• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Switching From Senda Litoral to Central Route

Joanne Yoong

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016); Camino Portuguese (2018)
Dear fellow Camino members,

I'm in need of your expertise and advice. My friend and I will be walking the Senda Litoral route in September and I know we can change to the Braga way in Vila do Conde or at Caminha. Is there any other places where we can turn into the Braga way besides these two towns?

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Joanne, do you mean only by walking? Because there are several places where you can hop on a bus. Do you want to go to the town of Braga? Or just get from the coast onto the Central Route? Can you explain a bit more about what your plans or intentions are?
Jill

Hi Jill,

We are open to hopping on buses/taxis/trains...

So we plan to start in Porto and walk along the coast for a while, we were thinking of switching to the central route (no need to go to Braga) at Caminha... our destination is actually Vigo this time around and not SdC as we were there in 2016...

The thing is that it's a long way to Caminha and wanted to see more of the central route hence wondering if there's something between Vila do Conde and Caminha?

Grateful for your advice! Thanks!
Joanne

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Caminho de Braga starts north of Porto and follows a different route than the coastal
You could walk as far as Viana do Castelo along the coast ,take the bus from there to Braga and walk the last leg from Braga to Ponte de Lima.
The connection from Caminha I do not understand unless you walk from there to Valença do Minho and walk back southwards to Ponte de Lima and Braga as shown on annexed pictures. But so you never arrive in Santiago.

Attachments

• IMG_2885.JPG
    IMG_2885.JPG
    769.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2886.JPG
    IMG_2886.JPG
    634.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2887.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPG
    534.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2889.JPG
    IMG_2889.JPG
    623.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi Jill,

We are open to hopping on buses/taxis/trains...

So we plan to start in Porto and walk along the coast for a while, we were thinking of switching to the central route (no need to go to Braga) at Caminha... our destination is actually Vigo this time around and not SdC as we were there in 2016...

The thing is that it's a long way to Caminha and wanted to see more of the central route hence wondering if there's something between Vila do Conde and Caminha?

Grateful for your advice! Thanks!
Joanne
if you want to go to Vigo just cross the river Minho at Caminha and continue walking to A Guarda, Oia and Baiona before you will end up in Vigo
Switching in Caminho to the central route means that you will walk to Valença do Minho and than continue to O Porriño,and Redondela and than walk back to Vigo. To me it looks complicated .

Can I walk from Tui to Vigo and not go to O Porriño,and Redondela?
Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes and no. The first part from Valença/Tui (Tui is at the oposite bank of the Minho river connected by a beautiful bridge, built by George Eiffel. Don't know if he first built the horizontal bridge or the vertical Eiffel tower first ) Then you have to go direction o Porriñowhere you can choose a not waymarked path to Vigo.
Other option is to walk from Caminha to Vila Nova de Cerveira 15 kms. Cross the bridge there and walk back along the river bank to A Guarda and continue the coast. In that case I should cross the river Minho at Caminha by ferry or fisherman's boat as I did and continue following the coast to Vigo. Beautiful walk.
I did it before and do it partly (to Caminha from Porto) next april again

Hi Joanne, you can download maps for free from this site:
http://www.caminador.es/
They are in Portuguese, but very easy to follow.
They might help you see what routes there are.
Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked to Esposende last spring on the coastal route (one day's walk north of Vila do Conde), then hopped on a local bus over to Barcelos where we picked up the central route. Frequent buses. About 1/2 hour ride. My memory is that the schedule is better than is shown on rome2rio web site, so check at the bus station in Esposende, if you choose to do this.

A nice option. Walk to Viana do Castelo , hop on the bus to Braga and get out in the village of Balugães and pick up the yellow waymarkers there on the central route.
After 4 km you will reach the best albergue of the entire Caminho Português, casa Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães. You can't miss it. Her gardenpath is on the waymarked route. Bom caminho

A nice option. Walk to Viana do Castelo , hop on the bus to Braga and get out in the village of Balugães and pick up the yellow waymarkers there on the central route.
After 4 km you will reach the best albergue of the entire Caminho Português, casa Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães. You can't miss it. Her gardenpath is on the waymarked route. Bom caminho

Hi Albertinho,

Would you please share details for this bus option? I was looking for a bus to Braga from Viana do Castelo and I find one that goes to Nine and then another bus to Braga. Do you know of one direct to Braga? (I think I might like to go there fist and then continue walking from Barcelos after Braga)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oi Albertinho onde eu posso pegar esse onibus de Barcelos para Braga? Vc sabe o numero ou nome do Ônibus? i would like to get a hotel close to the bus station. Thank you

Oi Albertinho onde eu posso pegar esse onibus de Barcelos para Braga? Vc sabe o numero ou nome do Ônibus? i would like to get a hotel close to the bus station. Thank you
Isso deve te ajudar ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Obrigado friend. Do you know if Barcelos and Barcelinhos are the same city?
Separate cities, but I'd say close enough to be considered the same.

Separate cities, but I'd say close enough to be considered the same.

Oh that is very close. I thought was the same city. Thank you so much

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh that is very close. I thought was the same city. Thank you so much
I enjoyed my stay in Barcelos. I don't really remember Barcelinhos. So decide where to stay depending on whether you like more populated places (Barcelos) or smaller places (Barcelinhos).
Though Barcelos really isn't that big. And there is a small museum there to visit and plenty of rooster statues!
Barcelos.jpg

I enjoyed my stay in Barcelos. I don't really remember Barcelinhos. So decide where to stay depending on whether you like more populated places (Barcelos) or smaller places (Barcelinhos).
Though Barcelos really isn't that big. And there is a small museum there to visit and plenty of rooster statues!
View attachment 102616

You are getting me so curious! Cant wait! 🙂Thank you for the information.

You are getting me so curious! Cant wait! 🙂Thank you for the information.
It looks, from the expanded map, like Barcelinhos is the new suburb of the town just south of the river. My only visit to Barcelos, I came in on the train, and had to walk from the east into the center of the town. It looks as if you have to do the same, only walking south across the river.

It makes sense. Barcelos is a very old, very compact town and there likely wasn't room for a bus station in a more central location.

Bom caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It looks, from the expanded map, like Barcelinhos is the new suburb of the town just south of the river. My only visit to Barcelos, I came in on the train, and had to walk from the east into the center of the town. It looks as if you have to do the same, only walking south across the river.

It makes sense. Barcelos is a very old, very compact town and there likely wasn't room for a bus station in a more central location.

Bom caminho!
Yes makes sense. I was just avoiding not walking a long distance from hotel to station (back and forward) to take advantage of this extra time to spend in Braga instead. Very excited. I plan to sleep two nights in Barcelos so i can take the bus to spend one full day in Braga.

I was just avoiding not walking a long distance from hotel to station (back and forward) to take advantage of this extra time to spend in Braga instead.
In Portugal, taxis are always a good option, particularly since you speak Portuguese. They are very cheap!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Obrigado friend. Do you know if Barcelos and Barcelinhos are the same city?
I'm pretty sure they are separate, separated by a river. So they are only a short bridge apart.

When we walked through, we stayed in an albergue in Barcelinhos, operated by the Amigos da Montanha, but we spent most of our time in Barcelos.

Isso deve te ajudar ...

Desculpe. Não estive desde muito tempo neste forum.
há paragem de onibus em frente do hospital no centro de Barcelos.
outra maneira é apanhar o comboio . A estaçāo de Barcelos é fora do centro, um caminho de mais ou menos 15 minutos. Acho que você tem que mudar em Nine , uma cidade dentro de Barcelos e Braga.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back