• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Switzerland to France

Juan Abaunza

Time of past OR future Camino
GR 65 (2017)
Hi guys, I am planning on leaving St Gallen in two weeks to start my way to Geneva, but I have seen that Switzerland is a very expensive road, and I was thinking on jumping Switzerland and starting from Geneva, my question is, does anyone has made this route? from St Gallen to Geneva? it is worth it? its expensive? should I better go directly to Geneva and start there?
Thank you for your help and suggestions
Juan Carlos

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Juan Carlos, I don't know the Camino route in Switzerland - but I will be in Nyon near Geneva in early August.

Based on previous trips, Switzerland is beautiful, with lovely churches and many, many very well marked trails and pedestrian routes. I am hoping to do some practice walks around Lac Leman before I start the Camino del Norte at the end of August. If your route takes you through Fribourg, it is an amazing town - take the time to go find the spiders web :) And look at the stone of the walls.

The cost for food is comparable to what I would expect to pay in my hometown of Vancouver (which may not be too helpful for you), but I would think about 5.50 euros for a basic breakfast of coffee and a pastry or breakfast sandwichy type thing, 10 to 20 euros for a simple dinner.

I am not familiar with accommodation on the route, and if you will be able to stay at hostels or not. I suspect there aren't any donativos, so these are likely private youth hostels, with a cost of around 20 to 30 euros per night.

I hope this helps!

I have not walked it, but I believe Geneva to Le Puy is a lovely walk, and not difficult.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Juan Carlos, I don't know the Camino route in Switzerland - but I will be in Nyon near Geneva in early August.

Based on previous trips, Switzerland is beautiful, with lovely churches and many, many very well marked trails and pedestrian routes. I am hoping to do some practice walks around Lac Leman before I start the Camino del Norte at the end of August. If your route takes you through Fribourg, it is an amazing town - take the time to go find the spiders web :) And look at the stone of the walls.

The cost for food is comparable to what I would expect to pay in my hometown of Vancouver (which may not be too helpful for you), but I would think about 5.50 euros for a basic breakfast of coffee and a pastry or breakfast sandwichy type thing, 10 to 20 euros for a simple dinner.

I am not familiar with accommodation on the route, and if you will be able to stay at hostels or not. I suspect there aren't any donativos, so these are likely private youth hostels, with a cost of around 20 to 30 euros per night.

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for your input, to be honest, I want to really get out of my comfort zone and Im trying to go and do it with the less expenses possible, trying to sleep on my tent every other day and eat as meager as possible, somehow I feel lost and I think by doing this I can find my center again, therefore, making extra efforts its important, thanks a lot again.

Hello Juan
I haven't walked St. Gallen to Geneva but 2 years ago I walked Geneva to SdC. Geneva certainly can be expensive but is a very beautiful city and as it was my first time there I thought the expense was worth it.
The accommodation on the Chemin is as varied as the terrain: first night was in the donativo in Charly, then a small holiday caravan the next night for 10 Euros. I stayed in Gites, Communal Accueil, private homes and hotels. I paid from 0 to 65 Euros depending on where I was staying. The 65 was in a hotel after two nights in a row of heavy snorrers in gites, and I just needed a good nights sleep so was willing to pay for quiet.
As I left Geneva at the end of April there were not many pellerins on the trail but by the middle of May there were more but definitely it was never crowded and I met a number who were camping. So, if that is something you hope to do - go for it. As pretty well all my hiking and camping has been in western Canada I couldn't help but stare longingly as I passed through many forested areas which just seemed to be calling out to have a tent in there midst.
It is a beautiful walk. Most on graveled trails, some on hard surface secondary roads, lots of up and down, great food and of course many interesting folk.
enjoy
bon chemin/ buen camino

Hello Juan
I haven't walked St. Gallen to Geneva but 2 years ago I walked Geneva to SdC. Geneva certainly can be expensive but is a very beautiful city and as it was my first time there I thought the expense was worth it.
The accommodation on the Chemin is as varied as the terrain: first night was in the donativo in Charly, then a small holiday caravan the next night for 10 Euros. I stayed in Gites, Communal Accueil, private homes and hotels. I paid from 0 to 65 Euros depending on where I was staying. The 65 was in a hotel after two nights in a row of heavy snorrers in gites, and I just needed a good nights sleep so was willing to pay for quiet.
As I left Geneva at the end of April there were not many pellerins on the trail but by the middle of May there were more but definitely it was never crowded and I met a number who were camping. So, if that is something you hope to do - go for it. As pretty well all my hiking and camping has been in western Canada I couldn't help but stare longingly as I passed through many forested areas which just seemed to be calling out to have a tent in there midst.
It is a beautiful walk. Most on graveled trails, some on hard surface secondary roads, lots of up and down, great food and of course many interesting folk.
enjoy
bon chemin/ buen camino
Thank you Richard, thanks a lot for your input, I am almost certain to have reached a decision about this, I really thank you for your help.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back