• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

T2 diabetes - Anyone walked with this?

annelise

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
I have walked before and wish to return. But I have since been diagnosed with T2 which I control well with diet and no meds or insulin yet.

But I remember the very carby (but lovely) meals I had at the time. So I now wonder whether you – as a type 2 – have been able to 'walk off' the usual Spanish carb load to compensate for the intake of carbs – and still having good numbers? – and not experiencing hypos or hypers in the process?

I would be glad to hear of your experience and of any strategies you may have had.

annelise

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes in 2012 and walked my first Camino Frances in Nov13.

I did suffer a couple of hypo moments on first day from SJPP but responded with emergency chocolate.

I found myself desperate for sugar at various times. Resisted frequently, succumbed occasionally. But I did get through it.

I am not normally into salads but found myself desperate for healthy food, rather than the typical pilgrim menu and endless bread. So I did search out tomato salads and bean soups wherever possible.

As I got more used to the walking, I was able to leave behind the "emergency Fanta" and used the Acquarius soft drink. Still had some sugar but better by far than Fanta or Kas local equivalent.

Next time I aim to eat more rice and looking to cook it in thermos. Also looking to use more electrolyte replacement as I found I needed more than just water to manage my energy and morale. There were definitely times when my perseverance was challenged by low blood sugar, typically when not eating regularly and skipping breakfast through not being organised. Eventually I recognised that I needed a much better breakfast than typically available in cafe, so attempted to buy from shop night before and make something better than a pastry or a teeny sliver of ham in huge chunk of bread.

Much though I love Spain, it's culture, people and food, I came to despair of the bocadillo - what a culinary disaster !!

I continued to take tablets throughout. I didn't need insulin injections.

Unless you are quite high on blood sugar levels, you shouldn't have many problems with managing your T2 diabetes with some simple diet management. But don't trivialise or ignore it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I have had type 2 for over15 years. Have walked literally thousands of miles all over the world with no problems at all - even the outback in Australia by myself where I never saw anyone for weeks on end.
Never had a problem apart from carrying the huge amount of medication that I need. Suggest that you bring it into Spain in its original packaging and then repackage it when you get there to reduce the bulk. Also bring a list of prescriptions, medicine is easily available in Spain at low cost and usually over the counter.

Also regular exercise reduces the medication you require so suggest you take a blood monitoring kit.

Finally when I go off in the wilderness now I now take a PLB for absolute emergencies, but the cameo is well walked so suggest that its not needed. I am not going to take one when I do my cameo in July.

Eat regularly, do not skip meals and everything will be fine. Any problems then just ask around the other walkers as bound to be lots of people with same condition.

Enjoy :)

I was a 54yr old a type 2 diabetic - overweight and on medication (metformin and glicizide) - when I walked the camino frances last year. I found that the amount of physical exercise I was doing on a daily basis allowed me to eat and drink whatever I liked - mostly bocadillos, tortillas and pilgrim menus, accompanied with numerous cafe con leches, large beers and half/full bottles of red wine - and still record my best blood sugar readings for a good few years. I lost a fair amount of weight as well, which meant I arrived home in far better shape (except for a problem knee) than when I left the UK seven weeks earlier. I did find myself hitting "a wall" a few times, but I didn't experience any classic hypo symptoms; it was more a case of walking slower and slower, with more frequent rest stops whenever this happened. On the first occasion - just before reaching the high point of the vancarlos route close to Ronscevalles, I was given a barley sugar sweet by a kind Australian and this did wonders for me. Take a few high sugar sweets as emergency back-up and I'd like to think you'll be fine, too.
Buen Camino.

My husband-type 2,and I-type 1, walked SJPDP to Santiago last sept. I agree with Sheffield James, for husband, the walking covered the carbs and he had his best A1c in years! For me, not so lucky. No significant lows though, just trouble carb counting. There were plenty of markets so we always had some fruit or a nutrition bar just in case. In all, it was such a wonderful experience we can't wait to plan another.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking the Camino with type 2 diabetes is very doable. Walked the Camino last year Sept and as you might know the food and carbs along the way is very tempting. As the saying goes " all in moderation" Keep tabs on your sugar and when ever in doubt test and if necessary take a glucose sweet. Had one low on the whole walk otherwise all was well. Do the walk and enjoy !
Remember we all react differently to different food.

Buen Camino

Diagnosed type 2 12 years ago, good control, usual meds: Glucophage etc, took up hiking 8 years ago, St Jean to Santiago in 2013 in 21 days, averaging 38 kms daily, shortest day 22 km, longest day 49 kms, not a problem from start to finish but do spend time peaking fitness levels before such demanding days. My best guestimate was I was burning 5,000 to 5,500 calories daily and as I drink alcohol very sparingly I could eat freely from whatever was available.
Best suggestion is to do a test regularly after finishing your long training walks and get a feel for what your sugars are likely to be at their lowest and eat accordingly.

Buen camino

Seamus

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.