• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tablet, smart phone, paperback, or nothing

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Given the choices of electronic devices that we can use, I am curious to learn the following:

On your next camino would you simply take:

1. A good old fashion paperback guidebook?

2. An electronic version of the same guidebook that operates on your smart phone or tablet?

3. Go with neither (take neither a paperback guidebook or electronic version on mobile device)?

4. Something else?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm bringing my nexus 7 tablet, which I will use for my communicating, blogging, skype, etc.

I am taking the Brierley's guide. As far as I know, there is no digital version available. I may take a bible if I can find a Catholic one small and cheap enough. If not, I'll find a digital one for the tablet. Aside from a journal, those are the only books I'll be bringing.

I haven't decided on the phone yet. My smartphone doesn't work in Europe, so I'll have to buy a new one. I may end up just going with a super-cheap "dumb" phone instead of a smartphone.

Here's what I've taken on three trips now, and plan for the upcoming fourth:
a) Paper guide book (MMD in France, Outdoor series in Germany) usually only the necessary pages, pitching the used ones as I go
b) iPhone (camera, email, translator, dictionary, personal journal, blog poster, music)
c) Kindle (older lightweight big-battery version with a keyboard) (reading on long-haul flights, backup guidebooks and other regional information)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For a guidebook I want paper (#1) that I can hold, mark up, share, get wet, etc. However I will also take a smart phone/tablet and wouldn't mind having a back-up copy (#2) on it as well.

This is an interesting question. The first time I walked (VDLP), there was no guide of any kind available in English, so I walked with nothing. After all, everything I'd read ahead of time said you couldn't possibly get lost, because there were so many markers and pilgrims. Ha! In retrospect, those were comments pertaining to the Frances, not the lesser-known trails like the VDLP. I got lost every day.

Being a travel writer by profession, I returned, walked the whole thing again, and created an app guidebook for it. So part of me says definitely buy an app guide. They're great in that most people carry a phone for safety/communication anyway, so you're not adding bulk or weight. And anyone who has an app can update the info as they go along (noting, for instance, that a particular route now has a detour, or an albergue has closed), so they should be much more accurate than paper books. But they're not perfect. While you can view most of the info offline, you need the Internet to link to certain hotel/city/attraction websites. And some people just like the feel of paper. Someone said they like to jot notes down in their guidebook; you can jot notes down in the app or on your phone's Notebook function, but some people much prefer to grab pen and paper than type on a device.

In the end, it probably depends on what kind of a person you are. If you use a smartphone/tablet a lot in your present life, you'll probably like that best. If you don't, go with the book.

Melanie

I plan to take a lightweight paper guidebook. I may also take my tablet computer but I find guidebooks are best as paper...not dependent on batteries, can open / access quickly...can make notes easily, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked the Camino Frances in 2001 I intentionally left my mobile phone at home and took neither a guidebook nor map. The only thing I had was small list of villages and cities with the distances between them and the possibility of a refugio or not. I walked the entire 800km by simply following the yellow arrows, one after another. Before going to sleep at night I would go out and find the route for the next day so that I would know exactly where to go and not get lost in the dark at 6am.

It was a wonderful feeling of freedom, walking without knowing where one was going or what one was going to encounter and not being connected to the internet. I loved not having a phone.

jeff001 said:
I personally think it is a mistake to discard pages of a guide as you go. Keeping them gives you permanent reminder of what you saw and did.

I had read somewhere that I should do this, and so I did on my first camino. I have deeply regretted it since. It would have been such a tangible reminder of my notes and choices each day on that camino. I since have kept all pages of my guides on subsequent caminos.

lynne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i took an old,old i phone last year,i blogged my trip,added info to the camino app mentioned here,listened to music and was able to be found by my wife if needed.I never took a guide book, just the couple of sheets they give out in SJDPP . last month i got the bierley book....its ok.....it gave me many happy memories from last year, but not sure i'll take the book with me this summer.

not sure if it is the best app but i took the app from this site....over time the volume of info will increase as people contribute.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks everybody for your responses. Interesting range of opinions and thoughts about the topic

Clearly there is a shift towards people taking some electronic device (in many cases - a smart phone for example) but in some cases a tablet or something similar.

In the past five years since I first walked the Camino until now, there have been numerous changes in this area. It will be interesting to see how the next five years unfold.

Last edited:
jirit said:

2. An electronic version of the same guidebook that operates on your smart phone or tablet?

3. Go with neither (take neither a paperback guidebook or electronic version on mobile device)?

4. Something else?
I like to bring my (300 gram) tablet for blogging, staying in touch with friends and family and... reading e-books in the dark! Very handy when you share a room with others.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It took the Brierley guides on both the Frances and Portugese. I was able to find a plastic bag the book fit into perfectly that served as the book's "raincoat" when I carried it in a pants pocket on rainy days.

Personally I'd start at the other end. Are you taking a phone already? If so you aren't adding any much weight getting a smartphone instead of a dumb phone.

Given all the last minute changes that have been made due to my wife's knee issue, my iPad has been an ideal device to have.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am walking the le Puy route in August. I have scanned and saved in kindle the pages I need from MMD. Ill still have the book when I get home but won't have to bring it. One phone for all tasks!

I was initially considering paper guidebook only, but my family at home (spouse plus kids are 9 and 13) was not too thrilled with the idea of my taking no means of electronic communication. Now I am considering taking my Samsung Note II. The reason is that in one small and lightweight package it is: notebook, e-reader, GPS, camera and, if necessary - phone and internet. It has been a wonderful resource for other more ordinary, non-pilgrimmage/spirtitual travel. I understand that I will have to check with my carrier (AT&T) to unlock it and then likely get a Spanish SIM card. Has anybody else successfully used the Galaxy Note on the Camino? I can see the many benefits but I can also definitely see the spiritual and practical downside of taking technology.

I was initially considering paper guidebook only, but my family at home (spouse plus kids are 9 and 13) was not too thrilled with the idea of my taking no means of electronic communication. Now I am considering taking my Samsung Note II. The reason is that in one small and lightweight package it is: notebook, e-reader, GPS, camera and, if necessary - phone and internet. It has been a wonderful resource for other more ordinary, non-pilgrimmage/spirtitual travel. I understand that I will have to check with my carrier (AT&T) to unlock it and then likely get a Spanish SIM card. Has anybody else successfully used the Galaxy Note on the Camino? I can see the many benefits but I can also definitely see the spiritual and practical downside of taking technology.

I've twice taken a Galaxy S2 for exactly the reasons you say. Only downside is the screen eats battery. I bought an external battery which has been useful travelling.

As for spiritual downsides... it comes with an off button :) Plus missing a bus or getting stranded with a twisted ankle or missing an amazing sunrise photo may interfere with your siritual wellbeing more. I certainly wouldn't be without a means of emergency communication these days when it is so easy to take.

I just think if it wasn't a pilgrimage but just a tourist trek would you be as comfortable leaving a phone behind? Common sense doesnt stop applying because of motivation. I'd bet a mediaeval pilgrim, assuming they didn't run away screaming when they saw it, would be the first to pack a smartphone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you're taking a phone anyway, seems silly to add extra bulk with books, when you can easily add ebooks to the phone. When packing light, multi-purpose is important, so just as with multipurpose toiletries, I think any electronics/entertainment etc should be multi-purpose. I'm taking a Samsung Galaxy Note III, which has the stylus pen for all those that insist you can only make notes on paper! Save the trees! Books are heavy too. This device will act as camera (13mp camera), blogging device (walking for charity and will have followers), GPS (will download maps/routes from this site), phone (keeping in contact with my daughter), book (ebooks, and not limited to one book by weight), source of other info required, internet etc. Can read in the dark, which is not as easy with a paper book. And the Note III has a long battery life.

Given the choices of electronic devices that we can use, I am curious to learn the following:

4. Something else?
I took a paperback copy of the Brierly for the Cf. Besides finding it easy to share with other pilgrims on those very few occasions when we were puzzled as to directions, I used it to get stamps when my credencial was running out of space (at bars, etc, not albergues). I had my iPad which I used to blog along the way, and a cell phone and camera. Next time, I'd probably not bring the camera and use the one on my cell phone (as long as I could download photos from the cell to the iPad).
I know, most pilgrims wouldn't be as interested in documenting their trip as I was, but I'm very happy I did. (see blog)
I never felt that my electronics were in danger of being stolen - I was always cautious - and the only downside was the weight of the chargers, but it was a trade-off I was willing to make.
Yes, I would just take the paperback.

and the only downside was the weight of the chargers, .

Most devices these days use USB chargers. It's actually an EU law that new phones use USB. You can buy a two outlet USB charger that weighs next to nothing. The cables likely weight more then the charger.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Though this was an older post seeing that it has been reopened and as I am currently on the Camino I will tell you what I am doing. I have a copy of Brierly for looking at as I meander the path and I use my nexus 7 tablet for blogging, and occasionally using the kindle app for reading (the Gitlizt book is an excellent reference which one would not normally take on the camino). I don't own a phone, but I used the tablet to Skype my family at Christmas time. No problems getting WiFi, or charging, but then the Camino is not crowded at present! Janet

It is a rumour that John Brierley is working on an iOS app version of his famous camino guide.

I took my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone and it was indispensable, really. We went in early September and making reservations at either Casa Rurals or Albergues was critical. There was one day after a long walk where all of the beds were taken and we had to call ahead to get a bed. Without a reservation it would have been too much of a race for a bed every day. Not the Camino experience I was looking for.
Also, I used it as a camera to document the trip and automatically upload the photos to the web. Also as a reader for internet books and a Camino guide that I found on Amazon Kindle. It was an essential tool.
It would have been nice to completely "detach" (I confess that I did check a few work emails), but I don't think that I would have been able to stand the stress of not having a phone for reservations and emergencies.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jirit: I certainly hope the rumor is true. Please let us all know if anyone learns more about this.

Through the last edition (2013) the Brierley guidebook weighed nearly .4 kg (or about 1/2 pound). I have seen it written (Amazon, etc.) that the forthcoming early-2014 edition will be printed on lighter paper. We will see what that means. Lighter weight paper is not always better.

However, as I carry an iPod Touch to provide everything I need along the way except a mobile phone (I have a separate EU-SIM mobile). With the exception of the Brierley guide, every other thing I need or desire is stored on this small device. Carrying the half kg Brierley guide is becoming and extravagance when every gram counts.

If he is not going to product the iOS app version, I wish Mr. Brierley would at least produce a "lite" version of the book, sized smaller to fit in cargo pants pockets - like Michelin and MMD.

I see something in volume between the maps-only version and the full, philosophical version. Less insights, more information. While I value, respect, appreciate, and share his religious and philosophical insights, observations and suggestions, I would prefer not to carry them along for 800 Km or more. Perhaps making the insightful bits a detachable insert at the rear of the guide might be one answer. He could arrange it according to his standard 33 stages for cross-referencing. I detest "murdering" any book by tearing bits out as some pilgrims do. And the commentary does not strip out easily from the interleaved information at present.

From all the research and trying guides I have come across or borrowed from others, an optimum result might be a "marriage" if you will of the cartography and route information in the Michelin guide, with the current accommodation information in the Miam Miam Dodo series. A bi-lingual (FR-EN) version would be nice too. Both of these publications are French-only as I understand.

The Brierley guide is very good, and in fact appears to be the default guide book for the Camino Frances. But there are other fine guides out there. AND it is still frightfully heavy, The problems is that one must carry a small bookshelf with you to have all the information available.

Happy New Year!

We took our ipad minis and smartphones......the phones were basically used as cameras as we made very few calls. The tablets were, for us, indispensable for keeping in touch with the kids and business at home. We took no guide books but kept everything on the iPads. We tended to refer to mundicamino every day for route info, elevations, lodging, etc.

I'm bringing my nexus 7 tablet, which I will use for my communicating, blogging, skype, etc.

I am taking the Brierley's guide. As far as I know, there is no digital version available. I may take a bible if I can find a Catholic one small and cheap enough. If not, I'll find a digital one for the tablet. Aside from a journal, those are the only books I'll be bringing.

I haven't decided on the phone yet. My smartphone doesn't work in Europe, so I'll have to buy a new one. I may end up just going with a super-cheap "dumb" phone instead of a smartphone.

Like many others, I'd take the conventional print on paper guidebook.
If you're taking a tablet, a simple dumb phone will work for telephone communications.
For an electronic Bible (and more), take a look at Laudate. It's free, and available for both Android and iPhone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laudate-1-free-catholic-app/id499428207?mt=8

Buen Camino,
Jim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most devices these days use USB chargers. It's actually an EU law that new phones use USB. You can buy a two outlet USB charger that weighs next to nothing. The cables likely weight more then the charger.
Great point!
I took a wall plug (I used a triple outlet plug so I would be able to share with other pilgrims as needed and not "hog" the outlet) and had a two outlet USB outlet for it for the iPad and cell phone. But I had to carry a dedicated charger for my camera. This is one reason why I probably wouldn't take the separate camera next time and just use my cell phone.

Great point!
... But I had to carry a dedicated charger for my camera. This is one reason why I probably wouldn't take the separate camera next time and just use my cell phone.
Of course, there is always the option of taking a camera that uses AA batteries and not worry about a separate charger for the camera. I realize that for those who already have a camera that uses rechargeable batteries, this may not be an option; however, if someone is thinking about purchasing a new camera for the Camino or just for travel in general, it is something to consider. Unfortunately, cameras that use AA batteries are not as common as they were a few years ago, so it usually takes some searching to find them. This site, http://www.dpreview.com/products/ca..._source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu , contains detailed specifications, including battery types, for just about any current and recent camera.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Has anybody else successfully used the Galaxy Note on the Camino? I can see the many benefits but I can also definitely see the spiritual and practical downside of taking technology.
For me (Galaxy S3) was actually a huge aid for my spiritual journey. I kept my journal with voice recordings and very handy voice to text conversions. I walked to Audible versions of St. Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle and Way of Perfection and St. John of the Cross' Ascent of Mt. Carmel. With my breviary app, I was able to leave my brick of the Liturgy of the Hours at home. My electronic Missal allowed me to follow the daily readings and prayers in English at all of the masses. My Kindle app and Logos library allowed me to carry scripture, commentaries, writings of other saints, etc. I made a conscious decision not to indulge in games, MP3, or other distractions.

I tend to be pretty ascetic overall, and I'm deeply suspicious of the overall adverse impact too much technology can have on our spiritual lives, but I found my S3 to be an indispensable aid for my pilgrimage at the spiritual level.

Just my two cents.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Of course, there is always the option of taking a camera that uses AA batteries and not worry about a separate charger for the camera. I realize that for those who already have a camera that uses rechargeable batteries, this may not be an option; however, if someone is thinking about purchasing a new camera for the Camino or just for travel in general, it is something to consider. Unfortunately, cameras that use AA batteries are not as common as they were a few years ago, so it usually takes some searching to find them. This site, http://www.dpreview.com/products/ca..._source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu , contains detailed specifications, including battery types, for just about any current and recent camera.
Most new cameras and smartphones will charge via USB micro adapters, so double duty w/o recourse to batteries is quite possible.

This is an interesting question. The first time I walked (VDLP), there was no guide of any kind available in English,

You must have walked this route before 2009 then. In 2008 when I walked it there were two guides in English that I am aware of; the CSJ guide and Alison Raju's guide.

I'm planning to take an IPhone as A camera, Communication Device ( Viber and Whatsupp, No calls or texts) and easy referense book and guide (try TrekRight, seem very good,) and on iPad for video-journal and blogging.

One Perfect step at a time, I'll get there eventually.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are planning to take an iPhone, camera, Brierley Guide and Moleskine notebook. I have been back and forth about taking a iPad mini, but am thinking of opting to a laser keyboard instead: http://www.brookstone.com/laser-projection-virtual-keyboard
I have already loaded the Camino apps, but not really used them:
  • Eroski Camino
  • Camino Guide
  • Camino 2.0
  • Spain road map and guide
  • Iacobus
  • Camino de Santiago ES Cabecera
Any others?
I am loading the Gitlitz book on the Kindle app to have as a reference.
I plan to blog on the way and think the laser keyboard is an easier solution than bringing the ipad.

I also take the Brierley book to a print shop at home and have them cut off the hard binding. I remove the pages that I don't want to take and then have them put on a spiral binding. This has several advantages:
  • Lighter (the binding actually weighs a lot and the spiral is lighter, plus you can customize your pages
  • Opens flat and easier to use on a table
  • Can be kept open to the current section (I carry the book folded back on the section I am walking and keep it in the cargo pocket of my pants for easy access)
Hope this helps.
Rambler

If I were going alone, I would take a paper copy of Brierley and nothing else.

I, personally, love the Brierley book because it is very detailed, colorful, easy to read and a nice dimension for pocketing - but it is HEAVY. [ 11 oz. or 311g ]

Gerald Kelly's book is LIGHTER, but is all black and white, not as easy to view. [ 7 oz. or 198g ]

And, Robert Hamilton's guide weighing in at a hefty 13 oz. or 368g, wow.

Maybe we could suggest that Kelly, Brierley, and Hamilton all work together?

I wish Bierley had printed different books for different languages because this seems to add pages and weight.

I like the "Camino Lingo" book by Novoa & Nilsen. It is thin and light-weight at 5 oz. or 141g.

If Bierley could match this weight [ 5 oz./141 g ], it would, without doubt, be my favorite.

When grams or ounces matter, it can really add up.

Thank you to everyone who contributed here.

PS: Oh yeah…. I have a Moleskine Reporter's Notebook as well for jotting down notes, other pilgrim's email addresses and the like. Great item.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino,
Jim

This is a great charger: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTXA578/?tag=casaivar02-20

And, this Fuji camera is the most light-weight [ 5.5 oz. / 160g ] that takes two [2] AA batteries that do not recharge [ but you can replace along The Way ].

http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-Film-AX650-Digital-Camera/dp/B00DSLEK4A/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1407349258&sr=8-18&keywords=fuji cameras

It comes with a very high-quality zippered pouch [that is smaller than most wallets] with a long strap [ and a small carabiner to hook onto your belt loop ] to keep it accessible.

Hope this helps.

I found a great converter for EU, from "Walkabout Travel Gear": http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com

I have two [2] as one [1] is a back-up.

The "Walkabout Solution" weighs 4.0 oz. / .116kg and is a much better option because it has a USB port and various fold-inside prongs for Spain, Britain, and others in EU.

The first converter I ordered from another seller weighed almost a whopping two [ wow ] pounds. [ .91 kg ].

Hope this helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
...And, this Fuji camera is the most light-weight [ 5.5 oz. / 160g ] that takes two [2] AA batteries that do not recharge [ but you can replace along The Way ].
http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-Film-AX650-Digital-Camera/dp/B00DSLEK4A/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1407349258&sr=8-18&keywords=fuji cameras...
Regarding AA batteries, I exclusively use Energizer non-rechargeable batteries in my cameras which use AA batteries. They last many times longer than alkaline batteries. Take some extras from home, though -- I was never able to find lithium AA batteries along the CF.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back