• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino swollen painful feet

F

Former member 94614

i am currently in estella and both feet are swollen and painful with one toenail coming off. wearing altra lonepeaks- no blisters.

had rain for a couple days out of roncesvalles with soaked shoes the whole time through zubiri followed by hotter than hell 2 days pamplona-alt de perdon and puente la reine. today rain and mud all the way to estella.

great times but now worried re feet swelling snd pain. i do know i am not getting enough water.. pharmacy here gave me compression socks. i hope can walk ok tomorrow or will bus to los arcos
anyone have recommendation for place to get feet checked in either estella or los arcos or other suggestions? may try switching to sandals but will have to buy/ didn't bring keens after all. thx for any help!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh, no! How awful for you. Sorry I have no recommendations other than to ask around or Google.
I hope the compression socks work, but it sounds like a bit of rest for your feet is in order. And new shoes with a wider toe box.
Good luck to you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stopped in Estella for a week for similar reasons to you. Drink masses of water and just rest for a few days, Estella is nice. It's OK, it's allowed, it's your camino, there's no fixed itinerary. Oh, and drink masses of water. Did I mention drinking masses of water, like all the time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stopped in Estella for a week for similar reasons to you. Drink masses of water and just rest for a few days, Estella is nice. It's OK, it's allowed, it's your camino, there's no fixed itinerary. Oh, and drink masses of water. Did I mention drinking masses of water, like all the time?
yes i will increase water- have been surprised there are not as many fountains as anticipated! havent decided whether to stay in estella- might do that or bus to los arcos to meet friends who are walking there :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have problems with the top of my foot being very painful and swelling. I have self-diagnosed extensor tendinitis which I think was self inflicted many caminos ago by tying my bootlaces too tight. I still get problems many years later. Am bringing anti inflammatory medication this year.
Good luck with sorting your problem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have problems with the top of my foot being very painful and swelling. I have self-diagnosed extensor tendinitis which I think was self inflicted many caminos ago by tying my bootlaces too tight. I still get problems many years later. Am bringing anti inflammatory medication this year.
Good luck with sorting your problem.
I was diagnosed by a British junior doctor a long time later on the camino as me having been suffering from tendonitis. Too little water and not using poles downhill was the cause. Drinking masses of water and using poles that I bought in Burgos cured it :)

Logrono will has a larger medical center and more stores. There is a direct bus to Logrono from Estella if you want to get ahead of your friends and seek treatment. When I was a hospitalera in Estella we had a footsore pilgrim who eventually went to Logrono by bus and got treatment, new shoes, and new socks and he had no more problems.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The bus station in Logrono is in the middle of town. Maybe plan to take a taxi.
I would identify a hotel or albergue near a laundromat and someplace to eat. Ask for help to get an appointment for your feet. There is a decathlon in Logrono which may or may not have shoes but there are many more stores there. What you don't want to do is to spend a couple days walking around town. The clinic in Estella is also good and responsive to pilgrims.

The bus station in Logrono is in the middle of town. Maybe plan to take a taxi.
I would identify a hotel or albergue near a laundromat and someplace to eat. Ask for help to get an appointment for your feet. There is a decathlon in Logrono which may or may not have shoes but there are many more stores there. What you don't want to do is to spend a couple days walking around town. The clinic in Estella is also good and responsive to pilgrims.
thinking of staying in estella snother day if albergue will let me

A selection of Camino Jewellery
thinking of staying in estella snother day if albergue will let me
I saw a very good podiatrist in Estella in 2018: Cristina Saenz, av Yerri, near the bus station. I checked on Google just now and her Clinica Podologica still shows in business. She was professional and thorough and made it possible for me to continue walking with no further damage to my poor feet.

You might try elevating your feet, positioned above your heart for 15-20 minutes at a time several times a day. It can do wonders for swollen feet. Lying on your back on a lower bunk and resting your feet on the bed above works really well. Also follow through with the compression socks. That may be all you need to do, along with taking more care with hydration.

I will say that I am surprised that you haven’t been finding fountains. I remember them being sufficiently frequent from Roncevalles to Estella and I only carried 750 ml. max. Perhaps they are there but for some reason you aren’t spotting them? I am fortunate that my walking partner/husband is very talented at spotting things like that. And you can always ask in a bar to refill your water bottle or use the tap in a restroom, although I am pretty sure I never did that when I walked that route in ’19. In any case, personally I would try these three zero cost home treatments (elevate feet, compression socks, hydration) for a few days and see if there is improvement before buying new shoes, which might not have anything to do with the problem. I’d also see a doctor just to be sure something else isn’t going on, especially if things don’t improve with home treatments.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
the hospitalero in estella is letting me stay one more night and will drive me to the clinic later this morning then i will walk back myself.

thx for info on podiatrist but i may want a regular md to rule out anything else no?

(i havent mentioned that i also fell on a slippery wooden bridge yesterday but dint think i broke anything but that leg is sore too so may as well have that checked. thanks everyone for all the help!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say that I am surprised that you haven’t been finding fountains. I remember them being sufficiently frequent from Roncevalles to Estella and I only carried 750 ml. max. Perhaps they are there but for some reason you aren’t spotting them? I am fortunate that my walking partner/husband is very talented at spotting things like that.

I know your husband's secret. He uses https://www.opencyclemap.org/ as it shows all the water points on their map. There are 10 in Estella

I had the same problem with disconcerting swelling in both feet on my most recent camino, which was the result of a long flight - they took a very long time to get back to normal. It was a bit intense, because my shoes were already not fitting as they had (for other reasons).

What eventually worked was to spend some time every day with my feet above everything else, tight socks, and hydration. And I bought Keen sandals, to release the poor feet from prison.

May your visit to the clinic set your mind at ease and lead to quick relief of discomfort.
Buen camino, @peregrin peregrina !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had the same problem with disconcerting swelling in both feet on my most recent camino, which was the result of a long flight - they took a very long time to get back to normal. It was a bit intense, because my shoes were already not fitting as they had (for other reasons).

What eventually worked was to spend some time every day with my feet above everything else, tight socks, and hydration. And I bought Keen sandals, to release the poor feet from prison.

May your visit to the clinic set your mind at ease and lead to quick relief of discomfort.
thanks so much!

Yes I learned after my first Camino to wear compression socks in the flight to prevent this.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’m still dealing with swollen feet. I think to some degree it’s an understandable reaction to the pounding our feet get day after day on trail. I try to remember every day to do the legs up the wall thing. The more swollen the more it hurts to do it, but it really does make a difference, once you’ve seen a doctor for the serious stuff and are ready to walk again. Hopefully you can find some hiking sandals, too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Options:

There is a physiotherapist

CENTRO DE FISIOTERAPIA MAITE DUFUR OTHEGUY C/ Merindad, 6, Estella/Lizarra ( 31200 ) , Navarra. Opening hours not visible online.

A 24 hour health centre

Centro de salud de Estella - Lizarrako Osasunetxea

And the Centro Médico Estella (which I think is nearest to the Día supermarket) which opens at 4 (sorry about the ‘bold’ - it’s incompetence not emphasis)

My first port of call would be a big pharmacy where someone will speak good English if you don’t speak Spanish.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had simular in 2017. Swollen, red feet that felt very hot. I went to the hospital and was treated for tendinitis (anti-imflamatory, ice & 3-days rest) I also got a full size larger shoes, cooling socks and foot powder. I was better after resting, icing, drugs after 3-days and finished my camino.

My daughter bought a pair of Merells in Estella - running shoes.

In Calle Mayor, on the right, in the direction of the CF.
A small shop, which sold all sorts of shoes.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. My feet were torturing me as well by the time I got to Estella on first camino. I bought some new walking shoes there. In a place on or very near the main plaza. Perhaps the one chinacat mentioned(?). The owners were a brother and sister and they were wonderful. (Just found photo!)
2013-04-10 10.56.49.jpg

Last edited:
i am currently in estella and both feet are swollen and painful with one toenail coming off. wearing altra lonepeaks- no blisters.

had rain for a couple days out of roncesvalles with soaked shoes the whole time through zubiri followed by hotter than hell 2 days pamplona-alt de perdon and puente la reine. today rain and mud all the way to estella.

great times but now worried re feet swelling snd pain. i do know i am not getting enough water.. pharmacy here gave me compression socks. i hope can walk ok tomorrow or will bus to los arcos
anyone have recommendation for place to get feet checked in either estella or los arcos or other suggestions? may try switching to sandals but will have to buy/ didn't bring keens after all. thx for any help!
Shoot. So sorry to hear that. 'Hope you've gotten to a hospital or Dr. I have a friend who had to go around Estella and they helped her a lot. As your feet get swollen, the situation gets worse. Altra Lone Peaks are the widest toe box you can find, tho I'd suggest getting another half size bigger. Maybe the sandals will work better. Best wishes! Hang in there and give yourself a few days without beating yourself up. ;-)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You might try elevating your feet, positioned above your heart for 15-20 minutes at a time several times a day. It can do wonders for swollen feet. Lying on your back on a lower bunk and resting your feet on the bed above works really well. Also follow through with the compression socks. That may be all you need to do, along with taking more care with hydration.

I will say that I am surprised that you haven’t been finding fountains. I remember them being sufficiently frequent from Roncevalles to Estella and I only carried 750 ml. max. Perhaps they are there but for some reason you aren’t spotting them? I am fortunate that my walking partner/husband is very talented at spotting things like that. And you can always ask in a bar to refill your water bottle or use the tap in a restroom, although I am pretty sure I never did that when I walked that route in ’19. In any case, personally I would try these three zero cost home treatments (elevate feet, compression socks, hydration) for a few days and see if there is improvement before buying new shoes, which might not have anything to do with the problem. I’d also see a doctor just to be sure something else isn’t going on, especially if things don’t improve with home treatments.
Sorry for your pain. Altras are very good shoes. My husband walked the Camino without incident. That said, not all shoes are right for all people. Someone mentioned swelling feet from flying. That’s another possibility. I had swollen feet due to the inflammation in my knees. The swelling of my knees gave way to gravity and settled on my feet. I’d see podiatrist, elevate whenever you stop and ice them when you can. Blessings.

Oh, no! How awful for you. Sorry I have no recommendations other than to ask around or Google.
I hope the compression socks work, but it sounds like a bit of rest for your feet is in order. And new shoes with a wider toe box.
Good luck to you!
Her Altra Line Peaks have a huge toe box! But they are zero drop and if you don’t train extensively in them ahead of time, they can wreak havoc on your calves and feet.

So sorry to read of your swollen feet. I had a similar problem with one foot - after 3-4 weeks of walking. Yes, drink lots of water. Needed to pause my walking for 2 weeks - took Ibuprofen (you can get 600mg at the pharmacy - they sell that dose over the counter and very helpful). Went to hospital and doctor did X-ray to ensure no stress fractures. Ended up getting some PT also. The physical therapist then told me it was ok to continue but…”poco a poco” (little by little) no more than 5 miles per day. Of course this slowed things down, but it did help. After 2 weeks of rest (keep your feet up - raised/propped up so higher than level of your heart), very little walking, and soaked in cold water too, I was able to resume my Camino. I did finish. So be patient. It is all about the journey and not about whatever you’re expecting. Take it all as it comes and be patient. Buen Camino!

will ask in the morning and try to get seen there plus buy different shoes. thx!
Try and get some with a little more padding and protection underneath. Loan peaks aren’t bad protection wise but there are better ones.

Elevate your feet at night for a while and cut down the distance for a few days.

If you can, try and take 2 days off and minimize time on your feet.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
other suggestions?
Foot Ice baths or ice packs can be very helpful after a day of hiking to relieve swelling. Same for Epsom salt foot baths. Compression socks may help too if you are comfortable wearing them. Another possibility is Ibuprofen Gel (available at most pharmacies in the EU), but it is mostly effective for tendonitis rather than general swelling.

Addendum: Something that helps me on long hikes is to take a break every couple of hours and take your shoes off to let your feet cool off and (if possible) elevating your feet over your heart (e.g., over a low wall or rock). I never had a name for the procedure but I recently came across a Spanish name for it: procedimiento de enfriamiento de los pies.

Best wishes for finding an effective treatment!

Last edited:
the hospitalero in estella is letting me stay one more night and will drive me to the clinic later this morning then i will walk back myself.

thx for info on podiatrist but i may want a regular md to rule out anything else no?

(i havent mentioned that i also fell on a slippery wooden bridge yesterday but dint think i broke anything but that leg is sore too so may as well have that checked. thanks everyone for all the help!)
U can also have your pack sent ahead which might take pressure off feet.

I know there have been numerous discussions of how to keep your feet in good shape during walks on the Camino. Here are the steps I took during my previous three walks on Camino Francis. Fortunately I never experienced any problems, not even blisters:

1. Always used a walking pole
2. Used my regular Brooks running shoes instead of boots. On paths full of pebbles/rocks etc. I used trail running shoes. I used shoes half a size longer to give proper space to my toes.
3. Before beginning each walk, I used paper tapes to wrap around areas of friction such as toes, heels, etc. Based on my research, using paper tapes is a common practice among marathon runners now
4. Always used Merino Wool socks
5. Always switched to sandals upon arriving at destinations and let the feet breath in the evening/at night
6. Before retiring to bed, applied vaseline to soften the feet and let them rejuvenate overnight

These are the steps that worked for me. But they may not necessarily work for everyone.

Buen Camino!

Foot Ice baths or ice packs can be very helpful after a day of hiking to relieve swelling. Same for Epsom salt foot baths. Compression socks may help too if you are comfortable wearing them. Another possibility is Ibuprofen Gel (available at most pharmacies in the EU), but it is mostly effective for tendonitis rather than general swelling.

Addendum: Something that helps me on long hikes is to take a break every couple of hours and take your shoes off to let your feet cool off and (if possible) elevating your feet over your heart (e.g., over a low wall or rock). I never had a name for the procedure but I recently came across a Spanish name for it: procedimiento de enfriamiento de los pies.

Best wishes for finding an effective treatment!
Yes…ice baths is great! Soaking your feet in cold water - icy - at end of day (or even if you pass a stream on your way), this helps quite a bit too. Even ice packs is helpful. All great suggestions!

yeah i looked around didnt see sport shoes- will ask hospitslero when they get here in the morning
There is a Decathlon store in Estella, and it is, as I recall, on the Camino (easy to find). They usually have a reasonable selection of hiking shoes and boots.

Also, if you're not doing it already, keep your feet up above heart level to reduce swelling.

Sorry to see this and hope that it comes right soon. Not the best weather to walk in, and very soft feet from wet shoes followed by hot humid days and then rain again is the worst combination. Stuffing your shoes with newspaper at night will help them to dry quicker. Black toenail might be from shoes being too loose and your toes hitting the front of the boots on downslopes - and wet soft skin would have weakened the support structure around the nail. Medical advice is the best solution now. You want to avoid trench foot etc so a few rest days with ventilated shoes or sandals to help your feet to dry out and the skin to harden up will help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, this is Mac, the Pilgram that helped you on the bridge fall. Hope you get the help you need. I agree, bud to Logrono if needed I am starting there Friday and Saturday. Let me know if you need anything.
hi mac- thx/busing to logrono tomorrow for 4 days there. the estella clinic refused me and i was sent to hospital where they took exrays and nothing broken. $200 just to walk in the door after showing them my travel insurance.
ordered to do ice, elevation, compression and rest for 4 days per doc. got drugs and other remedies so should be all set doing what you guys have recommended all along! :) still it's good to k what i dealing with!
Hi, this is Mac, the Pilgram that helped you on the bridge fall. Hope you get the help you need. I agree, bud to Logrono if needed I am starting there Friday and Saturday. Let me know if you need anything.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
hi mac- thx/busing to logrono tomorrow for 4 days there. the estella clinic refused me and i was sent to hospital where they took exrays and nothing broken. $200 just to walk in the door after showing them my travel insurance.
ordered to do ice, elevation, compression and rest for 4 days per doc. got drugs and other remedies so should be all set doing what you guys have recommended all along! :) still it's good to k what i dealing with!
Glad there is nothing broken. Remember the bus station is in the middle of town in Logrono so consider a cab. We always stay at the AC Hotel in Logrono which is a business hotel off the Camino, so I can't recommend where you might stay. Maybe others can recommend someplace near dining and a laundromat? Keep your doctors note to show. It might also get you a pilgrim rate somewhere since you are staying more than one night.

Glad there is nothing broken. Remember the bus station is in the middle of town in Logrono so consider a cab. We always stay at the AC Hotel in Logrono which is a business hotel off the Camino, so I can't recommend where you might stay. Maybe others can recommend someplace near dining and a laundromat? Keep your doctors note to show. It might also get you a pilgrim rate somewhere since you are staying more than one night.
thanks- got an albergue to agree for me to stay more than one night in logrono so all is good!

when in estella if you are in the mood for pizza, please patronize: Simonas Pizza, Calle Navarreria, 4.

The owner's 18 year old daughter helped me for many hours this afternoon acting as my translator. I met her on the street when she saw I needed help and was looking for the Hospital. she came on the bus with me and stayed while I had x-rays and then at the end she called her mom, the owner of Simona's pizza, to drive me all the way back to my albergue in rush-hour traffic. I told her that I would tell other peregrinos to order pizza there! they would not accept any money or anything in exchange from me-beautiful people - camino angels!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What is it about Estella?

I was in a similar situation in the same place on my first CF. Rain, rain, and more rain forced me to stop and give my poor feet a rest in that lovely town (I didn’t know it was lovely at the time).

I spent an extra day there, wore my sandals with socks, had my laundry done (and folded!!), used the public library internet, took a nap, soaked my feet in the bidet (!). Looking back on it, it was a wise decision.

Two years later, walking through again, I purposefully spent an extra day in Estella and did all the above again, and more, even though I didn’t need to. For me, its location makes it the place my body stops to “gas up” before continuing.

Don’t miss the wine fountain!

Last edited:

I was in a similar situation in the same place on my first CF. Rain, rain, and more rain forced me to stop and give my poor feet a rest in that lovely town (I didn’t know it was lovely at the time).

I spent an extra day there, wore my sandals with socks, had my laundry done (and folded!!), used the public library internet, took a nap, soaked my feet in the bidet (!). Looking back on it, it was a wise decision.

Two years later, walking through again, I purposefully spent an extra day in Estella and did all the above again, and more, even though I didn’t need to. For me, it’s location makes it the place my body stops to “gas up” before continuing.

It's a pilgrim town. There are others where the people are just as helpful, warm, and friendly.

thanks- got an albergue to agree for me to stay more than one night in logrono so all is good!

when in estella if you are in the mood for pizza, please patronize: Simonas Pizza, Calle Navarreria, 4.

The owner's 28 year old daughter helped me for many hours this afternoon acting as my translator. I met her on the street when she saw I needed help and was looking for the Hospital. she came on the bus with me and stayed while I had x-rays and then at the end she called her mom, the owner of Simone's pizza, to drive me all the way back to my albergue in rush-hour traffic. I told her that I would tell other peregrinos to order pizza there! they would not accept any money or anything in exchange from me-beautiful people - camino angels!
That is so awesome! The true spirit of the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Lone Peaks are great for their width but their padding leaves a bit to be desired. With the blackened toenail I think your shoes are likely too small for the swelling or your feet are sliding forward during down hill stretches and you’re smashing your toes into the front of the shoe. If you do look for other shoes the Altra Olympus has a lot more padding and has become one of their best selling shoes. As someone else said the zero drop of Altras can be challenging for some if they are new to flat shoes but your symptoms don’t seem to be of the Achilles’ tendon or plantar fascia type.

I’ve recommended lace locking before on here so I’m becoming a broken record on that but it can really save your feet and help your shoes fit better. It uses the second hole further back on the top of the shoe to hold your foot back in the shoe. That way you’re heel stays in contact with the back of the shoe and your feet are less likely to slide forward. If you’re not already doing it check out This short video on how to do it! There have been other threads on here that detail many other lacing techniques that may be useful as well :)

Also while in Logrono if you‘re feeling better check out Roots wine bar for some awesome tapas. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a winemaker in Rioja.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Two years later, walking through again, I purposefully spent an extra day in Estella and did all the above again, and more, even though I didn’t need to. For me, it’s location makes it the place my body stops to “gas up” before continuing.

I think it might just be the distance from SJPDP when things start to fall apart. I too had issues (that had been building up) in Estella.
Walking into Estella with my knee hurting, and the next day absolutely hobbling into Los Arcos. I used pack transport, and a knee brace, and it came right.

Wear the compression socks while walking and afterward. Your legs and feet will heal more quickly. Drink more water. If you can find pail and some ice, soak your feet in ice water to reduce the swelling. Find a store, I know there is one in Logrona, that sells hiking sandals. I bought mine there in '18.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m another member of the hurting-in-Estella club. I had a bad cold and spent a few days in an Airbnb right on the main street that I loved. It was definitely the case for me that after starting in SJPP, things were falling apart.

My daughter had a nasty cold in Estella …
I got bed-bug-bitten …
but it’s such a lovely place … really worth spending a few days there ..

My daughter had a nasty cold in Estella …
I got bed-bug-bitten …
but it’s such a lovely place … really worth spending a few days there ..
We’re a special group, aren’t we? 😇 🤣

Being sick, I didn’t get to see much of the place, but my poor dear husband apparently walked ‘round and ‘round. I actually had more than a cold; I was having trouble with my lungs, and I remember whenever I did venture out, it seemed like it was full of hills. Hills in every direction … mountains, really. I expect to be back there next week as I restart that disastrous camino in Pamplona. I wonder if Estella will seem flatter. I hope so.

We’re a special group, aren’t we? 😇 🤣

Being sick, I didn’t get to see much of the place, but my poor dear husband apparently walked ‘round and ‘round. I actually had more than a cold; I was having trouble with my lungs, and I remember whenever I did venture out, it seemed like it was full of hills. Hills in every direction … mountains, really. I expect to be back there next week as I restart that disastrous camino in Pamplona. I wonder if Estella will seem flatter. I hope so.

I’ll look out for your posts … 😉

I didn’t really notice the hilly aspect … although I can remember that there were hilly streets … but it wasn’t me with the UR tract infection 😕

Have a wonderful, bug-free (of all varieties!), camino …
may the sun shine on you, gently …

Bless hope you start feeling alot better on your feet soon .I had to return home from Leon for a week after having a swollen calf muscle .After arriving back on the trail I have now got an irritating issue with my knee but still on course to be in Santiago on Tuesday

“What is it about Estella?”

It has nothing whatsoever to do with Estella. It has to do with the ascent over the Pyrenees, the descent into Roncevalles, the hard downhill to Zubiri, and the tough downhill with rolling boulders under your feet descending from Alto de Perdon! Those are the testing grounds. That is what we read about when we read on the forum about pilgrims flying home injured after 5 days on the Camino. That is where we repeatedly see the delineation between those with 50-100 hours of boots/socks on the ground training on different terrain, and those who say they don’t understand what went wrong because they got their boots in the mail 4 days before they left and they did two 10km hikes in them. The difference between a successful Camino and one that finds you on a flight home within a week, can be as simple as getting your kit, and testing your kit in real life scenarios, before heading out. Most of the early problems are entirely preventable. Having said that, it is obviously too late to bring that up now. So the next best recommendation is to see someone who can help you, whether it be a physician, podiatrist, or physiotherapist, rest for a bit, follow their advice, take it slow on the restart. I sincerely hope you get to experience “The Freedom to Continue” which was a piece of graffiti I encountered shortly after leaving Burgos. It meant so much to me. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I agree with several previous posts - Estella hits the sweet spot distance wise of that first week from SJPdP. Do not deny yourself the chance to take a well deserved rest. You want to enjoy Los Arcos and Logrono when you arrive, not just hobble in and see a doctor.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with Estella. It has to do with the ascent over the Pyrenees, the descent into Roncevalles, the hard downhill to Zubiri, and the tough downhill with rolling boulders under your feet descending from Alto de Perdon! Those are the testing grounds. That is what we read about when we read on the forum about pilgrims flying home injured after 5 days on the Camino. That is where we repeatedly see the delineation between those with 50-100 hours of boots/socks on the ground training on different terrain, and those who say they don’t understand what went wrong because they got their boots in the mail 4 days before they left and they did two 10km hikes in them. The difference between a successful Camino and one that finds you on a flight home within a week, can be as simple as getting your kit, and testing your kit in real life scenarios, before heading out. Most of the early problems are entirely preventable. Having said that, it is obviously too late to bring that up now. So the next best recommendation is to see someone who can help you, whether it be a physician, podiatrist, or physiotherapist, rest for a bit, follow their advice, take it slow on the restart. I sincerely hope you get to experience “The Freedom to Continue” which was a piece of graffiti I encountered shortly after leaving Burgos. It meant so much to me. Buen Camino!
The Camino Frances I have found out is not easy at all ..the body takes so much battering and at times one does not want to get out of bed wherever they may be staying .
I found day 1 2 and 4 was the beginning of my issues and when I got into Leon I been walking on a swollen left calf muscle for over a week , it was then I decided to go back to the UK for 7 days recovery before arriving back last Friday
I am in Sarria for the night now but this time with an issues with my right knee which has swollen up and with the climb out of Las Herrerias yesterday , it was the worst day so far on the camino .
Expect more injuries and count it a blessing if you don't get any , remember the reason why you came on the camino in the first place ..
Buen Camino

The Lone Peaks are great for their width but their padding leaves a bit to be desired. With the blackened toenail I think your shoes are likely too small for the swelling or your feet are sliding forward during down hill stretches and you’re smashing your toes into the front of the shoe. If you do look for other shoes the Altra Olympus has a lot more padding and has become one of their best selling shoes. As someone else said the zero drop of Altras can be challenging for some if they are new to flat shoes but your symptoms don’t seem to be of the Achilles’ tendon or plantar fascia type.

I’ve recommended lace locking before on here so I’m becoming a broken record on that but it can really save your feet and help your shoes fit better. It uses the second hole further back on the top of the shoe to hold your foot back in the shoe. That way you’re heel stays in contact with the back of the shoe and your feet are less likely to slide forward. If you’re not already doing it check out This short video on how to do it! There have been other threads on here that detail many other lacing techniques that may be useful as well :)

Also while in Logrono if you‘re feeling better check out Roots wine bar for some awesome tapas. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a winemaker in Rioja.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
where is roots i'm in logrono:) doing a lot better will start walking again on sunday

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

please dont assume re folks training and gear. some of us have different issues

That is where we repeatedly see the delineation between those with 50-100 hours of boots/socks on the ground training on different terrain, and those who say they don’t understand what went wrong because they got their boots in the mail 4 days before they left and they did two 10km hikes in them. The difference between a successful Camino and one that finds you on a flight home within a week, can be as simple as getting your kit, and testing your kit in real life scenarios, before heading out. Most
There is some truth in this generalization and there are undoubtedly lessons to be learned. However, maybe it belongs as advice for prospective pilgrims - say, in a thread about training - rather than on a "Live from the Camino" thread.

I’m sorry to hear about your issues, just something I learned during my Caminos, hydration hydration hydration, if you think you had enough water drink some more. I’m not diagnosing your issues but painful and swallowing feet it’s a big sign of dehydration.

Last edited:

There is a Decathlon on the left, up the hill on the way out, which may have something to help you. Did anyone mention to drink lots of water? 😇 Stay safe.

When you recommence walking my advice from my own experience is do not have your boots too night and the most important thing is every time you stop take your boots and socks off, you will be shocked how much better your feet feel when you start walking again. If you have a pole rest it over your boots and use it has drying line to put your stamp socks on .

I'd just like to mention because I haven't see it here to avoid sugar in your food and drinks. Consuming sugar makes my feet swell worse than anything!

Before you drink "masses of water" as recommended by others, check with a medical professional. All that water has to go somewhere, and it often ends up as water retained in tissue; in other words, excessive water intake results in swollen feet.

That's what my doctor told me while I was on the camino and experiencing swollen feet. Her recommendation was to cut back on water (drink only when I was thirsty) and stop adding electrolytes. The swelling was gone in a day or two.

Before you drink "masses of water" as recommended by others, check with a medical professional. All that water has to go somewhere, and it often ends up as water retained in tissue; in other words, excessive water intake results in swollen feet.

I have always just drunk water when I got thirsty, and on the Camino that usually means that many people will be telling me I am at risk of dehydration unless I drink before I get thirsty. Though I am not an evolutionary biologist, that just never made sense to me. If we had to drink before we got thirsty, wouldn‘t humans have died out from dehydration? In the days before doctors, fitness experts, and online advice, no one would know about the theory that you should drink before you body tells you to drink. My totally non-scientific attitude is that just like hunger tells you when you should eat, thirst tells you when you should drink.

I’ve never gone with the “thirst preemption” scheme, but I do recognize that on caminos where water supply is not always guaranteed at regular intervals, it is good to drink when you see a source because you may not have access when you’re thirsty.

Buen camino, Laurie

I have always just drunk water when I got thirsty, and on the Camino that usually means that many people will be telling me I am at risk of dehydration unless I drink before I get thirsty. Though I am not an evolutionary biologist, that just never made sense to me. If we had to drink before we got thirsty, wouldn‘t humans have died out from dehydration? In the days before doctors, fitness experts, and online advice, no one would know about the theory that you should drink before you body tells you to drink. My totally non-scientific attitude is that just like hunger tells you when you should eat, thirst tells you when you should drink.

I’ve never gone with the “thirst preemption” scheme, but I do recognize that on caminos where water supply is not always guaranteed at regular intervals, it is good to drink when you see a source because you may not have access when you’re thirsty.

Buen camino, Laurie
My husband drinks about twice as much water as recommended and in combination with some of his medications that put him in the hospital once and another time made his potassium dangerously low causing him to have severe leg cramps and the potential for a heart arhythmia. I drink too little because I don't want to be looking for a place to go the bathroom. In general, I think it is a good idea to know your own age, health conditions, and medications you may take as they may also play a role in water needs/consumption. Some medications can cause a reaction in the sun. No matter how healthy and strong you think you are it is good to know your body and limitations. Some people have a blunted sense of thirst and hunger as they age. As a fellow pilgrim, I try to look out for others and if I see someone who is looking near an injury or problem stop and offer them salted nuts, water, or even offer to sit or walk with them or help them get a cab.

I have watched your thread carefully to see what the results are/were. So far nada, that answer might help other pilgrims who find themselves in similar situations. I have suffered from swollen legs as well and told to hydrate and eat chips. Several years ago I found myself diagnosed with low sodium and spent several days in hospital on a drip. I had no idea that low sodium could be a kiiler.

Buen camino, Laurie
I was reporting what I was told by a junior doctor on the meseta ages later because like you I had read that the water thing was overblown and I hardly bothered on the descent to Pamplona, sticking to coffee, beer and wine. It was hot too. I guess if you're starting to swell then that says something.

No matter how healthy and strong you think you are it is good to know your body and limitations. Some people have a blunted sense of thirst and hunger as they age.
This is fabulous, sensible advice, Drinking too much seems to be as possibly bad as drinking too little. The “rules of thumb” are clearly too broad and general to be helpful for any individual with particular circumstances, medications, or health conditions.

Good luck as you move forward @peregrin peregrina. I do agree with @Keith H about the Altras. I've used them for the Frances and Le Puy routes and love the width they provide but I did use an arch support for added support. I also found the zero drop problematic (moreso with a pack on my back), so please consider that as you move onward. (and I vote against the Altra Olympus, as the added cushion is not a panacea for all feet and bodies -- so definitely listen to your gut). And definitely elevate those legs every day for added health -- a generally good recommendation for all hikers! Good luck and buen camino~

Buen camino, Laurie
Henry the (actual) dog is unencumbered by well-meaning advice. He will not drink until he is thirsty; and no amount of encouragement will change that. When thirsty he drinks all the water available - often two pints or more in one go. It seems to work for him - but he has no concept of ‘future’, and if something goes wrong he just looks at me as if it’s my problem.

On Camino I tend to fully hydrate before setting out - which can create its own problems if it’s a few miles until open country - and then just drink when I feel like it.

If running in the hills I maintain a decent level of hydration with added electrolytes.

Dehydration can result in all kinds of issues - it’s a contributing factor to hypothermia amongst other things.

Wh

What you need is a rest day and a 30 min cold water soak . There is a lot of minor tissue damage if they are that swollen. Then go slow in sandals after your rest

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Elevate, elevate! And do not put compression socks onto lowered feet--roll down the sock, raise your leg and roll the sock onto your foot and up your leg.

Good luck as you move forward @peregrin peregrina. I do agree with @Keith H about the Altras. I've used them for the Frances and Le Puy routes and love the width they provide but I did use an arch support for added support. I also found the zero drop problematic (moreso with a pack on my back), so please consider that as you move onward. (and I vote against the Altra Olympus, as the added cushion is not a panacea for all feet and bodies -- so definitely listen to your gut). And definitely elevate those legs every day for added health -- a generally good recommendation for all hikers! Good luck and buen camino~
thanks :). my altras have ended up on a trash can at a rest stop and a gave snother pilgrrom some sandals i had. my only footwear right now is the keen newport h2 which i already know and love- awesome change- feeling great! so fun to be walking again:). just taking it slow and resting a lot/drinking (water) i can do this !! thx again for all the help!

That's what my doctor told me while I was on the camino and experiencing swollen feet. Her recommendation was to cut back on water (drink only when I was thirsty) and stop adding electrolytes. The swelling was gone in a day or two.
You add excellent points to this thread regarding excessive water and salt intake, and the suggestion that there are multiple causes of swollen feet.that are not benign. Excessive water intake can lead to hyponatremia, a condition that is associated with confusion and other cognitive changes. Saw that in patients in the hospital but not in any distressed pilgrims, thankfully. Thirst is a friend.

thanks :). my altras have ended up on a trash can at a rest stop and a gave snother pilgrrom some sandals i had. my only footwear right now is the keen newport h2 which i already know and love- awesome change- feeling great! so fun to be walking again:). just taking it slow and resting a lot/drinking (water) i can do this !! thx again for all the help!
Great to hear you’re on the move again… Keen Newport’s are the best! Happy Walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Glad to hear you are on your way again! Take care. You have had a true Camino experience with your helper in Estella...
thank you for all this forum is so helpful! there have been so many incredible happenings of kindness - too much to write!...later :). in Navarrete right now - fantastic little town and all are out celebrating the holiday - what a joyous beautiful time- friends i thought were long gone have miraculously reappeared too -hurray! :)

friends i thought were long gone have miraculously reappeared too -hurray
Seriously? How good is that!!
It's great to read you're comfortably on your way again with the feet out of prison. It is a delicious feeling.
Wonderful.
Buen camino @peregrin peregrina - May the feet stay happy, and all be well!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The owner's 18 year old daughter helped me for many hours this afternoon acting as my translator. I met her on the street when she saw I needed help and was looking for the Hospital. she came on the bus with me and stayed while I had x-rays and then at the end she called her mom, the owner of Simona's pizza, to drive me all the way back to my albergue in rush-hour traffic. I told her that I would tell other peregrinos to order pizza there! they would not accept any money or anything in exchange from me-beautiful people - camino angels!
A6E6BBB6-7B49-4057-AFC2-A8644D195C63.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.