• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Swollen feet....

Dringwa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
Is this something to be worried about? Has anyone had this? I'm 8 days in and starting about my third or fourth day I get this painful swelling in my feet when standing. Laying down or sitting without pressure on my feet, and walking on the Camino, is fine, it might be painful for the first 20 paces or so after sitting, but once I get my blood circulating everything is good. In the evenings though, when I'm just walking to the bathroom, shower, etc., it is very painful. I can't really go around and see the towns. Stupid question, but do I need a doctor? Will this resolve itself?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it really IN your feet? Or also the ankles and shins?
Might be the beginning of tendonitis or shin splints, but domt want to frighten you, but do want you to be carefull with that.
I think only a doctor can make that diagnosis. It just kind of sounds like the trouble i had. I had swolen ankles and shins.
After every coffee break, the first 2 minutes of walking really sucked, after that is was ok. But eventually i ended up needing resting days.

I would go to a doctor, have them check it out. They will probably tell you that you need rest and (maybe) give you diclofenac. An anti inflamatory painkiller that is stronger then ibuprofen.
Where ibuprofen could not help me anymore, the diclofenac worked wonders. You can get 50mg pills at a pharmacy without a doctors note in Spain (in Holland max 10mg pills without recipe), but better to do it with the advice of a doctor.

Good luck with the feet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I get this painful swelling in my feet when standing.

I agree with Leanimath that it is quite common to have pain, during and for some time after the Camino. (The source of the "Pilgrim Shuffle":()

I agree with your experience that it arrives around day 3-5. But a caveat is in order, just to be on the safe side. The fact that you only get the swelling when you are standing. Do you notice any discoloration of your feet? (And I am talking about a deep-tissue reddening or darkening, not something that could be caused by surface irritation.) If you do have discoloration, it would be a good idea to have it looked at by a professional as soon as possible. Otherwise...

For the next day or two, make sure you stay well hydrated and get some magnesium & potassium into your system (dates, bananas). If the pain/swelling to gets worse (it should not) then get to a doc or physiotherapist and take a bit of time off or just shorter days. You do not want to invite tendonitis.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

B

Is it really IN your feet? Or also the ankles and shins?
Might be the beginning of tendonitis or shin splints, but domt want to frighten you, but do want you to be carefull with that.
I think only a doctor can make that diagnosis. It just kind of sounds like the trouble i had. I had swolen ankles and shins.
After every coffee break, the first 2 minutes of walking really sucked, after that is was ok. But eventually i ended up needing resting days.

I would go to a doctor, have them check it out. They will probably tell you that you need rest and (maybe) give you diclofenac. An anti inflamatory painkiller that is stronger then ibuprofen.
Where ibuprofen could not help me anymore, the diclofenac worked wonders. You can get 50mg pills at a pharmacy without a doctors note in Spain (in Holland max 10mg pills without recipe), but better to do it with the advice of a doctor.

Good luck with the feet.
I really want to remember the name of that med. thank you.

Sounds a lot like the pain I had walking and afterwards, and my doc said it was (the dreaded) Plantar Fasciitis - if so, diclofenac cream would work for the pain and treat the tendons at the same time, better than taking tablets that have to go through the stomach first. Also there are stretching exercises you can do during and after each walk and even between them, it has helped me a lot. I hope for your sake it isn't the PF, but if it is, it can be controlled if not immediately cured. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Use ice for the ankle swelling. Bartenders are usually willing to give you a few ice cubes; have your own ziplok bag to keep the bar floor dry.

Seek professional medical advice, if only a pharmacist.

I had this on my second day on the Camino after a long walk from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. I went to the pharmacy and was given an ointment in a tube that took away the pain and reduced the swelling. I was able to continue after that. I don't remember the name of the ointment but it was powerful.

There is a product called Saltratos, sold in all pharmacies in Spain. This cures the overheating of the feet. It really smoothes down the uncomfortable feeling that can arise after so many days on the go! Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is this something to be worried about? Has anyone had this? I'm 8 days in and starting about my third or fourth day I get this painful swelling in my feet when standing. Laying down or sitting without pressure on my feet, and walking on the Camino, is fine, it might be painful for the first 20 paces or so after sitting, but once I get my blood circulating everything is good. In the evenings though, when I'm just walking to the bathroom, shower, etc., it is very painful. I can't really go around and see the towns. Stupid question, but do I need a doctor? Will this resolve itself?
If you have any health condition like neuropathy, you should definitely consult a doctor. Otherwise, swelling is usually caused by some strain on your feet and that should improve over time. Try taking some over the counter anti-inflammatory. There is a good cream called "Radio Salil" that is popular among peregrinos. About 3 weeks into my walk, my small toes swelled and had a slight pain. I kept walking with ibuprofen. Then my big toe started hurting during the last 2 days. Swelling continue to persist even after i stop walking. An xray revealed i had multiple fractures in my toe bones due to reduced nerve sensitivity (neuropathy) and i didn't feel enough pain. I don't want to scare you, if the swelling does not go away in few days, good idea to visit a clinic.

There is a product called Saltratos, sold in all pharmacies in Spain. This cures the overheating of the feet. It really smoothes down the uncomfortable feeling that can arise after so many days on the go! Anne
Anne, do you recall if it was the 'Blue' Saltratos?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try compression socks or calf compression sleeves. I wore the sleeves every day and never had a moment's trouble with swelling, not even my feet.

The farmacias might have them. I brought mine for the trip.

I could feel my calves tingling along while I walked :)

¡Buen camino!

A few years ago I developed swollen feet and legs after 5 long days of carrying a 25kg pack tramping up and down rivers and over low passes in hot weather (not on camino though). I ended up with blisters on the tops of my feet. I'd never experienced that before and worried that there might be some dire cause (I'd read too many great escape stories where people crossed the Taklamakan Desert and swollen feet were the beginning of the end) so went to the doctor afterwards. He prescribed lying down with boots off and legs raised on bunk or pack at the end of the day and massaging the fluid down from each foot to the hip (possible to do to oneself at a pinch) rather than fussing about getting a drink or putting dinner on. Another med student tramper used to always lie down with his feet above his head at every rest stop so his feet would drain. And more recently when one of my previously injured knees gets swollen or stiff, my doctor suggested sleeping with legs raised on a pillow in addition to antiflams, and also to take antiflams before strenuous exercise as a preventative. I've got to say gravity works (with the caveat that I'm not a doctor and I'd agree it's worth getting a professional opinion/diagnosis).

A lot of people get swollen feet. The problem is when it goes over to your ankles too.

I had that problem too last year, on my first Camiño, mainly because it was a conjugation of bad boots, a lot of heat, inappropriate hydration, long stops (and when I say long, I’m talking about an 1 hour stop), a lot of weight on my backpack (11kg), and also bad preparation.

After getting back, my doctor told me that I was very lucky for not having any serious medical condition on my feet and ankles. I took anti-inflammatory for about a week, applied some muscular gel and putted some ice with my legs lifted up every four hours (until the ice melt down).

Here are my considerations to your question: if it’s a problem that you understand that you have on your daily life, you should consider talking with a doctor. Expose the situation, and he will tell you what is the best for you.

If it only happens only when you walk “long” distances with your backpack, then it could be normal, or it could be not. There are people who tend to have swollen feet almost every day, and even when they consult a doctor, they don’t see any problem with their feet. But there are ways for you preventing it:

- The using of compression socks;
- Using gel or any other medicine to prevent it;
- Stopping for every 1H/1:30H, take you boots/walking shoes/trainers, whatever, and lift your legs up. I do not advise people to stop more than 20 minutes;
- Sleeping with your legs rose at the end of the day.

I changed a lot since my last year Camiño, to this one, and I ended up without any problem, just had to take some ibuprofen on the end of the first day, because I had a small pain on my ankle, which with the time disappeared.

I hope that you manage to solve your problem.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It sounds to me like plantar fasciitis. I'd see a podiatrist.

The first day walking the Camino I had no pain in my feet. I felt i had good shoes that were exactly my size. On the second day I my feet started to swell and my shoes felt tight. Going down the Pyrenees Mountins it is very rocky. The motion of your feet is back and forth and sometimes side to side. Lots of friction on the feet. My feet were very swollen. Nines months later I learned that while I was going down the Pyrenees my big toe nails were digging back into my feet. I lost both toe nails and it took nine months. I had to buy new shoes one size bigger while on the Camino to complete the Camino. My walking was very very slow.
I continued walking in alot of pain for 100 miles.While going to Cruz Menor I remember that my feet felt like they were on fire. I just made it there. In Logrono I saw a medic who ordered me to rest.
When walking on the Camino ibuprofen was my best friend besides my husband. It helped a lot.
On the Camino everybody seems to have a possible cure to what ails you. Sometimes you have to see a medic and the medic will sometimes tell you to get off your feet for one week. My advise is to listen and to try all the reasonable advise you can.
I finished the Camino but not without a lot of pain. I thought that maybe my ailing feet had been some kind of pence I had to endure. It was all part of my Camino. I learned a lot. I am planning (God willing) to go back and walk the Camino again.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And my 2 cents (which ain't worth that much): Could be any number of reasons or all of them. My feet hurt in the morning when I get out of bed ALL THE TIME. But I worked as a guide for many years carrying a heavy pack on rough, trail-less terrain. I was young and dumb in those days. I don't that too much anymore but I walk and hike still. Put in about 15 -20 miles a week. I also take a CCB (Calcium Channel Blocker) to control my blood pressure and I get some minor swelling in my ankles. It has something to do with holding water. I try not to focus on the pain too much and either it goes away or I just stopped noticing it.
The advice to put your feet up is an excellent one both at rest stops and in bed when sleeping. Also don't stop for more than 20 minutes at a time while in the height of your walking daily. Try massaging your feet, stretch them. Get into a squat and push up with your toes. Then on your knees tuck your toes in with the tops sides down and push a little. If that is excruciating then STOP! Manually bend them at the arch and toes up and down.
I had a bad sprain to my big toe 2 years ago and it gets sore but I have to keep moving and stretching it.
Also as someone mentioned I think take some potassium. Better off as a supplement as you'd have to eat about 10 bananas to get the amount you need.
And finally RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation... Also massage, massage, massage... Then when all is said and done, take a bus... No one gets points for crippling themselves...
hang in there...

Back