• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SxxT Happens - May need to Postpone

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
A bit of perspective/background. I run my own business, with about 50 staff, and some would call me a workaholic. 80-90 hour weeks are not uncommon. Maybe I'm just not very good at it :(

Thoughts of our next Camino keep me going...............

So.......Bit of bad news over the weekend. Long story cut short.

Seems our largest client in my business (represents 30% of our business) has behaved in such a way that we may need to let them go.
(They have behaved in such a way that it compromises our core 'non negotiable' values)
Still to meet with them Monday but looking that way.

As the main 'rain maker' I'll need to find another major client fast, to keep everyone in the business fed......it will take 5-6 months of hard work (harder work)

Other words come to mind..............but for now, I'll stick with 'Bother' :eek::eek:

But having walked 2 Caminos already, I am looking at this philosophically.

1. I can't possible leave my team to fix this without me. So the decision is made for me anyway. No need to stress about it.
  2. The Camino will be there another time.
  3. We'll just need to wait another 12 months (as late April is our preferred time)
  4. And maybe, just maybe, someone 'up there' is telling me now is not the right time to walk again. Just not yet....

Maybe. slim chance. I can turn it around on Monday. Otherwise we'll just wait to join the class of 2019.

I have to say when I got the news yesterday, I felt like I was just about to finish a marathon, with the tape in sight, and the prize being our next Camino....................only to be told..............go around again Robo................you need to go around again first ! :(:(

So OK........ Let's go around again first........... We can do this.

Note Added later. For those who are perhaps planning to walk their first Camino and suffer a setback. Don't despair, maybe your time is just not right yet......... It's waiting for you.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Such is life, mate. We all have had set backs for personal and medical reasons and somehow survived to do our next Camino.

Very true.

I really only posted it for those who have yet to walk a Camino, who might suffer a setback.
i.e. The Camino is still out there waiting for you...............

Prior to my first Camino I probably would have not been so philosophical about it ;)

One of the great Camino lessons I have learnt I guess.

(Note added to original post)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Robo
My like is not a like. It is my comment that I think I understand. My camino is not going to happen this year, either. All my planning must be picked up another time. Right now, you are sounding like Sisyphus, pushing that rock up that hill one more time (though not for his reason). Take care of yourself, so you will be fit to go when the time is right. Blessings,
Mary Louise

@Robo
My like is not a like. It is my comment that I think I understand. My camino is not going to happen this year, either. All my planning must be picked up another time. Right now, you are sounding like Sisyphus, pushing that rock up that hill one more time (though not for his reason). Take care of yourself, so you will be fit to go when the time is right. Blessings,
Mary Louise

Sorry to hear of your setback too Mary Louise.
We'll have to make our next one even more awesome to compensate for the extended wait ;)

I hadn't read that story of Sisyphus. Very appropriate! :oops:

Sorry to hear of your set back. I’m sure you will get your business where it needs to be and of course the Camino will wait for you. I have heard the Camino provides so I am sure it will, in this case, provide you exactly the kind of client you need for your business. Btw Good on your for not compromising your principles

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to hear of your set back. I’m sure you will get your business where it needs to be and of course the Camino will wait for you. I have heard the Camino provides so I am sure it will, in this case, provide you exactly the kind of client you need for your business. Btw Good on your for not compromising your principles

Oh I see you're going soon. That's great. Buen Camino :):):)

@Robo, I feel very disappointed for you, even though you are taking the high road with such a great attitude. You have been planning for months, asking questions, and sharing your own insights... down to every last "jot and tittle". I know the Camino waits for you, but I still have sorrow for your loss. Hopefully things will turn around quickly in your business, and hey, going in the fall could be a nice option as many have loved that time of year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We'll get there Chris. We'll get there.
Maybe the man upstairs is trying to tell me something?
Like............you said you were going to lose 10 kgs before this next one...........and you haven't yet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If the Camino has taught me one thing. It's look for the good in everything ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry to hear of your dilemma, as they say" one door closes and another one opens". I'm a great believer that things happen for a reason and this year for you is not to be. I've had to delay this year because of family, but I'm continuing to plan for the VDLP early next year.
Chin up Robo it will come soon enough, just remember "What's for you won't go by you"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Robo, your post is timely. I planned to walk in May but must postpone my trip. My reservations must be changed but one of them is non-refundable, non-transferable . . . I pay whether I use it or not. The confirmation email from Booking.com is perfectly clear - I just wish I'd noticed that warning BEFORE clicking (too soon old, too late smart). Hope your business prospers and your camino is a joy. Take good care . . . .

Otherwise we'll just wait to join the class of 2019.
Note Added later. For those who are perhaps planning to walk their first Camino and suffer a setback. Don't despair, maybe your time is just not right yet......... It's waiting for you.
Congratulation for your attitude... I would be very, very disappointed if I had to delay my first Camino, even if it would not help anything.

I like this one very much:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

But I think sometimes it can be so difficult to feel "right"...
but you seem to be rather close to it.

Maybe. slim chance. I can turn it around on Monday. Otherwise we'll just wait to join the class of 2019.

Good luck for Monday!

If you cannot turn it on Monday, good luck for your hard work... that you succeed faster than you think by now.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Not good. I thought "Good luck!" and I had hoped for a "Yippie...." after Monday.

As the main 'rain maker' I'll need to find another major client fast, to keep everyone in the business fed......it will take 5-6 months of hard work (harder work)

So good luck with the 'rain making'. Hopefully you find the client faster than you think by now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh.
Gee, Plan B...
I'm very sorry to read this Rob. You and Pat will fall on your feet...but still.
Well, your equanimity is wonderful. And yes...who knows?

Meanwhile...how did it go yesterday?

Before I much planned first Camino in Sept 2013 my life was soooo nearly cut short on a French motorway when my bike crashed in rush hour,nobody who witnessed this can explain how i survived but hey ho was not my time for the afterlife nor the Camino.The Camino has been waiting for me every year since,as it is for you Roberto :)

Meanwhile...how did it go yesterday?
An unhappy client who has been chastised, but not lost...yet.
Will let things settle a week or two before we decide on the Camino Go/No Go
I'll gauge how comfortable my team are before making the final decision.

If we can't go, it will be there next year ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Before I much planned first Camino in Sept 2013 my life was soooo nearly cut short on a French motorway when my bike crashed in rush hour,nobody who witnessed this can explain how i survived but hey ho was not my time for the afterlife nor the Camino.The Camino has been waiting for me every year since,as it is for you Roberto :)

Wow. Lucky guy.

I do realise my reason for potential postponement is really quite trivial compared to some :oops::oops:

@Robo, I know this is a potentially huge disappointment, but as you say, the Camino helps you to put it in perspective. One of my first thoughts on reading your post was that I am always totally in awe of people who have the character traits that lead them to start their own businesses. I'm one of those uncreative and unimaginative people for whom "work" means "getting a paycheck from someone else." Not all people in your situation would worry so much about the others who depend on you, so you get a bunch of stars for being such a good employer. Surely that counts for a lot in Santiago's book. Hoping it all resolves well, but you seem to have made your peace with the possibilities. Thanks for sharing this on the forum, and know that lots of us are pulling for you, Laurie

@Robo you are an inspiration to us all. We are always harping on to our kids about being people of integrity no matter what the cost. You have provided a real life example - which is a rare gift.
Thank you.

I am glad you have Camino under your belt to know it will always be there
Glad you have established a business that protects its core values, which includes the well being of employees
Glad to see you verbalize the thoughts ( when I see my own thoughts in writing it helps solidify them)
Glad to see another workaholic who can still prioritize needs and balance with the Camino

I am glad you have Camino under your belt to know it will always be there
Glad you have established a business that protects its core values, which includes the well being of employees
Glad to see you verbalize the thoughts ( when I see my own thoughts in writing it helps solidify them)
Glad to see another workaholic who can still prioritize needs and balance with the Camino

Funny, I think that's why I like to blog and do videos :oops::oops:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Feeling under the weather so NOT starting a camino from Ferrol today! So a weekend coughing and sneezing in Miño instead. Then a couple of daysin Ferrol. So what happens? I meet a Camino girl on train from A Coruña who was born 39 miles from me. Then another caminante guy in a bar in Miño who is from Lebanon and is at Uni in Ferrol. So that's Monday evening sorted then!

Feeling under the weather so NOT starting a camino from Ferrol today! So a weekend coughing and sneezing in Miño instead. Then a couple of daysin Ferrol. So what happens? I meet a Camino girl on train from A Coruña who was born 39 miles from me. Then another caminante guy in a bar in Miño who is from Lebanon and is at Uni in Ferrol. So that's Monday evening sorted then!
Feel better soon. How luck you are to meet some new members to your camino family ...Camino awaits. Buen Camino

A bit of perspective/background. I run my own business, with about 50 staff, and some would call me a workaholic. 80-90 hour weeks are not uncommon. Maybe I'm just not very good at it :(

Thoughts of our next Camino keep me going...............

So.......Bit of bad news over the weekend. Long story cut short.

Seems our largest client in my business (represents 30% of our business) has behaved in such a way that we may need to let them go.
(They have behaved in such a way that it compromises our core 'non negotiable' values)
Still to meet with them Monday but looking that way.

Other words come to mind..............but for now, I'll stick with 'Bother' :eek::eek:

But having walked 2 Caminos already, I am looking at this philosophically.

1. I can't possible leave my team to fix this without me. So the decision is made for me anyway. No need to stress about it.
  2. The Camino will be there another time.
  3. We'll just need to wait another 12 months (as late April is our preferred time)
  4. And maybe, just maybe, someone 'up there' is telling me now is not the right time to walk again. Just not yet....

I have to say when I got the news yesterday, I felt like I was just about to finish a marathon, with the tape in sight, and the prize being our next Camino....................only to be told..............go around again Robo................you need to go around again first ! :(:(

So OK........ Let's go around again first........... We can do this.

So disappointing for you, hope it all comes right soon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Robo,

This issue is in my wheelhouse and I am happy to speak with you, get a better handle on the details and perhaps provide some options. If this is a long time Client, a bit of a training session may straighten out the problems for you, but not the usual kind of training, more like training lions and tigers for a three ring circus. Have you ever handled whips and chairs? LOL. Another option is to place the responsibility on key employees, making certain that all employees know that the company needs a new Customer to ensure job stability. Get them out there fighting for their jobs, and livelihoods.

PM me direct your phone number and a good time to connect and I am happy to call. My phone is free anyway.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Catching up after some time away from the forum. Read this thread with bated breath. So pleased to hear you are still able to go.
Buen camino to you and Pat and give Yaying a hug from me when you meet up with her.

Catching up after some time away from the forum. Read this thread with bated breath. So pleased to hear you are still able to go.
Buen camino to you and Pat and give Yaying a hug from me when you meet up with her.
@yaying is walking this year?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very true.

I really only posted it for those who have yet to walk a Camino, who might suffer a setback.
i.e. The Camino is still out there waiting for you...............

Prior to my first Camino I probably would have not been so philosophical about it ;)

One of the great Camino lessons I have learnt I guess.

(Note added to original post)
Life often flows in the direction right for you, thank you, I had to cancel first a months trek through Mont Blanc, Italy and Spain due to an invasive cancer!! Survived, 2 years later planned to walk the beautiful Camino, however once again canceled to be with my son and daughter in law through a heroing journey of a genetic disorder that their baby may have!! All is well, I'm alive and my grandson is well and beautiful!! Now the time is right, I plan to leave in a month and feel fantastic!! No compromise!! How could u possibly enjoy such a spiritual walk knowing you are needed!! My respects, see you on the Camino

Catching up...And I am very happy for you and Pat to read that it's definitely a 'go!'
Yay. :)
Buen Camino
to you both!

Now it's 'Oh Heck' in 3 weeks we head up the Hill from St Jean :eek::eek:

Daily walks and last minute dieting.......check....
Cortisone injections for plantaar (Pat), achilles (me) booked.........check....
Gear strrewn across dining table for last minute weigh-in and 'is it essential' debate........check
French SIM cards arrived and working.........check
Spanish SIM cards, though paid for........not arrived.........never mind

Houston...........we are now entering the 'just let it go' zone........
Camino is approaching and all control will soon be lost and plans out the window.......
Prepare to go with the flow come what may.................CHECK ;);)

Roger that, @Robo, stand by to let go.
:eek: ----->:cool:

What a super post, Rob. :D
In three weeks, you'll fall right back into the routine - and it may even feel like you never left.
Just another walking day...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back