• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tacky or Cool?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did they get permission to use each one of those stamps??????:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Really? A thread debating Camino fashion? Really?!

From people who walk hundreds of miles in the same two shirts and pairs of pants, sunburn turning tan on only one side of their body, hair like a crow's nest, stubble to make Don Johnson wince, ponchos flapping in the wind like death's scarecrow.

Really???

P.S. Totally awesome. I'll take four pairs. And the cell phone cover. And the T-shirt. Oh, and if I can get them in merino, I'll walk in them.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure why people are saying "tacky" when there has been a Buff (R) showing Sellos (other designs are available) available for years and I've never heard any grumbles about them . . .

1581885730448.png

Yes I have one, no I've never worn it - "Oh, Jeff's been on the Camino, this will be a good present for him!"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
LOL, fun!!
I'm not crazy about the socks. I love the phone case - if only it came in my phone's size. The bedspread - if you took it to the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, could you get a Campostelle for it because it has so many stamps? Just wondering.

Not sure why people are saying "tacky" when there has been a Buff (R) showing Sellos (other designs are available) available for years and I've never heard any grumbles about them . . .

View attachment 69879

Yes I have one, no I've never worn it - "Oh, Jeff's been on the Camino, this will be a good present for him!"
I must admit I thought it was tacky, but I do have the Camino Buff Credencial like you. It is good to wear !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I remember going to Lourdes with my parish and we had a competition to see who could find the tackiest gift, the light up Ave Maria playing ashtray came a close second but nothing says Mother of our Lord like a Virgin Mary penknife I’ll be back in Santiago in a few weeks so I think it might be time to resurrect the challenge

Who would wear things like this? They would totally clash with my St James authentic bathrobe with matching scallop shell belt...
Yeah, and the monogrammed shower cap I stole from the Parador. (I'm actually bald, but I couldn't resist it).

Actually, the fabric aside, I like them!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They are so very tacky that they are in fact cool. Perhaps the definition of campy.
I would love to have my backpack silk-screened with the design.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I remember going to Lourdes with my parish and we had a competition to see who could find the tackiest gift, the light up Ave Maria playing ashtray came a close second but nothing says Mother of our Lord like a Virgin Mary penknife I’ll be back in Santiago in a few weeks so I think it might be time to resurrect the challenge
My Mum went to Medugorje a few years ago, and told me there were statues of Our Lady with flashing neon Halo's, and a 'nodding' Jesus for your car on sale in the souvenir shops. So tacky imo, I can't think why anyone in their right mind would buy these items, especially someone who has gone to the trouble of going on a Catholic pilgramage
She was NOT amused, and needless to say, she didn't bring any back as gifts....
I think the camino socks/quilts/phone covers etc are OK as they are not showing religious icons......

Crocs and socks??? - sacré bleu!!!!
I wonder if you are are making the boomer assumption (i.e. what was fashionable in my youth is still so) that the old-school ban on socks and sandals is (a) still valid in terms of coolth, and (b) transferable to crocs. :cool::cool:

A little bit of googling can reveal some interesting changes in this fashion statement over the years and across sub-cultures.

Last edited:
My Mum went to Medugorje a few years ago, and told me there were statues of Our Lady with flashing neon Halo's, and a 'nodding' Jesus for your car on sale in the souvenir shops. So tacky imo, I can't think why anyone in their right mind would buy these items, especially someone who has gone to the trouble of going on a Catholic pilgramage
I think the camino socks/quilts/phone covers etc are OK as they are not showing religious icons......
As in so many other areas of human devotion and passion, Catholicism has it own kitsch fringes that sadly cross into sacrilage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My memory fails me but somewhere along the Frances (Ponferrada?) there's a church with a neon crucifix on the front wall which alternates between Christ and a cross

1582278999008.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It goes in an ensemble with shower shoes or sandals shorts a white ripped undershirt and brimmed hat and glasses with the movable sunglasses. Plus a book guide and you need to know everything better and does not hesitate to instruct his fellow man. Then they are perfekt.

It's good it does not contain any wool or cotton. If it's tight fitting all around then it's worth taking it for a test walk. Go for at least 20 km and see how they feel. If you have no sour red spots or burning feeling in your feet, buy a second pair and enjoy your camino.

There was a poster in Burgo of a man's chest with Camino stamps. The people I was around thought it was cool.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_211c.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While on line at the Pilgrim Office I saw a French woman with a hiking skirt covered in cellos. I coveted. There's a fabric company that can do that for me........

Both! You get to take what you want and it it doesn’t work out, you can leave it behind in an albergue! Someone will always want what you discard! They are pretty darn fun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back