep the 24-hour news media busy.

As is often repeated in this Forum, make up your own mind. You will be called upon to use common sense many times on the Camino. You can practice on deciding about the Swine Flu.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting you should be so cavalier about swine flu, Reb. I understand the epicenter of this worldwide outbreak is being narrowed down to a field near your house, and the transmission vector may be two innocent looking canines in your care... :lol: (Love your blog...)

-John

All kidding aside, I live on the border between Texas & Mexico, so you'd think we'd be up to our necks in Swine Flu. But we're not. In fact, there aren't any cases being reported further south than San Antonio (yet), & there are cases there & in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as well. All hours away from the border. Why? Who knows?

I did hear a report today that said this particular strain does not have whatever is necessary to make it easy to spread person-to-person & is a relatively mild flu virus. So, wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough/sneeze, load up on Vitamin C & go about your lives.

Kelly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
News from New Zealand:

Updated Thursday 30th April:

With Influenza A and Swine Flu having been identified in New Zealand, the bishops reinforce the need for priests and other ministers working for the Church to practise good personal hygiene procedures and request that all ministers take the following precautionary measures to reduce the spread of influenza.

The following actions are to cease: Communion on the tongue; Communion from the chalice; shaking hands at the Sign of Peace.

The bishops emphasise that ceasing these actions is a precautionary measure only and hope that they will not have to take stronger action. An update will be issued by the bishops if stronger action is needed and advice will be given when these actions can be resumed.

My first reaction? "Oh ferChrissakes!" How utterly Presbyterian of them!
I think if you get a fatal illness from taking the sacraments, you at LEAST get a "Get Out of Purgatory Free" card! (or a Compostela, whichever comes first.) Communion is a wonderful strengthening tonic for body and soul, and should not be meddled with, thank you much Mister Bishop!

I had a week ago what would this week be considered a case of probable Swine Flu. It was devastating. I´m not making light of other peoples´ sufferings, and from what I have read I know that I will probably be a fatality if the really bad stuff comes along (I have asthma.) Still, life is only what we have right here, right now. Someday some germ or trauma is gonna take all of us out.

Meantime, we can´t let fear control us.
Get out there and WALK, you pilgrims!
Reb.

Rebekah Scott said:
My first reaction? "Oh ferChrissakes!" How utterly Presbyterian of them!
I think if you get a fatal illness from taking the sacraments, you at LEAST get a "Get Out of Purgatory Free" card! (or a Compostela, whichever comes first.) Communion is a wonderful strengthening tonic for body and soul, and should not be meddled with, thank you much Mister Bishop!

I had a week ago what would this week be considered a case of probable Swine Flu. It was devastating. I´m not making light of other peoples´ sufferings, and from what I have read I know that I will probably be a fatality if the really bad stuff comes along (I have asthma.) Still, life is only what we have right here, right now. Someday some germ or trauma is gonna take all of us out.

Meantime, we can´t let fear control us.
Get out there and WALK, you pilgrims!
Reb.

Terve,
I totally agree. One life, live it!
-T-

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm with you , Reb!

While last week you were alternating between the bedroom and the bathroom, this week you'd be running off the doctor to have your germs tested!!!!

Glad you're feeling better! Perhaps acquiriing swine would produce the necessary antibodies to ward off the bugs???? And piglets are SO cute! :wink:

I'm in Madrid June 13!!!!!

Buen Camino,

Things are getting serious here: A woman phoned the Swine Flu hotline to get some information and all she got on the phone was crackling.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
no one is wearing masks between Pamlona (May 1) and Estella (today, May 4) and no pilgrims seem sick either.
buen camino sin gripa
Kimlin

I'm sad about communion from the chalice being stopped.
Seems the alcohol would kill bugs.

I'd go to the Camino anyway... wash hands, stay away from sick people, enjoy it.

Heck, I'm more skeered of bedbugs

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a cunning plan to ensure I get the bottom bunk when I start my Camino in June
wear a sombrero and cough a lot. :)
there were some cases of swine flu in England but now they are up and about and feeling Perky.
(you need to be English and over 55 to get the last one).
joking apart,slight worry that Spain has the largest number of cases in Europe.
Ian

sagalouts said:
(you need to be English and over 55 to get the last one).

I'm 53 and I got it.

aaahhh ..... the bed bugs will fall from the top bunk onto all the 55+ peregrinos lurking on the bottom bunks. I think I'm going to improve my ladder climbing skills!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Had I been properly attending to my moderator duties I would have moved this topic to an earlier "Ist Swine Flu reported in Madrid' in mid-March.

At that time, I mentioned that the case was traced to the airport on a plane arriving from Mexico. My suggestion was to wash your hands. That is just good germ warfare. Since then a number of things remain the same and some are different. The majority of cases found in Europe and the Americas have their origin in Mexico and the official designation has been changed to H1N1.

Here's the latest from Spain:

May 9, 2009

MADRID -- Spain has reported eight more confirmed cases of swine flu, raising its total to 81.

A statement issued Wednesday night by the Health Ministry said all but one of the 81 have been released from the hospital.

The statement said 48 other people are under observation.

Of the 81 confirmed cases, all but nine of those people recently had been in Mexico. That is up from five as of Tuesday.

The four countries with the most cases of swine flu are Mexico, the US, Canada and Spain.(AP)

Now, I can agree with Reb, Deirdre, Ivar and others that...there appears to be little cause for alarm as far as the Camino goes and your plans to follow the Way.

But, as my beloved Mom said, "Wash your hands. Especially if you've touched your H1N1"

Buen safe Camino

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back