• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

T Shirts

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there! The equipment list suggests two t shirts. Presumably, these are the main walking shirts? So are people using ordinary cotton t-shirts? Or some special wicking material?

Now doesn't cotton take forever to dry after washing? And doesn't the sweat just cling to the fabric for hours while walking, causing chafing?

So people are not wearing long sleeve breathable shirts for hiking? The long sleeves can protect against sun and against some chafing of pack straps.

Or do people use those sun sleeves?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm coming from Florida where conditions are very different. I wouldn't recommend wearing a short sleeve cotton t shirt here in spring for all day walking or activity in sun. In summer you shouldn't be doing all day activities outdoors.

What are the conditions on the Camino Frances that cause people to suggest (cotton) T shirts? Can that really be true?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you search the forum for packing lists you will see that people specifically advise against cotton for exactly the reasons you mention. For T-shirt read short sleeve top or shirt, not a usual cotton one. Mostly people divide into two camps: technical wicking materials are cheap and fast drying, merino is more expensive and naturally non-stink. Some wear long sleeve shirts or sleeves for protection from the sun, while others prefer suncream. And quite a few these days walk with umbrellas attached to their packs.

We all have our own choice. Mine is to wear a synthetic lightweight long-sleeved top. They wick away sweat on hot days but can get wet on my back due to the pack, even though it has an air space. I also push the sleeves up for a while when I want to.

I just carry one spare top so I can wash one every day when I have finished walking and they wash and dry very easily.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you search the forum for packing lists you will see that people specifically advise against cotton for exactly the reasons you mention. For T-shirt read short sleeve top or shirt, not a usual cotton one. Mostly people divide into two camps: technical wicking materials are cheap and fast drying, merino is more expensive and naturally non-stink. Some wear long sleeve shirts or sleeves for protection from the sun, while others prefer suncream. And quite a few these days walk with umbrellas attached to their packs.

Thank you, great info.

I decided to bring wool T-shirts. I know this sounds insane when it will get very hot in June! Based on all of my research, I went on ebay and bought two Ice Breaker T-shirts. (They are super expensive ($80-100), but I got them for a fraction of the cost.)

They are very lightweight, thin soft material, wicking, quick-dry and, important, are much less "odiferous" !

The Smartwool 1/4 zips are also great!

Buen Camino

Sue

I decided to bring wool T-shirts. I know this sounds insane when it will get very hot in June! Based on all of my research, I went on ebay and bought two Ice Breaker T-shirts. (They are super expensive ($80-100), but I got them for a fraction of the cost.)

They are very lightweight, thin soft material, wicking, quick-dry and, important, are much less "odiferous" !

The Smartwool 1/4 zips are also great!

Buen Camino

Sue

Yeh, I'm in Florida and wool impresses me also. It really holds up to the elements. Regarding the t-shirts though, have you been hiking with them in high temperatures? How are they working out?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been walking in Icebreaker and Devold merino T-shirts as well as long sleeved shirts for years and they are really good. They seem to wick and cool in the heat and keep me warm when it's chilly, and under the pertex wind jacket they are as insulating as a fleece. Also they wear and wash well, dry quickly and don't itch or smell. I can certainly recommend them.

Haven't been in high temps with them, but trust the sage wisdom of all the peregrinos who recommended them. I have hiked extensively with the poly props/synthetic, and they fumigate, for sure!
I prefer natural fibers.

I have been walking in Icebreaker and Devold merino T-shirts as well as long sleeved shirts for years and they are really good. They seem to wick and cool in the heat and keep me warm when it's chilly, and under the pertex wind jacket they are as insulating as a fleece. Also they wear and wash well, dry quickly and don't itch or smell. I can certainly recommend them.

Thanks for responding, but I didn't quite understand. What temperature range are you hiking in when you wear merino wool?

You have been hiking in wool on the Camino in spring, like May and June?

Or do you mean you have been wearing wool and hiking in Norway and the UK?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@CaminoJoy123 - I have walked the Camino Frances, mostly Astorga-Santiago, several times in spring and autumn when the temps would vary from chilly down towards 0C in the morning to nearer 30C in the middle of the day. All in merino. Start with short sleeve plus long sleeve over it, with a merino buff around the neck, plus windbreaker etc, and peel off the layers as it warms up. Never had a problem with it. I also have Devold long and short sleeve tops with mesh back to reduce sweating and improve wicking, which is really great for hot temps. I would wear it in summer as well rather than the (eventually) smelly tech stuff. I also walked in a sunprotective lightweight shirt for four weeks on the CF in August to avoid a sunburn, specifically in a heatwave across the meseta, and would wear one again - only this time with a merino top underneath to avoid any chafing.

@CaminoJoy123 - I have walked the Camino Frances, mostly Astorga-Santiago, several times in spring and autumn when the temps would vary from chilly down towards 0C in the morning to nearer 30C in the middle of the day. All in merino. Start with short sleeve plus long sleeve over it, with a merino buff around the neck, plus windbreaker etc, and peel off the layers as it warms up. Never had a problem with it. I also have Devold long and short sleeve tops with mesh back to reduce sweating and improve wicking, which is really great for hot temps. I would wear it in summer as well rather than the (eventually) smelly tech stuff. I also walked in a sunprotective lightweight shirt for four weeks on the CF in August to avoid a sunburn, specifically in a heatwave across the meseta, and would wear one again - only this time with a merino top underneath to avoid any chafing.

Thank you for these details, I appreciate it.

I walked last August and September in temps up to 95 F/35 C in lightweight merino wool. It was the perfect fabric for the heat. Merino wool t shirt fabric looks and feels like any other t shirt fabric. It's not bulky sweater fabric.

Last edited:
I walked last August and September in temps up to 95 F/35 C in lightweight merino wool. It was the perfect fabric for the heat. Merino wool t shirt fabric looks and feels like any other thing shirt fabric. It's not bulky sweater fabric.

Thanks, that's really great information. The heat wave was 95F last summer? That's dangerous.

I'm glad you and the shirt both made it!

Ordinarily, I use three Underarmour Polo, short-sleeved shirts. The polo collar helps shade and warm my neck as needed. However, this year, I traded out two of the three polos I bring for two Ex-Officio short-sleeved tee shirts with crew necks. One is black and the other grey.

The material is synthetic and matches my boxer shorts, though not the color. The material is very well ventilated and dries VERY fast. The weave is opaque enough to cover my unsightly bits, but dark enough to be reasonably stylish when worn with my cargo hiking pants. The wave is very open to ventilation.

My reason for the recent change to my "standard load" was first to reduce weight by a few hundred grams. EVERY gram counts. But then, when I considered the likely weather for my upcoming Camino from Lisbon starting 27 April, I determined that it was better to wear something that would be cooler. I can always put on my long sleeve microfiber pullover or my rain parka...

The three outfits are worn thusly:
  • One set is on ME, and will be hand-washed this evening...
  • One set was hand-washed last evening, and should, but may not be fully dry
  • One set was washed two days ago and IS fully dry, that set is worn tomorrow.
The rotation continues daily...

There are some who make do with only two changes of outer shirt, undergarments, and socks. The one being worn, plus one change. I understand this "going commando." It does assume being able to wash and fully dry the off-set each evening.

But, if you encounter a day of solid rain and you cannot get washed clothing fully dry, you will appreciate the extra change of clothing. All in, each of my days' change of clothing (tee shirt, boxers, two pair socks) weighs about 500 grams.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
I walked last August and September in temps up to 95 F/35 C in lightweight merino wool. It was the perfect fabric for the heat. Merino wool t shirt fabric looks and feels like any other t shirt fabric. It's not bulky sweater fabric.

I had the same experience a year earlier in September 2015 on the Francés. 94 degrees on some days and lightweight Merino wool T-shirts were perfect. I also use sun sleeves for protection from the sun as well as added warmth on the days where there was frost in the early mornings.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

does the merino have a fiber measurement or something? how do you know which one is lightweight?

Cotton takes too long to dry and sucks to wear when it rains and it's heavier. I would avoid it.
Synthetic tech clothing works great, or for a few bucks more go the Merino route.
I do the synthetic tech route because I always end up throwing most of my stuff away in Santiago.
ultreia

does the merino have a fiber measurement or something? how do you know which one is lightweight?

Manufacturers list their shirts in a manner that suggests usage such as light weight, mid weight, heavy weight or base layer, mid layer, expedition etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Manufacturers list their shirts in a manner that suggests usage such as light weight, mid weight, heavy weight or base layer, mid layer, expedition etc.

I'm not sure, but I think for smartwool, it's the 150 that is lightest. That feels very scratchy and cheap to my skin. The cut and shape of the neckline seems thoughtless. Label says made in China. (Love the smartwool socks though)

Forgot to say the 150 lightweight t shirts are sold out through Amazon and other places.

Actually I'm not sure of the difference between lightweight and ultra lightweight

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ordinarily, I use three Underarmour Polo, short-sleeved shirts. The polo collar helps shade and warm my neck as needed. However, this year, I traded our two of the three polos I bring for two Ex-Officio short-sleeved tee shirts with crew necks. One is black and the other grey.

The material is synthetic and matches my boxer shorts, though not color. The material is very well ventilated and dries VERY fast. The weave is opaque enough to cover my unsightly bits, but dark enough to be reasonably stylish when worn with my cargo hiking pants. The wave is very open to ventilation.

My reason for the recent change to my "standard load" was first to reduce weight by a few hundred grams. EVERY gram counts. But then, when I considered the likely weather for my upcoming Camino from Lisbon starting 27 April, I determined that it was better to wear something that would be cooler. I can always put on my long sleeve microfiber pullover or my rain parka...

The three outfits are worn thusly:
  • One set is on ME, and will be hand-washed this evening...
  • One set was hand-washed last evening, and should, but may not be fully dry
  • One set was washed two days ago and IS fully dry, that set is worn tomorrow.
The rotation continues daily...

There are some who make do with only two changes of outer shirt, undergarments, and socks. The one being worn, plus one change. I understand this "going commando." It does assume being able to wash and fully dry the off-set each evening.

But, if you encounter a day of solid rain and you cannot get washed clothing fully dry, you will appreciate the extra change of clothing. All in, each of my days' change of clothing (tee shirt, boxers, two pair socks) weighs about 500 grams.

I hope this helps someone.

Great info. Yes I like the Underarmour brand too. But for me it doesn't wick so well.

Ex Officio is great for shaving grams off your pack weight. But do you think the material really holds up?

Hi there! The equipment list suggests two t shirts. Presumably, these are the main walking shirts? So are people using ordinary cotton t-shirts? Or some special wicking material?

Now doesn't cotton take forever to dry after washing? And doesn't the sweat just cling to the fabric for hours while walking, causing chafing?

So people are not wearing long sleeve breathable shirts for hiking? The long sleeves can protect against sun and against some chafing of pack straps.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm coming from Florida where conditions are very different. I wouldn't recommend wearing a short sleeve cotton t shirt here in spring for all day walking or activity in sun. In summer you shouldn't be doing all day activities outdoors.

What are the conditions on the Camino Frances that cause people to suggest (cotton) T shirts? Can that really be true?
Because I sweat a lot no matter what the weather is like the choice for me is easy. In cold weather I use tech stuff and in hot weather I wear 100% cotton T-shirt because it dries much slower and the sweat captured in it cools me down ;)

I am taking two shirts, both long-sleeved. The first is a merino wool lightweight, which can be worn by itself and also serve as an effective base layer. https://www.rei.com/product/112041/smartwool-merino-150-crew-long-sleeve-base-layer-top-mens

The second is a long-sleeved shirt designed as an outer which can, again, be worn by itself. https://www.rei.com/product/862927/rei-co-op-sahara-tech-long-sleeve-shirt-mens

Both shirts can roll up their sleeves, and are very comfortable in both hot and cool conditions. Merino wool is very wicking, and doesn't become stinky, even after a few days of use without washing. The links I provided are not a specific endorsement, they are a visual picture of products which are available from different companies and manufacturers.

I have successfully used these two types of shirts as the basis of a layering system for weather that is both hot and cool during thousands of miles of ultralight backpacking. :) Add a lightweight wind-shell or rain jacket, and a lightweight fleece or puffy jacket and you will be comfortable through a very wide range of temperatures.

I'm not sure, but I think for smartwool, it's the 150 that is lightest. That feels very scratchy and cheap to my skin. The cut and shape of the neckline seems thoughtless. Label says made in China. (Love the smartwool socks though)

Forgot to say the 150 lightweight t shirts are sold out through Amazon and other places.

Actually I'm not sure of the difference between lightweight and ultra lightweight

I wore Icebreaker ultralight 150 t-shirts on Camino in spring 2015, we had some pretty hot days (and I've hiked in them here in summer) and they were great. I took long sleeves for colder days, but spent most of the time in short sleeves. I did sweat (of course) but felt much more comfortable than I do in synthetics. And truly no stink! A slightly damp wool smell at most. Didn't find them scratchy at all. The necklines were fine, one was a v-neck and the other crew, both neatly finished. I wore the men's t-shirts as I prefer the looser fit (the women's always seem very close-fitting). Icebreaker are expensive I know, even here in NZ, but to some extent I guess you get what you pay for. And I'm lucky to live close to one of their outlet stores!

For our next Camino we're starting early September when I'm expecting it to be hotter, and I'll be taking a long-sleeved hiking shirt to protect my arms against the sun. Not sure how long that will last because long sleeves annoy me in hot weather - I may just go back to the short-sleeved merino plus sunscreen.

I wore Icebreaker ultralight 150 t-shirts on Camino in spring 2015, we had some pretty hot days (and I've hiked in them here in summer) and they were great. I took long sleeves for colder days, but spent most of the time in short sleeves. I did sweat (of course) but felt much more comfortable than I do in synthetics. And truly no stink! A slightly damp wool smell at most. Didn't find them scratchy at all. The necklines were fine, one was a v-neck and the other crew, both neatly finished. I wore the men's t-shirts as I prefer the looser fit (the women's always seem very close-fitting). Icebreaker are expensive I know, even here in NZ, but to some extent I guess you get what you pay for. And I'm lucky to live close to one of their outlet stores!

For our next Camino we're starting early September when I'm expecting it to be hotter, and I'll be taking a long-sleeved hiking shirt to protect my arms against the sun. Not sure how long that will last because long sleeves annoy me in hot weather - I may just go back to the short-sleeved merino plus sunscreen.

The one thing about long sleeves or detached sun sleeves is that they keep they cut down on the heat from the sun as it hits the skin. Sunscreen won't do that. Keeping the sun from hitting the skin actually makes the hot sun far more tolerable. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one thing about long sleeves or detached sun sleeves is that they keep they cut down on the heat from the sun as it hits the skin. Sunscreen won't do that. Keeping the sun from hitting the skin actually makes the hot sun far more tolerable. :)

Yes, I know you're right. It's just I have this compulsive urge to push up my sleeves! I'll try to resist.... (also looking at featherlight long-sleeved merino, although more push-up-able than a buttoned cuff!)

Yes, I know you're right. It's just I have this compulsive urge to push up my sleeves! I'll try to resist.... (also looking at featherlight long-sleeved merino, although more push-up-able than a buttoned cuff!)

Try lightweight baggy sleeves. Like a hat, the baggy sleeves put air space between you and the sun :)

I don't know why but sun sleeves made my arms feel cooler when it was hot out. They also made my arms feel warmer when worn under a long sleeve shirt.

I don't know if the question about two t-shirts was answered yet. One reason for two is you need to have something to wear when you are washing the rest of your clothes.

The equipment list suggests two t shirts.

What other shirt layers are on this equipment list, and when are you walking?

You are going to wear only one t-shirt at a time, so why would you need two? Well, you might want to wash it at the end of the day. Look at your other clothes and decide what you will wear while that shirt is drying. Maybe you'll have a long-sleeved sun shirt that you can wear because it doesn't need washing every day. Maybe you will wear whatever shirt is intended for evenings and sleeping. Is a second t-shirt really the best alternative? Keep in mind that is the weather is so hot that a second t-shirt seems necessary, your washed shirt will dry in an hour and you can put it back on.

I recently walked, starting every morning with a merino wool tank top as base layer, a long-sleeved synthetic shirt over it, and a button-up sun shirt on top. When I warmed up after an hour or two, I stopped and removed the middle layer. In the evenings I put on a long-sleeved merino layer that I slept in, or I put on the middle layer by itself. I had a light fleece for additional warmth in the evenings. I did not have any t-shirt. However, I would consider taking one (merino or synthetic) during warmer weather for the afternoons relaxing under a patio umbrella, mainly because I don't like the tank top on me as a fashion statement!

It is easier to write "two t-shirts" on a list than it is to explain the more complex thought process!

I don't know why but sun sleeves made my arms feel cooler when it was hot out. They also made my arms feel warmer when worn under a long sleeve shirt.
That effect was discovered long time ago among Sahara desert tribes (Tuaregs, Beduins etc.) for example. Works fine in extremes.

Last edited:
I think everyone is different.
DH has eczema and can't wear tech gear next to his skin. He can't wear wool in summer because he'd sweat to death so he wears 100% cotton t-shirt and a tech overshirt for the sun (I think his arms must be toughened against the tech material). He sweats a lot and will wash clothes every day. He has an icebreaker t-shirt but he can't wear it in the heat because he finds it itchy. Even in winter he ends up wearing a single under the icebreaker because he can't stand the itch.

I can't wear icebreaker t-shirts at any time of the year because I find them itchy (love smartwool socks though, anytime of year). I wear tech t-shirts and a collared long sleeved cotton overshirt for the sun and to stop the backpack straps scraping my neck.

I guess we much just be sensitive souls!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked in June-July 2015 during the heatwave that hit Spain. My favourite shirt was my Montane Bionic Tshirt which was made of Merino Perform Thermoknit (Merino wool & Polyester). Went from 12 to 35 deg C easily. They have stopped making the Bionics :( which had this great grid shaped knit and weighed 135g. Not sure if the replacement is as good. I also had an Adidas thin running shirt which was too thin to withstand the rubbing from the pack straps and it became the candidate for burning at Finisterre especially as it was white. I also had a long sleeved Kathmandu lightweight merino base layer which I never walked in but used in the albergue. I had a variety of potential tshirts at home and polyester by itself pongs.
The days it was cooler I used my lightweight windjacket over my Tshirt. That was rare though.

Great info. Yes I like the Underarmour brand too. But for me it doesn't wick so well.

Ex Officio is great for shaving grams off your pack weight. But do you think the material really holds up?

My boxers, worn daily in rotation, have lasted going on eight years in some cases. Microfiber polo or tee shirts, when worn on Camino do tend to "pil" or fray where the rucksack shoulder straps rub my "belly." This has been a problem with Underarmour (expensive) and Champion (less expensive) brand microfiber shirts I have worn on Camino. One brand was not better or worse than the other. But, based on price, the Champion shirts offered better wear for money spent.

The piling or fraying is less noticeable on lighter colors. But after maybe two month-long Caminos, the shirts are ready to go.

I do not know how the Ex-Officio tee shirts will hold up yet. One presumes they will pil too eventually. But these tee shirts have been in my chest of drawers for years. They still fit, are suitable to purpose, and neutral in color, so they get to go this time. We will see.

For women, there are a lot of options if you shop in your local Target or Wal Mart, where they carry the Champion C9 logo active wear items. They are good value for money and do not cost too much. It is just a thought. Also, I was just at my local BJs warehouse club this morning, they had inexpensive short sleeve, breathable, microfiber, tee-shirts that appeared well made and suitable to purpose for a Camino. I do not happen to need more stuff, so I did not buy anything extra to carry.

My gear is ready to go to the airport tomorrow morning...:)

I hope this helps.

One more note:
Prior to trying, grudgingly, Merino wool shirts, I thought they would be as itchy as any other wool product, and be extremely hot to wear when it was warm or hot out. To the contrary, just as had been reported by many backpackers, not only was there no itching (because of Merino's differing structure from other wools), I also found it to be more breathable and great at wicking sweat compared to synthetics I used. Plus, as I said earlier, when washing was scarce, the Merino wool shirts didn't develop the hideous stink that the synthetics did. Just saying.... :)

Yeup, everybody is different. Temps in the 60sF is sweltering hot for me. I can't wear Merino shirts when it's that hot. Period. I wear either Nylon hiking shirts with convertible sleeves (go up to the bicep) and also wear Tech T-shirts from REI. Every major brand makes wicking material t-shirts. I don't have a problem with stinky shirts. But hubby does. It doesn't really matter. Just no cotton. Never cotton. Ever.
If it's in the 80's you will see me with a sleeveless shirt :)
I wear sunscreen and don't burn easily so it's not an issue for me.

I also highly recommend ExOfficio underwear. Here's my packing list. I leave in 2 weeks and I'm doing the Primitivo where the temps are in the 70s right now: http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/packing-camino-de-santiago/

Disclosure: I live in Alaska. My idea of hot and cold is drastically different from 90% of the rest of this forum.

I understand this "going commando."

Many do not know that the term comes from special forces, aka "commando" units (British, Australian, US, etc.) operating in the jungles of southeast Asia and the western Pacific from the 1930's through the 1960's. At the time, undergarments were made of cotton which readily absorbs, and then holds, moisture. In tropical conditions this quickly caused raging fungal infections (including warm-water immersion foot) that often proved difficult/impossible to treat. For them, going without underwear and socks was simply a matter of basic hygiene/survival.

Don't know that this applies to the Camino, exactly. But it is always an available choice.

But, based on price, the Champion shirts offered better wear for money spent.

In my former profession we called this "value" -- simply put, it's a function-based measure that considers the performance you get versus the amount you pay. For example, if the studied function is "timekeeping", a Timex watch is a better value than a Rolex watch. (Yes, Rolex outperforms Timex in other functions, such as "display wealth" "demonstrate success", etc. ;))

I agree: Champion shirts are high-value items. I have several and wore them to the gym, when cycling, etc. I got mine at Target stores.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also highly recommend ExOfficio underwear. Here's my packing list. I leave in 2 weeks and I'm doing the Primitivo where the temps are in the 70s right now: http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/packing-camino-de-santiago/

Disclosure: I live in Alaska. My idea of hot and cold is drastically different from 90% of the rest of this forum.

Even though you're from Alaska, you wear Ex Officio underwear and not merino wool? You mean on Camino? When you're hiking in Alaska you wear merino undies right?

Even though you're from Alaska, you wear Ex Officio underwear and not merino wool? You mean on Camino? When you're hiking in Alaska you wear merino undies right?
Never wear merino undies. Occasionally might wear a light weight merino LS shirt if the temps are in the 30sF. But backpacking in the Spring, summer, Fall in Alaska-No wool. It's too hot. Just wear a medium weight synthetic puffy or fleece in the evenings. But not for walking.
I just did a 7 mile hike this weekend with a 14lb pack and all I wore was a t-shirt and light weight nylon pants. No wool. Temps were in the 40s F. I was very hot.

I even scuba dive in the winter without wool :) Synthetic heavy undergarment and drysuit.

Edited to add: I do have fleece gloves and beanie for the evenings in Alaska.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Were you in direct sunlight most of the time?
Not really. partly sunny but mostly covered by the shadow of the mountain and the trees. Several inches of snow still covering most of the trail.

My heretical view: cotton is fine on the CF, especially when it's hot (but not the normal cotton t-shirts), with one caveat: one set of cotton, one set of quick-drying nylon.

The first time on a pilgrimage (CF, July 2014), I took my trusty mountain shirts. No cotton, for all of the hypothermia and drying reasons. Other than the mountains on both ends, this arrangement was unnecessarily hot (and that matters, because then the feet sweat, which leads to blisters).

Second pilgrimage (in Italy, Florence to Assisi, July 2015--very, very hot. Not recommended), I had one pair of cotton clothes (LL Bean long-sleeve cotton quick-dry shirt, Kuhl Kontra Air pants) and one pair of the quick dry. Much better. No problem getting these type of clothes to dry in the heat.

Then against, my own advice, on my second CF (Sept-Oct. 2016) I took all nylon again because I thought it would be cooler temperatures in the fall. It was not, especially for the first half. My wife actually ended up buying a linen shirt in Logrono because the nylon was causing her to overheat. I didn't, but only because finding anything to fit me in Spain is an exercise in futility. It never was so cold that she could not wear that shirt, and she wore it all the way to SdC.

Note, neither my wife nor I can wear merino wool (too itchy) so I cannot comment on that option.

YMMV, but that is my experience.
Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I agree: used appropriately, cotton is by no means the demon that some folks proclaim it to be.

Now, to be sure, wet cotton offers no insulation from the cold. It does, however, make the most of one's perspiration in hot/dry conditions....!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked with my wife, daughter & Goddaughter in June/July 2016.

I wore only lightweight Merino wool shirts. I had 3. 1 long sleeve and 2 short sleeve.

The females in the group mostly wore synthetic. Our Goddaughter, against our advice, brought a cotton sweatshirt, it was great insulation for her in the cool early mornings before the sun warmed up but it was difficult to dry and didn't get washed often enough.

The synthetics and the Merino were washed daily and dried easily over night. The Merino had the added advantage of not being 'funky' smelling when wet with perspiration, which is a major problem with synthetics.

I have worn extremely lightweight Merino wool. It wicks well, dries very quickly, and does not require daily washing.

While I didn't cycle the Camino, I noticed that the cyclists wore lightweight shirts. You might look into those.

Buen Camino!

You can make your custom shirt at : " RafTshirt.com " . They have good prices, I made mine there it was awsYou can make your custom shirt at : " RafTshirt.com " . They have good prices, I made mine there it was awsome

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Took two short sleeve, and two long sleeve Reebok synthetic T Shirts. Were great and all I needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.