Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Tacky or Cool?

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Frances
(2018) Portuguese
(2019) VdP Seville to Salamanca
(2020) VdP Salamanca to Santiago
No worse than other stuff I've seen. But only if the stamps are really copies of real stamps :) :)

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Did they get permission to use each one of those stamps??????:)

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
No worse than other stuff I've seen. But only if the stamps are really copies of real stamps :) :)
Someone should walk the way to verify...

koilife

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF w/ son #1 (2013); Logrono-Leon/Salvador/Primitivo w/ son #2 (2016); Portugues w/ son #3 (2020)
Really? A thread debating Camino fashion? Really?!

From people who walk hundreds of miles in the same two shirts and pairs of pants, sunburn turning tan on only one side of their body, hair like a crow's nest, stubble to make Don Johnson wince, ponchos flapping in the wind like death's scarecrow.

Really???

P.S. Totally awesome. I'll take four pairs. And the cell phone cover. And the T-shirt. Oh, and if I can get them in merino, I'll walk in them.

Last edited:

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"
"Selo Socks" I like the alteration!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
Not sure why people are saying "tacky" when there has been a Buff (R) showing Sellos (other designs are available) available for years and I've never heard any grumbles about them . . .

1581885730448.png

Yes I have one, no I've never worn it - "Oh, Jeff's been on the Camino, this will be a good present for him!"

FooteK

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; ??? to SdC (2020)
LOL, fun!!
I'm not crazy about the socks. I love the phone case - if only it came in my phone's size. The bedspread - if you took it to the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, could you get a Campostelle for it because it has so many stamps? Just wondering.

Camino(s) past & future
Ponferrada - Santiago (2013)
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Lugo to Finisterre (2017)
Porto Coastal (2019)
Not sure why people are saying "tacky" when there has been a Buff (R) showing Sellos (other designs are available) available for years and I've never heard any grumbles about them . . .

View attachment 69879

Yes I have one, no I've never worn it - "Oh, Jeff's been on the Camino, this will be a good present for him!"
I must admit I thought it was tacky, but I do have the Camino Buff Credencial like you. It is good to wear !

Paul Wilson

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese April 2019
Frances May 2021
I remember going to Lourdes with my parish and we had a competition to see who could find the tackiest gift, the light up Ave Maria playing ashtray came a close second but nothing says Mother of our Lord like a Virgin Mary penknife I’ll be back in Santiago in a few weeks so I think it might be time to resurrect the challenge

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
Who would wear things like this? They would totally clash with my St James authentic bathrobe with matching scallop shell belt...
Yeah, and the monogrammed shower cap I stole from the Parador. (I'm actually bald, but I couldn't resist it).

Actually, the fabric aside, I like them!

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"
They are so very tacky that they are in fact cool. Perhaps the definition of campy.
I would love to have my backpack silk-screened with the design.

Lindor

Camino(s) past & future
Starting Camino 02/04/2020
I remember going to Lourdes with my parish and we had a competition to see who could find the tackiest gift, the light up Ave Maria playing ashtray came a close second but nothing says Mother of our Lord like a Virgin Mary penknife I’ll be back in Santiago in a few weeks so I think it might be time to resurrect the challenge
My Mum went to Medugorje a few years ago, and told me there were statues of Our Lady with flashing neon Halo's, and a 'nodding' Jesus for your car on sale in the souvenir shops. So tacky imo, I can't think why anyone in their right mind would buy these items, especially someone who has gone to the trouble of going on a Catholic pilgramage
She was NOT amused, and needless to say, she didn't bring any back as gifts....
I think the camino socks/quilts/phone covers etc are OK as they are not showing religious icons......

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Crocs and socks??? - sacré bleu!!!!
I wonder if you are are making the boomer assumption (i.e. what was fashionable in my youth is still so) that the old-school ban on socks and sandals is (a) still valid in terms of coolth, and (b) transferable to crocs. :cool::cool:

A little bit of googling can reveal some interesting changes in this fashion statement over the years and across sub-cultures.

Last edited:

koilife

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF w/ son #1 (2013); Logrono-Leon/Salvador/Primitivo w/ son #2 (2016); Portugues w/ son #3 (2020)
My Mum went to Medugorje a few years ago, and told me there were statues of Our Lady with flashing neon Halo's, and a 'nodding' Jesus for your car on sale in the souvenir shops. So tacky imo, I can't think why anyone in their right mind would buy these items, especially someone who has gone to the trouble of going on a Catholic pilgramage
I think the camino socks/quilts/phone covers etc are OK as they are not showing religious icons......
As in so many other areas of human devotion and passion, Catholicism has it own kitsch fringes that sadly cross into sacrilage.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
My memory fails me but somewhere along the Frances (Ponferrada?) there's a church with a neon crucifix on the front wall which alternates between Christ and a cross

1582278999008.png

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Gotta get those leggings. It will coordinate with the buff that I am wearing right now in my office--map of the CF; it is my very favorite.
I don't own that particular buff, but I love it!

Delphinoula

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C. PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C.Franconia 2019 C.Algeciras Sevillia 2019
Swabian C. (2020)
It goes in an ensemble with shower shoes or sandals shorts a white ripped undershirt and brimmed hat and glasses with the movable sunglasses. Plus a book guide and you need to know everything better and does not hesitate to instruct his fellow man. Then they are perfekt.

West Coaster

Zoomer
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May-June 2015
It's good it does not contain any wool or cotton. If it's tight fitting all around then it's worth taking it for a test walk. Go for at least 20 km and see how they feel. If you have no sour red spots or burning feeling in your feet, buy a second pair and enjoy your camino.

motero99

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Norte (2020)
There was a poster in Burgo of a man's chest with Camino stamps. The people I was around thought it was cool.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_211c.jpg

gerip

Camino(s) past & future
CF, Lourdes to Burgos, Oct 2018
CF, Burgos to Santiago, May 2019
Ingles, Sep - Oct 2019
While on line at the Pilgrim Office I saw a French woman with a hiking skirt covered in cellos. I coveted. There's a fabric company that can do that for me........

SusanH

Camino(s) past & future
Walked 2014
Both! You get to take what you want and it it doesn’t work out, you can leave it behind in an albergue! Someone will always want what you discard! They are pretty darn fun!

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock