• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tablet for a Newbie?

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
Hello All,
I am contemplating purchasing a tablet for the first time. I have walked previous Caminos without a Smart phone or any other electronic devices. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions in terms of a practical/easy to use model for use on the Camino (or things to avoid when I make this purchase)? Any suggestions would be most welcome!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Depends on what you need the tablet for?
I have resisted carrying a tablet (bulky and heavy) and so far the smartphone works much better, best if it's 5.5 inch.
Alarm, camera, offline maps (MAPS.ME) with local SIM/GPS and route overlay so I won't get lost and if I stray off, able to get back to the route further down the path without having to backtrack, ebook reader (occasions when I am not too tired to read), whatsapp or any internet chat to communicate with those back home, blogging with pictures via mobile internet (SIM), booking.com app (for those places in more remote Caminos without albergue to book a hostal in advance, airline app so I can check-in in advance, Camino doc/pdf route guide (a summarized paper format in case I lost the use of the phone), some news app (only if there is wifi as they can get data hungry).

Only one device to charge daily. Always inside the waistband (fanny pack) right in front. Easier to check location, listen to music (only with earbud for safety), etc.

Samsung Tab A with 8 inch screen for me. Really thin and light. Under $200 dollars. Great GPS and long lasting battery. Great screen size for reading books, maps, editing photos, facebook, emails etc. I have a 200gb SD card so I can download all my photos as well as maps.me and Google maps for offline use with kml waymarks. I even have a few movies for on the plane or waiting in the airport use.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have used a samsung Note for the last 4 years. I bought a Samsung Note 3 first and upgraded it to a Note 4 2 years ago. It's a little bigger than a smartphone but smaller than a tablet... it worked great for all the reasons above.

I wanted to upgrade again recently as I dropped mine and I couldn't justify the cost of the newer models so I bought a Samsung S7 instead. I miss the size of the phablet (Note) but the S7 is an excellent smartphone.

The next time I upgrade I will go definitely back to my phablet size smartphone, I miss it and as it was just perfect for me :)

I used an I-pad mini with an Orange sim card. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it again. It is light, takes great pix, with Skype and headphones it can be used to call for accommodation reservations, Face Time for checking in with family, a good size for reading maps or E-books.

I brought a cheap kindle fire tablet on my first Camino. Barely used it, as my phone could do everything I needed. Didn't bring it on my second Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also prefer a smartphone to a tablet. However, my wife loves her iPad Mini and takes it everywhere. iPads are more expensive than many other tablet options but they are more reliable than many and considered more intuitive / easy to use by some people. Most people who have iPads really like (or love them), that includes myself, my parents, neighbors, etc.

Please remember that only iPads with Wifi and Cellular capability have GPS functionality. GPS capability is important (to me anyway) because it allows automatic Geotagging of photos, positioning yourself on maps, enabling many features in apps, etc. The only iPad Mini with Wifi and Cellular currently being sold by Apple directly has a huge amount of storage (128GB) and is $529 USD. There are rumors of a possibility of a new Mini being announced in June (it would have a faster processor and there would probably be a couple of configurations), but there are also rumors they might kill the Mini off.

¡Buen Camino!

My iphone can do everything a tablet can, except for shorter battery life. I'm debating bringing the tablet for more robust functionality vs just the iphone for less weight (but less functionality on some apps).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Samsung Tab A with 8 inch screen for me. Really thin and light. Under $200 dollars. Great GPS and long lasting battery. Great screen size for reading books, maps, editing photos, facebook, emails etc. I have a 200gb SD card so I can download all my photos as well as maps.me and Google maps for offline use with kml waymarks. I even have a few movies for on the plane or waiting in the airport use.[/QUOTEuh
Agree with everything you said.

My iphone can do everything a tablet can, except for shorter battery life. I'm debating bringing the tablet for more robust functionality vs just the iphone for less weight (but less functionality on some apps).
If you carry an external battery pack (for emergency extra life) and your iPhone you will probably carry less weight than a tablet. Plus the iPhone probably (depending on models of iPhone and tablet) has a better camera and is easier to access (in a pocket, etc.). Even though I have both, I would always choose a decent smartphone for traveling. ¡Buen Camino!

I took my Samsung Tab S2 and loved having it. Lightweight at 272g and thin. I put a thin screen protector on it and kept it in a ziplock bag rather than in a case to save weight. I could use it through the ziplock bag, which protected it when wet. It fit nicely in my waist pack and was SO much easier to read than my phone. I had a photocopy of the guidebook on it, so didn't need the book. I also carried some Camino ebooks on it for further references. Would absolutely take it again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am another Kindle Fire fan. I have found them to be durable and easy to use, and inexpensive, which I find important because it seems all electronic devices these days are all but disposable. I don't want to carry anything that if gets stolen or broken will cost more than my airline tickets to replace. Besides, they are just not that important to me, or that much of a part of my life.
I carry the tablet when I travel in a neoprene sleeve. I only carried once once on the Camino because when I finished I continued traveling going to Asia and the tablet was great to have for making airline and hotel reservations. Just easier to use and I accepted the extra weight of it for the assistance it gave me later.

Thanks to all for your insights and suggestions. I have thus far resisted the temptation of purchasing a Smart phone so had been considering buying an inexpensive tablet for use on the Camino. Thanks to the comments and suggestions offered, I now have some food for thought when I go out to look at potential devices for purchase. Your responses are appreciated!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Always consider the size and weight to applicability ratio;
Will you use a tablet to write a diary and edit picture, and would this be done with a fairly good smartphone.
after my first camino, I have left my compact camera at home as the extra charger and line would weigh me down.

@lindam , thanks for the question

My preferences include:
1) when typing up my notes (or blog) being able see a large part of what I have just written;
2) when looking at a map being able to see the big picture (eg the destination for today) while examining the area around me in some detail;
3) the mobile screen screen NOT cluttered with a key board;
4) reading guide at a reasonable font size;
5) included a phone, so only one device is carried.

So, a large screen is indicated
And a seperate keyboard.

Other, harder to explain, preferences led me away from Apple devices.

After a search I focussed on the Samsung TAB S2 with keyboard, cover and 10" screen. The major drawback was its weight at nearly 1 kg. But is served me well on my training trips and then over close to 2,500 km walking in France, Spain and the UK.

Three months ago I purchased the Samsung TAB S3. It weighs 700 gram including keyboard and 10" screen. And it is so much easier for me to use when walking than its predecessor.

I carry it across my chest in a pouch slung between the shoulder straps, for easy access. Through regular use I can take out and return while underway.

Last edited:
On two Caminos I carried an ageing Nexus 7 together with a bluetooth keyboard to keep a blog up to date.
Weighs 490gms - pain in the tush.

nexus7.jpg

In future I'll stick with my Samsung phone - more than adequate eReader, camera, schedule etc.

JMO of course.

€83,-
iPad Mini 4 is a good bet. It's small and light and takes good video and photos. You should go for one with the option to use Cellular as that is the circuit that will also give you an accurate GPS location when you're lost in Spain ;-)

The variety and quality of apps on the Apple platform seems to be better than Android, at least for my purposes which include music-making and using electronic Camino guidebooks. The downside is it's a closed system and you pay a premium for the Apple name.

The Apple stuff is pretty tough though. My iPad mini has been on two Caminos with me already. Cheaper tablets may have more fragile screens. The iPad mini fits perfectly in a small Eastpack mini satchel that you can hang round you.

A second-hand ipad mini may be money better spent than a newer lower-quality brand. I'll throw it out there (and await the backlash ^^)

Also, I just want to say that you might think a tablet is a heavy luxury, but if you consider that it does the job of a good guidebook (Wise Pligrim app etc), camino novel and a diary (if you don't mind typing over writing), then you might actually end up saving weight ;-)

Also, I just want to say that you might think a tablet is a heavy luxury, but if you consider that it does the job of a good guidebook (Wise Pligrim app etc), camino novel and a diary (if you don't mind typing over writing), then you might actually end up saving weight ;-)
Except that my phone does all that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Except that my phone does all that.

Then you won't need a tablet :)

My phone is however too small to want to type for very long on it, whereas the tablet is more comfortable for both reading and typing.

Hello All,
I am contemplating purchasing a tablet for the first time. I have walked previous Caminos without a Smart phone or any other electronic devices. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions in terms of a practical/easy to use model for use on the Camino (or things to avoid when I make this purchase)? Any suggestions would be most welcome!

No electronic device needed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At post #17 above I should have said:

I scanned (for my use only) four guides. I could display these at an adequate size on the 10" screen.

I had maps (per OSMand+) for all the regions in the world I would travel in for walking and motors.

None of these added any weight.

I had a sim with a data plan. About 10 grams

My maths said I was winning on both the weight, readability and usability scales.

Kia kaha

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.