• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Synchronicity

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
Synchronicity

Since my first post on June 1st 2019, announcing that my 20 year dream of doing the Camino Frances was actually happening this spring, I’ve been busier than ever in my preparations. Having read hundreds more posts on this forum, researching equipment at great length and spending countless hours on Amazon and the internet reading equipment reviews while also watching Youtube videos ad nauseum it is time to LET GO! Now that the “packing” part of planning is 95% done, I’ve started training (with minor setbacks).

…and this is where the synchronicity started to manifest itself. Just around Xmas time, I was walking on a nearby nature trail with my pack. With fresh, pristine snow on the ground and birds chirping in the mild afternoon, my feet, body and spirit were feeling, for the first time, like they were already on the Camino. Having not seen a single soul two hours into my walk, I see a couple in their late thirties snowshoeing towards me. The man had a daypack and here I was with a much bigger pack. “I’m just training for the Camino de Santiago” I felt compelled to say, pointing at my pack. He replied: “Oh, I have a couple of friends who did that and it was quite the experience for them.”, she chimed in “What an adventure for you.” Don’t know why I opened up to complete strangers but I replied: “It will for sure, but I’m going for spiritual reasons. I’ve been in and out with my faith for too long and it bothers me. I’m hoping to reconnect on the Camino.” We introduced ourselves. He said: “Where are you now with your faith, in or out”. I replied: “Mostly out”. She asked if it would be Ok with me if they prayed for me to have an encounter with God while I’m doing the pilgrimage and I replied, of course. He then asks: “Would you like to pray now.” And so, holding hands in a circle on this magical trail he said the most beautiful prayer as I silently wept. We hugged goodbye and went our separate ways. I continued walking, not seeing anyone else all the way home. This experience has profoundly affected me.

On this forum, I read the photo essay from @hdduff “Wonders and Wanders Along the Way – A Camino Photo Essay.” Her profile said she lived in Valencia, Spain. In her essay she talks about doing a summer Camino event in her hometown…What!!! That’s my hometown. I PM’d her to tell her how much I was enjoying her writing style and photos and that it was such a small small world. She wrote back and advised she was actually in town visiting her family for the holidays and would I like to meet up for coffee. My jaw dropped…are you kidding me??!! We met and talked away the afternoon as time stood still. What are the chances?!

Last November I had been looking at medallions of Saint-Christopher and thought it would make me feel safe being away from home for so long and what can I say, it talked to me. I did not buy it then and returned only a few weeks ago to look at two different ones they had. The salesperson was a young, congenial man who took them out of the display so I could see and touch them. I asked about the chain length etc. Still on the fence about buying it, I said I would think about it and thanked him for his time and help. I asked him what his name was, as his name tag was hidden by his jacket lapel. He turned it around…”Christopher”. I took it as a definite sign and bought the medallion.

Not feeling worthy (as a non-practicing Catholic) to wear a cross with my medallion, my sister said in the most heartfelt way: “Of course you are worthy to wear the cross, we all are”. So this weekend I bought a small cross in Ottawa (visiting family) and I asked the sales lady her name. “My name is April.” When I was booking my trip and trying to figure out all the details of how much time I would give myself, unbeknownst to me of when Holy Week would be this year, my pilgrimage starts in SJPdP on Palm Sunday.

I do not believe in coincidences. Life and the universe have so many ways of showing us “The Way” and too often we don’t listen, or for that matter, even hear the messages. We are surrounded by so much noise. Many of us like myself, wrapped up in way too busy lives with responsibilities that cannot be ignored. We run around hoping for a little bit of “me” time and as we get older, wonder and question many things about the past and what the future holds for us. I’m now in the last third of my life and there are past choices I need to forgive myself (whilst forgiving others has always been easier).

To all those who are as yet undecided, who are nervous or worry about the details and planning, if the Camino calls you or there are signs that lead you there – please listen to your heart. Time is not waiting for us, it goes on. Be the wings your spirit deserves…and soar!

Feeling blessed and grateful,

Danielle

PS I did book my albergues for the first week up to Easter Sunday ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Synchronicity

Since my first post on June 1st 2019, announcing that my 20 year dream of doing the Camino Frances was actually happening this spring, I’ve been busier than ever in my preparations. Having read hundreds more posts on this forum, researching equipment at great length and spending countless hours on Amazon and the internet reading equipment reviews while also watching Youtube videos ad nauseum it is time to LET GO! Now that the “packing” part of planning is 95% done, I’ve started training (with minor setbacks).

…and this is where the synchronicity started to manifest itself. Just around Xmas time, I was walking on a nearby nature trail with my pack. With fresh, pristine snow on the ground and birds chirping in the mild afternoon, my feet, body and spirit were feeling, for the first time, like they were already on the Camino. Having not seen a single soul two hours into my walk, I see a couple in their late thirties snowshoeing towards me. The man had a daypack and here I was with a much bigger pack. “I’m just training for the Camino de Santiago” I felt compelled to say, pointing at my pack. He replied: “Oh, I have a couple of friends who did that and it was quite the experience for them.”, she chimed in “What an adventure for you.” Don’t know why I opened up to complete strangers but I replied: “It will for sure, but I’m going for spiritual reasons. I’ve been in and out with my faith for too long and it bothers me. I’m hoping to reconnect on the Camino.” We introduced ourselves. He said: “Where are you now with your faith, in or out”. I replied: “Mostly out”. She asked if it would be Ok with me if they prayed for me to have an encounter with God while I’m doing the pilgrimage and I replied, of course. He then asks: “Would you like to pray now.” And so, holding hands in a circle on this magical trail he said the most beautiful prayer as I silently wept. We hugged goodbye and went our separate ways. I continued walking, not seeing anyone else all the way home. This experience has profoundly affected me.

On this forum, I read the photo essay from @hdduff “Wonders and Wanders Along the Way – A Camino Photo Essay.” Her profile said she lived in Valencia, Spain. In her essay she talks about doing a summer Camino event in her hometown…What!!! That’s my hometown. I PM’d her to tell her how much I was enjoying her writing style and photos and that it was such a small small world. She wrote back and advised she was actually in town visiting her family for the holidays and would I like to meet up for coffee. My jaw dropped…are you kidding me??!! We met and talked away the afternoon as time stood still. What are the chances?!

Last November I had been looking at medallions of Saint-Christopher and thought it would make me feel safe being away from home for so long and what can I say, it talked to me. I did not buy it then and returned only a few weeks ago to look at two different ones they had. The salesperson was a young, congenial man who took them out of the display so I could see and touch them. I asked about the chain length etc. Still on the fence about buying it, I said I would think about it and thanked him for his time and help. I asked him what his name was, as his name tag was hidden by his jacket lapel. He turned it around…”Christopher”. I took it as a definite sign and bought the medallion.

Not feeling worthy (as a non-practicing Catholic) to wear a cross with my medallion, my sister said in the most heartfelt way: “Of course you are worthy to wear the cross, we all are”. So this weekend I bought a small cross in Ottawa (visiting family) and I asked the sales lady her name. “My name is April.” When I was booking my trip and trying to figure out all the details of how much time I would give myself, unbeknownst to me of when Holy Week would be this year, my pilgrimage starts in SJPdP on Palm Sunday.

I do not believe in coincidences. Life and the universe have so many ways of showing us “The Way” and too often we don’t listen, or for that matter, even hear the messages. We are surrounded by so much noise. Many of us like myself, wrapped up in way too busy lives with responsibilities that cannot be ignored. We run around hoping for a little bit of “me” time and as we get older, wonder and question many things about the past and what the future holds for us. I’m now in the last third of my life and there are past choices I need to forgive myself (whilst forgiving others has always been easier).

To all those who are as yet undecided, who are nervous or worry about the details and planning, if the Camino calls you or there are signs that lead you there – please listen to your heart. Time is not waiting for us, it goes on. Be the wings your spirit deserves…and soar!

Feeling blessed and grateful,

Danielle

PS I did book my albergues for the first week up to Easter Sunday ;)
Lovely narration! It really connected with me. Thank you. And I am curious why you wanted to book accommodation that first week.

Lovely narration! It really connected with me. Thank you. And I am curious why you wanted to book accommodation that first week.
Thank you :). Because "Semana Santa" in Spain is a big event. Spain is approximately 94% Catholic and so many Spaniards and other pilgrims will be on the Camino at that time in those cities/towns we pass through that first week. Also from reading many postings on this forum from SJPdP to Pamplona or next town over can be quite busy at any given time. I wanted my first week, as I acclimate myself to walking long distances daily, to be worry free regarding accommodation so I can focus on the joyful experience of just "being" there.

Thank you :). Because "Semana Santa" in Spain is a big event. Spain is approximately 94% Catholic and so many Spaniards and other pilgrims will be on the Camino at that time in those cities/towns we pass through that first week. Also from reading many postings on this forum from SJPdP to Pamplona or next town over can be quite busy at any given time. I wanted my first week, as I acclimate myself to walking long distances daily, to be worry free regarding accommodation so I can focus on the joyful experience of just "being" there.
Roman Catholic 67.8%, atheist 9.1%, other 2.2%, non-believer 18.4%, unspecified 2.5% so much lower than you think

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Such inspiring stories and so beautifully expressed as well. I still have chills after reading about the chance encounter on the trail. Do you believe in angels? I do! And your story about the experience when you purchased the Saint Christopher (to whom I pray every night) medallion moved me as well. You are indeed blessed and know as you take each and every step along the Way, God will be with you. So wear that cross proudly. You never know when and where you may experience a theophany!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Such inspiring stories and so beautifully expressed as well. I still have chills after reading about the chance encounter on the trail. Do you believe in angels? I do! And your story about the experience when you purchased the Saint Christopher (to whom I pray every night) medallion moved me as well. You are indeed blessed and know as you take each and every step along the Way, God will be with you. So wear that cross proudly. You never know when and where you may experience a theophany!
Thank you 🙏. Yes, I do believe in angels. I intend to let my feet and soul take me on this journey without expectations. My heart is open to whatever happens.

This is so beautifully written, Danielle! I completely agree that we're so often ignorant or unaware of the messages the universe is sharing.

One of my memorable moments along the Camino was a sharing circle that happened at the Albergue de la Santa Cruz in Sahagún. A Marist Brother working there, Bernard, said that for many the Camino is about discovering something within yourself. But just as much, he said we need to have the courage to look up and greet the revelations that are right there in front of us. I loved this —the need to be introspective but also aware of our surroundings. My most valuable Camino reflections came through conversations or thoughts introduced by others.

Wise!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back